thetinyguy's ALL OUT training log!! *CAUTION OVERTRAINING*

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
thetinyguy's ALL OUT training log!! *HIGH VOLUME FTMFW*

Hey guys after some time I've decided to start writing up a good log on the amazing AM forum! I do keep detailed records for myself but i feel some people can possibly benefit from me sharing.

A little about me: I'm 6' 4" and 226Lbs at approx. 15% body fat**Edit based on caliper measurements it puts me to 15% i'll disregard the other site from now on**. I'm 21 years old and have been training for about 10 months now. My initial "bulk" i started last September and ended in March, i went from 170lbs to 246lbs. Yes, it took a SH*T ton of food and HARD consistent training. I did gain fat through the process but my strength levels exploded. I did this with HALF reps and what i would consider "heavy ass weight". I didn't do it for ego but i had tunnel vision of that heavy weights were the be-all end-all to growing and in a sense it worked very well. Fast forward to now i recently started slow controlled full range reps and it's like tackling an entire new animal. My training tempo used to not matter and now i'm using 1 second up, 3 seconds down and it's KILLER. I've always trained everything 1x/week. So up until now my frequency hasn't changed what so ever. So there you have it, New training style, New exercises, New frequency, New attitude and New growth bound to happen! My training ethic is VERY serious and i will NOT let anything get in my way. If you didn't know me and saw me training on leg day you would think i was literally crazy.
My goals over the next month is to INCREASE my training frequency, ultimately working up to 2x a week body-part training and improve my strength levels, recovery ability and work capacity all while in a calorie deficit that ranges from 700 calories to 1200 calories. I also am aiming for sub 10% body-fat and by then i believe i'll be primed up for an extremely effective lean bulk or my very first PH cycle *research is/has been done* most likely some sort of Halodrol, But if i keep progressing extremely well i'll disregard it completely. I've decided i will hold out on a PH for this winter and i plan to just have another all out bulk.
Foundation of Training as of now: I train body-parts every 6 days, I've checked my progress via previous sessions and i will continue to increase my training frequency as my recover ability allows. (Or as soon as i see stall in progression in which i will either take a week off or rotate exercises)
Current Supp's are: EAS Whey, Muscle-Tech Cell Tech, GNC Pro N.O. Loaded, Generic Glutamine, AI RecoverPro and Primaforce ZMA.
Current Diet: Training days-3000 calories. Off days-2500 calories. (Maintenance is 3700 Calories)
No macro breakdown just 250g Protein ON days, 200g Protein OFF (These numbers vary but are baselines)
Current Training Layout (Day On/Day Off) Sessions average approx. 2-4 Hours *I love catabolizing* :rolleyes:

Day 1: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps I aim to get at least one set of 10-12,8-10 and 4-6. *3*
Incline Bench Press (smith machine) - 3 sets of 4-12
Decline Bench Press (smith machine) - 3/4 sets of 4-12
Dumbbell Fly's - 2/3 sets of 8-20+
Dumbbell Seated Overhead Press - 2/3 sets of 5-10
Dumbbell Laterals - 2 sets of 10-20+
Dips - 2/3 sets of 5-10+
Rope Pushdown - Sets vary on how i feel sometimes i don't even make it to these but usually 2 sets of high reps.
Cardio 15min.
As you can see my rep schemes are all over the place BUT every week i'm at LEAST adding a few reps or more weight without a problem.
**Training has changed see page 8**

Day 2: OFF 45 min. "light" cardio aim to burn 500 calories on stationary bike.

Day 3: LEGS
ATG Squats - 3/4 sets of 8-20 reps *1 set of 20 is my favorite :sgrin:*
Seated Donkey Calve Raise Machine/Standing Calve Raises - 2 sets of 20+ followed by immediate rest pause death drop set with a held last rep until my calves literally give out.
Stiff Legged Deadlifts - 5 sets of 4-30+ reps
Leg Extensions - 3 sets of 12-20+ i do these very slow so it's more like a 2second up,hold,4-5 seconds down. Rest pause on these as well.
Leg Curls - Pyramid Set, I start with a light weight and try to get 20-30 reps and i continue to go up until i cannot get more than 6 reps in a 2second up/4-5 second down fashion. Hamstrings are my weak point and i just started higher volume and it seems to be working. :)
Cardio 15min.

Day 4: OFF 45min. cardio again same thing.

Day 5: Back/Biceps
Pull Ups Wide Grip *Palms Out*: 3/4 sets of 5-16, Negatives used when necessary.
Pull Ups Shoulder width *Overhand* : 4 sets
Pull Ups Close *Hammer Grip* : 3 sets of 8-16, Negatives also used.
Lat Isolation with Ab Straps on Lat Pulldown: 3 sets of 8-20+, Last rep on heavy set held and emphasized 10-15second negative.
1 Arm Dumbbell Row : 2 sets of 8-12
Hyper Extensions : 3 sets of 8-20+, In another month i'm switching to deadlifts :D
Dumbbell Shrugs : 2 sets of 6-20+
Dumbbell Concentration Curls : 2 sets of 4-20+, Rest Pause and Negatives used.
Dumbbell Hammer Curls : 1 set of 25+ reps, cheat if necessary just literally destroy the brachialis!!
Standing Barbell Wrist Curls : 2/3 sets of 100's, The pump from this is literally scary it feels like my forearm will explode!
Cardio 15min.

