Cuttin' for Summer

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
I have decided to start a log here to keep track of my training and diet but more importantly get some advice! I just turned 20 last month, I'm 213 lbs at around 18-20% BF? and I'm starting my first cut. I will be competing in a Powerlifting Meet on June 12th and basically want to step out on the platform strong and RIPPED!!

My numbers right now are:
500 Deadlift
405 Squat (ATG/OLY-ish)
295 Bench
1200 Total

All performed RAW/wrapless/Beltless.

Gunna learn how to snatch and jerk so I can start OLY lifting on the side as assistance. Till now it's just PCs and OHPs.

Diet:

lots of Meat: white fish, chicken, lamb, pork, buffalo, salmon. Tend to eat 225g protein/day

little Carbs: Pasta, pizza, oatmeal, rice, potatoes. Try to avoid sugars other than fruits.

little Fat: Fat from meat, trying to keep eating a lot of fish to get the Omega's. Also some fat from dairy & other foods.

Veggies/Fruit: find it hard to eat enough veggies, but love fruits. Need to improve on this.

Overall trying to eat high protein/low everything else to = low calorie. But arrange most of the carbs/fat to go before I lift so I have the energy.

Cardio:

None so far.

I'm waiting for this ski mountain to open up, it has this brutal 3k run to the top that I used to be good at. Till then I guess I should do some reg runnning (haven't done so in 2 years since I was doing Track).

I'm open to any Criticism or Advice!

Thanks in advance.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is an awful idea to be low fat. Your best bet is a caloric breakdown of 50% fat, 35% protein, 15% carbs. All of your carbs should be from fruit or red/sweet potatoes. Fats should be mainly from whole eggs, nuts (not PB), EVCO, and flesh.

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
It is an awful idea to be low fat. Your best bet is a caloric breakdown of 50% fat, 35% protein, 15% carbs. All of your carbs should be from fruit or red/sweet potatoes. Fats should be mainly from whole eggs, nuts (not PB), EVCO, and flesh.
EVCO?

I don't think of it as eating low fat... I just try to eat mostly protein. And equal carbs to fat ratio.

50% fat!? Isn't that a bit much? I know fat is good at support test levels...but 50%?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
EVCO=extra virgin coconut oil

For literally thousands of years, fat was our primary source of calories. I feel so much better since going fully Primal about 6 weeks ago. To those that have been indoctrinated to the outlandish nutritional recommendations from the USDA, 50% fat seems like a terrible idea. However, it helps with not only satiety, but hormonal support and, the most important thing, insulin control.

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
EVCO=extra virgin coconut oil

For literally thousands of years, fat was our primary source of calories. I feel so much better since going fully Primal about 6 weeks ago. To those that have been indoctrinated to the outlandish nutritional recommendations from the USDA, 50% fat seems like a terrible idea. However, it helps with not only satiety, but hormonal support and, the most important thing, insulin control.
I think I'll try eating more fat. But won't I get depleted @ 15% carbs/day?! and If I put them before I workout...

How about 50% pro, 35% fat 15% carbs?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Depleted is irrelevant. you may lower glycogen stores, but that does not mean your performance will tank. Go with the aforementioned macronutrient split. It is much easier to maintain.

Think of it this way: there are essential fats and essential amino acids, but there are no essential carbs.

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
Depleted is irrelevant. you may lower glycogen stores, but that does not mean your performance will tank. Go with the aforementioned macronutrient split. It is much easier to maintain.

Think of it this way: there are essential fats and essential amino acids, but there are no essential carbs.
What about 50 fat/35 pro on training days and 50 pro/35 fat on rest days?

I thought fiber was semi-essential...if there's such thing? But yea I like the paleo way too!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
~7-8 servings of produce per day will get you plenty of fiber.

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
~7-8 servings of produce per day will get you plenty of fiber.
Thanks for your help!

Friday

Squats: 405x1 -was going for a double to get a PR, but lost bar path on 2nd

Press:
185x1 PR

Power Cleans:
190x3x5 PR

Chins:
+45x5
+45x5

Core failed on chins because of dragon flags on Monday/injury wow. Almost over it tho.

BW @ 213 lbs

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
Saturday

No light squats for obvious reasons.

Bench:
235x5x3 PR -hard, gunna stall soon

Skipped Rows too due to back soreness.

