IFPA Pro & Scivation Athlete Tommy Jeffers ~ The Never Ending Quest To Be The Best

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Monday - Back/Biceps/Calves

Barbell Bent Over Rows
    365X5
    365X5
    365X5
    365X5
    365X5

Standing EZ Bar Curls
    145X5
    145X5
    145X5
    145X4 - TOAST!

Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral Pull-Downs
    4p+25psX5
    4p+25psX5
    4p+25psX5
    4p+25psX5
    4p+25psX5

Seated Dumbbell Curls
    65X8
    65X8 - Video Coming!
    70X6

Seated Close Grip Cable Rows
    270X10
    285X10
    300X8

Hammer Strength Seated Plate Loaded Cow Raises
    1p+25psX10
    2ppsX8
    2p+25psX8
    3ppsX6

~I didn't have a whole lot of time to get this workout in, so I did the best I could and kept the workout moving to squeeze as much in as I can. For about the next month-month and a half or so, I pretty much will just have to do the best I can with what I have to work with. Tax season is in full blown force right now, therefore I am busy and sitting at a computer screen from 10-12 hours a day lol. So the real trick right now is trying to maintain where I am at until we settle down and I have much more time to devote to a consistent schedule for both training and nutrition. After tax season, I will be attacking the gym with an intensity beyond anything I've ever had before. I have set the bar extremely high for myself now, and for me to continue the trend, I have to put in a lot more work to bring an even better, all-time best package to the stage next time. I'm really looking forward to proving some paradigms of mine by praticing what I preach and showing the noticeable differences that they will make. So, for now I will bust out what I can, and then after tax season, the steroid-like gains will be pouring in...

Topic Of The Day - Muscle Group Frequency

One of the things that never quite sat right with me when looking at most workout splits was the fact that most of them are created to try and coincide with a work week. What I mean by that is, for the most part, a lot of workout splits rotate every 7 days and most lifters associate days of the week with certain muscle group pairings and they ultimately end up hitting all muscle groups with the same frequency and then trying to find the right volume for their "sweet spot" routine to balance out right for them. Now, I do realize that most people do not desire to compete at the elite level of natural bodybuilding, but I do believe that the advanced lifter needs to create their workout split without succumbing to trying to fit it into a 7 day work week, mostly because the volume/intensity that an advanced lifter probably needs to continue to make gains is going to be more than the average, intermediate lifter.

Typcially, if you are on the advanced level, you are living the bodybuilder "lifestyle" and will always find a way to get a workout in no matter what day of the week it is. So instead of looking at days as Monday, Tuesday, etc., you should look at days as Day 1, Day 2, etc. and allow your workout split to focus on certain frequencies for certain muscle groups. That way, you can really break everything down and design your workout split to focus on what needs to be brought up in order to achieve the desired look that you want. One of the HARDEST things to do as a natural bodybuilder (or any physique enthusiast for that matter) is to NOT try and bring EVERYTHING up at the same time. Even if you could ultimately do that, theoretically, you are still going to have the same flaws of proportion and symmetry that you had before lol. Sometimes you just have to prioritize your focus in certain areas to get the right balance and right look...and that is a very difficult thing to do mentally. We are so used to pushing ourselves day in and day out, that sometimes we forget to strategize our offseasons to bring out the best look. Think about it...how often to you look forward to working out your best muscle groups? I know I always do

So when putting together your workout split, think about possibly setting it up without a 7 day work week in mind. Think about where to focus your frequency, volume and intensity and to what muscle groups. Try to rotate as many exercises that you can in and out of your routines. Focus on one intensity technique for a few weeks, then switch it up to a different. Your body is the most adaptive machine on the planet and it will adapt to just about anything you throw at it. Keep it from adapting...keep it GROWING!

Movie Quote Of The Day

"You must be out your god damn mind! Joe Louis is the greatest boxer that ever lived! I'll be with you boys in a minute. He was better than Cassius Clay, he was better than Sugar Ray, and that new dude, what's his name? Mike Tyson? Looks like a bulldog; he was better than him too."

