My Contest Prep/Workout Log

Page 2 of 13 First 1234 ... Last

1. lol agreed.. some people really underestimate it including myself the first time. i thought i posed great, met with my trainer for the first time and he laughed at me. He took pics of me and damn did I really look like an idiot. 30 mins of practice ED finally perfected everything. It was also like a cardio session to tho haha.

Mike
    Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Representative

2. Quote Originally Posted by criticalbench View Post
    lol agreed.. some people really underestimate it including myself the first time. i thought i posed great, met with my trainer for the first time and he laughed at me. He took pics of me and damn did I really look like an idiot. 30 mins of practice ED finally perfected everything. It was also like a cardio session to tho haha.

Mike
    you are soooo right! Had my first full "official" posing session. I needed so much work that he helped me for an hour and a half! Money well worth it though, he was really helpful. I used that as my cardio session cause I was beat by the time I was done. I did get some pics though that I will try to post shortly...if my phone ever finishes uploading them.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions rep
    •   

3. New pics!

side chest

most muscular

front lat spread

back double bi

I'm still holding on to too much BF but I'm working crazy hard on that. I also gotta work on flexing my legs more, I begin to focus elsewhere and forget about that sometimes. My chest looks a little flat since

4. So today my focus was on delts.

-DB lat raises (various angles)

-HS seated press

-Cable side raises

-Front raises

-Upright rows

-HS shrugs

then hit hamstrings a little bit again to help bring them up

-SLDL. I haven't done these since I hurt my back in december with too much weight and crappy form. I have since rectified that and started really slow today. I just did stretches with the bar first and when I was done I dropped it...forgetting that there were no plates on the ends and the bar landed on my foot. That hurt like a beast! There were a few other people around so I just went and sat down and held all the crying inside. I ended up going up to 285 with no straps and didn't want to push it further so I decided to keep it there and see how my back feels tomorrow.

Then I met with my posing instructor at the gym and practiced that for an hour and a half. That was so exhausting that I counted it as my morning cardio session.
  5. Unhappy

This log/journal is making me depressed~~~I need to get my training /diet back on track . Ha

Serious Nutrition Solution ~~

mw at seriousnutritionsolutions dot com
    mike at competitiveedgelabs dot com

•   

6. I worked chest today...too tired to update though. I did an hour of posing with my coach this evening too. Need to get to bed cause I have to get up soon to go to Florida! Note that updates will be limited till I return.

7. So we had a great vacation and I had fun. I did get to workout but not as much as I'd like to but I got plenty of exercise walking around everywhere. I finally got to wrestle an alligator, that was one of the funest things I did there. I'm sitting in the airport now waiting for my flight so I thought I'd do a little update. Here's some pics.

8. More

This is the McDonald's in Orlando. They claimed it was the world's biggest. It had an arcade inside and was two stories and the menu included panins, pasta, pizza, and other things that actually looked pretty good.

Inside McDonald's

My pirate dinner show, it was ok, good for the first time experience

The gym I went to since there were NO golds gyms in Jacksonville.

The beach

9. I got two days till my comp. I'm starting to get both exicted and nervous. Working like crazy to make sure I have a good showing.

10. My camera person won't be making the show because apparently it's sold out. I'm not sure how I feel about having the entire place packed. My wife will be there though and will take pics.

I did almost an hour of cardio this morning, did another hour of cardio this evening, practiced my posing routine for over an hour and then hit the steam room for 40 minutes.

Check in is this (friday) evening.

11. What a weekend! Pics will come up shortly. I decided about two weeks ago to make a big push and do the bodybuilding division as well. My conditioning could have been better but I brought what I had to the table. It was one heck of a learning experience which will definitely benefit me in the competitions to come. The main thing I learned is that Physique division is NOT for me. I did not like it and felt uncomfortable. However, I did enjoy the bodybuilding division and met some cool people there.