DB Incline Bench:
65sx10x3 pr?

Ok workout given the circumstances. I think I'm weak on DB movements in comparison to BB movements. Maybe after the meet I'll change that.

BW @ 213 still

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
I think I managed to eat 300+g of protein today (PR) lol probs a bit much. practically no carbs, just ate a little salad and a small piece of watermelon, maybe 50g carbs? and for fat it was from the chicken, fish, peanut butter, and eggs... maybe 125g of fat? I should get a tally one of these days. I didn't even realize I didn't have to finish the entire chicken till it was too late. If this is accurate I only ate 2500 cals today! holly ****, I better be 210 tomorrow. This is half of what my dinner alone used to be.

I have a feeling my metabolism slowed down this month, last meet (Feb) I was 208 3 days out and needed to get <205 and ate basically 2500cals/day and weighted in at 201.

NavyMuscle29

Awards
I am completely agree with the fat sources, but i would also raise your protein intake.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am completely agree with the fat sources, but i would also raise your protein intake.
I get well over 250g of protein with this split. Hell, 250g is a low day for me. My maintenance calories are around 3200-3500 depending on training for the day.

bboyflash

Awards
try the mass program for the ud2 book, its aimed towards people with the goal your lookin for, which is strength and leanness correct?

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
Got around 200-225g protein, maybe 100g fat? and only carbs came from some fruit n nut mix and peanut butter.

I can't remember on paleo, am I allowed dairy? and if not how should I get my calcium?

Today was an off day so I didn't weight myself (don't have a scale at home). Tomorrow I better be lighter.

try the mass program for the ud2 book, its aimed towards people with the goal your lookin for, which is strength and leanness correct?
The one by Lyle Macdonald? I got that one, just gotta read it finally!

Thanks!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You'll want at least 50g extra of fat. Dairy is not allowed on Paleo, but it is still easy to get calcium without dairy. Spinach is just one example of a high calcium, non-dairy food.

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
You'll want at least 50g extra of fat. Dairy is not allowed on Paleo, but it is still easy to get calcium without dairy. Spinach is just one example of a high calcium, non-dairy food.
150g/day fat?

Monday, Deadlift Day

Deadlift:
405x13 PR!

Farmer's Walks:
95sx100m
95sx75m x2sets

The beginning of May last year i hit 315x13 and made my goal to hit 405x13, I'm very happy to hit that today and with a week or 2 to spare!

I wish I had filmed it.

Edit - lol almost forgot BW @ 209 :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
150g/day fat?

Monday, Deadlift Day

Deadlift:
405x13 PR!

Farmer's Walks:
95sx100m
95sx75m x2sets

The beginning of May last year i hit 315x13 and made my goal to hit 405x13, I'm very happy to hit that today and with a week or 2 to spare!

I wish I had filmed it.

Edit - lol almost forgot BW @ 209 :)
Yes. Today, so far, I've had 6 whole eggs, 1/2 lb of bacon, 2 Tbsp EVOO, 1 Tbsp EVCO, 16 oz coconut milk, 1 avocado, and 2/3 lb of salmon. That's roughly 140g and doesn't include fish oil and Sesamin oil. I'll probably add 1-2 Tbsp of EVOO to my protein shake before bed, too.

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
Tuesday, TTM & BS

Squats: 275x10 PR (limited time today, no 5x5)

Press: 155x1? 185 bro rep

Power Clean: 185x1 nothing left in the tank

Pull-ups: BWx18,10,12

BW@207 with the scale that measures me heavier than I am.

****ty workout today because:
-4 hours sleep
-empty stomach
-cutting
-fatigued from Deadlift 405x13 yesterday (failure-ish)
-Max Press 4 days ago

Still pretty decent with squats and no injuries so I guess I can't complain much. But 185 felt like 225 today.

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
Thursday, TTM

Squats: 405x1,1

Bench:
245x4 PR
225x5
225x6

Kroc Rows:
95s x40
95s x20

Incline Bench:
70s x8,8,6

curlz 3 sets

BW @ 206.5

Note:
-405 felt heavy today, no way I coulda done a double so I racked it.
-Bench felt heavy couldn't even get 245x5.

