Rodja's Post-Grad Training

Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    hahah hes such a funny guy. im doing Gi tonight. been trying to work on this bump sweep to triangle i saw ryan hall do on youtube. seems like a move you can get anyone with because everyone puts their hand down when you go for the bump sweep, you just have to be so fast...
    I've worn a gi maybe 3 times in my life. I really have no interest in the gi game as my grappling is based around MMA.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

2. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I've worn a gi maybe 3 times in my life. I really have no interest in the gi game as my grappling is based around MMA.
    ahhh thats right i forgot. well that move is gi or no gi really. tell you what though, ive built a monster set of forearms and grip from last 3 years of doing gi. ive rolled with many kids who never do gi and i always have a stronger grip.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    ahhh thats right i forgot. well that move is gi or no gi really. tell you what though, ive built a monster set of forearms and grip from last 3 years of doing gi. ive rolled with many kids who never do gi and i always have a stronger grip.
    Since I started using Fat Gripz on most of my lifts, my forearms have become one of the stronger muscles in my body. They're still not strong enough for me to go strapless on most rows, but they're not a limiting factor on deads for me anymore.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

4. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Since I started using Fat Gripz on most of my lifts, my forearms have become one of the stronger muscles in my body. They're still not strong enough for me to go strapless on most rows, but they're not a limiting factor on deads for me anymore.
    ive tried those before they are awesome. might have to get a pair, only available online right?

5. Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    ive tried those before they are awesome. might have to get a pair, only available online right?
    I believe so. I got them from EFS back in the Fall when they were on sale. Fantastic use of $30. My main focus lately has been to get equipment that'll translate more into applicable strength and pre-hab.

In the past 6 months, I've bought:
    10mm single-prong belt (still breaking it in)
    Prowler
    Fat Gripz
    450 lb tire

I still need to get a weighted vest, keg, and (possibly) some blast straps.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

6. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I believe so. I got them from EFS back in the Fall when they were on sale. Fantastic use of $30. My main focus lately has been to get equipment that'll translate more into applicable strength and pre-hab.

In the past 6 months, I've bought:
    10mm single-prong belt (still breaking it in)
    Prowler
    Fat Gripz
    450 lb tire

I still need to get a weighted vest, keg, and (possibly) some blast straps.
    you wear the belt for 90% and up squats and deads? ive never worn one of those but they have one at the gym.

7. Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    you wear the belt for 90% and up squats and deads? ive never worn one of those but they have one at the gym.
    I use it on all of my working sets for squats and deads; depending on the day, it could range from 75-95%. I've never used a PLing belt before and the feel is completely different from the traditional weight belts out there. I also use it on the tire flips just to be safe.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

8. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I use it on all of my working sets for squats and deads; depending on the day, it could range from 75-95%. I've never used a PLing belt before and the feel is completely different from the traditional weight belts out there. I also use it on the tire flips just to be safe.
    $hit im not sure which one they have at the gym. its single prong as well but its probably a regular belt. i ask you guys all these questions because ive gotten pretty strong the past couple years but i know absolutely very little about kinesialogy (sp?) and exercise science, i like using your guys knowledge so i dont hurt myself.

9. Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    $hit im not sure which one they have at the gym. its single prong as well but its probably a regular belt. i ask you guys all these questions because ive gotten pretty strong the past couple years but i know absolutely very little about kinesialogy (sp?) and exercise science, i like using your guys knowledge so i dont hurt myself.
    Most PL belts aren't tapered. My old one was a Valeo leather belt, but my new one is this:
    http://flexcart.com/members/elitefts...d=183&pid=3594

I had never used one of these before and they are a bitch to break in. I've had it for about a month and still don't quite have it to where I'd like it. Still, the support and protection is much, much better.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

10. I also forgot to add the most important purchase I've made lately:

The RumbleRoller
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

•   

11. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I also forgot to add the most important purchase I've made lately:

The RumbleRoller
    oooo a foam roller on steroids! haha

12. Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    oooo a foam roller on steroids! haha
    Pretty much. I love it. Kinda pricey, but I use it everyday and it's still cheaper than a massage and a chiropractor session.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

13. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Pretty much. I love it. Kinda pricey, but I use it everyday and it's still cheaper than a massage and a chiropractor session.
    i always have a hard time foamrolling upper body. legs are easy to do but i just cant get enough pressure on my back with that thing. i should probably try using a lax ball right?

14. Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    i always have a hard time foamrolling upper body. legs are easy to do but i just cant get enough pressure on my back with that thing. i should probably try using a lax ball right?
    Have you tried this:
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

15. ahhh crap, cant look at youtube from work computer. whats the name of the video, ill look it up when i get home

16. You are the biggest advocate for Foam rollers in all the inter-web.
    NSCA - CSCS

17. My old roommates GI would stink up the entire apartment everytime he came home from BJJ. I mean, STINK.
    NSCA - CSCS

18. Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    ahhh crap, cant look at youtube from work computer. whats the name of the video, ill look it up when i get home
    Look up "Simple 6" on YouTube.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

19. Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    My old roommates GI would stink up the entire apartment everytime he came home from BJJ. I mean, STINK.
    thats gross bro, i havent smelled a bad gi in a long time. i wash mine every 3 uses or so but i dont stink. i think it probably has to do with the diet.

20. Well, I am very excited about tomorrow. I've been accumulating various supplements over the past several months via trades, purchases, rep package, etc. and I'm finally going to take a nice dip into it. During my week of deloading, I increased the calories to try to get my mind and body refreshed. I had been feeling really run down and lethargic lately from training too hard and cutting calories too low. This week has really reignited my fire, though, and I feel great.

My new stack is a 3-headed attack consisting of:
    Formestane LV
    TCF-1
    TestoPro

3 different routes of test boosting to go along with my staples of:
    MAP
    Multi-V
    Fish Oil
    Vit D
    ALA

For my cutting purposes, I have kept HEAT, DCP, and Slin Sane into my current supplementation, but I did not use them the past week since I was less active and was eating kinda dirty.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

21. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Well, I am very excited about tomorrow. I've been accumulating various supplements over the past several months via trades, purchases, rep package, etc. and I'm finally going to take a nice dip into it. During my week of deloading, I increased the calories to try to get my mind and body refreshed. I had been feeling really run down and lethargic lately from training too hard and cutting calories too low. This week has really reignited my fire, though, and I feel great.

My new stack is a 3-headed attack consisting of:
    Formestane LV
    TCF-1
    TestoPro

3 different routes of test boosting to go along with my staples of:
    MAP
    Multi-V
    Fish Oil
    Vit D
    ALA

For my cutting purposes, I have kept HEAT, DCP, and Slin Sane into my current supplementation, but I did not use them the past week since I was less active and was eating kinda dirty.
    Sounds Awesome man, im excited to see how this works out for you
    Just inject.
    Facebook:
    www.facebook.com/heretostudy

22. hey dude I think i got a mild concussion. people at the new school spar with head gear and swing for the fences so im sitting here with a black and blue nose and a phucked up jaw lol didnt really get naseaus last night but right now im at work and i definitely want to throw up. how long would u say i should take off from sparring? i hate that im still new to the standup game so i couldnt even counter all the haymakers and got all smashed up...

23. Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    hey dude I think i got a mild concussion. people at the new school spar with head gear and swing for the fences so im sitting here with a black and blue nose and a phucked up jaw lol didnt really get naseaus last night but right now im at work and i definitely want to throw up. how long would u say i should take off from sparring? i hate that im still new to the standup game so i couldnt even counter all the haymakers and got all smashed up...
    Until ALL symptoms are gone. I had a mild concussion when I ate a HK one time and I made sure not to spar for about 2 weeks. Take some time off from rigorous training for about a week and then have a hard training session before you consider sparring again. Exertion can sometimes trigger PCS symptoms and it's better to get them when you don't have fists flying at your face.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

24. 1/17: Military

Standing Military: 115x5, 125x5, 135x5
    T-Bar Rows/Dips: 180x12/BW+25x10, 205x10/BW+25x10, 205x10/BW+25x10
    Facepulls/Pressdowns: 80x15/80x15, 80x15/80x15, 80x15/80x15

DC Stretches

MMA
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

25. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    1/17: Military

Standing Military: 115x5, 125x5, 135x5
    T-Bar Rows/Dips: 180x12/BW+25x10, 205x10/BW+25x10, 205x10/BW+25x10
    Facepulls/Pressdowns: 80x15/80x15, 80x15/80x15, 80x15/80x15

DC Stretches

MMA
    supersetting tbar and dips? i love mixing push and pull.

dude im loving training wrestling. my shot and takedowns are getting so good. there are so many options in wrestling. I can finally use my top game in BJJ. wish i did it in high school or something.

26. Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    supersetting tbar and dips? i love mixing push and pull.

dude im loving training wrestling. my shot and takedowns are getting so good. there are so many options in wrestling. I can finally use my top game in BJJ. wish i did it in high school or something.
    I love to do a push-pull and I usually do them in the same plane as well for further balance. I've been working my wrestling very heavily during sparring, but not focusing on just a straight double as that doesn't have a very high success rate. I prefer to go with singles or turn the corner on a shot. The Randy Couture wrestling book is really, really good if you can find it for cheap.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

27. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I love to do a push-pull and I usually do them in the same plane as well for further balance. I've been working my wrestling very heavily during sparring, but not focusing on just a straight double as that doesn't have a very high success rate. I prefer to go with singles or turn the corner on a shot. The Randy Couture wrestling book is really, really good if you can find it for cheap.
    Brock's problem is he's always going for doubles and he probably knows better. If he had the mindset to go for trips or even singles while in the octagon, he'd be much more dangerous (and if he "accepted" being punched in the face).
    NSCA - CSCS

28. 1/18: Dynamic Lower

Box Jumps: 27"x5, 30"x3, 33"x3, 36"x3
    Box Squats: 205x5, 225x5, 225x5
    SLDL (4"box and Fat Gripz): 135x10, 135x10, 135x10
    Standing Cable Crunches: 85x10, 85x10, 85x10, 85x10

DC Stretches

First dynamic leg session in awhile and it went smoothly. I went easy on the box jumps to get the movement and hip explosion down before I start going back up in height. I wanted to get a Prowler session in after this, but I ran out of time.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

29. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    my favorite is the high crotch. its such a fast way to get in and grab the single. then i turn it into a double. people that stuff my doubles always get caught with the high C if i can just throw their arm out of the way and get close.

i was gonna ask you about the belt. at the gym they have a big ole weightlifting belt and this non tapered one with velcro. the velcro one felt really good and tight even though its velcro. i noticed with squats my technique was really good and i was exerting much less total effort. it felt like my hamstrings/glutes/hips really exploded out of the hole. does this mean my midsection or lower back is weaker than my legs? it feels very stable to squat with the belt but i dont wanna miss out on using squats to strengthen my core. how exactly does that stuff work? you say you wear the belt for every working set
    BJJ = life

30. Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Brock's problem is he's always going for doubles and he probably knows better. If he had the mindset to go for trips or even singles while in the octagon, he'd be much more dangerous (and if he "accepted" being punched in the face).
    They look pretty, but they're like a head kick: not very effective. However, when they land, they usually have some nasty repercussions.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    my favorite is the high crotch. its such a fast way to get in and grab the single. then i turn it into a double. people that stuff my doubles always get caught with the high C if i can just throw their arm out of the way and get close.

i was gonna ask you about the belt. at the gym they have a big ole weightlifting belt and this non tapered one with velcro. the velcro one felt really good and tight even though its velcro. i noticed with squats my technique was really good and i was exerting much less total effort. it felt like my hamstrings/glutes/hips really exploded out of the hole. does this mean my midsection or lower back is weaker than my legs? it feels very stable to squat with the belt but i dont wanna miss out on using squats to strengthen my core. how exactly does that stuff work? you say you wear the belt for every working set
    Without looking at video, it's hard to say. However, one very plausible explanation is that it forced you to maintain a proper arch in your lumbar. I use my belt on sets of >80% for protection purposes. I'm not really sure where the saying that squats strengthen the core started, but it's been exaggerated a lot. I recommend doing weighted core work (hypers, incline situps, standing cable crunches, etc.) to augment the strength benefits of squats and deads.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

Similar Forum Threads

1. Rodja's Training Log
    By Rodja in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 06-12-2009, 11:26 PM
  2. Rodja's training with the panzer bjorn log
    By Rodja in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-23-2008, 01:07 AM
  3. Rodja's Pwning Grad School w/ X-Force
    By Rodja in forum Supplement Logs