IFPA Pro & Scivation Athlete Tommy Jeffers ~ The Never Ending Quest To Be The Best

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Back...No Wait...Legs!

Dynamic Stretching + Foam Rolling!

Barbell Deadlifts
    135X15 - Warmup
    225X12 - Warmup
    315X10 - Warmup
    600X1 - PR!

Hammer Strength Linear Hack Press
    6ppsX12 - PR!

Machine Single Leg Extensions
    110X12 each leg
    120X10 each leg
    130X8 drop 70X8 each leg

Inner/Outer Thigh

~Today was a big mental boost for me! I actually went in today thinking I was going to do back, and I was mentally preparing to give deadlifts absolutely everything I had to see where my strength was at with that particular exercise. So, I made sure that I nailed my nutrition all day, got my vitamins in, had my pre, during, and post workout nutrition ready to go, you name it. So, as soon as I closed the office down, I popped in my iPod and started getting ready.

I was going to go by feel and let my body dictate what all I was going to end up doing today. So with deadlifts, I began. I didn't really do too much with the lighter weight/warmups as I wanted to make sure I had enough juice for the heavy stuff. So I started off with some stretching, foam rolling, and started adding the plates. Once I got up to the 405 lbs. mark, I wasn't going "all out" rather I was leaving a little left in the tank so that I could see how heavy I could get up to. Low and behold, I eventually got up to 6 plates per side (by this time I had a small audience in the gym lol) and got a very smooth single rep. I think by this time, I could have definitely gotten 2 reps and possibly even 3, but I decided to stop and give an even 600 lbs a try. It was SLOW rep at the start from the bottom, but when I got to about the knees, the weight flew right up. I feel like I can't explode right off the floor with the weight because of an old injury I had where I tore my hamstring right off the glute tie in. Ever since then, I mentally can't explode from the bottom like I used to (squats, deadlifts, etc.) because there have been times when I've tweaked/aggravated it by doing so. But, finally breaking 600 lbs was a HUGE barrier for me and I am really excited that I finally did it! I didn't use a belt, but I did use versa grips straps. I would love to be able to grip the bar without them, but for those who know me, my hands are pretty small and I have stubby fingers...so without them, even though my actual grip strength is really good, I just can't grip the bar with that kind of weight without losing the grip before my lift is done.

Anyway, after the deadlifts, like I said, I was going to hit some back, but my biceps were still smoked from yesterday, so I called an audible and just decided to proceed to bash the hell out of my legs with a quad focus! I broke another barrier on the Hammer Strength Linear Hack Press where I worked all the way up to 6 plates per side, and still pounded out 12 reps out of god knows where lol. It's a very awkward setup with the support pads being at the lower back, so I haven't been able to use the kind of weight that I normally can on the normal hack squat, but today was just a day where I busted through any mental limitations I had previously put on myself

All in all, it was an awesome day!

Movie Quote Of The Day

"Pig Pen, when I want advice about a good 'Planet of the Apes' film, or maybe how to get the resin out of my bong, I'll come to you...ok? But, I am not gonna take romantic advice from somebody who cannot spell romantic or advice...or bong."

2. Shoulders/Traps/Calves

DB Military Press: 100X18 - PR!
    BB Shrugs (2 second hold at top): 500X8 (3 sets)
    Machine Lateral Raises: 205X8 - PR!
    DB Reverse Incline Raises: 35X15
    Reverse Pec Deck: 190X12
    Straight Leg Calf Raises (V-Squat Machine): 7ppsX12 - Sporto Tempo
    Seated Calf Raises: 3p+25psX5 - Sporto Tempo

~Yesterday was a MUCH needed day off! I also think that's why my partner bailed on me is because he is still probably recovering lol. Hell, even my legs are still pretty inflamed, but I'm sure they will be ready to go by the time my next leg day comes around. I actually wanted to do either chest or back today, but my workout partner bailed on me, so I just went with a little shoulder, trap, and calf work. I kept the tempo going and the rest between sets pretty short and got this one done in about an hour...worked up a great sweat too! The dumbbells only go up to 100s, so I decided to see how many times I could press them for seated military presses since I didn't have a workout partner/spotter. I ended up doing it 18 times before finally failing on the 19th rep...which, a little bit of help and I could have had another solid rep, but oh well.

I had to use a belt for the Barbell Shrugs...since I squeeze and hold the weight at the top of the movement for 2 counts, it's a killer on the lower back towards the end, so as a just in case, I threw the belt on.

The rest of the workout was pretty straightforward...just kept it moving and got my work done.

Random Life Talk

My wife surprised me yesterday and drove down from Indy to spend the day, night and better part of today with me! I ended up playing hooky from work and took th wife and daughter out to eat and spent the day just out and about with the both of them. It was just the best surprise ever lol. The one bad thing about tax season is that I only see them on the weekends until the end of April, so this was a pleasant surprise to say the least. My wife even commented today at how "smitten" I am by my daughter...when actually, I am honestly smitten by the both of them! Being a daddy is one of the greatest feelings a man can get...that, and picking up 600lbs off the floor for the first time

Movie Quote Of The Day

"Now, you're telling me that you are so ingrained with white trash DNA, that your facial hair actually grows in on its own all white trashy like that?"

3. Chest

Barbell Incline Press: 315X7 PR!
    Machine Pec Deck Flys: 305X8 (Entire Stack) PR!
    Smith Low Incline Press (2 second pause at bottom): 325X5 drop 235X5 drop 185X5
    Low To High Cable Flys: 90X10 PR! (for this particular machine lol)

Seated Machine Lat Pulldowns: StackX10 drop 180X10 PR!
    Seated Machine Close Grip Rows: StackX12 drop 200X10 PR!
    Seated Machine Pull-Overs: 3p+25psX8 PR!
    Machine Close Grip Pull-Downs: 250X10 drop 165X10 PR!
    Hyperextensions: 125X15 PR!