Day 6: OFF 45min. cardio

Repeat

6/12/11
Today was Cardio and light stretching with a little ab work.
Tomorrow: Chest/Shoulders/Tri's :angryfire:

**If i'm missing something i'll come back and edit it in**

Most recent pic's: 6/4/11-228lbs 12% (now 226lbs)

Week 2 Pic's - Page 3 Post#41 http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/177205-thetinyguys-all-out-3.html#post2909953
Week 4 Pic's - Page 6 Post#111 http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/177205-thetinyguys-all-out-6.html#post2924123
Week 7/8 Pic's - Page 14 Post#261 http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/177205-thetinyguys-all-out-14.html#post2947165
Week 10 Pic's - Page 23 Post#445 http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/177205-thetinyguys-all-out-23.html#post2968910

Attachments

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
It's kind of weird seeing these because it's only been a few weeks and i feel high reps are helping my shoulders. So excited to get SHREDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDED haha

Diet for the day: 2620Calories/223Grams Protein
300cal burned from cardio

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
6/13/11
Chest/Shoulders/Tri's
Duration: approx. 1 hour 45 min.
Mood: Kind of distracted because i was thinking about this job interview. Still had good focus.
Energy: Was pretty good, Not sure why but i started to poop out a little bit.
Other notes: Traps were really sore from Back/Bi's a few days ago and after some intense sets it annoyed me.
I also shortened my ROM a TINY bit because my shoulder really starts to bother me as the weights get heavier and i really don't care if people despise me for using less than full ROM. Not worth an injury!! I still use my slow tempo witch i never used on my partials and WOW did i feel it!
Lifts:
Inc. Bench-Focusing on exploding up, holding peak contraction then lowering for a 3-4 second count.
155 x 8 *PR* +3 reps
165 x 8 *PR* +5 reps
175 x 6 *PR* +10Lbs
195 x 3 *PR* +30Lbs
Dec. Bench-Focused on squeezing the sh*t out of my entire chest, Felt really strong. Only needed 2 sets to get the job done :)
175 x 10 *PR* +2 reps
195 x 5 *PR* +1 rep
DB Fly-My chest was thrashed after Inc/Dec bench press so i just focused on 1 set.
40 x 8 *Same as last week but a tiny bit slower*
DB Seated OH Press-Once again front delts were bombed from pressing got 1 good set in.
45 x 5 *PR* +5lbs
DB Laterals-High reps have been working really well so i do WHATEVER it takes to pump more out! 3 solid sets.
5 x 70 *PR* +2.5lbs (used plates)
30 x 30 *PR* +9 reps
35 x 18 *PR* +8 reps
Dips (Assisted)- After all the pressing and such i'm pretty trashed so 2 sets of these.
-70lbs x 8 *PR* +3 reps
-50lbs x 5 + Negative *PR*
V-Bar Pushdowns-Usually use rope but i decided to switch it up today 2 sets.
20 x 100 *PR*
50 x 10 + Negative *PR*

Pre-Workout i used GNC PRO AMP N.O. Loaded - Provided good energy but tastes horrid and is hard to keep down :S
Intra-Workout i used 3 scoops AI's RecoverPRO Lemon flavored and sipped on this entire workout. This should help me out on these hard sessions.
Post-Workout i used 2 scoops Muscle-Tech Cell Tech for some quick carbs (75grams) also 3 scoops whey (69grams protein)
Feeling pretty tired, I might consider ditching Dumbbell Fly's honestly i think the compounds are good enough at this point. All i can see them good for right now is a super high rep set to get blood in the muscle(s) Well have to see how i feel over the next few weeks.
Also did 15minutes of posing/stretching.
TRAIN HARD!!
-thetinyguy

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Very nice Nick. Id up the protein a little esp during intense training maybe like 300 grams protein, including bcaa's--This is during periods of intense training. During times when you reduce intensity you can back down to one gram of protein per pound.

what body-fat measurement are you going by?

if you decide to do the hdrol cycle I recommend 75 mgs for six weeks and use it to lose body-fat.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Very nice Nick. Id up the protein a little esp during intense training maybe like 300 grams protein, including bcaa's--This is during periods of intense training. During times when you reduce intensity you can back down to one gram of protein per pound.

what body-fat measurement are you going by?

if you decide to do the hdrol cycle I recommend 75 mgs for six weeks and use it to lose body-fat.
Thanks John :)

With BCAA's included i should be hovering right above 300 grams on training days, I'll kick it up some on off days as well i don't see how i wouldn't benefit from it anyways.

The body-fat measurements are used by this calculator that bases your percentage based on waist/hip/wrist/forearm measurements. Also weight and height.
http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html
I honestly think it's pretty accurate because it equates to me having about 25lbs of fat on me, If it's higher i really don't mind because either way it's coming off! It doesn't help i'm pale as a ghost :S

I'm so tempted to run hdrol but i'm gonna just be patient......for now. :eek:

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Oh yea!

In on this. GREAT start!

Best of luck

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
Nice work thus far, but if that is 12% I must be at about negative 25%... I would guess a more accurate measure to be in the 20% range. That's not a bad thing, it's just good to know where you are currently so you can have accurate and realistic goals to work towards.

