SilentBob's Journey to January

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Where to begin? It's been a while since I've had a log on here. Instead of reviving one of the older ones I figured I'd go ahead and start a new one here today.

Why a log?

To monitor my progress as I train for OCS. Hopefully I get the invite in January. A few things have to happen for me to go:

1) Weight < 186lb
This portion of the requirements has been taken care of already. Back in May when I first started this journey I was weighing in at 200lb. I'm currently 180+/- in the mornings so now it's just a matter of recomping to make this weight as solid as possible.

2) Pullups - 20 w/o coming off bar
This portion is already taken care of as well. Back in March I could do sets of 3. After achieving the 20 pullup mark I've switched to weighted pullups to aid with making 20 that much easier. I'll still test the set of 20 periodically as well to make sure I'm not falling off the wagon.

3) Situps - 100 in 2 minutes
When I first attempted the PFT in May I was able to get mid 70s in two minutes. I've never been an ab guy but after that attempt I've certainly worked hard to build up my core.

4) Running - 3 miles in ~23 minutes
When I first attempted the PFT with the other applicants I finished 3 miles in about 27:30. I've since began running every other day around my neighborhood. My current route is 2.7 miles and VERY hilly. My current time on this route is 26:30. I know that were this to be transferred to a flat 3 miles it would be closer to that 23 minute mark. If I ever get a Friday off (one coming up in 10 days,) I intend to run with the other OCS applicants at a local lake which is a relatively flat course. It should also be noted that I would REALLY like to see 3 miles in 18 minutes.

Needless to say, I have my work cut out for me. To help me achieve my goals I will be taking a few products. But before I get into that, let's go over diet.

Diet:

~2500 calories/day
Moderately Low Carbs (~100-180/day)
Moderate Protein (~180/day)
Moderate Fats (~100-150/day)

Tuna was on sale at Kroger ($0.50/can,) so it's back on the menu (Sorry Chuck.) I also eat ALOT of pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almonds, and walnuts. Occasionally I'll do fruit, bread, etc. but my main carb source is oats which I try to limit to breakfast, and occasionally pre or post workout depending on the time of day. On fattier days I eat fewer carbs, carb-ier (new word) days I eat fewer fats. Protein stays about the same every day. I do my best to keep the fats and carbs separate.

Current Supplement List:

Opti-Men - Opti-Men (180 tabs) By: Optimum Nutrition
Uni-Liver - Uni-Liver (500 tabs) By: Universal Nutrition
Dermatherm Target - DermaTherm Target (7.5oz) By: Primordial Performance
Anabolic Edge - Anabolic Edge (120 tablets) By: Palo Alto Labs
Jack3d - JACK3D (Jacked 45 servings) By: USPLabs (pre-workout)
DominATP - DominATP + FREE Refresh (500 grams) By: USPowders (pre-workout)
ECA - 1x-2x /day
Acetyl L-Carnitine & Alpha-Lipoid Acid (Pre-cardio)
Xtend - Xtend (90 servings) By: Scivation + Magnesium + Vitamin C (post-cardio)
Fish Oil
NAC - on days when I eat tuna to aid with heavy metal chelation.

I'll be sure to comment on any updates to my supplement intake.

I'll periodically post pictures as well so that I/we can visually track my progress.

Time to get this thing started. :twisted:

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Pictures Post:

All pictures will be posted in this post.

8-4

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Day 1 - 8-4-09

Back Day:

25 minutes elliptical

Pullups: 10, 7(+35lb), 6(+25lb), 5(+25lb), 7(+10lb), 10

Barbell Rows: 65x10, 95x10, 115x10, 115x8, 65x10(negatives)

Good Mornings: 45x10, 65x10, 95x10, 115x10

Lat Pulldown: 100x10, 100x10, 100x10, 100x8, 50x10(negatives)

Low Row: 90x20, 180x10, 180x8, 90x10, 90x10(negatives)

Pullups: 7, 5 (depleted :lol:)

Narrative:
Back day is done. My lats are gonna be sore tomorrow. 2nd week where I didn't do deadlifts. Gonna hit deads either on leg day or next week. I haven't decided yet.

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Damn, no invite, recruit?
:nono:

Subscribed! And you know I always have the inside word on OCS, my friend. Just ask away. ;)

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Damn, no invite, recruit?
:nono:

Subscribed! And you know I always have the inside word on OCS, my friend. Just ask away. ;)
My bad, Fin. I was just about to send you a PM. :laugh2:

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
sub-a-dub-dub - twilight zone in SB's bathroom :lol:

Got some abs happening mate - nice work :thumbsup:

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Umberto

Umberto

Awards
Im subbed
Youll enjoy the Quantico highlands, they are such a charming place and the Sgt Instructors are so nice

Now get your ass locked on, candidate!

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
subbed.... isn't that the same picture from your last log???? wait.... nope, you got some abs showing... very nice! :D

what is OCS?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
isn't that the same picture from your last log????
Well, I'm gonna do one of those video progression things on youtube over the course of the year I've had my camera....yeah not really, but it's an idea.

