An American Warrior

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'1"  111 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.75%

Hi! Just wanted to get a message in to get subbed. Very nice reading here I enjoy following workout logs.
    smallfry@athleticxtreme.com
    http://www.facebook.com/Athleticxtreme
    Athletic Xtreme Rep

2. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

Quote Originally Posted by Mrodz View Post
    Hi! Just wanted to get a message in to get subbed. Very nice reading here I enjoy following workout logs.
    Glad you are finding this interesting
    ACSM-CPT
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

Sorry for lack of posts easter was sunday and do to **** from that really haven't had the mental energy to train. Spent time with the love of my life sunday night though and she made it a lot better but was still pretty shot. I am learning a lot about relationships from her she is absolutely amazing. We had a fight today before our classes (we pretty much have the same schedule MWF) an hour after we got out we were totally made up and being our cute selves once again. This makes me very happy. i have never once cared this much in a relationship before. I am actually very happy. This is my journal and life is part of training which is why I share this stuff. Training is about life and relationships are training as well. We learn to be a better person through them, and she is really helping me to be a better man. But enough of the cutesy stuff.

Since training is changing a bit do to Shelbys need for more cardio in the off sesason I am not going to bother posting Sundays routine but instead posting todays routine. Which is another bud jeffries (one of my idols) inspired routine with my butt crazy twists on it.

Today is: Conditioning with power and strength
    Sandbags used are from the ultimate sandbag collections. The handles are used as listed. /SS/ denotes super set

70lb sandbag Military press for 23 reps /SS/ 20x20lb kettlebell swings per side
    1 minute rest
    90lb rotating Sandbag Deadlift with handles 11 pairs /SS/ 20x20lb kettlebell swings per side
    1 minute rest
    90lb sandbag parallel handle row for 8 reps //SS// 20x20lb kettlebell swings per side
    1 minute rest
    90lb sandbag bear hug squat squat for 6 //SS// 20x20lb kettlebell swings per side
    rest 3 minutes
    Push Press with 50lb dumbell 3 each side //SS// mini band pull apart for 20 reps
    rest 1 min
    Push Press with 50lb dumbell 3 each side //SS// mini band pull apart for 20 reps
    rest 1 min
    rest 4 min
    Neck Harness (constant tension slow and controlled) 25lbs for 30 reps
    shrugs 50x10

30 rest
    Front Bridge 1:20
    Shrugs 50x6

rest 30
    back bridge + 10lbs 20 seconds
    shrug 50x4

rest 30
    head stand 1:10
    shrug 50x2
    orange band pull apart 10

Hung Gar stuff will be done later today when I am actually alive again. I have class tomorrow as well. There was no private lesson this week as he had family things to take care of. I am totally fine with that family comes first and I have a lot and I mean a lot of work to do on what was assigned to me. Lots of minor corrections that are going to take a long time. Just because I am a beginner (for the next 5 years lol) doesn't mean I am not interested in perfection.

On supplements I am running low an ancient strength and need to pick some of that up. I use it before my workouts as it is a good creatine before hand, and then i use 5 additional grams of bulk creatine first thing in the morning. A good solid 10 grams total I find works well for me. Give me the endurance in the lower rep and I can't say I really bloat but I do retain water in the right spots which gives me leverage (not to mention makes me look much better). I still have not picked up my GEAR but will be doing that soon as I want to get some constant nutrition going into my blood stream and see how much better I grow. The amino acids are great but when I used bovine serum mixed with meals I gained into a cut which says a lot.
    ACSM-CPT
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

Trained with Breanna today. She did 10 on 20 off for 10 minutes alternating shouldering the 70lb bag and chin height the 90lb bag. At 10 minutes her form broke down so bad it wasn't worth going.

Today: Super conditioning plus crazy strength

DB complex 2 Dbs 3 rounds /w 20lbs each
    Clean and press x5, Windmill (one in hand one from deadlift) x5 each, swings x5, upright row x5, row x5

rest 4 minutes

sandbag tabata 6 minutes 20on 10 off: 90lb bag shouldering and 70lb bag shouldering

4 minutes rest

200lb one arm deadlift 1 minute inbetween
    2 singles each arm

rest 3 minutes

1 arm bench press 100lbs 1 minute rest per pair
    3 singles each arm

rest 3 minutes

1 leg 1 arm deadlift (for balance imbalance corrections) 1 minute between pairs
    3 singles with 20lbs

3 min rest

swings 50lb dumbbell 1 minute between pairs
    3 singles

Die then grip...

TTK grip thumb under
    Jujitsu gi gripping (this is because in chicago a lot of people wear jackets)
    Pegasus wrist curls
    rolling thunder

this took like an hour
    ACSM-CPT
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%
    ACSM-CPT
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

Today was a crazy day.. Very Very crazy. It was my dominant strength day with a slight amount of conditioning at the end. Hung Gar stuff was done much after the general workout as my body need time to recover. Rest times as always are approximate. usually never more most often less.

2 Dumbbell Deadlift 2 minutes between sets /w a miniband around head 2 minutes between sets
    120lbs 3x3

3min rest

1 arm dumbbell row from floor dynamic style 2 minutes rest between pairs
    145x 3x3

3 minutes

1 arm strict press 2 minutes rest between pairs
    70x 3x1

2DB romanian Deadlift with mini band
    70lbs 3x5 reps

3 minutes rest

90lb bag shouldering x8 reps (was pretty tight by this point and was not able to get much power it was slow grinding shoulderings especially how much the sand flops around)

5 minute tabata: abs/squats/pushups

Abs:
    planks
    weighted situps
    v up hold for time
    leg raises
    side bends

Just picked up some ass lighting and will be trying that out to see how that gets me sparked for my crazy style training. Lets hope it brings me some good power and endurance. I could use a good preworkout. I am meaning to pick up some N2KS but I want to give this a shot as well.