Also, for chest, I'd recommend switching from the Smith machine to dumbbells or barbell and dropping the decline bench press all together. Looking back after years of lifting, I feel like I spent too long thinking that I needed to work the chest from every angle every workout (flat, incline, decline, fly, etc) in order to have a proper chest workout. Over the past six months, however, I've switched to 3 angles of incline press, flys, and dumbbell pullovers (perpendicular to the bench) for my chest workout, and I couldn't be happier with the progress. Because I feel that my chest is slightly lagging, I also do flat barbell bench and weighted dips another day of the week.

Just my two cents. Keep up the good work.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
owlicks: I hear you on the bf estimate, Either way progress is inevitable. Honestly pic's don't do my chest justice whatsoever, i'm 100% sure the leaner i get the more the pic's will reveal it though. I do plan to switch to dumbbell movements after the leaning phase. I want to keep all my movements through my cut so when i switch my routine to 2x/week and eat slightly above maintenance that not only will a new training stimulus be initiated, But since the diet will change it'll be like a completely new growing phase. Plus keep in mind that even 12% bf on me would be at least 25lbs worth of fat so lower BF percentages will not look as drastic on me. Ex. 300lb man 10% BF would be 30Lbs of fat, 200lb man 10% BF would be 20Lbs of fat and 100lb man 10% BF would be 10Lbs so Body fat percentages are not created equal. Just food for thought :)

John: I do plan on waiting :)

Mrodz: Thanks! I'm going to give it 200%

Crowler & AI: Thanks for the support!

*Update* I'll be taking more pic's on the 18th so every 2 weeks i'll update my progress with pic's for feedback.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Diet Breakdown 6/13/11
Maintenance: 3,700 Calories
Approx. 3,110 Calories
340 Grams of Protein
590 Calorie Deficit + Calories burned from Training
Notes: Felt pretty tired today, I was going to eat more towards maintenance but my appetite didn't change so i'm sure i'm good to go.
Cardio tomorrow and stretching.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm so tempted to run hdrol but i'm gonna just be patient......for now. :eek:
The lower bodyfat you start with, and the more finely tuned your diet + training are the better your results will be.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
The lower bodyfat you start with, and the more finely tuned your diet + training are the better your results will be.
Yeah that's what i read constantly, I'm still not sure if ill even start it after i cut down. We will just have to see.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
So after cardio today *burned 510 calories* I talked with my friend and asked him what he thought about cardio on training days. He said to just do it because anything you lose you will gain back. From now on i'm gonna do 15minutes of cardio before training which will add another 600 calories or so burned for each week. Should kick up the fat loss pretty well :)

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
So after cardio today *burned 510 calories* I talked with my friend and asked him what he thought about cardio on training days. He said to just do it because anything you lose you will gain back. From now on i'm gonna do 15minutes of cardio before training which will add another 600 calories or so burned for each week. Should kick up the fat loss pretty well :)
I'd reconsider this approach. Your approach to fat loss should be ENTIRELY dictated by your diet. Figure out your exact maintenance level, then aim to eat about 500 calories below that. Don't cheat yourself on this, the more exacting you are with this approach in terms of measuring your EXACT caloric intake, the better results you will see. I use the MyFitnessPal iPhone app, but you can also just use their website. If you are consistent with your lifting while doing this, you WILL shed the fat.

The best way to think about cardio is to take it as exactly what the name implies: exercise for your lungs and heart. I do 10 minutes of intense cardio AFTER lifting every other lifting day and never on the same day that I do legs. Make sure it is intense enough to really get your heart working. I will also do two longer cardio days per week (40 min of cardio) on non-lifting days.

The sooner you come to terms with the fact that your body composition is based on your nutrition and cardio is simply to build heart and lung strength, the quicker you will see the results you want. As an aside, never trust the numbers that the cardio machines give you in terms of calories burned. As far as I'm concerned, those "calories burned" are irrelevant to your daily caloric intake. Just stick with your straight up caloric numbers and remember that the resistance training is going to boost your metabolism, which will in turn yield a progressively leaner look, assuming your nutrition is on point.

Edit: I forgot to mention the fact that too much cardio WILL indeed contribute to muscle fatigue, which is fine for a distance runner, but not okay if your goal is to build a bodybuilder-like physique. That is why I suggest limiting cardio to intense heart and lung exercise, along with only a couple extended workouts. If you are dedicating your energy to cardio, especially pre-lifting, your lifting will absolutely suffer and you may not achieve the results you want.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
I'd reconsider this approach. Your approach to fat loss should be ENTIRELY dictated by your diet. Figure out your exact maintenance level, then aim to eat about 500 calories below that. Don't cheat yourself on this, the more exacting you are with this approach in terms of measuring your EXACT caloric intake, the better results you will see. I use the MyFitnessPal iPhone app, but you can also just use their website. If you are consistent with your lifting while doing this, you WILL shed the fat.

The best way to think about cardio is to take it as exactly what the name implies: exercise for your lungs and heart. I do 10 minutes of intense cardio AFTER lifting every other lifting day and never on the same day that I do legs. Make sure it is intense enough to really get your heart working. I will also do two longer cardio days per week (40 min of cardio) on non-lifting days.

The sooner you come to terms with the fact that your body composition is based on your nutrition and cardio is simply to build heart and lung strength, the quicker you will see the results you want. As an aside, never trust the numbers that the cardio machines give you in terms of calories burned. As far as I'm concerned, those "calories burned" are irrelevant to your daily caloric intake. Just stick with your straight up caloric numbers and remember that the resistance training is going to boost your metabolism, which will in turn yield a progressively leaner look, assuming your nutrition is on point.