Although it sucks that you loose leverage on squats and bench when you cut it doesn't do anything to your Deadlift :)

Diet: 4 eggs, banana+peanut butter, turkey, salmon+brocolli, tuna+olive oil, & maybe some fruits and nuts as a snack later. I think I got 200g protein 120g fat 50g carbs from fruits mostly.

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
Friday, Oly Practice

(Power) Snatches:
65x1x5, 75x1x4, 95x1x4, 115x1x4
135x1x4
155x1x3
(all singles)

Squat Jerks + Split Jerks:
same warm-up as with snatches
135x 3+3
155x 3+1, 3+3, 3+1?

Was gunna try a full C&J finally but ran out of gas, next time I'll put it together. First time snatching though, feels kinda cool/kinda strange. I going to switch up my program a bit I believe, before I did TTM and SS hybrid with some customizing, but now I kinda stalled on the SS and want to add the olys in so I will be doing just a customized TTM. I liked SS but its out now.

BW @ 206.5

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
Saturday, Final TTM/SS Workout

Squats: 205x3x3

Press: 65x5, 85x5, 105x5

Power Cleans: 105x3

Facepulls & Shoulder recovery work

Very light day. All recovery work.

BW @ 205 again

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
I'm thinking of making this week a deload week(haven't done so since last meet), should I tone down the weight loss while I do this? I don't want to loose muscle or strength this week.

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
Monday, Deadlift Day

Deadlift: 425x10 PR!

Farmer's Walks:
95sx100m x2sets
95sx75m
95sx50m

My BBer buddy tried Farmer's for the first time, even used my chalk, gotta say he's pretty strong for a guy who doesn't train grip or deadlift.

Got the Deadlifts on video if anyone is interested just tell me.

BW @ 206 -just for Deads!

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
Tuesday

Bench:
225x5x3

Snatch:
135x1x8 PR (all in 10 mins-ish)

Kroc Rows:
95sx40

Bench felt heavy again, Krocs felt heavy for the first time ever...but that's prob just because I hit them hard last time.

BW @ 203.3

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
Wednesday

Squat: 315x8 PR
315x2 -tweaked my back a bit

Doctor tomorrow.

BW @ 202.8

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
Thursday

Bench: 275x1x2

No C&Js since doc said my neck needs to fully recover, apparently I did a lot of bad stuff to it but should be OK by the weekend.

Pull-ups: BW+45 x8, 8, 6

Incline bench: 70s x10, 10, 8

Facepulls 1 set

Edit - It's been 2 weeks and I'm liking the paleo lifestyle!

Today I ate like 225g protein so far, 80g fat? some veggies, some fruit in morning and a few hours before workout.

BW @ 204.5 (probs from bigger meal + salt)

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
Friday

Squats:
warm-up - 135x5, 185x5, 225x3 cut it off sensing a potential injury looming.

Lunges:
225x8/leg
245x3/leg

Need more rest/1 more doc visit. I may be forced to deload next week rather than in 2 weeks.

BW @ 203

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
Saturday

Bench: 205x8x3 rep & volume PR!

Still no Snatches.

Kroc Rows: 95s x40, x20

Will decide @ Monday's doc visit what to do.

BW @ 203.8

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
Monday, Deadlift Day

Deadlift: 455x5 PR -lowest reps I've ever gone in training (also first time ever trying 455)

Farmer's:
110s x50mish
110s x75mish
110s x60mish

Kroc Rows:
110s x25 PR
110s x30 PR!

BW @ 201? scale at this gym was weird.

Was at another gym today with a buddy who will be competing with me in June. DBs up to 110 here so I was pleased and couldn't resist adding in Krocs to DL day.

PRs Today weren't that great, kinda pissed kinda not pissed with Deads. I tweaked my back again on my last warm-up (405x1) and rolled out on a med ball before the 455 set, can't really be pissed with how well this cycle has gone and that I got a PR on a day I shoulda shut it down. But pissed rather that I couldn't attempt a 6th rep and at my back with all these weird injuries.

Also was pissed on Krocs with how much heavier 110 felt, 25 reps was really disappointing but the 30 rep set was ok, so atleast that.

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
Tuesday

Bench: 225x7 weak ****

Seated DB Press:
75sx8 PR?
75sx7
75sx7

Haven't done DB Presses in ages, so uncoordinated its crazy. But still doing better than before.

Deload will start soon.

