My Contest Prep/Workout Log

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Setting the tone!

I am currently preparing for my very first BB contest coming up this summer. I have been dieting and started slowly cutting down the BF back in January. I am open to any advice as I know I have plenty left to learn.

My Training:
Here's a basic outline of what I do now for training. It has been working well for me, however, it is time consuming. It’s not exact and it varies often but this is the basics of what I do.

-Day 1

Chest

Exercises will vary from week to week including how heavy I go. I have heavy days and lighter days. This is the same for all days and body parts.

Some examples of exercises we do are as follows (not all on the same day obviously):
-All forms of barbell and dumbbell bench press. More incline then decline.
-Flyes/crossovers/crunches, usually with cables and in varying positions
-Some leverage presses
-Pec dec
-Cables

-Day 2

Back

Exercises often incorporated:
-Pull-ups, BW and assisted
-Lat pulldown with various grips and widths, sometimes even using straps to go very heavy or seated on the floor instead of at the bench.
-T-Bar rows
-Cable rows
-Bent over BB rows
-HS shoulder shrugs

-Day 3

Legs

-Deadlifts
-Squats
-Box jumps
-Leg press
-Leg extensions
-Hamstring curls (seated, prone, and/or standing one legged)

-Day 4

Delts and Calves

-Side lateral DB raises
-DB shoulder press
-Leverage or hammer strength overhead press
-Upright rows
-Cable rear delt work
-Cable lateral extensions

-Standing calf raises
-Donkey calf raises
-Dorsal flexion raises
-One-legged calf press

-Day 5

Arms

This is one that is supersetted, but different. It is often done in three parts. It is a bi/tri/bi superset for 5 or 6 sets, followed by a tri/bi/tri superset for 5 or 6 sets (or reverse order, doesn’t really matter). Then sometimes it’s just bi/tri traditional supersets.

Biceps
-Seated arm curls (always one arm at a time, never alternating, both hands holding the same weight throughout the movement). This one involves the arm extending down by your side and then flexing at the elbow until about parallel. This is a great movement to focus on just the bicep and help limit the involvement of the anterior delt.
-Drag curls (usually BB but sometimes smith or even cable as well)
-Seated cable preacher curls
-HS preacher curls

Triceps
-Tricep cable pushdowns with rope attachment
-Tricep cable kickbacks
-Bent over, overhead tricep cable extensions
-Overhead extensions
-Dips (bw, weighted, or bench versions)

-Day 6

Either rest or repeat with day 1

-Cardio
Depending on my goals at the time but I try to do it a few times a week. I hate running so I like to do things like basketball.

Abs are fitted in about twice a week whenever.

I don't log my workouts so I usually don't put weights down unless it's a general estimate. If anybody wonders what I'm doing just ask and I'll make a note of it.

My Diet:
I've altered this a few times and change it as needed. I started with a higher caloric intake and maintained it, then cut down gradually to assess how I respond. Here's is what I'm currently at per day.
Cals: 2000
Fat: 20%---44g
Carbs: 20%---100g
Protein: 60%---300g

I track everything everyday. I use a phone app called myfitnesspal to log everything. It's also available on the web here: Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com

A few things about my diet as of now. I eat almost all of my carbs around morning and workout time. So usually with breakfast and post workout. I never eat fat and carbs together. Insulin (response to sugars) is very anabolic but also a storage hormone and is more likely to store fat if it is readily available. I also have BCAA's between meals and once when I wake up at night. I follow alot of the nutritional guidelines as laid out by Lanye Norton.

I'll try to get some pics up later for some comparison/tracking.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Today I supersetted arms. I took some Hemavol and Swagger before and had a great workout.

I did my two rounds of supersets as previously explained.

First round of SS:
-Single arm DB curls (seated)
SS w/
-Tri cable rope pushdowns
SS w/
-Cable preacher curls (did 21's with this one...REALLY helped get my arms hypertrophic)

did that for about 5 sets

Second round of SS:
-Leverage Dips (VIDEOS! as promised---see below)
SS w/
-DB Curls (did 60's for these which actually felt light)
SS w/
-Bent over, overhead cable tricep extensions

did about 5 sets of that

Also did some hammer curls and drag curls

Here's my video doing 10 plates (450 pounds)

So I don't think you were able to hear in the last video a couple guys in the background joking with me about adding one more plate to max the load out and "make it look cooler". :D So I decided, what the heck, I'll give it a shot. I have never tried this weight EVER! I decided to try with the video and just delete it if I looked too retarded trying to do it. Ignore the funny girl like noises, it was effing heavy! :p 540 pounds!