Edit: I forgot to mention the fact that too much cardio WILL indeed contribute to muscle fatigue, which is fine for a distance runner, but not okay if your goal is to build a bodybuilder-like physique. That is why I suggest limiting cardio to intense heart and lung exercise, along with only a couple extended workouts. If you are dedicating your energy to cardio, especially pre-lifting, your lifting will absolutely suffer and you may not achieve the results you want.
My diet is a either 2500-2800 OFF days (900-1200 below) or 3000-3200 TRAINING days (500-700 below) as stated above (Maintenance is 3700). I'm averaging a 1lb fat loss every 4 days and my strength continues to rise session after session? Just because i'm not lean and ripped right now does not mean i have no clue on what i'm doing, people will scrutinize me from my fat gain but I INTENDED to gain some fat from my initial bulk but at a benefit of size/strength. I respect your opinion but I've done my homework.

Good point on cardio i don't usually think about it like that to be honest.

The calories burned may be "irrelevant" but if i burn more it does equate to more fat loss, Believe me I've done a cardio program before (at 160lbs) that was so intense you all would probably pass out from it. Even though my diet was sh*t i still leaned out a good amount had abs and according to everyone around me "looked good". The "calories burned" gives me a good idea of my cardio INTENSITY as say one session i "burn" 200 calories in 15 minutes and the next time i "burn" 150 calories in 15 minutes. Obviously the intensity was higher in the first session and since my bodyweight is out of the equation since i'm seated and peddling i believe it is mostly accurate.

Well of course a calorie deficit will "yield a progressively leaner look" with weight training (calories are ALSO burned from resistance training)! but conditioning is JUST AS or MORE important than calories, especially in the legs! The legs are MADE to handle intense stresses placed upon them so if your legs are "fatigued" from a little extra cardio then you need to obviously train your legs harder. What are you going to just stop walking for the day because "your legs are fatigued" ?

In fact my legs have been the strongest part of me in terms of lifting progress and overall size. I don't do cardio before hand on any training sessions and even since starting cardio my legs are stronger every week, I've had solid PR's for the past few months with leg day. Obviously my legs are shrinking and don't have enough energy to provide progressive overload stimulus to them... If they were smaller/weaker from the cardio then people wouldn't compliment me on them either. My plan is drawn up from first hand experience so far and not speculation. Either way i thank you for the "constructive criticism" :) Do what works best for you, people tend to forget this phrase.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Diet Breakdown 6/14/11
(Maintenance: 3,700 calories)
**EDIT**3100 calories
307 Grams Protein
-510 Burned from cardio
-600 calorie deficit

** I'm gonna experiment and try doing 3200-3300 calories from now on with some more carbs and see how it affects my energy levels**

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Diet Breakdown 6/14/11
(Maintenance: 3,700 calories)
**EDIT**3100 calories
307 Grams Protein
-510 Burned from cardio
-600 calorie deficit

** I'm gonna experiment and try doing 3200-3300 calories from now on with some more carbs and see how it affects my energy levels**
Keep giving it hell bro.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Keep giving it hell bro.
HELL YEAH!! I'm so happy i just got back from an interview and the guy was beyond awesome, since i presented myself so well he was already giving me suggestions for departments to work and certain hours to accommodate me. NOW TIME FOR AN EPIC LEG SESSION AND KILL THE IRON!!!!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
HELL YEAH!! I'm so happy i just got back from an interview and the guy was beyond awesome, since i presented myself so well he was already giving me suggestions for departments to work and certain hours to accommodate me. NOW TIME FOR AN EPIC LEG SESSION AND KILL THE IRON!!!!
good to hear Nick.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
good to hear Nick.
Thanks John

Today was AWESOME, My squat is right at 300 now and i got 2 reps tried the 3rd and just couldn't get out of the hole. NOTHING BUT PR'S TODAY!!! So happy with the progress, Plus i think the extra calories will really help me grow a little into this cut. Will update with leg session stat's later on!

TurningGreen

TurningGreen

Awards
Looks like your in it for the long run bro...good to see. Watch your cardio before your lifting sessions, dont want to reduce glycogen stores before you hit the iron...youll be spinning your wheels. Keep learning and keep up the good work. Oh try out Accumeasure caliper, its cheap and has decent accuacy. I just started a pretty mean cut myself, check it out if youd like

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/primordial-performance/177113-4wk-androhard-androlean.html

Last edited:
thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Looks like your in it for the long run bro...good to see. Watch your cardio before your lifting sessions, dont want to reduce glycogen stores before you hit the iron...youll be spinning your wheels. Keep learning and keep up the good work. Oh try out Accumeasure caliper, its cheap and has decent accuacy. I just started a pretty mean cut myself, check it out if youd like

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/primordial-performance/177113-4wk-androhard-androlean.html
Definitely, I'll train until the day i die! I've decided to not do cardio before training or after it kind of messes up my mindset and i know i'm burning a **** ton lifting anyways. BF to me right now is becoming irrelevant because i know it'll take some time, My primary focus now is to gain strength and fill out. You look sick my friend! Definitely will be checking that out. Is that your very first cycle? Great job so far!