A few hours later I am not as dead as I was after I did this, but I am have a gradual systematic fatigue. My goal is to be dead during workouts but to recover fast and quick with only a general fatigue about this.

The workout was pretty good. I think I can go heavier on the military. I was not sure how the previous workout would impact it. Same with the rows both were very easy. The double DB deadlift was easy but I did not feel comfortable repping it out. It is not a movement that feels clean to me. The mini band helped with speed. Next week I will do it with 2 minis following that an orange band. The Romanians felt nice a little awkward but nice. I think the big thing with them is getting the movement down right, they are much different than deadlifts from the floor to me with the DBs. The shouldering, the only reason I dont think I nailed my 20 reps is because my back is still very tight from friday and it was just slowly grinding them up. I think I can nail more next week after taking in good recovery methods.
    ACSM-CPT
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

So my conditioning is becoming super nuts I am realizing. I did this workout and during it I was dying and ready to pass out. After resting for about 3 minutes after it I was ready to go again. This lead me to think if I need to increase volume a little, I'd rather do that on conditioning days rather than increase weight. Then if need be increase weight. If not increase volume increase intensity with more density (more reps in shorter time). That is my goal. My body can really take a beating. If it wasn't for my terribly flat feet and warn down knees I would love to give it a shot and see how my body works vs a regular running race. But that just isn't going to happen any time soon. Maybe a biking adventure will be in the works soon. That could be a lot of fun. Take Bre and go for it. A lot of time has been spent outside of my place going on walks, I might take another one today. The more I turn to a spiritual outlook on life the more appreciative of nature I become more so than just my animal love. I become more in tune with everything in nature. A little hippie style, but I am really am starting to make more sense of this. Makes me think of Men who Stare at goats stuff. The spiritual warriors. Anyways got 12 more weeks of lean bulking with Shelby before start dieting down again. I am planning on hiring him for another year when time runs out. I have him for 18 more weeks on this plan. It saves me a lot of work and more time I can spend on clients and family, and my girlfriend as well.

my preworkout today was 3 grams of tyrosine and 400mgs of caffeine. Really can not wait to get my hands on some of that A$$ lightning. Wont have to take it with all that water either. My preworkout shake is more than enough already. I really do not like having to add more water to dilute the tyrosine. This is a good combo, but I am about the best combo, I never settle.

70lb sandbag military //ss// double KB swing 20lbs each
    11 / 20 (sandbag was really oddly shifted this time around)

1 min

90lb SB parallel row with handles //ss// double KB swing 20lbs
    12 / 20

1 min

90lb sb bear hug squat //ss// double KB swing 20lbs
    8 / 20

1 min

135lb good mornings SB //ss// double KB swing 20lbs
    6 / 20

Rest 3 minutes

2.5inch DB push press 52.5lbs with orange band pullaparts
    1/ss/10
    1/ss/10

Rest a few minutes

Harness 27.5lbs x30 reps
    Shrug 50lbs x10
    Rest 30
    Front bridge 1:20 sec
    Shrug 50lbs x10
    Rest 30
    Back bridge 30 second
    Shrug 50lbs x10
    Rest 30
    Headstand 1 min
    Shrug 50lbs x10

25lb 2.5in dumbbell curl 1 set of 10 reps just for injury prevention sakes
    ACSM-CPT
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

Last night I went to my hung gar lesson, and I was just not myself. My stomach was making weird noises, I figured I had gas or something, to be slightly graphic, I had no urge to release it. I was burping like crazy these nasty tasting burps. I just did not have focus and concentration and I could tell my sifu was not the happiest with me. On the way home I was struck by this excruciating pain in my stomach and I thought I had to umÖ. release waste. When I got home I was unable to do so, but spent the hour heaving and puking. I seriously hadnít been in the much pain in forever. Do to some medications I am on I am unable to use Mylanta or any form of stomach coating so I was forced to suffer. I figured maybe I had eaten some toxin and so I took in some bread and that came up as well in about 15 minutes. I thought long and hard what was new. Then I realized it I had made turkey the night before. I had some on Wed and was a little sluggish Thursday during the day, and then I had taken in the turkey immediately before class. Then I realized that was it. So yep I had food poisoning. Around 11pm last night the pain finally went down and I managed to lay down to sleep.
    I woke up at 3am in almost enough pain to have me crying. By 4 I decided I was going to go get some Mylanta regardless just so I wouldnít want to scream anymore. I managed to get pants on and socks on and collapsed a few feet in front of my bed. Realizing I was not going to make it to the store despite it literally being a 30 second car ride I called my mom. She talked to the pharmacist and told me if I went to the hospital they would mega dose me with a sugar drug??? So he told my mom to have me take in small sips of coke or sprite repeatedly for as long as I could handle. This went on for about 2 hours before I stopped wanting to cry. I fell asleep for another hour and woke up and just laid in my bed from 8 until 10 just being sure I would calm down. I felt (and still feel) very sluggish and my body is still not linking with my mind very well. At the time of writing I have taken in 2 meals and a training shake routineÖ Yes I actually made myself train. (more on that later) I am probably going to be avoiding meat for awhile. I am starting to wonder if my body just can not tolerate it anymore. I have a VERY sensitive stomach and am starting to think I may need to just back down from it. Most of my meals are shakes and egg whites anyway. I am not really concerned. Anyways on to more important things.
    Why did I train today? Here is the thingÖ. I say I train for real life. If I have to get into a combat situation my body may not be in good shape to be able to work at its best. If I end up going for a nature walk and something happens to me, I may have to drag myself home if I am out a distance away (I enjoy trail hikes) Training today was very much about mental toughness. I knew I was not in danger training zone (which I will not train through) But I will train through some major discomfort. Today was one of those days. I fatigued very fast through todayís workout and the weights felt VERY heavy. But I made it through. That is what was important to me. I also have to split it into 3 parts. Training/grip/ hung gar as I donít have the energy to do one massive session and may not even be able to do all 3. At this time I have only done my normal training. I am still hoping to be able to get all of my meals in as well.