And here's one from last week that shows a little of my home gym:

Here's was tonight's dinner, 8 oz of chicken and Asparagus cooked in a teaspoon of olive oil.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Today I supersetted arms. I took some Hemavol and Swagger before and had a great workout.

I did my two rounds of supersets as previously explained.

First round of SS:
-Single arm DB curls (seated)
SS w/
-Tri cable rope pushdowns
SS w/
-Cable preacher curls (did 21's with this one...REALLY helped get my arms hypertrophic)

did that for about 5 sets

Second round of SS:
-Leverage Dips (VIDEOS! as promised---see below)
SS w/
-DB Curls (did 60's for these which actually felt light)
SS w/
-Bent over, overhead cable tricep extensions

did about 5 sets of that

Also did some hammer curls and drag curls

Here's my video doing 10 plates (450 pounds)

So I don't think you were able to hear in the last video a couple guys in the background joking with me about adding one more plate to max the load out and "make it look cooler". :D So I decided, what the heck, I'll give it a shot. I have never tried this weight EVER! I decided to try with the video and just delete it if I looked too retarded trying to do it. Ignore the funny girl like noises, it was effing heavy! :p 540 pounds!

And here's one from last week that shows a little of my home gym:

Here's was tonight's dinner, 8 oz of chicken and Asparagus cooked in a teaspoon of olive oil.
You need carbs bro!!! At least 1/2 cup rice!!!!

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You need carbs bro!!! At least 1/2 cup rice!!!!
I'm following Layne's outline right now so I have carbs, but only around breakfast and post workout.

My typical breakfast is a couple scoops of whey, a cup of almond milk, and half a cup of oats. It gets me almost 500 cals. I'll break my diet down in more detail when I have more time after my next test.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm sub'd

Always good to follow along in a contest prep log :)

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yesterday was cardio, stretching, and posing

Today was chest, here's what I did:
-Incline DB press

-BB bench

-Decline bench

-Hammer Strength Wide Grip press

-HS Incline press (drop sets)

-Pec Dec (rest-pause sets)

About 3-4 sets each exercise.

-Practiced posing afterwards

Will be doing some cardio soon.

Diet is the key to success in any contest prep so I'll share in more detail what mine looks like so far for today.

Meal 1
-2.5 scoops ON Pro Complex Protein powder
-1/2 cup Oats
-1 cup Silk Almond Milk
TOTAL: 494 cals

then preworkout shake and workout

Meal 2-post workout
-2 scoops Dymatize Elite Isolate
-1 scoop Dymatize Whey and Casein blend
-1 scoop Labrada Power Carb
TOTAL: 513 cals (including pre workout)

Meal 3
-Turkey (6.5 oz lean)
-1 cup broccoli and califlower
TOTAL: 220 cals

Meal 4
-2 scoops XF Ultra Peptide Whey
TOTAL: 244 cals

BCAA's for any prolonged periods between food intake such as after 2 hours, I'll take BCAA's with about 5g of Leucine content

That leaves me with 500 calories for either a small meal and a pre-bed casein shake or just my casein shake depending on how long I'm staying up.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So yesterday I didn't workout because I had a very important and difficult chemistry test to study for that I did this afternoon. I ended being at school from 9:30 am to almost 11pm studying. Uhg, exhausting. I think I did really good on it today though.

Here's how my diet looked yesterday in greater detail. It was my low carb day so those were limited.

