I'm I over/under working my muscles?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.33%

I'm I over/under working my muscles?

I try to lift each muscle group about every 4-5 days. I lifted biceps and shoulders this morning after 4 days of rest. When I lift, I do 4 sets of about 3 exercises for each muscle group. So I essentially lift about 12-15 sets of about 5-8 reps for each muscle. Is this sufficient, excessive, or jsut right? Thanks

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.17%

Are you doing any complex moves or just isolating individual muscles? Your volume is fine, but your progress will be better if you do more complex movements than isolation.
  3. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  117 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.82%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by tarheel10 View Post
    I try to lift each muscle group about every 4-5 days. I lifted biceps and shoulders this morning after 4 days of rest. When I lift, I do 4 sets of about 3 exercises for each muscle group. So I essentially lift about 12-15 sets of about 5-8 reps for each muscle. Is this sufficient, excessive, or jsut right? Thanks
    "Over/under working" your muscles is relative to the individual. Your volume sounds ok, but as JohnRock said, you're going to get better progress and results predominantly using multijoint, compound lifts instead of isolation exercises (if applicable) - so if you're not already, I recommend that you adjust your training so that it is primarily compound lifts (and yes, you can have all your training with such a routine using compound lifts only - I have done this).

If you're not sure of what you're doing, then I recommend that you get yourself a professional trainer who can and will individualize everything for you specific to YOUR goals and needs, and who will educate you on what they have done for you and why, so that you understand for yourself and learn.

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by tarheel10 View Post
    Honestly the only person who can answer this is YOU, Try it BUT stick to it for at least 4 weeks. This isn't really a question we can answer i mean think about it. What do you think people said to Arnold when he said he trains 3,4-5 hours a day? Probably thought he was insane but it worked for him and obviously it won't work for everyone else. Keep records of how you feel, daily lifts, energy levels, soreness, EVERYTHING and take pic's as well. The only way to see if it works is to try it nobody knows how you'll progress it's all up to you!
    I hope everybody thinks i'm crazy, because you cannot be a sane person and go through the type of pain i am willing to put myself through to be where i want to be, Once I completely win the war between my mind and body, my reign will begin. ~Me

Similar Forum Threads

1. What Muscles on What day?
    By Seabee1507 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-11-2010, 05:08 PM
  2. How to get heavy (with muscles)
    By votum in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-08-2010, 02:45 AM
  3. Muscles for MMA
    By flobot in forum MMA
    Replies: 10