Short Mini Band Complex:
    Pull apart over head x5 (10 second isometric last rep)
    Front pull apart x5 (10 second isometric last rep)
    Triceps push x5 each (10 second isometric last rep)
    Curl/row x5 each (10 second isometric last rep)
    Bow strand pull x5 each (10 second isometric last rep)
    2 Ĺ cycles gave out when muscle didnít have the energy heart was still good. So muscular fatigue ended this set.

70lb sandbag tabata 5 min. There was no planning involved so I just did random exercises. I did not like that. I am going to use the sandbag tabata here next week instead of shouldering, but I will be using a prewritten routine of ten exercises so that I wont have to think and will know what to set it up as. Either way my heart was pounding out of my chest pretty bad after this. After a minute of rest though my heart beat was pretty much normal and I was ready to go at it.
    By this time my stomach was starting to kill again and the bloat was really starting to suck. I am pretty darn bloated today. I could tell when I went to use my lever belt and It didnít fit. I had to go to my trusty pin belt.
    200lb one arm deadlift with a mini band around me. Got 2 singles each side with a minute rest between each rep.
    1 arm floor press 102.5lbs 3 singles each arm with a minute between pairs. This felt awkward on the rotator cuff. I need to add back in my prehab stuff.
    Swings 3 singles with 52.5lbs really easy 1 minute between pairs
    1 arm /1 leg deadlift 52.5lbs easyish for 3 singles 1 minute again.

I may or may not update with the rest of the day, I donít know at this point.
    ACSM-CPT
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

Today was day 3 with the battle of food poisoning. I thought I was out of the woods yesterday, but I ended up waking in terrible pain today to. Ended up taking more sugar drug as I cant use Mylanta as I stated. So my diet is getting a little screwed up the butt here. But anyways laid in bed from 5:45 until 8 and then slept from 8 until 10. Got up and got on with my day. By 11 I was feeling much better besides a general queasiness. Not wanting to skip another workout I decided to train at half speed today (but as that turned out that didnít happen) So I ended up training at full speed with a little more rest than normal. Hung Gar training will be done later today which is really more brutal than my weight workouts sorry to tell you all. But anyways I have that to do later and now I will just post up what I did for weights.

2DB deadlift with 1-2 minutes rest between sets
    120lbs with orange band for a single
    120lbs with orange and a mini for a single
    120lbs with strongband for 2 reps
    120lbs with strong band and mini for a single
    Going to try to rep strong and mini next week

1 Arm DB row 1-2 minutes between pairs
    150 for a single
    155 for a single
    160 for a single
    165 for a single
    170 for a single
    These were way to easy. Funny I do these with correct form to. I see most people doing like standing up movements with this when I stay pretty much parallel. Eh, who cares.

1 arm Military (cut this short today) 1-2 minutes between pairs
    2 singles with 72.5lbs

Stiff dead 2DB no belt
    75 with a mini for 5
    75 with an orange for 5

3 minutes rest

Shouldering 150lb Sandbag
    6 reps

3 minutes rest

Ab Tabata- 10 different exercises
    Plank 35 seconds
    105lbs x 10 reps side bends

Going to be getting some glutamine very soon to help meal digestion. Sound a little odd but 2 grams of extra glutamine according to John Berardi you can minimize acid by taking them in. May be doing that as I have a little of acid based foods normally. I am thinking of trying the power chew glutamine as that way I dont have to ruin shakes with bad tasting regular glutamine. thats over a 100 meals worth of glutamine for one bottle, that really isnt that bad.
    ACSM-CPT
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'1"  111 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.75%

It's great that your feeling better, I don't think I would have had the mental strength to get myself to workout. You've given me something to think about there, what would I do or how would I react in a serious situation?
    Athletic Xtreme Rep

11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

It's great that your feeling better, I don't think I would have had the mental strength to get myself to workout. You've given me something to think about there, what would I do or how would I react in a serious situation?
    I learned real fast that I needed to get myself mentally prepared. I am not sure if I posted this story. I was out with my ex girlfriend at a club one night when a guy started beating on his girlfriends car and started screaming at her. I HATE and I mean HATE domestic abuse so I walk up and I'm I say dude can I help you. He said get the f*ck outta here. I replied will do as my girlfriend called the cops. I start to walk back when some other people make the scene worse and the kid pulls out an auto batton and starts swinging it. My body had never encountered this but I started swaying with it. The kid swung its in front of him I swayed with it for some reason. Cops came kid was arrested. I talked to my sifu the next day who also does Kali and he explained my body felt for the movement and form our training knew when to strike in on the opposite swing. We have also trained with real knives just not sharpened to get our minds prepared for what could happen. I do not ever want to have to fight for my life but I want to know if I need to I can.

Another story a kid took a swing at me when I was out with friends because he was drunk. I stepped back into cat stance and blocked and just tapped his knee slightly out with my foot. Just pure instinct. Saving your life comes down to instinct and making the moves 100% ingrained in your brain.
    ACSM-CPT
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.15%

Hey man you have some pretty cool workouts on here even though I don't understand half the exercises haha. What I'm most interested in is your grip work, my grip is something I'm trying to work on. What were some of those exercises you mentioned?

