My Contest Prep/Workout Log

Page 7 of 13 First ... 56789 ... Last

1. Yesterday I worked on my basic form technique for the Olympic lifts...man do I need some practice! It's funny cause the only thing that is sore is my rear delts. I think that's from hoisting the bar over my head and squatting with it so much. Didn't do any real weight yet. I want to make sure I do it right first and refuse to let ego get in my way.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    Serious Nutrition Solutions rep

2. Today I did my chest and back supersetted again.

I did:

Bench press at 275
    ss w/
    HS Iso lateral Rows

Rack Pulls
    ss w/
    Cybex leverage Chest Press

On the Rack Pulls I wanted to go crazy today and push it so I quickly jumped from 315 to 500 pounds!
    Well, it went something like this:
    0x500: FAIL!
    Now I was even more determined. I was going to get this turd up if it killed me! No belt, only my versa gripps (which are amazing BTW) and some chalk cause my hands started sweating a bit.
    .05x500: Mostly FAIL! I got it about two inches up and choked. After I dropped it, I could feel that I strained my left SI. I was careful to keep good back posture/form and am grateful that my vertebral column feels fine. I have learned when to be careful and call it quits so that was all for my back tonight. However, my chest still needed some punishing.

Here's what I was trying to force into compliance. Unfortunately he became the victor BUT my time will come!

I decided to try DB Incline Presses again. These have been cruel to my healing thumb so I've had to cut them out but it's been a couple weeks since my last attempt. I started light with 30 lbs DB's, then again that was too much last time, but I was able to manage it. I then tried 50 lbs DB's. The good news is that they felt super light and didn't hurt my thumb. I decided to take it slow and not push it too fast so I stopped there.

Finished up with some HS Incline Presses.

Not the best workout but I'm glad I got in there and got it done.

This is from my full court basketball:

My current supplements are pretty basic right now. I'm only taking:
    -SNS Magnesium Creatine Chelate
    -Fish Oil
    -SNS Liver Assist
    -And SciFit Joint Enhance plus MSM.
    •   

3. Super set like a big chested chick
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.

4. hey. great log. been following for a while.
    my advice is not to mess with the olympic movements ESPECIALLY if you have wrist problems. power cleans and push presses are very joint demendant, and also the snatch is not a safe movement at all. its cool to do like 65lb clean and press for warm ups or pump or whatever, but i just dont see the point in doing olympic movements if bodybuilding is your goal. if your an athlete tho, than different story.

i was in football for a while, these movements especially the clean were my life and im against them.

5. Quote Originally Posted by GLHF View Post
    hey. great log. been following for a while.
    my advice is not to mess with the olympic movements ESPECIALLY if you have wrist problems. power cleans and push presses are very joint demendant, and also the snatch is not a safe movement at all. its cool to do like 65lb clean and press for warm ups or pump or whatever, but i just dont see the point in doing olympic movements if bodybuilding is your goal. if your an athlete tho, than different story.

i was in football for a while, these movements especially the clean were my life and im against them.
    Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I've been doing them mainly for the increased flexibility, CNS stimulation, and to do something different. I like trying new things as well so It's been interesting but it's definitely not a long term thing for me.
    •   

6. I decreased the weight a bit, increased the reps, and focused more on hypertrophy today.

Incline DB press:
    slowly increasing weight, back up to 60 lbs each now, thumb didn't start hurting till the end of my workout.
    supersetter with
    T-Bar Rows

Leverage Chest Press
    supersetted with
    Pull-ups, varying grip widths

Cable Flyes
    ss with
    Low Cable Rows

Straight Arm Pushdowns

My forearms got super pumped and started aching...in a good way.

7. Quote Originally Posted by kingjameskjf
    I decreased the weight a bit, increased the reps, and focused more on hypertrophy today.