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
On a side note i'm REALLY REALLY seeing a difference in my shoulders and the only thing i've changed is i do really really high reps with a pretty heavy weight (cheating too) I literally saw a NOTICEABLE difference today and i doubt it's from the fat. I somehow popped up 2-3lbs since last week even after pooping. I know this could be a water issue or something but i can actually see it and i feel more full. So far from full range I've noticed shoulder pain from benching, Up until this point i did comfortable ROM and going back to this seems to be working very well. The benefit now is that i do slower more controlled reps which i really feel was the missing link from before. Not to say cheat reps are bad but i do them relatively controlled with as little swing as possible. The pics will tell it all hopefully this weekend. Feeling very very good about this right now, My legs however have benefited a LOT from Full range so i'm glad i fixed that. :) Will update lifts tonight!

CoorsLight126

CoorsLight126

Awards
good luck dude, I'll be checking out this log from time to time

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
TurningGreen

TurningGreen

Awards
Definitely, I'll train until the day i die! I've decided to not do cardio before training or after it kind of messes up my mindset and i know i'm burning a **** ton lifting anyways. BF to me right now is becoming irrelevant because i know it'll take some time, My primary focus now is to gain strength and fill out. You look sick my friend! Definitely will be checking that out. Is that your very first cycle? Great job so far!
Thanks for checking out my log. Yes first cyle ever. I did a lot of research before jumping in and have a firm grip on nutrition and weight training. Hoping to get a helping hand from ah/al during this cycle. I would like to really lean out the rough spots haha.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Leg Day!! 6/15/11
Duration: approx. 1 hour 30 min.
Mood: Very very happy! Just got finished with a very successful interview prior to training! :D
Energy: Was HUGE ready to go destroy iron!
Other notes: At first i was a little worried because in the power rack there's a lot of chalk around the floor from the powerlifting guys so i was a little worried about my feet slipping but after a few warm-up sets i felt very confident and ready to go. I pushed squats to FAILURE today which was absolutely crazy.
When a lift just has "PR" it means i have never done any reps with that weight before.
Lifts:
Barbell Back Squats-in Power Rack with safety pins set at 3rd pin.
225 x 20 *PR*
245 x 20 *PR* +8 reps
275 x 1 -7 reps, Did this set after the heaviest and after one rep i realized i was thrashed.
295 x 2 *PR*
Notes: I tried to spend more time on squats today and less on isolation movements.
Lying Leg Curls-I am planning on switching to stiff legged dead lifts as soon as i lose more of my fat. Along with a whole new different training setup i feel i'll grow faster than ever! Did very very slow negatives on these and threw in rest pause to increase the intensity.
60 x 20 *PR* +6 reps
75 x 11 *PR* +6 reps
90 x 8 *PR*
105 x 5 *PR*
I pyramid set up to a weight i can only do 5 reps with 2 seconds up 5 seconds down and then pyramid back down.
Seated Leg Extensions *Plate Loaded*-These are done with 1 second up, then a static hold at top for 2 seconds and then lowered slowly at a count of 4-5 seconds. Rest pause utilized.
180 x 20 *PR* +7 reps and 10 second negative on last rep.
200 x 12 *PR*
45 Degree Seated Calve Raises-The lower rep sets are done at a 2 second up and hold for about 3 seconds then lower for 2-3 seconds. The higher rep sets are used just to pump them out at any cost yes, even cheating folks :)
135 x 12 *PR*
150 x 20 *PR* Held last rep until calves literally gave out, I try to train my calves excruciatingly hard to ensure they grow. :angryfire:
Drop Set

Pre-Workout: Used GNC product again, hard to drink as usual but i was in such a good mood i just gulped it down.
Intra-Workout: RecoverPRO to the rescue!! Tasted great and 100% sure i benefited from it once again.
Post-Workout: Muscle-Tech Cell-Tech again along with 70 Grams protein of EAS Whey.
Afterthoughts: AMAZING session, was really really happy with the new squat PR and it kind of gave me a taste of how much effort it's gonna take to start mustering up to 20 reps with it. I'll aim for at least 8 next week!
Side Note: After some well needed carbs a few hours after my workout i really really felt myself "Fill out" and i felt amazing. This is one of the first time's i've noticed it! High reps must be starting to take effect. (ex. increase in the volume of the non-contractile muscle cell fluid, sarcoplasm.) :burnout:
It seems that training in all rep ranges is becoming really effective for me. I still have my size but i feel more of a "pump" now with the higher reps.
TRAIN HARD!!

-thetinyguy

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Diet Breakdown 6/15/11
(Maintenance is 3700)
Calories:3290
Protein: 317 Grams

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Diet Breakdown 6/16/11
(Maintenance is 3700)
Calories:3200
Protein: 291 Grams
Side Note: Feeling a lot better from the extra calories and to be completely honest i see a difference size wise. Must be the extra carbs or maybe from using a new combination of slower tempo and Half reps (not on legs).