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I will be spending the weekend with some Operators from Russia that will be in Benning for some training over the next several weeks. I get the honor of entertaining them, which should call for some Vodka and good cigars. Can't complain about that! I am sure we will be spending a good amount of time next to the pine at the OC. Once you are complete and through, you will know what I mean.
Also, when you have the opportunity to either train at Benning or Bragg, I will make sure that you and I will meet at the pine for a pint.

On a training related note: Have you been working on the 100y/10b sprints that I went over with you several months back? What about any rucking?

EDIT: Whoa! Deju-vu! ;)

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I will be spending the weekend with some Operators from Russia that will be in Benning for some training over the next several weeks. I get the honor of entertaining them, which should call for some Vodka and good cigars. Can't complain about that! I am sure we will be spending a good amount of time next to the pine at the OC. Once you are complete and through, you will know what I mean.
Also, when you have the opportunity to either train at Benning or Bragg, I will make sure that you and I will meet at the pine for a pint.

On a training related note: Have you been working on the 100y/10b sprints that I went over with you several months back? What about any rucking?

EDIT: Whoa! Deju-vu! ;)
I'd totally be up for that, Fin. I'll buy the first round.

I haven't done that pulmonary inflation training yet. I think I'll try to devote Sunday's to that. I'm not gonna lie, it sounds f*cking awful, but it's probably one of the better things I can do for myself.

As for rucking, is that running with a pack on and boots? If that's the case then no, I have not. I suppose I can start on that as well. I have a pair of Magnums which would suffice for the boots. Can you suggest a pack and how to load it with weight? Maybe a bookbag (which I already have,) full of bags of rice or cat litter? I just have to make it weigh 45lbs, right?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
8-5-09

Dietary Totals:
2493 calories
222g protein
102g carbs (31g fiber, 11g sugar)
133g fat (78g poly, 27g mono, 25g sat)

Run:
85 degrees 80% humidity
4:36pm-5:04pm
28 minutes (f*ck!)

Narrative:
It was hot out today. I'm used to running at night when it's about 10-15 degrees cooler. Turns out that the heat of the day added about a minute and a half to my run time. Diet was fine. I've already included my final meal in the totals for today.

Manticora - Gypsies' Dance Part 2

2:45 is when the magic starts.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
Officer Candidate School
Thanks for clearing that out of the way... I'm sure I'm not alone when I tell you I had no clue what it meant :)

Is this like a physical test you need to pass before you go on further?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Is this like a physical test you need to pass before you go on further?
Nail on the head sir. Those 4 bolded items in the first post are the PFT expectations.

Wow I'm up early. Sleep well, 7.5hrs. Gonna go a little heavier on the carbs today because it's leg day mutha truckas. Oatmeal down the hatch!

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
8-6-09

Dietary Totals:
2641 calories
219g protein
151g carbs (36g fiber, 12g sugar)
129g fat (68g poly, 31g mono, 23g sat)

Legs:

Squats: 95x10, 135x10, 185x10, 205x10, 225x8

Floor Wipers: 30, 30

DL: 135x5, 185x5, 205x5, 225x5

Bodyweight Lunges: 30, 30

Narrative:
Legs left a lot to be desired. I was still kinda tight from running yesterday and I didn't want to put myself out of commission. I had to be on my feet for 9 hours afterward. I was also doing squats next to a guy doing 6 inch squats @ 265. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I was still waiting on him to do his first rep, even though he had been 'squatting' for about 15 minutes.

Diet was alright, a little on the high end but still within the range I'm going for. I ate an additional cup of oatmeal today to up my carbs for leg day.

Maiden - Run To The Hills

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
SB - Ive been kicking up the cardio too -it does effect leg day unfortunately. Taking the day off before leg day helps a little

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
8-7-09

Dietary Totals:
2652 calories
259g protein
107g carbs (30g fiber, 11g sugar)
132g fat (45g poly, 29g mono, 33g sat)

Chest:

DB Incline Bench: 20x20, 40x15, 60x10, 65x10, 70x10, 75x8

DB Incline Flies: 15x10, 20x10, 25x10, 30x6

Dips: 10, 10(+25lb), 10(+50lb), 8(+75lb), 8(+75lb), 10(+25lb), 10

Floor Wipers: 20, 20, 20, 20

Pushups: 50

Narrative: Weighted dips, I'm bringing back with the fury. I'd go heavier but the chain isn't that big and the 45lb plates would be touching the ground before I made it to the bottom. If you dig up an old log I think my max is 90lb (2 plates,) but they were like 6-inch squats because the plates would touch the floor.

Anyway, diet was good again today. With the weekend comes a little liberty on the diet. I'll probably have some pizza or brownies...maybe pizza and brownies. Either way it will be followed up with a bunch of psyllium for damage control. Say what you will, but it's been working for me so far.

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Happy Birthday Bruce!
This Eddie compilation is great!