Incline DB press:
    slowly increasing weight, back up to 60 lbs each now, thumb didn't start hurting till the end of my workout.
    supersetter with
    T-Bar Rows

Leverage Chest Press
    supersetted with
    Pull-ups, varying grip widths

Cable Flyes
    ss with
    Low Cable Rows

Straight Arm Pushdowns

My forearms got super pumped and started aching...in a good way.
    Good deal KJ
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.

8. Kind of ironic today because in my Exercise Physiology class we talked about the Olympic Lifts. Our instructor talked about the ballistic style of the exercise with the explosive strength which incorporates more muscle fiber activation.

Tonight I play my customary basketball with my friends.

I'm trying to set up my competition schedule for the 2012 season. It's proving more difficult for me to decide on what I want to do then I had thought.

9. Quote Originally Posted by kingjameskjf
    Kind of ironic today because in my Exercise Physiology class we talked about the Olympic Lifts. Our instructor talked about the ballistic style of the exercise with the explosive strength which incorporates more muscle fiber activation.

Tonight I play my customary basketball with my friends.

I'm trying to set up my competition schedule for the 2012 season. It's proving more difficult for me to decide on what I want to do then I had thought.
    Fawk school

10. Yesterday I had a good workout. I did my chest and back superset workout but I focused on power/strength aspect. I worked out with a friend who also competes in bodybuilding. First time we worked out together but it was great!

This is how it went.

Bench Press:
    all sets at 275
    after I fatigued, we did negatives until on the last set it was all negatives

supersetted with:

T-Bar rows:
    (no chest pad and close grip)

DB Incline Press and HS Incline Press

supersetted with:

Lat Pull downs, wide grip, and singe arm Cable Rows

Chest Press

supersetted with

Low Rows

Rack Pulls
    I didn't try to go above 405 this time.

Today I did legs. BTW, I hurt good from yesterday's workout!

I did this:

Squats

Sumo Squats

Bulgarian Split Squats

Laying Hamstring Curls

Then did some Clean and Jerk Olympic lifts

and finished off with some Seated Calf Raises.

Tomorrow is my rest and recover day.

11. Yesterday was my typical chest and back superset exercise that I like to do and planned on doing it for hypertrophy. However, I was STILL sore in my chest and delts from my previous sessions when I did a bunch of negatives. My legs are still really sore today from last Saturday as well, so I can tell I'm pushing it, which is exactly what I want. Obviously there is was no point in training chest again with it being that sore, as I don't want to overtrain, so I focused instead on my back and abs.

I did all sets with about 8 reps with about 1 minute rest in between sets.

-Wide Grip Lat Pull-Downs
    compound setted with
    -Pendlay Rows

-Behind the Neck Pull-Downs
    compound setted with
    -Yates Rows

-Low Cable Rows

-Seated Rows

-Straight Arm Pushdowns

-Abs stuff

-Internal External rotation (for rotator cuff)

I then practiced some of my posing. I can tell it's been a little while since I've done these. I need to get back into the habit.

I finished off with some lovely extreme stretches.

After I was done, I hooked myself up to the IFC (interferential current) on my low back, neck, traps, and knees. I then put myself on the spinalator for a good half hour. I guess interning at a rehab center definitely has its' benefits, especially when I have the place to myself during lunch. Other good news is that I starting to put on some weight. I've been pushing every workout hard (it's a bit difficult to capture the intensity in a forum log!), and eating big. I'm hoping for big things in 2012.

12. Delts and arms today.

-Upright Rows
    Actually surprised myself. Just kept upping the weight until I was doing the max stack weight of 150 lbs (cables).
    Compound setted it with:
    -Rear Delt Rows

-Side lateral Raises

-Seated Rear Delt Flyes

then on to arms

-Seated Bicep Curls
    supersetted with
    -Cable rope Tricep Pressdowns
    supersetted with:
    -Preacher Curls

-Tricep cable Kickbacks
    supersetted with:
    -Drag Curls
    supersetted with:
    -Bent over/overhead tricep extentions

Arms got super pumped from this workout.