-Meal 1:
ProComplex protein powder, 2.5 scoops
1 cup Unsweetened Silk Almond Milk
373 cals

-BCAA's ~2 hours later

-Meal 2:
Tuna Fish (2 full cans)
Olive Oil
290 cals

-BCAA's ~2 hours later

-Meal 3:
Dymatize Whey and Casein blend, 2 scoops
240 cals

-Meal 4:
6.5 oz lean Turkey
1 cup steamed Broccoli and Cauliflower
220 cals

-Meal 5:
5.5 oz Chicken Breast
1 cup Broccoli
250 cals

-Meal 6: (bedtime)
Dymatize elite Casein
Dymatize isolate
1 cup unsweetened silk almond milk
Fish oil
279 cals

TOTAL:
Cals: 1652 (ouch---kinda low due to taking out the carbs for today)
Fats: 29 (only 2 saturated)
Carbs: 41 (only 5 sugars)
Protein: 300

Today I worked out after my test. I did legs.

-Leg extensions
supersetted with
-Hamstring curls

-BB back squats

-Laying Hamstring curls

-Hack squats

-Hip extensions

-Single leg hamstring curls

-Tibialis (dorsal flexion)

-Calf press

-Multi-tiered box jumps

I then practiced my posing routine with my friend who's been teaching me. I still got a lot of work to do but I'm much better then when I started.

Also, some great news. I had my BF checked today by the same guy that I always have do it. I am now down to 9.7%

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Gotta check out "multi-tiered box jumps" sound like fun. Congrats on the Bf! u seem happy about that :)
Definitely happy about seeing results! yeah, the box jumps are exhausting but great at the same time.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Today was back day and a little bit of chest with higher reps to help catch it up.

-Lat pulldowns
wide grip, medium grip, and behind the head

-Rack Pulls
took these slower today since straining my lower back last december with heavy deads. My last set was my heaviest at 385 lbs, which is below my normal.

-Cable rows

-Single arm high row

-Straight arm pushdowns

then some chest stuff and about half an hour of cardio

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looks good KJ- I like the videos!
Thanks em, I'll try to get some more up if people like them!

Today was good. I usually do arms on Saturday and I do so again, but I also added in delts and abs to catch them up this week.

We did something a little different today but I got a great pump from it...and the Hemavol helped that out too! We did a four exercise rotation consisting of a bi/bi/tri/tri movements. It looked like this:

-Overhead Cable Curl
compound set with
-Preacher Curl with ez BB
supersetted with
-Tricep pushdowns with rope
compound set with
-Weighted dips

We did this for several sets

Then hit delts.
-I did seated DB shoulder presses and got up to 70 db's which felt nice
-side lateral raises and rear lateral raises
-HS shoulder press
-Cable lateral raises
-HS shrugs

Abs
-Neck ups
-crunches
-decline sit-ups
-russian twists
abs started cramping up on me after a couple rounds

Then I took my shake and then went to another gym and played a couple hours of basketball, the best form of cardio!

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Today's work was focused on chest and ended with some light abs:

-DB Incline Press

-BB flat bench

-Incline bench press
compound setted with
-Decline bench press

-Wide grip HS press

-HS Incline press
drop sets

-Pec cable flyes

-Cable crunches

-Russian Twists

-Machine crunches

Tonight I will be doing some boxing, posing, and stretching.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
---Show plans---

My first competition will be on June 25th in approximately 14 weeks and 5 days. Last year this same competition was in the first week of May so that's why I started my contest prep back in January (that and the ON 2011 Challenge), so now that they finally announced it, it's almost two months later, uhg. I am planning on competing in the novice heavyweight or middleweight, depending on how much mass I'm able to maintain over the course of my cut.

So, there are no other shows in the meantime that I want to do that are local except for the one next month on the 2nd, which used to be hosted by Axis Labs but will be hosted by MAN Sports this year. I've made considerable progress but I can't drop 6% BF in just over two weeks so I wouldn't be prepared for that one. BUT, I am still in good shape and can improve on that enough in the next couple of weeks to prepare myself to compete in the new (and first ever here) Men's Physique division. I've heard some bb'ers complain about this new division but I'm not too prideful to give it a shot. I like the idea because I want to be in great shape and have decent mass, but I'll never be a huge beast and actually don't want that. I love playing sports and doing other things. So this will allow me to get a feel for both. Plus this will allow me to get some stage experience and get a general feel for it.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Today was back.