Tomorrow: Back/Bi's, Going to experiment with a different range of motion with the slow tempo and see how it goes tomorrow. :angryfire:
Also possibly switching/adding in ez bar "cheat" curls. Probably will just add it in.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Back/Bi's 6/17/11
Mood: Anxious to lift and increase intensity! Pumped up!
Energy: Solid and felt really really confident.
Other notes: Emphasized a lot of rest/pause and cheat reps today. It was EXTREMELY successful i feel so tired right now i want to sleep but i'm sure this hugeeeee meal will make me feel better!
Lifts
Assisted Overhand Wide-Grip Pull Ups- Used straps today one these to try to focus more on my back contracting rather than my elbow flexors.
-90 x 20 *PR* Rest pause utilized.
-70 x 10 *PR*
-50 x 5 *PR* Rest pause utilized.
Assisted Hammer-Grip Pull Ups- Straps also used to help isolate back.
-100 x 10 *PR* +4 Reps
-90 x 10 *PR*
-70 x 8 *PR*
Lat Isolation Pulldowns (Using Ab Straps)
140 x 8 *PR* Used cheat reps and held last rep as long as i could.
130 x 14 *PR* +5 Reps
100 x 33 *PR* Also held last rep.
70 x 60 *PR*
1-Arm DB Row (Leg on bench)
130 x 8 *PR* Utilized rest pause and was a KILLER SET!
110 x 12 *PR* Also used rest pause, was so tired after these 2 sets i had to take a couple minutes to prepare for shrugs!
DB Shrugs
90 x 21 *PR* Cutting down the volume (set wise) for traps since i hit them with other back movements plus i want to stay somewhat in proportion.
DB Concentration Curls- Rest pause and negatives utilized, My bi's were fried from all the heavy rowing and pull ups by now so i only did 1 heavy set.
5 x 100 *PR* +25 Reps, Did these high rep sets standing.
10 x 50 *PR* +20 Reps, Also done standing.
40 x 7 *PR* +3 Reps, Rest Pause and accentuated negatives.
Standing Barbell Wrist Curls- Weight is total of 45Lbs bar + plates.
55 x 50
55 x 30
55 x 25
Drop set to 45Lb bar only.
Standing DB Hammer Curls 1 all out set, cheating included with rest pause. Was F*CKING CRAZY!!
35 x 30 *PR*

Pre-Workout: GNC N.O. Loaded used again. I'm very happy i'm not building up a tolerance to all this stuff :)
Intra-Workout: Lemon RecoverPRO 3 scoops!
Post-Workout: Muscle-Tech Cell-Tech 2 scoops.
After Thoughts: Crazy session i was so focused i started to ramble to myself but i could care less with all the progress i'm making. Everytime i get in the gym i just TRY harder, So even though i may be using a heavier weight i still try to get more reps no matter WHAT! My forearms are killing me just typing this as well!
Side Notes: I need to remember to slowly lower the dumbbells on 1-arm DB rows because i felt a little irritation in my right elbow but it isn't bad at all. Just a reminder to myself that even though i want to drop the stupid DB after the set to just slowly lower it. :D
Really exhausted about to go eat EPIC amounts of food!!! These extra few hundred calories are making a HUGE difference.
TRAIN HARD!!

-thetinyguy

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Diet Breakdown 6/16/11
(Maintenance is 3700)
Calories:3200
Protein: 291 Grams
Side Note: Feeling a lot better from the extra calories and to be completely honest i see a difference size wise. Must be the extra carbs or maybe from using a new combination of slower tempo and Half reps (not on legs).

Tomorrow: Back/Bi's, Going to experiment with a different range of motion with the slow tempo and see how it goes tomorrow. :angryfire:
Also possibly switching/adding in ez bar "cheat" curls. Probably will just add it in.
Its the extra calories, Youll be surprised how an extra 100 carbs can make you feel and recover. Dont go like this all the time though or it equals fat gain. ever cycle calories?

Back/Bi's 6/17/11
Mood: Anxious to lift and increase intensity! Pumped up!
Energy: Solid and felt really really confident.
Other notes: Emphasized a lot of rest/pause and cheat reps today. It was EXTREMELY successful i feel so tired right now i want to sleep but i'm sure this hugeeeee meal will make me feel better!
Lifts
Assisted Overhand Wide-Grip Pull Ups- Used straps today one these to try to focus more on my back contracting rather than my elbow flexors.
-90 x 20 *PR* Rest pause utilized.
-70 x 10 *PR*
-50 x 5 *PR* Rest pause utilized.
Assisted Hammer-Grip Pull Ups- Straps also used to help isolate back.
-100 x 10 *PR* +4 Reps
-90 x 10 *PR*
-70 x 8 *PR*
Lat Isolation Pulldowns (Using Ab Straps)
140 x 8 *PR* Used cheat reps and held last rep as long as i could.
130 x 14 *PR* +5 Reps
100 x 33 *PR* Also held last rep.
70 x 60 *PR*
1-Arm DB Row (Leg on bench)
130 x 8 *PR* Utilized rest pause and was a KILLER SET!
110 x 12 *PR* Also used rest pause, was so tired after these 2 sets i had to take a couple minutes to prepare for shrugs!
DB Shrugs
90 x 21 *PR* Cutting down the volume (set wise) for traps since i hit them with other back movements plus i want to stay somewhat in proportion.
DB Concentration Curls- Rest pause and negatives utilized, My bi's were fried from all the heavy rowing and pull ups by now so i only did 1 heavy set.
5 x 100 *PR* +25 Reps, Did these high rep sets standing.
10 x 50 *PR* +20 Reps, Also done standing.
40 x 7 *PR* +3 Reps, Rest Pause and accentuated negatives.
Standing Barbell Wrist Curls- Weight is total of 45Lbs bar + plates.
55 x 50
55 x 30
55 x 25
Drop set to 45Lb bar only.
Standing DB Hammer Curls 1 all out set, cheating included with rest pause. Was F*CKING CRAZY!!
35 x 30 *PR*

