I'm I over/under working my muscles?

tarheel10

Awards
I try to lift each muscle group about every 4-5 days. I lifted biceps and shoulders this morning after 4 days of rest. When I lift, I do 4 sets of about 3 exercises for each muscle group. So I essentially lift about 12-15 sets of about 5-8 reps for each muscle. Is this sufficient, excessive, or jsut right? Thanks

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Are you doing any complex moves or just isolating individual muscles? Your volume is fine, but your progress will be better if you do more complex movements than isolation.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I try to lift each muscle group about every 4-5 days. I lifted biceps and shoulders this morning after 4 days of rest. When I lift, I do 4 sets of about 3 exercises for each muscle group. So I essentially lift about 12-15 sets of about 5-8 reps for each muscle. Is this sufficient, excessive, or jsut right? Thanks
"Over/under working" your muscles is relative to the individual. Your volume sounds ok, but as JohnRock said, you're going to get better progress and results predominantly using multijoint, compound lifts instead of isolation exercises (if applicable) - so if you're not already, I recommend that you adjust your training so that it is primarily compound lifts (and yes, you can have all your training with such a routine using compound lifts only - I have done this).

If you're not sure of what you're doing, then I recommend that you get yourself a professional trainer who can and will individualize everything for you specific to YOUR goals and needs, and who will educate you on what they have done for you and why, so that you understand for yourself and learn.

~Rosie~

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Honestly the only person who can answer this is YOU, Try it BUT stick to it for at least 4 weeks. This isn't really a question we can answer i mean think about it. What do you think people said to Arnold when he said he trains 3,4-5 hours a day? Probably thought he was insane but it worked for him and obviously it won't work for everyone else. Keep records of how you feel, daily lifts, energy levels, soreness, EVERYTHING and take pic's as well. The only way to see if it works is to try it nobody knows how you'll progress it's all up to you! :)