Mixin' it up with 5/3/1: Strong AND Fast!

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

1. solid pulls John

2. Decent incline bench based workout today. I forget the exact numbers, but it felt good. I kept it short because we had the first half of belt testing tonight. That was a good workout as well.

3. Leg day. More karate testing tonight. New PR on squats, ch'yeah!

Warm-ups, then:
    Leg Extensions: 100/15, 100/20, 100/30
    Standing Calf Raises: 90/30x3
    Side to Side Box Jumps: 30x3

4. Karate testing went pretty well last night. Lots of cardio, so I got that in. I was awarded a blue belt, so that's pretty cool as well. Today was an optional cardio day for me, but my weight is already down and it's also my low/no carb day, not to mention I'm still fighting a cold, so I just took the day off. I'm about to go pick up another set of 45's so I can maybe max out on deadlifts Friday. I'll check back in tomorrow.

5. I went in to the gym for the first time in months today and had a fantastic workout in very little time. Started with Shoulder "Y" presses working up to 55 lb. DB's for 5 reps and did a handful of sets at that weight. Then dropped back to 35's and did 10-15 rep sets, supersetted with straight curls, shoulder flys, and tricep extensions. I also filled my rests with various ab moves. Finished in 30 minutes, hit some heavy weights, and had a crazy pump without totally exhausting myself. Huzzah!

6. BEAST MODE! Deadlift day.

Warm-Ups: Blah blah blah, whatev.
    Deads: 380/1x3 (I didn't think I'd be able to get this. I failed my first attempt, yelled and grunted a little, hit the door a few times, then came back and nailed it. NEW PR!!!)

Straight Leg Deads:135/10x3
    Hip Thrusters: 90/20x3
    Wide Grip Pull-ups (slooow): -/10x3
    DB Swings: 25/50x3

Standing Calf Raises: 90/20x3
    Cable Pulls (Total Gym): -/20x3

7. Easy day playing basketball at the gym yesterday morning, then I pretty much ruined my low-carb weekend at a church Christmas banquet. Oh well, it happens.

8. Killer workout today, beast mode is still in full effect.

Bench Press: 135/2, 185/2, 205/2, 225/1, 235/1x2
    (nice and relaxed, 2-3 min. breaks)

Then supersetted:

Push-ups: 30x3
    Chin-Ups: 15x3
    EZ Bar Curls: 65/15x5
    Lying Tri Ext. (dumbbells): 30/10x3
    Cable Flyes: Total Gym highest resistance/15x5
    Crunches: 50x3

9. Squats this morning, with assorted leg stuff.

Squats: 135/2, 185/2, 235/2, 285/1, 335/1, 385/FAIL (grrr. I over-estimated myself and went for too much. Lesson learned) 235/10, 235/10, 235/10

Standing Calf Raises:80/40x6

Leg Extensions: 100/20x3 (slow w/ squeeze at the top)

I had karate tonight and we did some push-ups, but not really a full workout by any means. I came home and did some kickboxing and plyo work on my own for about 30 minutes. Body fat is down to 7.5% according to my calipers and a seven fold test. I'm guessing that's about 2% low, but it's still progress, so I'm not complaining. I'm doing my best to keep the diet 100% in check getting the right macros at the right times so I can keep changing my body composition without losing any weight. I really like being @200 lbs.

10. 'Insanity' this morning, fasted and it's a low/no carb day for me today. I'm getting irritable already...

11. First of all, let me say that I heart carbs...

Today's strength workout was shoulders, primarily, with some other junk mixed in.

Clean & Press: 45/5, 95/5, 135/5x5
    (w/various ab moves between sets, 25 reps each)

Y Press: 30/10x4
    DB Curls: 30/15, 30/11, 30/10x2
    Shoulder Fly: 20/10x4

I'll probably do Insanity before bed. I've been having a lot of fun with it lately.

12. Deads, straight leg deads, pendlay rows, lat pull-downs, and some other junk today. It was kind of scattershot, but a good workout regardless.