Did---

-Tbar rows

-Rack Pulls

-Pull-ups

-Bent over rows

-HS Iso rows

-Straight arm pushdowns

I also hired a posing coach to day to help me out so I don't look like a fool or get outposed after all my efforts.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A posing coach is the best idea imo. If jay culter was up on stage and didn't know how to pose with his physique, he wouldn't be who he was. Posing can really make or break a 1st place finish. Always ask the judges after the show what they thought about your posing! I got props for mine, but I worked with my trainer every day posing for 30+ mins at a time.

Mike

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A posing coach is the best idea imo. If jay culter was up on stage and didn't know how to pose with his physique, he wouldn't be who he was. Posing can really make or break a 1st place finish. Always ask the judges after the show what they thought about your posing! I got props for mine, but I worked with my trainer every day posing for 30+ mins at a time.

Mike
Cool, that's what I was thinking too. wow, that's alot of posing that you did. No way I could ever afford that! I gotta keep it to twice a week and practicing on my own frequently. Good idea with the judges.

Today I did an hour of cardio, practiced posing, and did extreme stretches. Getting ready now for my evening cardio bout.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Crazy bro! Im 8 weeks out and only doing 30 mins on the stair stepper 4-5X week!! I'm relying on my diet for this one :). Somehow, I nailed it perfectly!

Mike

Mrodz

Mrodz

Awards
  • Established
I bet most people don't realize how much effort and time is put into learning how to pose.
I hadn't given it thought until only a few years ago.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Crazy bro! Im 8 weeks out and only doing 30 mins on the stair stepper 4-5X week!! I'm relying on my diet for this one :). Somehow, I nailed it perfectly!

Mike
yeah, I'm following Andy's advice on this one. He's trying to help me get stage ready.

I bet most people don't realize how much effort and time is put into learning how to pose.
I hadn't given it thought until only a few years ago.
That's for sure. It's much more difficult to nail down precisely then I had originally thought last year.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Today was legs.

-Step/push downs

-Single leg press

-Regular leg press

-Leg extensions

-Hack squats

-BB squats

-Hamstring curls (legs started cramping up bad on this one)

stretched out legs and then headed to school for my final test before spring break!

Tanned after class and in a few minutes I will be hitting the elliptical for about an hour, then pose and stretch. Diet has been spot on. Will post updates of it whenever anybody asks. I log it all everyday.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
These pics are fairly recent. I finally got around to uploading them. I look leaner now though. These pics are with NO pump and carb depleted so bear that in mind as you try to hold your food down! :p

Forearm

Breakfast with carbs---water, protein, and oats.

Some of my BCAA's I'm taking (I got more!)

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Today I supersetted arms.

-Preacher curls
ss with
-Tricep cable extentions
ss with
-DB curls

-Bench dips
ss with
-BB drag curls

-Overhead cable curls
ss with
-Tricep pushdowns

then did some minor chest stuff

-HS incline
-HS press
-Boss incline
-Cable flyes

then practiced posing

then did 40 minutes of cardio

then did extreme and regular static stretching

Yes...I was in the gym for a long long time. I had a BCAA drink and protein shake mixed in there somewhere.

then I had my muscles stripped out again.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Pics look good KJ- Are you still in the ON transformation contest?
thanks em. I am! The ON challenge ends for me on April 2nd...the same day as my show. Couldn't have planned that any better!

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
lol agreed.. some people really underestimate it including myself the first time. i thought i posed great, met with my trainer for the first time and he laughed at me. He took pics of me and damn did I really look like an idiot. 30 mins of practice ED finally perfected everything. It was also like a cardio session to tho haha.

Mike

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
lol agreed.. some people really underestimate it including myself the first time. i thought i posed great, met with my trainer for the first time and he laughed at me. He took pics of me and damn did I really look like an idiot. 30 mins of practice ED finally perfected everything. It was also like a cardio session to tho haha.

Mike
you are soooo right! Had my first full "official" posing session. I needed so much work that he helped me for an hour and a half! Money well worth it though, he was really helpful. I used that as my cardio session cause I was beat by the time I was done. I did get some pics though that I will try to post shortly...if my phone ever finishes uploading them.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
New pics!

side chest

most muscular

front lat spread

back double bi

I'm still holding on to too much BF but I'm working crazy hard on that. I also gotta work on flexing my legs more, I begin to focus elsewhere and forget about that sometimes. My chest looks a little flat since

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So today my focus was on delts.