Also I agree with your theory about being ready to fight/ perform, its pretty much the inspiration for my new program. I'm do a little grappling and Muay Thai a couple times a week, awesome workouts.
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

Quote Originally Posted by joelast View Post
    Hey man you have some pretty cool workouts on here even though I don't understand half the exercises haha. What I'm most interested in is your grip work, my grip is something I'm trying to work on. What were some of those exercises you mentioned?

Also I agree with your theory about being ready to fight/ perform, its pretty much the inspiration for my new program. I'm do a little grappling and Muay Thai a couple times a week, awesome workouts.
    Ask about any exercises you have questions on and I will try to get videos up for you. I see my girlfriend 2-3x a week and she will always be down for some filming. Or I could just have her do them and get some female take on it

Here is my thought on grip. Look at your hand and move it around. Pretty crazy amount of movements, right? Now remember this isometrics only work a small range of motion powerfully and the rest very small with minimal carry over. You need to train the hand through all different planes and what you are going to do. 98% of my grip work is up there 2% of it is specialized hung gar grip work (you can find it online, but I'll be honest with you it's wrong lol they change part of it to see if you learn it from a video or a teacher, and doing it the wrong way will do very minimal) That is my reason for training so many different ways.

I'll break some of them down,

The pegasus is a specialized wrist curl tool like the formulator only more comfortable. You might be able to find one on ebay. I use those for wrist curls.
    Sledge lever is going to the front and to the back from the hammer facing down at my side.
    The rotations are holding it at a bicep curl and rotating side to side.
    These movements will keep a hand straight when you are punching and keep you wrist dominant when grappling.

GI grab is with a jujistu double gi. This is because in Chicago we are jackets for a lot of the year. A jacket is similar feel to a gi. So I want to know if I have to use the jacket I wont lose grip when they twist and turn. Also it will help if I have to grab my girlfriends jacket because someone grabs on her and I need to pull her closer. What about if I have to grab a piece of fabric to hang on to something. Those are my reasons.

Thick bar is about the size of of a wrist that is hard so that is why there. The Titans telagraph key same reason dynamic power for a wrist grab. 2 fingers and thumb because as a crane fighter we mainly grab with 2 fingers and a thumb. I would rather use a foam bar for grabbing as its more human like but haven't had the time to pick on up.

Normal bar well because I am a strongman and performing strongman I need this it can also be like grabbing a finger.

Eagle loops... Hung Gar is primarily a tiger system (dont you tube it haven't found anything right on it) but we claw and we rip muscle off of bone with our grip. So we need our individual fingers strong as can be. Also it is my pet lift. i am known for my finger lifting. Eventually I will get a claw curl for finger curls.

Grippers really dont do anything for useful grip I just do them for fun every now and then, they are not important to me.

Then I have my other gripping movements for hung gar. We have jar lifting exercise and a sandbag exercises that I can not get into.

Just remember this in a life saving situation no matter what it is you are only as strong as what you can hold onto.

For me its not just combat ready but life ready.

I am certified first aid cpr standard, first aid cpr first responder, and have taken other intro response care classes, was a lifeguard certified for 3 years, and have read a ton of stuff you can't take classes on IE sewing up wounds etc etc. I like to go hiking and camping etc etc. I want to know that if me and my girlfriend are out one day to far from a rangers station than I can fix her up until I get her actual real help. I never want to be in a situation where I know I could lose someone and I could have done something.

The biggest example is a saw a guy get in a car crash and he was laying on the pavement breathing and communicating but there was nothing I could do. He gave me authority to do what ever I thought would help and I just sat there and just talked to him and watched over him ,it was all I could do. I never want that too happen again

any questions though feel free. Unless it is related to the secrets of hung gar I can answer them.
    ACSM-CPT
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

Today:
    5 minute warm up 15 minute cardio between 125BPM and 130BPM and 5 minute calf buster cool down on the bike maximum resistance.
    Gonna try getting in some long term steady state cardio that is a little different than normal.

May wanna do a cardio event one day.
    ACSM-CPT
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

Would anyone like to see some training videos today?
    ACSM-CPT
  16. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'1"  111 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.75%

Athletic Xtreme Rep

17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

Does that mean you want videos ? lol
    ACSM-CPT
  18. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.15%

Some vids would be great. I'm interested in what you do with conventional equipment, how you tweak some normal exercises. Thanks man.
  19. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'1"  111 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.75%

Quote Originally Posted by Steelwolf View Post
    Does that mean you want videos ? lol
    Yes, yes it does!
    Athletic Xtreme Rep

20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

Yes, yes it does!
    Alright. When my girlfriend gets up and can come over will do some filming hopefully. I have to take her on a walk and a picnic first. Gotta do the romance stuff Then videos will come hopefully. I need to start being more direct romantic instead of indirect romantic. I do a lot of stuff like posting about her on here and my feelings, and always talk great about her to family and friends. And at night I always look out for her and be sure she is 100% safe when we are walking at night, but as I'm learning sometimes for woman we need to be direct loving so today is a picnic and a walk at a trail. Just gotta wait till she wakes up as she got home late last night we saw Priest last night. Which is an awesome movie.
    ACSM-CPT
  21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

Whole workout
    YouTube - may 13th
    ACSM-CPT
  22. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

I am still very very sore from Fridayís training session. As most know you perform even better under pressure and I pushed that training session very heavily so my body is till trying to figure out what to do. Plus that was my first day of a real food diet as well so recovery from the food poisoning issue was still an issue. The workout was cut back a bit and the sandbag shouldering with the 150lb bag was removed for today, but I did add in DB floor press doubles which I think will be helpful. I have the single floor press, but I feel I need these doubles so when I decided to do a PL meet my bench wonít lag to far behind everything else. Took more rest time as well on these crazy strength sets.
    2DB Deadlift
    120lbs /w 1 strongband and one orange band x1
    120lbs /w 1 strongband and one orange band and 1 mini band x almost *******. This was actually more band tension than me plus the dumbbells weighed. It actually threw me off the bands because of how much force it was.
    120lbs /w 1 strongband and one orange band x2
    So a total of 5 sets

1 arm rows:
    175 for 3 singles each arm.
    These were easy and moved fast, but I donít feel it needs to be added weight yet as it wasnít as clean as Iíd have liked it.