Decided to do some light legs since I missed basketball last night due to studies.

-Bulgarian Split Squats

-Standing Hamstring Curls

Did multiple sets of everything.

13. Quote Originally Posted by kingjameskjf View Post
    Delts and arms today.

-Upright Rows
    Actually surprised myself. Just kept upping the weight until I was doing the max stack weight of 150 lbs (cables).
    Compound setted it with:
    -Rear Delt Rows

-Side lateral Raises

-Seated Rear Delt Flyes

then on to arms

-Seated Bicep Curls
    supersetted with
    -Cable rope Tricep Pressdowns
    supersetted with:
    -Preacher Curls

-Tricep cable Kickbacks
    supersetted with:
    -Drag Curls
    supersetted with:
    -Bent over/overhead tricep extentions

Arms got super pumped from this workout.

Decided to do some light legs since I missed basketball last night due to studies.

-Bulgarian Split Squats

-Standing Hamstring Curls

Did multiple sets of everything.
    Bulgarian squats? Aren't those for girls

Serious Nutrition Solution ~~

mw at seriousnutritionsolutions dot com
    mike at competitiveedgelabs dot com

14. Quote Originally Posted by mw1 View Post
    Bulgarian squats? Aren't those for girls

ya know, they actually kinda of seem like it, but they work SO good!

15. Got a great back workout in on Monday. Did a little of this and a bit of that, then topped it all off with some of you know what's. Yesterday I did my customary basketball. While playing and going lunging forward for a loose ball, I felt something pop in my right calf. Sucker hurt so I made that my last game. Well it's pretty sore today so I must have pulled it. Obviously I decided to skip the oly lifts and just did arms.

I did a giant set consisting of the following:

-Seated single arm DB curls
    ss w/
    -Tricep rope Pushdowns
    ss w/
    -Drag Curls
    ss w/
    -Tricep Kickbacks

I did this for a few sets and got a great pump out of it.

I then did heavy plate loaded HS dips (10 plates)

Then did Preacher Curls and did 21's. Those were so painful...in a good way.

Followed that up with some extreme stretches.

The good news is that as of today, I am fished with this semester of school. This has been one of my busiest yet better semesters. I think I got straight A's on 16 credits. Guess I'll find out in a few days. I'm hoping I avoided the crappy 93% A-.

16. Some serious work going on in here
    Formutech Nutrition | Online/Social Media Rep
    Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram for more promos!
    www.formutechnutrition.com |www.facebook.com/fnutrition

17. Whats going on ITT.

18. Quote Originally Posted by BB12 View Post
    Some serious work going on in here
    trying! I started getting sick last week with a cold but workedout anyways. I'm still feeling it today so I think I'm going to chill in the steam room and hot tub after my workout today.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    Whats going on ITT.
    absolutely nothing.

Oh and it's confirmed, I got a 4.0 this semester on 16 credits! Now I gotta start preparing for my GRE's.

19. Quote Originally Posted by kingjameskjf View Post
    Oh and it's confirmed, I got a 4.0 this semester on 16 credits! Now I gotta start preparing for my GRE's.
    That's awesome! Congratulations!

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee

20. Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Chee Scott View Post
    That's awesome! Congratulations!

~Rosie~
    Thanks, I've gotten so close so many times but a rogue B+ or A- would pop up and ruin it. I'm glad I was able to do it this semester especially with more difficult classes. It also means I made the President's List. Just another transcript boost!

21. A smart lifter

22. Monday I did chest and back again. Flat bench was straining my shoulder at the ac joint. I've never had that before so I decided to back off and let it feel better. I went to DB inclines instead and those felt great. I went up to 100 lbs DB's without a spotter and they felt pretty good. I think next week I'll push it a little and see what I can get. Half way through I talked with my posing coach and starting talking about the upcoming season. Getting things in order now.

Tuesday I did my two hours of basketball and felt good afterwards.