13. Hit the X Factor again for some cardio as well as one set of high rep squats (250/25) and some Tabata style push-ups. I have a Christmas party to go to this afternoon, so low carb isn't happening today. If I end up overeating (which is likely) I'll probably do some cardio again tonight to clean out the extra carbs before bed.

14. Well, I overate like crazy at a family Christmas thing today, came home and popped two black cats, then went down for some cardio. 1 hour of pounding away at the X Factor, heavy bag, weighted jump rope, burpees, kettle bell...you name it, I did it. And I feel amazing. I could go another hour. I'm just afraid of what I'm going to feel like when the stims wear off...

15. Chest and biceps fried:

Flat Bench: 45/15, 135/10, 185/10, 185/6+2+2

Incline Bench: 135/12, 10x4
    Seated Incline Curl: 30/12, 35/10, 10, 9, 9
    Cable X-Over: 90/15, 12x4

Standing DB Curl: 35/10x2
    Cable X-Over: 90/10x2

Karate later tonight. Still holding at 197.2 and I'm looking forward to eating huge today. I feel like I need it.

16. Karate was cancelled due to weather, so I did some cardio at home. Lots of plank punches & pulls, burpees, punches, kicks, jump rope, etc. For some reason, I've been winging it a lot lately, but it's getting the job done.

17. I think I'm logging this for myself at this point, but that's ok...

My workout today doesn't look like much on paper, but it did me in.

Squats: 45/10, 135/10, 225/10, 275/5x3
    Standing Calf Raises: 60/35x6
    Leg Extensions: 140/15x3
    Good Mornings: 135/10x3
    Side to side jumps (over heavy bag): -/20x6
    Mini Squat Jumps: -/20x3

18. Well, I got about three hours of sleep last night due to holiday deadlines, but felt like doing something light today, so I did some medium cardio. I used the X Factor, jump rope, and did a few sets of push-ups and some shadow boxing for about 35 minutes. Broke a light sweat, but didn't get too carried away. I think it's just what I needed today.

19. Worked out with the wife today and I think she hates me a little now. Probably not a good idea on the day we're buying each other Christmas gifts...

Clean & Press: 95/5, 145/5x3
    superset w/random ab move: 50 reps

"Y" Press: 40/10,8,8
    Arnold Press: 40/4,4,5
    Lying Tricep Ext: 30/10x3
    (again, all these superset with 50 ab reps)

Shoulder Fly: 20/20x3
    Pressdown (on X Factor, "weights" aren't accurate): 210/15,12,14

20. Merry Christmas guys! Hope you have a good whatever it is you each celebrate. I had a good workout this morning. I'm still fighting a strain in my traps and shoulders, so I couldn't do deadlifts as per usual, but I did a bunch of assistance stuff and got a pretty nice pump going.

21. Hopefully everyone reading (ha!) had a great Christmas. I'm a little bit Scroogey, but had a good time anyway. I forgot to post updates, but I did cardio twice Saturday, took Sunday off, and hit the bench and related stuff yesterday.

Today was lower body:

Squats (forgot my belt): 45/15, 135/10, 185/5, 225/5x5

Leg Press: 530/15, 530/13, 530/12, 530/10
    Calf Raise (in LP sled): 530/15, 530/15, 530/12, 530/10

Hamstring Curls: 200/15, 200/15, 200/15
    Straight-leg Deads (dumbbells): 60's/15x3

Hip Thrusters: 45/20, 90/20x3
    Side to side jumps over 18" box: 20x4

And that's it for me. I'm about to hit some cardio here in a bit and try out my new heart rate monitor, but I doubt I'll type an update just for that.

22. Good cardio today using the X Factor bands with the wife:

(1 min. each; 60lb. band for me, 30 for her)
    High to low wood choppers (bands)
    High knees w/twist
    Diggers (bands, pulling through the legs like a dog digging in the dirt)
    Burpees (push-up at the bottom, jump at the top)
    Low to high wood choppers (bands)
    3 Step Heisman
    Superpunch (band, rotating from low to high punch at a 45 towards the ceiling)
    Belt kicks
    Uppercuts (bands)
    (1 min rest, then repeat for 4 total rounds)

Then we did a little yoga to cool down for 10 minutes or so. Today is supposed to be my low/no carb day, but I'm wavering...haven't cracked yet, but it's probably going to happen at some point. We're going to Red Lobster for my mom's birthday tonight, so it might be difficult to avoid carbs. If I end up endulging, I guess I'll do some more light cardio before bed.