Strict Military DB
    2 singles of 75lbs.
    These moved good but the shoulder just didnít feel as stable as I wanted it to at the top. So I didnít decide to up it on the singles. I need to find ways to drill more shoulder stability at the top of the movement as that is getting in the way of locking more weight.

Romanian Deadlift with 2DBS
    100x5
    100x5
    These were nice and crisp. I liked them very much and will be adding weight for sure next week. I think these plus the banded lifts are really gonna help me nail a good 500+ dead when I return to the school gym in August.

Floor press with DBs
    100x6

Shoulder horn and other rotator work to help stability and power.

Ab Tabata and finished here.

Later today is grip work and Hung Gar stuff.

Also use code 20%off for 20% off of **** muscle stuff. I'd jump on it
    ACSM-CPT
  23. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

Sadly my Sifu has had disappointment in our group of students. We are not progressing as fast he would like us to. He says I am still very far behind compared to where I should be. This saddens me, but I realize I need to devote much more time to this. He was devoting 2 or 3 hours a day when he was learning, which means I need to devote 2 hours to 3 a day to this to. To do this I will split up my up workouts.

Morning like today comprised of:
    Dynamic Tension
    Stances work both isometric and through the stance walks
    Chikung

In the middle of the day I did grip and hit some but crazy PR's with the grip. Which I do consider my all around grip to be one of my strongest points. Minus wide pinching do to my small hand structure.

Night
    Form work
    Blocks and bridges
    Stance dynamic movement.

This took about 2 hours of Hung Gar and 30 minutes for the grip.
    ACSM-CPT
  24. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'1"  111 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.75%

I'm sorry to read he's not happy, but at least he's giving you some serious motivation and it seems your taking it to heart and applying it. I really enjoyed the video, although I'd heard of it I'd never really seen the use of the weighted sacks. I'd say you did a good job and you seem to me to have the dedication to get to where you want to be.
  25. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

I'm sorry to read he's not happy, but at least he's giving you some serious motivation and it seems your taking it to heart and applying it. I really enjoyed the video, although I'd heard of it I'd never really seen the use of the weighted sacks. I'd say you did a good job and you seem to me to have the dedication to get to where you want to be.
    Yeah he is kinda a role model to me as well as instructor. Known him almost 3 years now and he's been there for me a lot.
    Sandbags are a fun toy, they mimic people very well to me. Lifting up breanna and moving her around actually feels very similar to a sandbag as terrible as that is. So If I ever have to move around a person I'm at an advantage. It also works well for moving other odd objects like couches or tables. It teaches you to have the off center of balance very well. I enjoy them. Strength is not my goal with them but more so conditioning.
    Dedication is my one tool that will get me going. MY dad had the great genetics but they werent all passed to me.
    ACSM-CPT
  26. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

Play time and training
    YouTube - may 17th.wmv
    ACSM-CPT
  27. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.15%

Nice Lift but whats the one side squat? is that when you hold a DB or sandbag on a shoulder and squat?

Also I was wondering if you do anything special for flexibility? I feel like its an important part of athleticism which is usually overlooked.
  28. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

Nice Lift but whats the one side squat? is that when you hold a DB or sandbag on a shoulder and squat?

Also I was wondering if you do anything special for flexibility? I feel like its an important part of athleticism which is usually overlooked.
    Sandbag over one side. The side designated is where I place it. We use that movement a lot when we are moving things I think, or at least the loading patter. May not be "correct" but I think it's awesome.

Flexibility is very important to me and I train it daily twice a day actually after both hung gar workouts. It is also getting working in my hung gar training. First time I met my sifu for class he had me try to use some of BJJ on him. He bent in weird ways and rolled out of it. Locks and manipulations did nothing. I learned very fast that day the more flexible you are the faster you're gonna get out of stuff. Chinese Chin-na from my understanding (i am still new) involves being flexible enough to roll out or gain enough time to get out of a lock.

On for the workout today.

Another day another session. This has been a very hectic day today. They are doing construction outside of my apartment on the street and have multiple times today prevented me from leaving or entering my parking lot. I have to park about a mile away at the library during the day now so I can actually use my car. I have to bring it there early in the morning as well. Definitely sucks. Training was the last thing on my mind today as well. Did not get my AM session in as I was lividly angry my car was blocked in. So I just had my regular training session today. Another shot of Ass Lighting as well tonight. Did seem to help get my mind a little more focused on training. There are also some changes. Abs will now be done every training session for one exercise. My intervals of abs on Sunday will now turn into a long term endurance of kettlebell swings to train more endurance based power in a none interval format. Weights on shrugs for neck work will be upped as the reps dropped with one super long set at the end to get more size and power out of them needed for stability. So thatís whatís new in my world. On one final note I will say I am noticing why I like the ancient strength creatine pills much more. I can take them postworkout with worrying about creatine adding the weird taste to my shakes.