12. So here's about how it went. I did my weigh in's and barely made weight. I had to drop several pounds this last week alone to make it. That was already an incredible challenge but I did it. Then we had our intro meeting and then I went and got my spray tan by Elite. They did an awesome job. The next morning we did check in's with our music and got our numbers. It felt very disorganized and cramped. The theater was packed and very stuffy and hot. I was sitting there and waiting to know what I was to do next when I heard the loud speaker announcing the commencement of the the men's show. I was frustrated about that and had to rush down to the backstage and change really quick. I didn't have enough time to eat like I had planned for my continued carb load so I felt I looked very flat. It was pretty nerve wracking at first but it subsided.

Our group was the largest group in the competition but I was excited when I was part of the first call out!

Afterwards I eat and took a nap because I didn't sleep very well the night before. I returned a few hours later for my individual routine which I was the most nervous about because it was the most awkward for me but I got through it well enough. Most of my pics were at the hotel between the sessions and backstage because my wife had a hard time getting close enough and I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for a few pictures.

Well, after the individual routines were done for our division they did the awards for the top 7 since there were so many of us. I placed 6th, which I'm happy with. My posing needed to be sharper and quicker. They ran us through the poses SO fast I barely had time to hit them. I also need to bring up my conditioning and not drop weight so quickly and do a proper carb load. Things I have learned that will make me better for my next competition in June.

Afterwards I spoke with all the judges to find out how I can improve and they said similar things to what I already knew but good to hear again. The pleasing part is that the judges liked my symmetry.

My boys got to come and watch me as well and were really excited for. My youngest is now calling me his "brown daddy" cause the tan is so deep and dark. It was definitely a learning experience that I enjoyed and I'm glad I did it. Now for some pics...sorry they're not the best quality.

13. I'm on the far right (stage left when facing the audience)

HOTEL shots between rounds:

14. I've been back at it this week. Today I did delts. I did multiple sets of each exercise in this order.

-Did some rear and side db raises to warm up.

-Seated DB press

-Rear cable delt pulls

-Lateral cable raises

-Front cable raises

-Decline sit-ups

15. Did arms yesterday.

I supersetted everything with 30-60 sec between sets. I also took some HemaVol and Maximize (no shill, promise!). I gotta say that I had the best pumps I've ever had, except for on ArA which are painful for me. I would venture to say that my extreme carb depletion last week and plenty of carbs this week also helped.

I did something like this:
    -Drag curls

-Tri rope pushdowns

-DB curls (not alternating)

-Tricep overhead extensions

Then I did some decline ab work.

16. Just saw this, Amazing experience there! Must have been a great learning opportunity. Nice seeing all those pix and congrats on getting in with the top 7.

Wow, so your doing another competition in June, Good Luck and keep posting, this is a very nice log. Love the pix of Gatorland I went there when I was like 8 LOL no pirates then tho, at least I don't remember.
    [email protected]
    http://www.facebook.com/Athleticxtreme
    Athletic Xtreme Rep

17. Quote Originally Posted by Mrodz View Post
    Just saw this, Amazing experience there! Must have been a great learning opportunity. Nice seeing all those pix and congrats on getting in with the top 7.

Wow, so your doing another competition in June, Good Luck and keep posting, this is a very nice log. Love the pix of Gatorland I went there when I was like 8 LOL no pirates then tho, at least I don't remember.
    Thanks, it was a great experience! Gatorland was awesome, we had alot of fun there. The Pirate Dinner show was a separate event. I wanted to go to one of the dinner and a show attractions.

Goo to see that people like the log, I'll keep it going. I'm working on adding a little bit of mass and bringing up a couple areas like my hams for this month. Then the next two months will be dedicated to conditioning with no sudden rapid loss. I'll be working on my posing too and hopefully I can bring a better package to the next show. Too short of a time to make any single drastic changes but hopefully a lot of little ones and adjustments will make a difference.

18. Today I did chest with a little light shoulders thrown in and then some abs...and some cardio. Yeah I was at the gym WAY too long.