BW @ 202.8 I'm starting to plateau :( Maybe I should start PSMFing after my deload?

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
Wednesday

Bench:
225x1
275x1 + 1 bro rep
225x1
225x1
300 F

Was playing around with my grip, I didn't even widen it that much yet but fully widened it and almost got that 300, I should try it fresh.

DB Press:
80sx6-7? PR
85sx5 PR

85 x 2 = 170 lbs for 5 reps? That's better than my BB Press! I should use DBs more often, have't done so in a year.

Pullups: BW+45 x10 PR?, 8, 7

Seated Rows:
135x25 PR
210x5 PR

BW @ 202 flat

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
Saturday (Deload)

Squat: 205x3 max

Bench: 185x3 max

Kroc Rows: 60sx5x3 (like air)

BW @ 202

Think I'll start UD2 after my deload. Did some cheat meals this week and still at the same weight :)

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
Tuesday (Deload)

Bench: up to 175x5 (no arch or leg drive)

Think my back is finally good again. Finally.

Lazy deload week, I expect to start full swing on Thurs.

BW @ 202.8

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
Wednesday

Internet broke down

Went to the gym just to weight in (usually don't)

BW @ 199.7!! plateu FINALLY broken!!!

Edit - Given my weight I decided to enter the meet in the 183 weight class (rather than 205). I'm gunna need to buckle my seatbelt for this ride!

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
Thursday

Squat:
315x7
315x3 -wtf the weight was off center or something and really ****ed it up

Bench:
225x7
225x5
225x6

C&J:
135x1
155x1 -cut it off, not quite ready with this one

Pull-ups:
BW+45 x10 PR?
BW+45 x8
BW+45 x7

DB Press:
75s x7+1 bro-rep
70s x8 easy

I now fit into the 198 lbs weight-class!

Can't complain with this workout since I'm fresh off a deload & injury.

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
Saturday

Squats: 365x1 -going for 3 but somehow missed the 2nd one WTF?? and why another back injury?seriously?

Lunges instead: 225x5ea, 245x3ea

Bench: 275x1+1 bro rep, still can't get that double
225x1 Paused
250x1 Paused (easy)

Pull-ups:
BW+45x10
BW+55x6 PR
BW+70x5 PR

Press: 135x8 PR?

At least I got a pullups PR. Lunges were alright too. Got 250 pause bench with heels down easily so thats good, I'll up the weight next time.

****ing squats causing yet another ****ing back injury. **** That's it I gotta change something with the squats, probs depth. No more ATG I think I lost mobility/stability with the cut. ****

BW @ 199

My buddy has officially nick-named me Captain Injury.

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
Sunday

Parallel Squat to box: (bar x 10+)x5

Back Extension: 2x25+

This was much needed, the cut is really challenging my ability to recover. Especially the lunges in particular, they are definitely a double edged sword. Low chance of injury, high chance of a tough recovery.

I have a feeling I won't have a program till the meet, just do everything by feel.

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
Tuesday

Lunges: 275x3/leg -tied PR?

Bench: 225x9 PR!

Kroc Row: 95sx40

Gunna do my core work tonight. Doc tomorrow.

BW @ 196.3!

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
Wednesday

PSMF

Recovery work

Bought my carb load food

BW @ 194.7

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
Friday

Lunges:
245x6/leg PR (coulda done more maybe)

Bench (no arch/leg drive)
225x5
225x5
225x4

Pull-ups:
BWx20
BW+35x9?
BWx13

Left elbow has been acting up so

JM Press:
95x9? (shoulda done dips first)

Dips:
BWx21
BWx17

Incline bench:
145x5

Light core work.

It's been a long 5+ days, now time for the carb load finally! I'm happy to report my S'mores chew bars are gone, and my rice krispies required a giant soup spoon (else I might loose my spoon).

Also the other good news is I saw the doc yesterday and I should recover well, just no squats yet.

BW @ 196

Deadlifter5

Deadlifter5

Awards
I think I will end my log now, it's not helping any of my problems.

My nipples look even puffier now and I seem to be growing even more body hair? wtf. And I seem to be getting more and more vascular? I'm not doing anything!! Jesus christ.

I don't know what to do anymore, nobody seems to have any answers or even take me seriously; doctors tell me there's nothing wrong with me and I shouldn't worry. This is really depressing.