1 arm complex one arm after the other 35lbs
    Snatch x3
    Squat to push press x3
    Bent over row x3
    Snatch x3
    Will be adding one rep next week instead of adding weight.

Sandbag Tabata 5min
    Lunge squat right
    Military
    Lunge squat left
    Floor Pres
    Bent over row
    Curl
    Triceps ext
    Rotating Deadlift
    Clean
    Added in the clean for deadlifts today was fun.

1 arm deadlift with standard (the tiny plates)
    220x1 230x1 240x1 EASY

1arm floor press
    105x1 both 110x1 only the right left hand was eh

Swings
    60x 3 singles each arm

Strict curl
    Hammer curl and regular 30lbs 3 reps

Rotator work
    Side bends 110x8

Neck Harnes 35x24reps
    Shrug 60x5 reps
    30 rest
    Front bridge 1:30
    Shrug 60x5 reps
    30 rest
    Back bridge 50 seconds
    Shrug 60 x3 reps
    30 rest
    Head stand 30 rest
    Shrug 60x1 rep
    30 rest
    Plate curl 10lbs x30 reps
    20lb kbs for 2 second top hold reps 20 reps
    ACSM-CPT
  29. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

Another day in the books and another day completed awesome stuff. This morning was a little rough as I didnít get home from class and pass out till around 11pm last night and had to be at work by 5am so that was a total BS fest right there. Woke up and rolled out bed pretty darn groggy. Washed my face and did the normal wake up routine, and then took down an ass lighting and got ready to do my dynamic tension set. By about 15 minutes later I was just starting to wake up a bit so I stared on that. Feeling a little bloat this morning as well from the cottage cheese I used in the pancakes. I can handle some diary but cottage cheese seems to be a no go for now. So yes did the dynamic tension and headed off to work. This was enlightened by the fact I had to go immediately home to meet with some people from the apt building as they were going to talk to the city about this construction ordeal. I ended up missing them, but they are now allowing street and lot parking so this is much better off now. Girlfriend and I got into a bad fight today right before traininÖ Through me off a bit but I took an ass lighting to help get a little more focus and did my best to plow right through it. Did a few mods today to test out new things:
    *swings became snatches
    *Weights went up for some exercises
    *daily abs as I stated before
    *rotator work was added
    *trap and neck work every session now. Did some trap work today no neck though, still a bit sore from the other day.
    *pull aparts are now followed by band pull downs.
    The first sandbag rounds were brutal with the snatches my lower back was fried by the end. The last supersets of the military and bands were more muscle fatiguing than cardio. I may add shrugs onto the end of those next time instead of there own set. Some may ask why so little leg work. Stand in a horse stance for time every day 2x a day you will understand why the leg work is not needed, then add more stancesÖ.. Thatís why. My sifu is a powerlifter so I trust his word we can back it a little down on the leg exercises.

Now on todays Land of fun:
    70lb Sand bag 18 (SB militarys) /ss/ 10 snatches a side
    70lb SB curl 8 /ss/ 10 snatches a side
    70lb SB tricep ext with handles 10 /ss/ 10 snatches a side
    150lb row parallel handles 6 /ss/ 10 snatches a side
    150 SB bear hug squat 4 /ss/ 10 snatches a side
    150 SV good morning 4 (arched back today) /ss/ 10 snatches

5 minute rest

2.5Ē DB push press 60lbs /orange pull apart/ orange pull down
    1/10/10
    1/10/10

Shoulder horn 2/0/20 10lbs x7
    Situp 25lb plate behind (since every says this is the hardest wayÖ I donít see it) 15 reps and stopped way to easy Iím gonna play with the temp a bit.
    Shrugs 60x8 slow
    ACSM-CPT
  30. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

I got kicked out of lifetime today for deadlifting 500lbs I didnt drop it but they said it makes to much noise and causes to many issues. The guy was very condescending and rude about it. When I did not drop it and was more than polite. We're not suited for your kinds were his words.
    ACSM-CPT
  31. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.15%

I got kicked out of lifetime today for deadlifting 500lbs I didnt drop it but they said it makes to much noise and causes to many issues. The guy was very condescending and rude about it. When I did not drop it and was more than polite. We're not suited for your kinds were his words.
    Wheww 500 is some serious weight, nice work.

Some things never cease to amaze me, judgmental people like that guy are a huge pet peeve of mine. Asking you to be quite is one thing but when people act superior than a complete stranger it really erkks me. Hopefully you didn't pay for an expensive membership all ready.
  32. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'1"  111 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.75%

One would think that a gym would encourage heavy lifters if just for the fact that it looks impressive when visitors come But really I don't get the guys tude, since your weren't dropping the weights. Maybe it was because you train yourself and the company provides trainers? Doesn't make sense though because you can't have trainers for every member! was he management? I don't believe there is ever cause for rudeness.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep

33. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

Wheww 500 is some serious weight, nice work.

Some things never cease to amaze me, judgmental people like that guy are a huge pet peeve of mine. Asking you to be quite is one thing but when people act superior than a complete stranger it really erkks me. Hopefully you didn't pay for an expensive membership all ready.
    As my girlfriend says he was probably just insecure with himself as not one other train said but just watched me. Last time we lifted there all I was was complimented. Just a guy who doesn't want to look bad in front of clients probably. I didnt even get into how rude it was but it was flat out insulting. As I said she wants to get a job there so I had to behave instead of bitching out the staff and the management.