"Vait a minute. Vat about Rocky Marciano?"

"Oh, there they go. There they go, every time I start talkin 'bout boxing, a white man gotta pull Rocky Marciano out their ass. That's their one, that's their one. Rocky Marciano. Rocky Marciano. Let me tell you something once and for all. Rocky Marciano was good, but compared to Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano ain't ****."

"He beat Joe Louis' ass."

"That's right, he did whoop Joe Louis' ass."

"Joe Louis was 75 years old when they fought!"

"I don't know how old he was, but he got his ass whooped."

"Joe Louis had come out of retirement to fight Rocky Marciano the minute he was 76 years old. Joe Louis is always lying about his age. He lie about his age all the time. One time Frank Sinatra came in here and sat in this chair. I said Frank 'you hang out with Joe Louis, just between me and you, how old is Joe Louis.' You know what Frank told me, he said "Hey, Joe Louis is 137 years old." A hundred and thirty-seven years old!"

"Oh. Man, you lying, you ain't never meet no Frank Sinatra."

"F*ck you, f*ck you, and f*ck you! Who's next?!"

Sporto

2. Lovin the topics of the day. Good stuff man. Balance is such a hard one. I have a successful career, go to school for 2 masters half time, working out, and keeping up with the supplement company I work for makes for a lot of missed meals and workouts. Gotta remember what's important though.
    ForeRunner Labs
    The Future of Human Performance
    Please LIKE FRL on Facebook

•   

3. Monday - Back/Biceps

Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral Lat Pull-Downs
    5pps RP 8X5X3

Standing Barbell Curls
    155 RP 8X4X2

Barbell Bent Over Rows
    315X15
    365X10
    405X8 drop 225X14 - TOAST!

Hammer Strength Preacher Curls
    135X8
    115X8
    115X6 drop 70X6 drop 45X6 - TOAST!

Seated Close Grip Cable Rows
    Seated Dumbbell Hammer Curls
    Bodyweight Pull-Ups

~Do you ever have one of those days where you just look enormous in the mirror? Like for whatever reason, you just look huge relative to what you normally do? What is that? Today I felt like an absolute beast in the gym - I can't really explain it. I didn't do anything different...nutrition was the same, the supplements are still basic, etc. Who knows. Whatever it was, everything just clicked today. I hoep this momentum carries forward...I'm gonna need a solid year and a half of this kind of working out if I'm gonna step back on stage against the best in this sport! I really wanted to deadlift today, but Ican still slightly feel the strain in my back and I didn't want to risk it...plus, my legs are still tender to touch, even from 3 DAYS AGO! So, it was probably a wise decision to hold off anyway. But, I am definitely looking forward to the next deadlift day...that's for sure!

Random Life Talk

It doesn't always have to be about weights and supplements in here, does it? My brother is over in Afghanistan right now. For those that don't know me, my brother is my best friend. I am extremely close to my family, and nothing is as important to me as they are. So, watching my brother deploy back in December was a very hard thing for me to go through. I am not the type of person that shows a lot of emotion, and even when he left, I didn't show very much, but after he was gone I ended up spending almost an entire day weeping. Anyway, he gets back to the States here in June and I have planned to take a little mini vacation with just the two of us down to Orlando, FL to hit up what used to be called Universal Studios. Some of you know that I am a movie FREAK (my brother is too), and the last time we went on a trip together was to Universal and Islands of Adventure to hit up roller coasters and movie rides. So this is something I am really looking forward to and am really anxious for him to get back. He hasn't seen much of his niece yet either, so I know he's gonna want to spend some time with here and hang out as much as he can before he heads back to DC for work.

My brother and I always used to say that one day, if we ever ended up living in the same area when we got older, we would both buy into a little "mini mansion" where my family would live in one wing, his in another, and we would share common living areas like a living room and kitchen. How cool would that be? Maybe one of these days...