Pre-Workout: GNC N.O. Loaded used again. I'm very happy i'm not building up a tolerance to all this stuff :)
Intra-Workout: Lemon RecoverPRO 3 scoops!
Post-Workout: Muscle-Tech Cell-Tech 2 scoops.
After Thoughts: Crazy session i was so focused i started to ramble to myself but i could care less with all the progress i'm making. Everytime i get in the gym i just TRY harder, So even though i may be using a heavier weight i still try to get more reps no matter WHAT! My forearms are killing me just typing this as well!
Side Notes: I need to remember to slowly lower the dumbbells on 1-arm DB rows because i felt a little irritation in my right elbow but it isn't bad at all. Just a reminder to myself that even though i want to drop the stupid DB after the set to just slowly lower it. :D
Really exhausted about to go eat EPIC amounts of food!!! These extra few hundred calories are making a HUGE difference.
TRAIN HARD!!

-thetinyguy
Nice workout , supplementation and nutrition

how is the sleep?

TurningGreen

TurningGreen

Awards
At one point I added a cup of brown rice to my pre-workout meal, and it was unbelievable the amount of energy and stamina it supplied. Sometimes I think food is the best Supplement (at an affordable price too).

Log looks good bro, Im loving the details

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Its the extra calories, Youll be surprised how an extra 100 carbs can make you feel and recover. Dont go like this all the time though or it equals fat gain. ever cycle calories?

Nice workout , supplementation and nutrition

how is the sleep?
Honestly i don't think i'll need another 100g carbs, i'm still not eating close to maintenance but it is making a huge difference. I'm now just aiming for a 500 deficit each day and i'll probably stick to it until i'm done dieting. :)

My sleep is pretty good, Sometimes i have a hard time falling asleep but it's been getting better. A good 7-8 hours on average.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
At one point I added a cup of brown rice to my pre-workout meal, and it was unbelievable the amount of energy and stamina it supplied. Sometimes I think food is the best Supplement (at an affordable price too).

Log looks good bro, Im loving the details
Hell yeah my pre-workout meal is 1 cup whole grain oats and it's been such a staple that i literally haven't changed it at all with the exception of a little bit of brown sugar :D I agree, food is a vital player in everything.

Glad you like it! I'm trying to be as descriptive as i can, It takes a little longer but it's worth it.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Diet Breakdown 6/17/11
(Maintenance is 3700 Calories)
Calories: 3360 (a little over for the day but not too worried about it as today was probably the most intense back/bi day yet!)
Protein: 300 Grams
Tomorrow: Cardio and stretching

Mrodz

Mrodz

Awards
  • Established
Just checking in Tiny, your doing a great job! Love the details.
7-8 hours of good sleep is just about perfect, true some ppl need more and some less but it's the ideal range for recuperation and optimal test levels

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Just checking in Tiny, your doing a great job! Love the details.
7-8 hours of good sleep is just about perfect, true some ppl need more and some less but it's the ideal range for recuperation and optimal test levels
Thanks! I'm doing the best i can, i'll be posting some new pic's up this weekend too. I love sleeping a lot too today i decided to just sleep in for once, My back is SORE haha

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Pic's!
First is 2 weeks ago on 6/4/11
Next was today
Not really expecting a drastic difference but i didn't realize the lighting was also different so for the sake of accuracy i'll make sure i take almost the same pic/pose every 2 weeks.

Attachments

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
I'm also gonna go out on a limb and say that Full range didn't really do anything for me except maybe even make me regress. Here is a pic just before i started using full range, I was still using HIT sets principles but with my ROM and i was getting into some pretty heavy weight which is why i got scared into full range but what really needs tweaking is tempo and exercise execution. At this point i was doing pressing movements down until my arms were in a right angle. It might also be the lighting and the fact that i had more fat on me but who knows. I think my best option at this point is to use what worked before and tweak it with slower controlled reps and better form setup, I'm extremely confident this will work very well!

**EDIT** Upon looking at another set of pic's before/after HIT and Full Range reps i see a noticeable difference in the chest. HIT actually helped me out a good amount to recover kind of like a "deload" month but as soon as full range was thrown in that month my chest looks noticeably smaller. This change happened BEFORE i started grinding down on diet/cardio so i don't believe it's caused by dieting/fat loss so much. Good thing i looked it up! :)
Also goes to show you that the "Guidelines" to lift weights are specific to individuals and shouldn't be overly emphasized/justified to everyone. I can see it being a good way to learn the movement of the exercise that's about it for me.

Attachments

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Diet Breakdown 6/18/11
(Maintenance is 3700 calories)
Calories: 3280
Protein: 296 Grams

Tomorrow is Chest/Shoulders/Tri's, Going to remove DB flys and do slight incline DB press so i can hit my upper chest a lot better. I'm also considering swapping out pushdowns for close grip bench. So pretty much removing some isolation exercises. Not 100% sure on this yet though. Well see tomorrow :)

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Morning weight as of 6/19/11 is 228.2Lbs (+2lbs)

Now i don't really have to say anything as I've been in a caloric deficit along with doing cardio so those 2lbs aint fat ;) I can also see subtle differences in my physique now like everything seems to be growing/filling out which makes me happy! I put so much effort into my sessions so i'm glad that the extra calories were the missing key. I'm looking slightly leaner every day as well, Really really looking forward to Chest/Shoulders/Tri's today i'm gonna focus primarily on squeezing my upper chest.