One would think that a gym would encourage heavy lifters if just for the fact that it looks impressive when visitors come But really I don't get the guys tude, since your weren't dropping the weights. Maybe it was because you train yourself and the company provides trainers? Doesn't make sense though because you can't have trainers for every member! was he management? I don't believe there is ever cause for rudeness.
    I think as I stated it was his insecurity. No he was just a regular trainer, but he tried to say management says blah blah blah at me. They seem to have issues. We went to another gym after that and they said no heavy deadlifting either. This is what society is coming to, gyms were people cant lift weights.
    ACSM-CPT
  34. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

So yes getting kicked out of the gym yesterday was funny as can be. I hold no hard feelings for them at all. I am not what they are looking for that is fine. My issue was with the way the personal trainer handled the situation. After being in the used car business under my father for 8 years, and the fact I grew up in the home of one of the best salesmen in Chicago (if you knew my father you would understand) I know the sales tricks and marketing tricks people use. This trainer was talking down and being a **** the entire time. The reason I did not complain is my girlfriend is trying to get a job there and one day I may work there because I do not believe the entire chain is bad. My old coach trained at the same chain with bands and chains and no one said a work. I believe it was one insecure personal trainer and that was that. Will I be going back to that particular branch, no I will not. Will I rule out ever visiting another one or working at another branch of the chain, no I will not. One bad apple should not spoil the whole bunch. I respectfully chose to just not visit that one anymore. I feel bad people are so insecure, but that is on their head. My girlfriend once again realizes I am as strong as I say am I, and am as crazy all around strong as she sees every single week. I love my beautiful girlfriend and for her I said nothing.
    On the workout. I am moving Wednesdays workout till Tuesday to set up for when I go back to school. Yes it is a long time off, but still. Sunday and Friday will remain the same. My shoulder on my left side is still a little sore from Bre digging into when we were wrestling. I taught her how to train her grip to tear muscle off of bone and she has been doing it quite well, so as we were wrestling out of instinct she dug into my shoulder and did a number on it. Still trained yesterday with it and trained today as well. The deadlift actually did not fatigue or impair me at all. My weight has still not risen since around the 13th so Shelby once again increased my macros. Double days are really causing a lot of growth stimulus from the dynamic tension as well as the night workouts of stances and other things, and throw regular training on top of that BAM. I believe the CNS will burn out long before we take our muscles to the end. Finished my last ass lightning today and I feel kinda bad. I love those things. I will be needing to pick up another batch of them. When I get paid soon I shall. Well without further blabbering from me lets get on with the show shall we.

Morning training was dynamic tension

Night Training:

1arm DB complex one arm at a time with 35lbs
    Snatch x4
    Squat to push press x4
    Bent over row x4
    Snatch x4

Rest 3 minutes and:

Sandbag tabata:
    Right shoulder squat
    Military
    Left shoulder squat
    Floor press
    Zercher squat
    Bent over row
    Curl
    Tricep exts
    Rotating deadlift
    Cleans

Rest 5 minutes

1 arm deadlift small plated dumbbells singles

1 arm floor press
    105x1 110x1

Swings
    65 for two singles

DB Strict curl 32.5 x3
    DB Strict hammer 32.5x3
    DB Tricep ext 1 arm: 22.5 x10
    These are just light accessory

NECK! AND ABS!
    Side bend 110x10

Harness 40x25reps
    Shrug 55x5
    Rest 30
    Front bridge 1:40 seconds
    Shrug 55x5
    30 rest
    Back bridge 60 seconds
    Shrug 55x5
    30 rest
    Headstand 50seconds
    Shrug 55x2
    30 rest
    Plate curl 22 with 10lbs
    Shrug 20lb Kbs 3 second hold at top 7 reps
    Neck was a little weaker on the plate curls, but stronger on all else
    ACSM-CPT
  35. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

Just a highlight of todays events.

Jujitsu gi (towel) deadlift 105lbs for 10 reps per arm hold at top and slow decent.
    ACSM-CPT
  36. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

I am a huge animal advocate especially against chaining and animal abuse of any form. Since this journal is about life I thought I would share a first draft of a small poem I wrote on animals and abuse...

He waits
    You go off to school he follows you to the door as it closes behind
    He waits
    You head out with your friends for a game of catch as he watches you leave with the ball
    He waits
    You go off see you girlfriend with a stuffed animal for her and you donít return till the following day
    He waits
    You leave home to move and into your apartment and just pat him on the head
    He waits
    You receive a call from mom letting you know Sparky had past, as the phone hits the floor so do the tears
    They wait
    ACSM-CPT
  37. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

My knee was still a little sore today. I wonít say killer, but it was sore. This lead me to realize that I am going to need to start doing a better warm up than I was doing. I think the pain leads from jumping in way to quick. I am not planning an extensive warm up just something quick. You can see it listed coming up. My food has been increased again, I do not know whether I am happy about this or not. I am already eating a ton of stuff already and it is driving me nuts. Training just did not click today. I donít know what it was, but I just didnít feel all there. My mind wanted to quit the entire time but my body seemed to be okish to go through it. Mental funk, which can happen every so often even for me. This last week was a rough one with my regular life so I think its just beating me down. Iíll be good by the next workout Iím sure. On todayís lifts my military was lower and same with my rows. Everything else was much better. I feel this was do to the abdominal/core warm up I did, but I donít care I need it. Switched to a 40b kettlebells as well. It feels pretty light normally, but when using it for my super sets its brutal so it was only 10 reps TOTAL of swings after each set 5 an arm. Hoping to move to 10 an arm quite quickly and then on to 10 snatches an arm. It is amazing how when doing these conditioning sets how heavy a light weight can be and how easy it is otherwise. The goodmornings I usually do at the end I couldnít even pick up the bag I was gassed. Switched around my second set as well. Just one round this time, but next time Iíll move to two. Made it a military push press and a one armed side deadlift with crunches. Then finally working on some smaller body parts to bring up there strength, may be adding in shoulders to that as well. Still need to pick up some N2KS