Yesterday I did olympic lifts. Worked on form for snatches. Did a lot with the bar and gradually went up to 40 kg. Not too much. Then I did arms and supersetted bi's and tri's. I finished with some ab work.

23. I went to Gold's Gym this week to use the other amenities that aren't offered at Flex Gym, however, I was told that I can't come back unless I buy a new membership or provided a contract. I paid for a year in advance and still have a few months left on the contract and paid for. Apparently Gold's Gym didn't pay their rent and got shut down. Then Gold's Gym International took over and is making everybody cancel their old Gold's contracts and go to a bi-weekly billing system, unless you have a prior contract in place which they said they will honor until it expires. Well here's the catch. I don't keep my gym sign-up paperwork every year I renew! So I have no contractual proof and they claim that they have no records for anybody so I can't go in my own gym that I already paid for! Funny cause two of the people who work there still and transitioned over remember me, and I won their freakin' Gold's Gym Challenge this past May. Yeah, pissed.

http://www.kktv.com/news/headlines/P...133571078.html

http://www.krdo.com/news/29729563/detail.html

http://www.krdo.com/news/29929647/detail.html

Here's where Gold's International takes over and claims to accept previous memberships but don't specify how and how much they were actually going to screw people over.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/loca...-gold-gym.html

I went to the gym with my boys today. We all did olympic lifts followed by legs.

My oldest tried the bar for the first time, instead of the usual wooden training stick that we typically use. It didnt go so well...

But he worked on it and got it down!

My youngest, well, he needs alot of work. Good thing he has all the time in the world!

I just started doing the oly lifts in the last month and I'm taking the progression slowly to make sure my form is good. I think it's decent but I know I can still do much better. Here's me today trying 60.5 kg (133 lbs) for my first time.

24. That's a hell of a read. You should go up to the employee who remember you and say really man? I did x,y,z and you don't really know who I am? smh.

Nice bids of you and the kids man. Starting em at an early age.

25. Thats really messed up about the gym I'm sure they have paperwork on the members still making monthly installments

Serious Nutrition Solution ~~

mw at seriousnutritionsolutions dot com
    mike at competitiveedgelabs dot com

26. Quote Originally Posted by AaronJP1 View Post
    That's a hell of a read. You should go up to the employee who remember you and say really man? I did x,y,z and you don't really know who I am? smh.

Nice bids of you and the kids man. Starting em at an early age.
    Oh they did but they can't "verify" how long I had left on my membership, therefore it's invalid.

Yeah, my kids like coming with me as long as we keep it fun as well. My oldest is much more interested in it. It was kinda funny cause yesterday he told me that he decided he wanted to be a bodybuilder. So now his future plan is this: he wants to be a bodybuilding ninja cop! That would make for one lethal combo!

Quote Originally Posted by mw1 View Post
    Thats really messed up about the gym I'm sure they have paperwork on the members still making monthly installments
    Yeah, it seems like they have an excuse to force us out or pay again. You know what though, they turned it into another 24 Hour Fitness. It was great when I started but they kept changing things up and getting rid of the whole concept of Gold's Gym. Then they added a crossfit room and got rid of alot of the better powerlifting equipment to make room for it. We already have three 24 Hour Fitness gyms here so no need to go to another one. At least I still have other options and will make the best of it.

Merry Christmas to all my AM e-buddies on here!

27. Today's workout:

-I did some olympic lift training to start and focused on the snatch. Trying to improve my form and not muscle the weight up. We worked the weight up gradually to 60 kg.

Did that for an hour and a half. Then took some BCAA's and went back to work, focusing on shoulders and arms.

Shoulders:

Did plenty of overhead shoulder stuff with the olympic lifts so I skipped that.

-Side lateral raises

-Front Raises

-Rear Delts (cables)

Arms

Supersetted bi's and tri's

-Drag Curls

-Rope Pushdowns

did this for several sets and then had to go pick up the kiddos. I was starting to fatigue anyways so it was a good stopping point.