TurningGreen

TurningGreen

Awards
I was wondering if you were doing any carb loading to meet your maintenance calories? I usually load up to my maintenance every fourth or fifth day, for example day 1-3 I eat 2,382 cal. (low carbs, less than 100g) then day four I eat 3,402 cal. (the extra 1,020 cal. from carbs) then back to 2,382 cal. (low carb)...and repeat. Its like throwing gasoline on your metabolism.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
I was wondering if you were doing any carb loading to meet your maintenance calories? I usually load up to my maintenance every fourth or fifth day, for example day 1-3 I eat 2,382 cal. (low carbs, less than 100g) then day four I eat 3,402 cal. (the extra 1,020 cal. from carbs) then back to 2,382 cal. (low carb)...and repeat. Its like throwing gasoline on your metabolism.

Actually i haven't tried that, Sounds really interesting i'll give it a shot sooner or later! For now i don't think i'll need it because i'm KILLING these sessions! (even that's an understatement) Really really satisfied with how things are going. :D

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Chest/Shoulders/Tri's 6/19/11
Duration: approx. 1 hour 45 min.
Mood: AWESOME, Going back and combining the old & the new today made everything EPIC.
Energy: Extremely solid again!
Other notes: Rotated out incline bench as i do not feel/see progress from my upper chest which I've been doing for a good 3/4 months, started doing slight incline DB presses and they worked EXTREMELY well after only 1 set! Had a huge upper chest pump and for the first time EVER felt i have isolated it successfully!
Lifts:
Slight Incline DB Press-What i decided to start doing is pull my shoulders up almost like a shrug and press with my elbows tucked somewhat to my sides. I RECOMMEND if you have problems with upper chest just to try this at least once I've never had such a feeling of contraction in the upper chest than with this. Dumbbells recommended as you can really focus on the contraction! This worked so well i didn't feel it in my mid/lower chest at ALL that's how well it contracts! Also before you even try an upper chest exercise put your arms in front of you and squeeze your chest, Now try shrugging your shoulders and do the same with one hand on your upper chest, Chances are it's contracted that's the feel you want on this movement! Oh and focus on pressing the dumbbells up above your forehead at the top of the movement. Like an arch from bottom to top.
20 x 60 *PR* Pump Set, Did this first to get the "feel" for the contraction of upper chest.
45 x 16 *PR* Slow/Controlled
55 x 8 *PR* Slow/Controlled
60 x 6 *PR* Slow/Controlled
Decline Bench-Did these with slow/controlled shorter range of motion reps and WOW my arms were shaking like crazy but NO SHOULDER PAIN :D
155 x 33 *PR* This was an absolute killer, I focused on banging out as many as possible while slowing down at the bottom to minimize chance of shoulder pain/injury.
195 x 12 *PR* +7 Reps
215 x 8 *PR*
225 x 6 *PR* Still keeping all ranges of reps! 1 second up/3 seconds down.
Seated DB Overhead Press
45 x 9 *PR* +4 Reps
50 x 6 *PR*
DB Laterals-These sets were pure hell, I don't care what anyone says you pick up a heavy dumbbell and try and "use momentum" to smash out reps. I call BS that it "doesn't stimulate the muscle fibers" My shoulders were CRYING for me to stop! And to be honest i still had SOLID form doing these it's not a super duper perfect form but i could control the weight.
5 x 100 *PR* +30 Reps. I felt like a damn bird trying to fly away! Haha :)
40 x 25 *PR*
45 x 15 *PR
Dips (Assisted)- I was so tired at this point, Honestly i know a lot of people will WORSHIP dips but i don't feel like they're for me, I don't feel the contraction that well. I might either switch to close grip bench which has worked well in the past or just drop dips for increased recovery.
-50 x 9 *PR* +4 Reps
EZ Bar Pushdowns-New exercise, felt these incredibly well. Probably will be a staple from now on. Rope Pushdowns may be harder but are more difficult to increase the resistance, This is a great substitute for me.
40 x 30 *PR* Used a 10 second negative on last rep to kill the tri's
70 x 9 *PR*

Pre-Workout: 1 scoop GNC NO Loaded once again, Provided incredible energy but it should considering there's 400mg of caffeine in 1 scoop!!
Intra-Workout: AI RecoverPRO 3 scoops!
Post-Workout: Muscle-Tech Cell Tech 2 scoops + 3 scoops EAS Whey.
Afterthoughts: I had a HUGE post workout meal, I literally almost couldn't finish it. It was 2 cups of whole grain oats, a little brown sugar and a whey protein shake with peanut butter. Equaled about 1300 calories but i really really felt i needed it, It was also around 110 Carbs 90 Grams protein so i was good to go!
Also, I do feel exercise form is important in learning the movement and what part of the ROM your comfortable with but at the end of my workout i really don't care how my ROM looks, how much i lift and how "pretty" my form is. Keep in mind i'm not jerking the weights around crazily and being extremely sloppy so no, i feel less at risk of injury with what ROM works best for MY anatomy. I'm there to get in to GROW. I don't like using smaller ROM on legs though but everything else seems to respond very well to my adopted technique. Well just have to see where i end up in the coming weeks! Until then....
TRAIN HARD!!
-thetinyguy

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Diet Breakdown 6/19/11
(Maintenance is 3700)
Calories: 3230
Protein: 347 Grams *This seems a little excessive? Do i honestly need THIS much?*

Tomorrow: Cardio/Stretching