-DB lat raises (various angles)

-HS seated press

-Cable side raises

-Front raises

-Upright rows

-HS shrugs

then hit hamstrings a little bit again to help bring them up

-SLDL. I haven't done these since I hurt my back in december with too much weight and crappy form. I have since rectified that and started really slow today. I just did stretches with the bar first and when I was done I dropped it...forgetting that there were no plates on the ends and the bar landed on my foot. :mad: That hurt like a beast! There were a few other people around so I just went and sat down and held all the crying inside. I ended up going up to 285 with no straps and didn't want to push it further so I decided to keep it there and see how my back feels tomorrow.

Then I met with my posing instructor at the gym and practiced that for an hour and a half. That was so exhausting that I counted it as my morning cardio session.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I worked chest today...too tired to update though. I did an hour of posing with my coach this evening too. Need to get to bed cause I have to get up soon to go to Florida! Note that updates will be limited till I return.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So we had a great vacation and I had fun. I did get to workout but not as much as I'd like to but I got plenty of exercise walking around everywhere. I finally got to wrestle an alligator, that was one of the funest things I did there. I'm sitting in the airport now waiting for my flight so I thought I'd do a little update. Here's some pics.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
More

This is the McDonald's in Orlando. They claimed it was the world's biggest. It had an arcade inside and was two stories and the menu included panins, pasta, pizza, and other things that actually looked pretty good.

Inside McDonald's

My pirate dinner show, it was ok, good for the first time experience

The gym I went to since there were NO golds gyms in Jacksonville.

The beach

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I got two days till my comp. I'm starting to get both exicted and nervous. Working like crazy to make sure I have a good showing.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My camera person won't be making the show because apparently it's sold out. I'm not sure how I feel about having the entire place packed. My wife will be there though and will take pics.

I did almost an hour of cardio this morning, did another hour of cardio this evening, practiced my posing routine for over an hour and then hit the steam room for 40 minutes.

Check in is this (friday) evening.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What a weekend! Pics will come up shortly. I decided about two weeks ago to make a big push and do the bodybuilding division as well. My conditioning could have been better but I brought what I had to the table. It was one heck of a learning experience which will definitely benefit me in the competitions to come. The main thing I learned is that Physique division is NOT for me. I did not like it and felt uncomfortable. However, I did enjoy the bodybuilding division and met some cool people there.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So here's about how it went. I did my weigh in's and barely made weight. I had to drop several pounds this last week alone to make it. That was already an incredible challenge but I did it. Then we had our intro meeting and then I went and got my spray tan by Elite. They did an awesome job. The next morning we did check in's with our music and got our numbers. It felt very disorganized and cramped. The theater was packed and very stuffy and hot. I was sitting there and waiting to know what I was to do next when I heard the loud speaker announcing the commencement of the the men's show. I was frustrated about that and had to rush down to the backstage and change really quick. I didn't have enough time to eat like I had planned for my continued carb load so I felt I looked very flat. It was pretty nerve wracking at first but it subsided.

Our group was the largest group in the competition but I was excited when I was part of the first call out!

Afterwards I eat and took a nap because I didn't sleep very well the night before. I returned a few hours later for my individual routine which I was the most nervous about because it was the most awkward for me but I got through it well enough. Most of my pics were at the hotel between the sessions and backstage because my wife had a hard time getting close enough and I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for a few pictures.

Well, after the individual routines were done for our division they did the awards for the top 7 since there were so many of us. I placed 6th, which I'm happy with. My posing needed to be sharper and quicker. They ran us through the poses SO fast I barely had time to hit them. I also need to bring up my conditioning and not drop weight so quickly and do a proper carb load. Things I have learned that will make me better for my next competition in June.

Afterwards I spoke with all the judges to find out how I can improve and they said similar things to what I already knew but good to hear again. The pleasing part is that the judges liked my symmetry.

My boys got to come and watch me as well and were really excited for. My youngest is now calling me his "brown daddy" cause the tan is so deep and dark. It was definitely a learning experience that I enjoyed and I'm glad I did it. Now for some pics...sorry they're not the best quality.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I'm on the far right (stage left when facing the audience)

HOTEL shots between rounds:

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been back at it this week. Today I did delts. I did multiple sets of each exercise in this order.