-DB incline bench (no spotter for this one so I worked up to 90's and left it there)

-BB flat bench
    This one was different. When I did 225, it felt a little heavier then normal, which I was very happy with. I decided to take a minute and do it again. The second time was much better and I decided to go up to 245 which is where I usually top out for a full set. I was able to do about 6 reps and I decided that I was going to push it today. So I was determined to see what I could do and threw on 260. Yes these numbers are not impressive but I've never had a good bench so I was happy. I got the 260 up for 4 reps and then decided to shoot for 275. I got it up 3 times but my spotter had to help steady and "pull just a little" so I don't count any of those. I think I can do if I try it earlier in the workout, so next week it's on!

-Incline BB bench

-Decline BB bench

-Boss leverage bench

-Pec flyes

then some light shoulders
    -Shoulder press

-Delt flyes

then ab work
    -decline sit-ups

-Neck-ups

-Weighted machine crunches

-Leg raises

-Russian twists

19. So I didn't do my leg workout in the morning because I had a chemistry quiz in the afternoon to study for. I went after class instead and had a horrible workout. Not because of the timing but from the result.

I warmed up on the elliptical for 10 minutes and then warmed up by doing supersets with leg extensions and hamstring curls.

Then I started squats. I went really light at first and worked the weight up. I was still doing relatively light weight on my fourth set when at the last few reps, at the top, my lower back started feeling sore in a not so good way. I decided to stop there and not push it further. I evaluated my form and it looked good. I sat down and my back lower back slowly started seizing up. It got to the point where I decided I wasn't doing any more squats today and had to skip out on SLDL's. Just stripping the bar hurt. I had to walk like a constipated grandpa because the pain kept gradually intensifying. I didn't want to give up though and leave my hams unbalanced so I do some laying leg curls where I didn't have to put any pressure on my back. I then had to call it quits. I went into the hot tub for half an hour and that seemed to help while I was in there. I'm still not sure what I did wrong but I think I aggravated my previous injury from last december. So last night sucked.

Today it's really tight and sore but better. I'm going to try and make it to the gym here shortly for my delt day and do more machine and seated stuff to keep as much pressure off the back as possible. We'll see how it goes.

This might slow me down a little but won't stop me.

20. Good Idea, it'll hopefully subside in a few days.
    [email protected]
    Athletic Xtreme Rep

21. Quote Originally Posted by Mrodz View Post
    Good Idea, it'll hopefully subside in a few days.
    I ended up skipping the gym yesterday as it started to tighten up again and I didn't want to risk any further setbacks. I did go today though...update to follow shortly

22. I did arms today and did mainly machines and cables to minimize movement and stabilizing with my back. My back felt a bit better today and my exercising actually seemed to help loosen it up a bit.

I did this:

-Preacher Curls (machine)
    supersetted with
    -Tricep Pushdowns (machine)
    supersetted with
    -Cable drag curls

Did a few sets and then did this:

-Tricep Overhead Extensions (machine)
    supersetted with
    -Bicep cable curls
    supersetted with
    -Bench dips (bodyweight only)

did a few rotations with minimal rest and had some great pumps.

Then I did some delt work.

-Rear delt cables

-Hammer Strength shoulder press

Figured that was probably enough this time!
  23. Thumbs up

Today was...different. I was concerned about my back still but its been feeling MUCH better. Still a little tight though, so I decided to do what I wanted to do, but to monitor it. This workout turned out to be excellent for me and I was able to get a PR!

Here's what I did and in this exact order.

-Incline DB Press
    did several sets and worked my way up to 90lbs db's. I didn't want to do more without a spotter as I was going solo today.

-Flat Bench Press
    warmed up with the bar and then 135.
    Did a set and 225 and then decided to go straight for 275.
    I grabbed a guy at the gym and had him spot me and had another take the video.
    I was able get 5 reps at 275, the last two with help!