Movie Quote Of The Day

"This suit is really cramping my Hardy Boys. It's no mystery. And, it dosen't really allow my dice to roll...and by dice I mean testicles...speaking of testicles, let me get a beer."

Sporto

4. Thursday - Shoulders/Traps

Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral Shoulder Press
    3p+25ps RP 8X5X3

Barbell Shrugs
    455X10 (2 second hold at top)

Cable Lateral Raises Superset Reverse Pec Deck
    27.5X12 SS 145X12
    30X10 SS 160X10
    32.5X8 SS 175X8

Seated Machine Lateral Raises
    150X10
    160X10
    170X8 - most I've ever done on this machine!

Barbell Upright Rows
    Seated Dumbbell Shrugs

~The stress fracture in my wrist still SUCKS but I manage to hold the weights in my hands in ways that cause the least amount of pain. I really wanted to do heavy dumbbell military presses, but they only go up to 100s at this gym, so I opted for something else.

On a side note, there is something that I am taking in my pre-workout mix that is making me feel really...swole...for lack of a better term. I don't know if it's any one thing or the combination I'm doing, but this last week has just been insane and it isn't something I've felt up to this point. I'm going to fiddle around with a couple of things and see if I can pinpoint it...

Random Life Talk

My daughter took the CUTEST picture today and it absolutely melted my heart!

I hope everyone had a good St Patty's Day!

Movie Quote Of The Day

"Am I a drug dealer? No, I am not. Thank you for asking, though. Is there anything else I can help you with? Perhaps you'd like an 11-year old prostitute sent to your room? We can do that. Or, maybe we can off someone for you. Huh? How's that sound? I've got it...why don't we start small? Would you like a fresh towel? Maybe you could roll that up and smoke it. By the way, Cheech, that credit card you guys gave me last night was maxed out, so don't go spending all your cash on needles and guns just yet."

Sporto

5. Chest/Calves

BB Bench Press
    315 RP 8X5X3 drop 225X8 drop 135X12

Incline Smith Presses (2 second pause at bottom)
    245X12
    285X8
    345X5 drop 235X5 drop 185X5

Machine Pec Deck Flys
    265X12
    280X10
    295X8 drop 195X8

DB Incline Flys
    80X10
    90X10
    100X8

Standing Calf Raises
    StackX10 - Sporto Tempo
    StackX10 - Sporto Tempo
    StackX10 - Sporto Tempo

Plate Loaded Seated Calf Raises
    3ppsX8 - Sporto Tempo
    3ppsX6 - Sporto Tempo
    3ppsX5 - Sporto Tempo

Arms

EZ Standing Curls
    170X7
    180X4

BB Decline Close-Grip Bench Press
    315 RP 8X5X3

DB Hammer Curls
    90X8
    100X5

DB Skull Crushers
    55X12
    65X10
    75X8 drop 45X8

HS Preacher Curls
    85X15
    95X12
    105X8
    115X8 drop 70X8

Cable Rope Pushdowns
    140X15
    160X12
    180X8 drop 120X8

~Playing a little catch up here and posting a couple days worth of workouts in one shot. I'm back to seting PRs again thankfully and this offseason is starting to really get rolling. There comes a point in time when things seem "effortless" for lack of a better term. When everything just seems to be clicking and you are liking thelook in the mirror, the strength in the gym, etc. Probably the biggest variable I have changed this offseason has been food source control. It is amazing to me how much better I just feel every day and day to day. No ups and downs, no energy then tired, just feeling really good right now is all I can say! I've got some strength goals I am really eyeing at the moment for a few lifts, so I'm anxious to see how things progress in the next few months!