-Did some rear and side db raises to warm up.

-Seated DB press

-Rear cable delt pulls

-Lateral cable raises

-Front cable raises

-Decline sit-ups

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Did arms yesterday.

I supersetted everything with 30-60 sec between sets. I also took some HemaVol and Maximize (no shill, promise!). I gotta say that I had the best pumps I've ever had, except for on ArA which are painful for me. I would venture to say that my extreme carb depletion last week and plenty of carbs this week also helped.

I did something like this:
-Drag curls

-Tri rope pushdowns

-DB curls (not alternating)

-Tricep overhead extensions

Then I did some decline ab work.

Mrodz

Mrodz

Awards
  • Established
Just saw this, Amazing experience there! Must have been a great learning opportunity. Nice seeing all those pix and congrats on getting in with the top 7.

Wow, so your doing another competition in June, Good Luck and keep posting, this is a very nice log. Love the pix of Gatorland I went there when I was like 8 LOL no pirates then tho, at least I don't remember.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just saw this, Amazing experience there! Must have been a great learning opportunity. Nice seeing all those pix and congrats on getting in with the top 7.

Wow, so your doing another competition in June, Good Luck and keep posting, this is a very nice log. Love the pix of Gatorland I went there when I was like 8 LOL no pirates then tho, at least I don't remember.
Thanks, it was a great experience! Gatorland was awesome, we had alot of fun there. The Pirate Dinner show was a separate event. I wanted to go to one of the dinner and a show attractions.

Goo to see that people like the log, I'll keep it going. I'm working on adding a little bit of mass and bringing up a couple areas like my hams for this month. Then the next two months will be dedicated to conditioning with no sudden rapid loss. I'll be working on my posing too and hopefully I can bring a better package to the next show. Too short of a time to make any single drastic changes but hopefully a lot of little ones and adjustments will make a difference.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Today I did chest with a little light shoulders thrown in and then some abs...and some cardio. Yeah I was at the gym WAY too long.

-DB incline bench (no spotter for this one so I worked up to 90's and left it there)

-BB flat bench
This one was different. When I did 225, it felt a little heavier then normal, which I was very happy with. I decided to take a minute and do it again. The second time was much better and I decided to go up to 245 which is where I usually top out for a full set. I was able to do about 6 reps and I decided that I was going to push it today. So I was determined to see what I could do and threw on 260. Yes these numbers are not impressive but I've never had a good bench so I was happy. I got the 260 up for 4 reps and then decided to shoot for 275. I got it up 3 times but my spotter had to help steady and "pull just a little" so I don't count any of those. I think I can do if I try it earlier in the workout, so next week it's on!

-Incline BB bench

-Decline BB bench

-Boss leverage bench

-Pec flyes

then some light shoulders
-Shoulder press

-Delt flyes

then ab work
-decline sit-ups

-Neck-ups

-Weighted machine crunches

-Leg raises

-Russian twists

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So I didn't do my leg workout in the morning because I had a chemistry quiz in the afternoon to study for. I went after class instead and had a horrible workout. Not because of the timing but from the result.

I warmed up on the elliptical for 10 minutes and then warmed up by doing supersets with leg extensions and hamstring curls.

Then I started squats. I went really light at first and worked the weight up. I was still doing relatively light weight on my fourth set when at the last few reps, at the top, my lower back started feeling sore in a not so good way. I decided to stop there and not push it further. I evaluated my form and it looked good. I sat down and my back lower back slowly started seizing up. It got to the point where I decided I wasn't doing any more squats today and had to skip out on SLDL's. Just stripping the bar hurt. I had to walk like a constipated grandpa because the pain kept gradually intensifying. I didn't want to give up though and leave my hams unbalanced so I do some laying leg curls where I didn't have to put any pressure on my back. I then had to call it quits. I went into the hot tub for half an hour and that seemed to help while I was in there. I'm still not sure what I did wrong but I think I aggravated my previous injury from last december. So last night sucked.

Today it's really tight and sore but better. I'm going to try and make it to the gym here shortly for my delt day and do more machine and seated stuff to keep as much pressure off the back as possible. We'll see how it goes.

This might slow me down a little but won't stop me.