28. Today was chest and back, but with a strength focus, so higher weight and lower reps. 3-4 sets each. This is how the magic times went down today.

-Incline DB Press
    using the hundos and then dropped down gradually

-T-Bar Rows
    5 plates and then decreased as needed

-Cybex Plate Loaded Advanced Leverage Chest Press (like a chest press into a flye)

supersetted with

-Pull-ups

-Hammer Strength Wide Chest Press
    405 lbs and decreased down to 365

supersetted with

-Bent Over Barbell Rows
    185, should have gone higher but was getting tired and lazy at this point

-Hammer Strength Incline Press
    315 decreased down to 275

supersetted with

-Rack Pulls
    Tried 495 but failed, went down to 405 for success

29. Today I did my Olympic lifts followed by legs.

I started with and focused on the Clean and Jerk. I worked my way up gradually to my new PR of 80 kg, or 176 pounds, which is good for just starting (or at least I think so). I got video of my last two attempts at the 80 kg. First attempt I failed and second I got but form was not so great.

Moving on to legs. Decided to start with hamstring movements since I hit my quads with the oly movements already.

-Good Mornings

-SLDL's

Then moved on to
    -Hack Squats

supersetted with

-Laying Hamstring Curls

Finished up with some ab work, machine ab crunches compound setted with neck-ups.

30. I've missed a few updates but that's alright.

Today was different. I didn't plan it that way but things just worked themselves out that way. After I dropped my kids off at school, I headed straight over to the gym, after taking my pre workout in the car at the gas station. BTW, does anybody else find this pretty stupid? As I was pulling into the gas station, there was another car there fueling up and the person drops a lighted cigarette on the ground by the pump and then leaves. So fearing for the safety of our community and being the hero I am, I leaped over the gas pumps, landing directly on the lit cigarette just as it was about to combust and blow us all to smithereens. Ok, maybe that last part was a stretch, I just went in and paid for my own gas.

Some back story on the gym. My gym is called Flex and is the awesomeness cause it's a true workout gym, not a fitness center. Well, in the adjoining building there is another company that does kettle-bell training and boxing. That company recently moved and another company called Fitness Origin moved in, which is co-owned by a buddy of mine. As I walked in I was talking to him about the business and we got to talking for awhile. Long story short, I decided to give his routine a shot. It's not a typical workout routine and it's not quite a cross-fit routine either, but something kinda different. It's done in a sand pit that they built and includes various things such as kettle-bells, TRX, the super huge ropes, bands, etc, and is done in circuit fashion for 3 rounds besides warmups. It was incredibly exhausting. There are so many different ways to do it and things you can implement but I just let Jake run it for me. You can also tailor it more towards power, stability, or cardio.

Here's what I did: (I don't know the names of many of these so bear with me!)
    Also, most things were done with about 10-20 reps depending on what it was

-Frog jump to a push-up move

-Then to reverse flyes with bands

-Suitcase walk with 100 lbs kettle-bells

-Rope shake/whips

-Kettle-bell swings

-TRX squats

-High knee run

I did all of this without a break in between.

This was truly exhausting and took about 32 minutes to complete with only 1-2 minutes rest between rounds.

After sitting for 15 minutes or so afterwards, I got my energy back and actually felt pretty good so I decided to continue on with my originally planned back workout. I took some BCAA's and then did the following.

-Behind the neck pull-downs
    compound setted with:

-Low cable rows (narrow parallel grip)

-Lat Pulldowns

-HS Iso Lateral Rows (one arm at a time)

-Straight Arm push downs

I then practiced posing and then did some extreme stretches.

I actually felt stronger and better! I didn't expect this. I felt absolutely great!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. My contest prep...
    By rysigpi in forum Bodybuilding Contest Preperation
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-19-2012, 12:05 AM
  2. Contest Prep cycle and contest prep help
    By Swoleosis in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-07-2010, 03:40 PM
  3. Contest prep