I've also got a few things in the works right now that I am really excited about, but I'm not going to say anything until I know for sure (don't wanna jinx it lol), so if all goes well, I'll have some great news for anyone who follows me at all

Movie Quote Of The Day

"It all comes down to this roll. Roy Munson, a man-child, with a dream to topple bowling giant Ernie McCracken. If he strikes, he's the 1979 Odor-Eaters Champion. He's got one foot in the frying pan and one in the pressure cooker. Believe me, as a bowler, I know that right about now, your bladder feels like an overstuffed vacuum cleaner bag and your butt is kinda like an about-to-explode bratwurst."

Sporto
    •   

6. Back...No Wait...Legs!

Dynamic Stretching + Foam Rolling!

Barbell Deadlifts
    135X15 - Warmup
    225X12 - Warmup
    315X10 - Warmup
    405X8
    455X6
    495X4
    545X2
    585X1
    600X1 - PR!

Hammer Strength Linear Hack Press
    2ppsX12
    3ppsX12
    4ppsX12
    5ppsX12
    6ppsX12 - PR!

Machine Single Leg Extensions
    110X12 each leg
    120X10 each leg
    130X8 drop 70X8 each leg

Inner/Outer Thigh
    StackX20/StackX20
    StackX20/StackX20
    StackX20/StackX20

~Today was a big mental boost for me! I actually went in today thinking I was going to do back, and I was mentally preparing to give deadlifts absolutely everything I had to see where my strength was at with that particular exercise. So, I made sure that I nailed my nutrition all day, got my vitamins in, had my pre, during, and post workout nutrition ready to go, you name it. So, as soon as I closed the office down, I popped in my iPod and started getting ready.

I was going to go by feel and let my body dictate what all I was going to end up doing today. So with deadlifts, I began. I didn't really do too much with the lighter weight/warmups as I wanted to make sure I had enough juice for the heavy stuff. So I started off with some stretching, foam rolling, and started adding the plates. Once I got up to the 405 lbs. mark, I wasn't going "all out" rather I was leaving a little left in the tank so that I could see how heavy I could get up to. Low and behold, I eventually got up to 6 plates per side (by this time I had a small audience in the gym lol) and got a very smooth single rep. I think by this time, I could have definitely gotten 2 reps and possibly even 3, but I decided to stop and give an even 600 lbs a try. It was SLOW rep at the start from the bottom, but when I got to about the knees, the weight flew right up. I feel like I can't explode right off the floor with the weight because of an old injury I had where I tore my hamstring right off the glute tie in. Ever since then, I mentally can't explode from the bottom like I used to (squats, deadlifts, etc.) because there have been times when I've tweaked/aggravated it by doing so. But, finally breaking 600 lbs was a HUGE barrier for me and I am really excited that I finally did it! I didn't use a belt, but I did use versa grips straps. I would love to be able to grip the bar without them, but for those who know me, my hands are pretty small and I have stubby fingers...so without them, even though my actual grip strength is really good, I just can't grip the bar with that kind of weight without losing the grip before my lift is done.

Anyway, after the deadlifts, like I said, I was going to hit some back, but my biceps were still smoked from yesterday, so I called an audible and just decided to proceed to bash the hell out of my legs with a quad focus! I broke another barrier on the Hammer Strength Linear Hack Press where I worked all the way up to 6 plates per side, and still pounded out 12 reps out of god knows where lol. It's a very awkward setup with the support pads being at the lower back, so I haven't been able to use the kind of weight that I normally can on the normal hack squat, but today was just a day where I busted through any mental limitations I had previously put on myself

All in all, it was an awesome day!

Movie Quote Of The Day

"Pig Pen, when I want advice about a good 'Planet of the Apes' film, or maybe how to get the resin out of my bong, I'll come to you...ok? But, I am not gonna take romantic advice from somebody who cannot spell romantic or advice...or bong."