Here's the video:

That felt good and I was able to get multiple reps so I decide I would try to max out at 300. I was able to get 3 reps but the spotter assured me that I did either one or two without any help and that he just had his hands there for safety. PR at 300!

Here's that video:

I then tried the 300 again and did two reps but with alot of help as I was pretty much spent now.

-Decline Bench

-Incline Bench

-Pec Flyes
    compound setted with
    -Pec Dec

24. so the day after that ^^^lift, I hit back really hard and strained what I believe is the origin of my brachialis. I tried to play ball later that night but it started to hurt too much and I had to leave to keep from aggravating it worse. Took the rest of the week off until saturday night.

So last friday I went camping and had some fun, saturday morning it snowed on us. I took a nap when I got home and ate a bunch of chocolate chip cookies that my wife made for me. I mean like a full dozen or so, which made me feel like crap so I forced myself to get up and go to the gym. It was one of those days that I wasn't very motivated so I took some extra Maximize to help give me a boost.

I did legs and was going to do arms afterwards. However, after legs, the staff started closing down the gym. I looked at the clock and it was only 8pm. I asked them if they were closing early for Easter and they said, uh no, we always close at 8 on saturdays. Oh. I went home and forced myself to finish my workout there. I was worried about my arms because of the strain which was finally feeling better so I did really low weight/high reps. All of my reps were in the 20-30 rep range. It kept my arm from hurting and actual got some decent hypertrophy.

Yesterday I did my normal chest day but did lighter weight and higher reps again but closer to 12-15 reps. I did:

Incline DB press

Flat DB press

Decline DB press

and finished with incline smith press.

I missed this morning's workout with some stomach issues that kept me up most of the night. Not sure if it was from something that I ate but I don't feel sick. I'll be back at it tomorrow and also play some ball tonight.

25. Congrats on the PR

Serious Nutrition Solution ~~

mw at seriousnutritionsolutions dot com
    mike at competitiveedgelabs dot com

26. Hey! I could have sworn I posted here earlier today!
    Congrats on the PR man, nice vids
    Snow at the end of April! I can't even imagine.
    [email protected]
    Athletic Xtreme Rep

27. Quote Originally Posted by mw1 View Post
    Congrats on the PR
    thanks em, it was nice to hit that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrodz View Post
    Hey! I could have sworn I posted here earlier today!
    Congrats on the PR man, nice vids
    Snow at the end of April! I can't even imagine.
    yeah, it snowed again yesterday and last night. so tired of snow. Next time I move, it's going to be somewhere warm where there is no such thing as snow.

28. I just saw this log today. I'm sort of in vague contest prep myself, as the show i'm entering is near the end of August. So i'm not in a super rush now, but will fat loss hit hard come june.

29. Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    I just saw this log today. I'm sort of in vague contest prep myself, as the show i'm entering is near the end of August. So i'm not in a super rush now, but will fat loss hit hard come june.
    nice, have you competed before? I have 8 weeks and 3 days until my next show. I'm starting conditioning for it now. I learned alot from the last one that will hopefully help me do better this time around.

30. No, never competed, never have seen a 6 pack even I've kept procrastinating about it, and making relatively mediocre fat loss progress so I finally decided this would be the year. Comically, the original shows that I would have done one or the other of happen to be a week apart in June, and are on the weekends that my timeshare in PR begins and ends... so no dice for either of those this year. But luckily one of the IFBB pros local to me decided to set up a class II show (just local counties) for the end of August this year for the first time. The downside to the class II show is theres no weight classes for the Over 40 group. But I'm not sure whether thats necessarily all bad for me, as i'm guessing i'll come in low 180s for it, which most of the other shows have their over 40 cutoff at 176 1/4 for 2 weight classes
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. My contest prep...
    By rysigpi in forum Bodybuilding Contest Preperation
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-19-2012, 01:05 AM
  2. Contest Prep cycle and contest prep help
    By Swoleosis in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-07-2010, 04:40 PM
  3. Contest prep
    By kkschaef in forum Female Fitness