23. I really didn't feel like another 4-5 days of intense pain in my traps, so I changed up my workout today to get rid of the heavy shoulder presses and went high rep instead. I really need to see a chiropractor.

Anyway, it was a good workout regardless. 3 sets each of:

Shoulder Press
    Shoulder Fly
    Close Grip Bench
    Tricep Pushdown
    EZ Bar Curl
    Seated Incline Curl
    Hang Clean
    Wrist Curl

in that order. Very minimal (like 15 seconds max) rests between moves, except for 1-2 minutes at the end of each circuit. Sleeves of pain...in a good way.

24. 57 minutes of cardio (including warm up and cool down) using the X Factor and body weight moves. 981 calories burnt. Ch'yeah! I love my new heart rate monitor...

25. It is said, "Thou shalt not neglect thy wheels." I believe that's in the Apocrypha...

26. 56 minutes of abs today. Take that 2011.

Weighted Decline Sit-ups: 80/10x5

(3 sets of below)
    Full Body Crunches: 25
    Hanging Leg Raises: 10
    Oblique Crunches: 25
    Kneeling Res. Band Crunches: 25
    Ski Abs: 25
    Plank: 60s.
    Side Plank: 30s/side
    Oblique Res. Band Twists: 25/side
    Russian Twists: 25 (not fast)

Then I finished it with 50 more decline sit-ups, no weights.

27. Quote Originally Posted by JohnRock View Post
    56 minutes of abs today. Take that 2011.

Weighted Decline Sit-ups: 80/10x5

(3 sets of below)
    Full Body Crunches: 25
    Hanging Leg Raises: 10
    Oblique Crunches: 25
    Kneeling Res. Band Crunches: 25
    Ski Abs: 25
    Plank: 60s.
    Side Plank: 30s/side
    Oblique Res. Band Twists: 25/side
    Russian Twists: 25 (not fast)

Then I finished it with 50 more decline sit-ups, no weights.
    Gawdamm! 57 minutes of abs lol..way to start the new year! I did a 5k with the woman at a dreadfully slow pace. Happy new year! fyi people read these logs, ha I sometimes wonder if anyone reads mine as well. Keep up the good work.

28. 56 minutes of abs...let's not get carried away.

5k? That shouldn't be a very slow race...next team leave her in the dust and apologize later.

29. By the way, in case anyone reading this bought Malicious Mass on special a few months back...I wouldn't waste your time on it. I used almost two full bottles over 6 weeks doing 4 caps/day and my results were nothing over my usual baseline. As a matter of fact, since starting my over the counter PCT of Erase, Suppress-C, and Bridge, I'm starting to see a little acne show up on the shoulders and noticing better recovery from workouts. Who'da thunk that your PCT would produce better results than a strong PH cycle? I guess that's what happens when you take a placebo.

I'll be writing more on this later, but if anyone is knowledgeable in this dept. and wants to have my remaining pills tested, I'd be happy to donate them. I'm more than a little curious what I *was* taking for 6 weeks, because I've done a four week cycle of Epistane and I'd bet money there's none of that in Malicious Mass, based on how it made me feel and the results I got on it the first (and apparently only) time.

30. "Max Interval Circuit" from Insanity, done. 60 min. even, 1016 calories burnt. I think I just made Shaun T my b*tch. I've done this workout quite a few times, but this is probably the best I've ever handled it.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Wanna get real BIG and Strong real Fast??
    By mixedup in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-19-2008, 10:26 AM
  2. How strong are you??
    By Sulsuknjrk in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 04-07-2008, 02:42 PM
  3. strong enough?
    By mase1 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-23-2007, 11:01 AM
  4. Strong and Big?? Who?