Sporto

7. Shoulders/Traps/Calves

Highlights
    DB Military Press: 100X18 - PR!
    BB Shrugs (2 second hold at top): 500X8 (3 sets)
    Machine Lateral Raises: 205X8 - PR!
    DB Reverse Incline Raises: 35X15
    Reverse Pec Deck: 190X12
    Straight Leg Calf Raises (V-Squat Machine): 7ppsX12 - Sporto Tempo
    Seated Calf Raises: 3p+25psX5 - Sporto Tempo

~Yesterday was a MUCH needed day off! I also think that's why my partner bailed on me is because he is still probably recovering lol. Hell, even my legs are still pretty inflamed, but I'm sure they will be ready to go by the time my next leg day comes around. I actually wanted to do either chest or back today, but my workout partner bailed on me, so I just went with a little shoulder, trap, and calf work. I kept the tempo going and the rest between sets pretty short and got this one done in about an hour...worked up a great sweat too! The dumbbells only go up to 100s, so I decided to see how many times I could press them for seated military presses since I didn't have a workout partner/spotter. I ended up doing it 18 times before finally failing on the 19th rep...which, a little bit of help and I could have had another solid rep, but oh well.

I had to use a belt for the Barbell Shrugs...since I squeeze and hold the weight at the top of the movement for 2 counts, it's a killer on the lower back towards the end, so as a just in case, I threw the belt on.

The rest of the workout was pretty straightforward...just kept it moving and got my work done.

Random Life Talk

My wife surprised me yesterday and drove down from Indy to spend the day, night and better part of today with me! I ended up playing hooky from work and took th wife and daughter out to eat and spent the day just out and about with the both of them. It was just the best surprise ever lol. The one bad thing about tax season is that I only see them on the weekends until the end of April, so this was a pleasant surprise to say the least. My wife even commented today at how "smitten" I am by my daughter...when actually, I am honestly smitten by the both of them! Being a daddy is one of the greatest feelings a man can get...that, and picking up 600lbs off the floor for the first time

Movie Quote Of The Day

"Now, you're telling me that you are so ingrained with white trash DNA, that your facial hair actually grows in on its own all white trashy like that?"

Sporto

8. Chest

Highlights

Barbell Incline Press: 315X7 PR!
    Machine Pec Deck Flys: 305X8 (Entire Stack) PR!
    Smith Low Incline Press (2 second pause at bottom): 325X5 drop 235X5 drop 185X5
    Low To High Cable Flys: 90X10 PR! (for this particular machine lol)

Back

Highlights

Seated Machine Lat Pulldowns: StackX10 drop 180X10 PR!
    Seated Machine Close Grip Rows: StackX12 drop 200X10 PR!
    Seated Machine Pull-Overs: 3p+25psX8 PR!
    Machine Close Grip Pull-Downs: 250X10 drop 165X10 PR!
    Hyperextensions: 125X15 PR!

~ Had an INCREDIBLE chest workout yesterday...I was able to take off of work early and head up to Indy so that I catch a workout in with some of the old workout crew. We always feed off of each other and usually push each other to new levels - this workout was no different! I'm starting to find my groove with my nutrition, training and supplementation as the personal bests just keep on coming. I think the last video I took a couple of years ago of me doing incline press was when I tried 325 for 2 reps...I pretty confident I can at least get a good solid 5 reps on my own now. 3 reps, 2 years....hey, as long as I've been training, I'll take it!

For my back workout, I learned something...I need to save the machine work until AFTER I do the Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral (plate loaded) movements or barbell movements because it appears now that when I am fresh early in the workout, I can use the entire stack the machine has to offer with relative ease. I started off with them today because I had to fly solo and wasn't sure about doing any max effort work by myself, so I decided to just do some hypertrophy/volume work today in an all out blitz. Next time I do that, I start off with Hammer Strength from now on

I actually had a "semi" rant that I was prepared to type up today for the topic section of my journal, but it started to get really lengthy, and I need to cut this short so I can get back to spending time with my wife and daughter. When I update my journal from Terre Haute again, I'll spend time typing out what I want to say, so for those interested, stay tuned - it involves the food source vs. IIFYM debate

Movie Quote Of The Day:

"Let's think about this for a sec, Ted. Why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting. Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside. You figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted? The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I've seen it a hundred times."