Warm Up:
    Mini band pull down and front pull 20 each
    Close, medium, wide, and Buddhist squat 5 each
    Indian club swings with the 1lb club various movements

Warm up Part 2:
    Calf raises: 35 reps rest 30 then 18 reps
    Powerwheel pikes 5 reps superset roll outs 8 reps
    Neck bridge 1:03 seconds
    Front bridge 43 seconds

Workout:
    70lb military Press 16 /ss/ 10 40lb kb swings
    70lb SB curl 12 /ss/ 10 40lb kb swings
    70 sb tricep exts /ss/ 10 40lb kb swings
    150lb sb parallel row 4 /ss/ 10 40lb kb swings
    150 sb bear hug squat 6 /ss/ 10 40lb kb swings

Pushup 70lb 1 single each arm /ss/ 100lb DB side deadlift each arm /ss/ 30 crunches: done for 1 set

Rotator work, bicep work, tricep work, orange pull aparts
    Stretching
    ACSM-CPT
  38. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

Bre and I went out last night for my cheatmeal and to watch the fights. I ended up gaining 8lbs of water and "waste" from the meal last night. I found that funny. give me a few days Ill drop it all off. She spent the night, but I dont sleep as well when she is here so I wasn't as well rested and got up late. Love the girl though so its well worth it. But thats the conditions I'm training under, plus no preworkout to go with, but that's life. I'd rather have a not the best workout each week and get to spend the night with her.

Warm up complex:
    mini band: 20 pull downs and 20 pull arts
    Squat: 5 Buddhist squats, 5 close squats, 5 medium squats, 5 wide squats (knees popping like crazy but felt good. My sifu pops like crazy but its no big deal. Every hung gar master pops but have no joint issues.)
    Indian club 1lb upper body warm up complex.

2nd part of warm up complex
    Calf raises 2 sets 30 seconds inbetween (these were brutal as my calves were fried still from friday. I have had a hard time walking. )
    Calf top hold with 20lbs each hand did this for 25 seconds.
    Shrug top hold: 20lbs for 60 seconds
    Around the world with sandbag 70lbs 3 each side

Workout:
    2DB deadlift /w 1 strong band, 1 orange around neck, and a 20lb kettle bell hanging around neck /w belt
    120x2
    120x2
    These tied last week except this week I did 2 sets.

Stiff legged deadlifts dumbbells this week instead of romanians. Made a less drastic knee bend and really focused on the hams this week. Less range of motion, but focused more on sitting back and using the hams so the weight was dropped. Normally its a power movement for me, but I think the heavy dumbbells deads I can afford to make this an accessory, not something I would normally do on a day like this. I think it will a good decision.
    50x10
    50x10
    50x10
    no belt

Military Press STRICT one arm DB belt
    75lbs Right arm 2 Left Arm 1
    80lbs Right arm 1 and Left arm 75lbs x1
    My goal is to hit 100lbs before the contest and start repping it out.

1 Arm dumbbell row
    185x1 each
    200lbs x2 each
    Yes finally that 200lb mark. I am going to not go higher and continue to rep this out until I hit 15-20 reps on this. Then I will start increasing weight again. I want to rep this out like crazy just because. This was my milestone I wanted to hit.

Went to do floor press but i was shot in the body and couldnt even get them into place so I decided to do floor flys since no bench. I am adding these in either way after the floor press.
    20lbs for 12 rpes I stopped as this is where I wanted it.

150lb sandbag shouldering
    I got 3 reps as my body was just pffffttt at this point. Couldn't barely stand or walk from the rows.

Swings kettle bells with 40lb one.
    20 reps each arm no rest

Accessory movements:
    curls
    triceps pull parts with an orange band
    50lbs e
    ACSM-CPT
  39. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

Sorry for lack of posts had some relationship difficulties and have just been skating through the workouts. Ill be back in full swing hopefully this week.
    ACSM-CPT
  40. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.15%

Girlfriend and I are sadly broken up, but we are still seeing each other and trying to work our way through the difficulties. We may be able to save this, we shall see. Actually getting back in the swing of things training.

Went to class thursday night and my sifu knows I am a grip specialist and we played a little game of mercy. all 5 games ended in less than 5 seconds with me being the loser. I was destroyed. So I really not to make my grip much more aggressively functional. Started making some modifications with his help. I have strongman relevant grip and real strength grip.

Hammer 12lb
    Front Isometric 7 marking for 12 right and 8 left
    Back isometric: 7 markings for 30 seconds each
    The back is much stronger for me than the front. I also have a slight bend in the elbow when going this heavy.
    Front raise with a straight elbow 1 marking for 60 each
    back raise 1 marking 60 each

Front raise marking 6 for 6 reps
    rotate marking 2 for 10 reps

Thumb top TTK
    Right: 6.25lbs for 15 and left 6.25lbs x20

Grippers 20 with the trainer and 5 with the number 1 pause between each rep

Eagle loops 55 one rep for every finger but pinky. 37.5 pinky for 1 rep

Wet dumbbell
    100lbs 2x holds
    ACSM-CPT

Similar Forum Threads

1. Are You Man Enough for the Warrior Dash??
    By CopyCat in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-22-2010, 04:38 PM
  2. The American dream, The American Family
    By TexasLifter89 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-19-2009, 04:20 PM
  3. American Sports Nutrition American Whey
    By AM07 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-21-2008, 03:26 PM
  4. Peaceful Warrior