~ Had an INCREDIBLE chest workout yesterday...I was able to take off of work early and head up to Indy so that I catch a workout in with some of the old workout crew. We always feed off of each other and usually push each other to new levels - this workout was no different! I'm starting to find my groove with my nutrition, training and supplementation as the personal bests just keep on coming. I think the last video I took a couple of years ago of me doing incline press was when I tried 325 for 2 reps...I pretty confident I can at least get a good solid 5 reps on my own now. 3 reps, 2 years....hey, as long as I've been training, I'll take it!

For my back workout, I learned something...I need to save the machine work until AFTER I do the Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral (plate loaded) movements or barbell movements because it appears now that when I am fresh early in the workout, I can use the entire stack the machine has to offer with relative ease. I started off with them today because I had to fly solo and wasn't sure about doing any max effort work by myself, so I decided to just do some hypertrophy/volume work today in an all out blitz. Next time I do that, I start off with Hammer Strength from now on

I actually had a "semi" rant that I was prepared to type up today for the topic section of my journal, but it started to get really lengthy, and I need to cut this short so I can get back to spending time with my wife and daughter. When I update my journal from Terre Haute again, I'll spend time typing out what I want to say, so for those interested, stay tuned - it involves the food source vs. IIFYM debate

Movie Quote Of The Day:

"Let's think about this for a sec, Ted. Why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting. Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside. You figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted? The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I've seen it a hundred times."

"But why do they put a guarantee on the box?"

"Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of sh*t. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will, I've got spare time...but for your sake, for your daughter's sake, why don't you buy a quality product from me?"

4. Chest

Main Highlights

Barbell Incline Press: 325X5 - PR!
    Machine Pec Deck Flys: 305X10 (Entire Stack) - PR!

Main Highlights

Rack Deadlifts: 675 RP 10X5X3 - PR!
    Barbell Bent Over Rows (Pendlay Style From Floor): 315X14 - PR!

~Strength is still slowly climbing, which is nice! On chest day, when I was doing incline barbell presses, I had a a 6th rep similar to the one in a video I have on youtube where I did 325 for 2 reps with some help on the second rep. So, in a couple of years, I've beenable to add ~5 reps to my incline barbell press. That may not seem like much, but hey, I'll take it! Also, on the Pendlay style barbell bent over rows, my form was much tighter than the video I have on youtube where I did 6 reps, and I still managed to more than double that effort - so the back is getting better! I thought Iwould try a rest pause on the rack deadlifts just to see, and holy geez, it is VERY difficult to regroup mentally and physically (especially with the core) to pull that off with that kind of weight. After that set, I was instantly soaked with sweat, like my body was saying "Welcome to the workout!" Anyway, I added in some hypertrophy accessory work on the pulldown side (also getting better) and I'm starting to love the Hammer Strength pull over machine! I've got an arm day scheduled with some of my big boys in Indy, so I'll see if I get the video camera out and get a shot of a PR set!

Life Happenings

So...I've got some really exciting things in the works right now that I will soon be able to announce. It finally looks like some things that I've been working hard towards are going to finally come together and come to fruition, and possibly at the same time. I'm not going to say anything just yet, but things are looking really good right now, and hopefully soon I might be able to give away a little teaser

Movie Quote Of The Day:

"The teacher asked me what was the capital of North Carolina. I said Washington, D.C. She said, "No, you're wrong." I said, "You got a lumpy butt." She got mad at me and yelled at me and I pissed in my pants and I never did change my pee-pants all day. I'm still sittin' in my dirty pee-pants."

5. Arms

Main Highlights

Standing Barbell Curls: 135X13 - PR!

EZ Skull Crushers: 205X5 - PR!

~ Wow, what a difference it makes being back in Indy with my normal workout crew! The intensity was phenomenal and my arms are extremely heavy today! Believe it or not, I actually received a PM the other day claiming that I supposedly "make up" my numbers in my journal lol. So, I thought what better proof than a couple of videos from the workout last night! The standing barbell curls were a strong one for me yesterday. I really felt like my form was even better than the last video I took (where I got 11 reps for a PR) right before I started prep. I ended up getting 13, but the 14th rep was SO CLOSE! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get it up unless I used a whole lot more than just biceps lol. The skull crushers feltsolid as well. The form was a little sloppy for my taste, but I chalk that up to it being the first time I have ever attempted that weight before. My buddy actually started recording a rep late, so I was able to get 5 solid reps with a little help on the 6th one. I was going to lower the weight slowly, but my spotter didn't know that, so he took the weight from the top of the rep. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy the videos!

Movie Quote Of The Day:

"He’s climbin' in your windows, he’s snatchin' yo people up tryin' to rape 'em, so y’all need to hide your kids, hide your wife, and hide your husband cuz they’re rapin' err'body out here."

Similar Forum Threads

1. Which to believe? Quest Ultra E2 or Standard Quest E2?
    By pcgizzmo in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-04-2012, 10:28 AM
  2. Mr. Aestheticz goes IFPA pro w/ TestoPro...Let's Go!!!
    By Mr Aestheticz in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 06-03-2010, 02:41 PM
  3. Tommy Jeffers, Sporto, New IFPA Pro
    By Old Navy in forum Bodybuilding Contest Preperation
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-24-2007, 01:56 PM