"But why do they put a guarantee on the box?"

"Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of sh*t. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will, I've got spare time...but for your sake, for your daughter's sake, why don't you buy a quality product from me?"

Sporto

9. Chest

Main Highlights

Barbell Incline Press: 325X5 - PR!
    Machine Pec Deck Flys: 305X10 (Entire Stack) - PR!

Back

Main Highlights

Rack Deadlifts: 675 RP 10X5X3 - PR!
    Barbell Bent Over Rows (Pendlay Style From Floor): 315X14 - PR!

~Strength is still slowly climbing, which is nice! On chest day, when I was doing incline barbell presses, I had a a 6th rep similar to the one in a video I have on youtube where I did 325 for 2 reps with some help on the second rep. So, in a couple of years, I've beenable to add ~5 reps to my incline barbell press. That may not seem like much, but hey, I'll take it! Also, on the Pendlay style barbell bent over rows, my form was much tighter than the video I have on youtube where I did 6 reps, and I still managed to more than double that effort - so the back is getting better! I thought Iwould try a rest pause on the rack deadlifts just to see, and holy geez, it is VERY difficult to regroup mentally and physically (especially with the core) to pull that off with that kind of weight. After that set, I was instantly soaked with sweat, like my body was saying "Welcome to the workout!" Anyway, I added in some hypertrophy accessory work on the pulldown side (also getting better) and I'm starting to love the Hammer Strength pull over machine! I've got an arm day scheduled with some of my big boys in Indy, so I'll see if I get the video camera out and get a shot of a PR set!

Life Happenings

So...I've got some really exciting things in the works right now that I will soon be able to announce. It finally looks like some things that I've been working hard towards are going to finally come together and come to fruition, and possibly at the same time. I'm not going to say anything just yet, but things are looking really good right now, and hopefully soon I might be able to give away a little teaser

Movie Quote Of The Day:

"The teacher asked me what was the capital of North Carolina. I said Washington, D.C. She said, "No, you're wrong." I said, "You got a lumpy butt." She got mad at me and yelled at me and I pissed in my pants and I never did change my pee-pants all day. I'm still sittin' in my dirty pee-pants."

Sporto

10. Arms

Main Highlights

Standing Barbell Curls: 135X13 - PR!

EZ Skull Crushers: 205X5 - PR!

~ Wow, what a difference it makes being back in Indy with my normal workout crew! The intensity was phenomenal and my arms are extremely heavy today! Believe it or not, I actually received a PM the other day claiming that I supposedly "make up" my numbers in my journal lol. So, I thought what better proof than a couple of videos from the workout last night! The standing barbell curls were a strong one for me yesterday. I really felt like my form was even better than the last video I took (where I got 11 reps for a PR) right before I started prep. I ended up getting 13, but the 14th rep was SO CLOSE! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get it up unless I used a whole lot more than just biceps lol. The skull crushers feltsolid as well. The form was a little sloppy for my taste, but I chalk that up to it being the first time I have ever attempted that weight before. My buddy actually started recording a rep late, so I was able to get 5 solid reps with a little help on the 6th one. I was going to lower the weight slowly, but my spotter didn't know that, so he took the weight from the top of the rep. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy the videos!

Movie Quote Of The Day:

"He’s climbin' in your windows, he’s snatchin' yo people up tryin' to rape 'em, so y’all need to hide your kids, hide your wife, and hide your husband cuz they’re rapin' err'body out here."

Sporto
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Which to believe? Quest Ultra E2 or Standard Quest E2?
    By pcgizzmo in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-04-2012, 10:28 AM
  2. Mr. Aestheticz goes IFPA pro w/ TestoPro...Let's Go!!!
    By Mr Aestheticz in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 06-03-2010, 02:41 PM
  3. Tommy Jeffers, Sporto, New IFPA Pro
    By Old Navy in forum Bodybuilding Contest Preperation
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-24-2007, 01:56 PM