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
8-8-09

Dietary Totals:
2814 calories
228g protein
165g carbs (39g fiber, 12g sugar)
138g fat (55g poly, 38g mono, 31g sat)

Shoulders:

Arnold Press: 20x10, 30x10, 40x10

DB Shoulder Press: 55x10, 60x10, 65x8

Face Pulls: 30x10, 35x10, 42.5x10, 50x10, 30x10

Crunches: 40, 40
SS with
Air Bike: 40, 40
SS with
Alt. Heal Touchers: 40, 40
SS With
Leg Raises: 10, 10

Plank: 50 sec
SS with
Side Bridge (L): 50 sec
SS with
Side Bridge (R): 50 sec

Bradford Press: 40x20, 50x15, 60x10, 70x10

DB Shrugs (front to back rotation): 30x10, 30x10
SS with
DB Shrugs (back to front rotation): 30x10, 30x10
SS with
DB Shrugs: 30x10, 30x10

Narrative:
Believe it or not, I was in and out in just over an hour. That includes showering and whatnot. Calories were a little high today. I didn't have any cheat meals today. I think I'll save my cheating for sometime next week when I can really enjoy it.

Jethro Tull - Locomotive Breath

No way to slow down.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
log is looking good SB, how are you dosing Anabolic Edge? I ran it earlier this year and really liked it, I got good strength increase from it, it was hell of a good deal when NP had the 2 bottles for $49

anyhow, how did you manage to get in and out in an hour? thats pretty good... you must been really focused!

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
you're a strong mofo SB - thats some solid dips/db presses right there :thumbsup:

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
log is looking good SB, how are you dosing Anabolic Edge? I ran it earlier this year and really liked it, I got good strength increase from it, it was hell of a good deal when NP had the 2 bottles for $49
I'm just dosing 2, twice a day. 2 in the am, and another 2 about 8 hours later. I bought it during that NP sale as well. I couldn't pass it up. I remember being satisfied with it last time I took it.

anyhow, how did you manage to get in and out in an hour? thats pretty good... you must been really focused!
I didn't really take too much time between sets. Oh yeah, I forgot to include a lift.

Leaning Lateral Raises(both arms :afro:): 20x10, 20x10, 20x10

you're a strong mofo SB - thats some solid dips/db presses right there :thumbsup:
Danke. I don't know if it's just me, but weighted dips seem to help keep me angled forward so that I'm activating my triceps and pecs. Either way I need to bring the DB numbers back up to where they use to be, while staying on the low end of the scale. Yes, it is frustrating.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
8-10-09

Dietary Totals:
2322 calories
215g protein
109g carbs (25g carbs, 10g sugar)
114g fat (60g poly, 28g mono, 21g sat)

Cardio:
100 degrees

100 yard PIT sprints: 5

Rucking: 2 laps; run one, walk one

Jogging 3 laps

Narrative: Exhausted. It was hot today. Legs tomorrow. I need something to pump myself up for heavy f*cking squats. Time to stop working about sets of 10 and go f*cking heavy! :twisted:

Manticora - King Of The Absurd

1:48 is when part 2 of the begins. :)

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
8-11-09

Dietary Totals:
2582 calories
243g protein
155g carbs (28g fiber, 42g sugar)
110g fat (42g poly, 16g mono, 20g sat)

Legs:

Squats: 135x10, 185x5, 225x5, 225x5, 225x5, 225x5, 225x5, 135x10(atg)

Floor Wipers: 20, 20, 20, 20, 20

DB Lunges: 30x10, 30x10

Narrative:
It was a carb heavy day. It was legs, enough said.

Evile - Armoured Assault

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
8-13-09

Dietary Totals:
2506 calories
237g protein
205g carbs (38g fiber, 25g sugar)
82g fat (22g poly, 15g mono, 18g sat)

Back:

Pullups: 20, 5(+35lb), 5(+25lb), 5(+25lb), 8(+10lb), 10

Low Row: 90x15, 140x10, 180x10, 90x10, 90x10

Barbell Row: 45x10, 65x10, 95x10, 115x10, 45x10

Crunches: 40, 40
SS with
Air Bike: 40, 40
SS with
Alt. Heal Touchers: 40, 40
SS With
Leg Raises: 10, 10

Plank: 50 sec
SS with
Side Bridge (L): 50 sec
SS with
Side Bridge (R): 50 sec

Incline DB Curls: 15x10, 30x10, 20x10

Narrative:
I should have just called today lats and abs instead of back. My hamstrings have been tight since Tuesday (hence no running yesterday or this evening like I had planned,) so I didn't want to do Deadlifts. I think it would have been a recipe for disaster.

In supplement news. I've put ECA on hold for the time being and started up a little gift basket from USPLabs. I've got some Anabolic Pump for my carb meals. I also started up Prime again. I'm gonna run Prime straight through. 6 a day, every day. And since it wouldn't be the Asteroid Stack without Powerfull, I started that up too. It will be interesting for me to see what I am able to accomplish with Prime while being calorie restricted. Maybe some additional recomping effects?

A big thank you to Jacob from USPLabs for helping me out with this.

Meshuggah - Combustion

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn i'm late, Steve. I think I subbed on another board, but not here. How dare I!! :D

You've really made some remarkable progress over the last year, buddy. Nice work!

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Damn i'm late, Steve. I think I subbed on another board, but not here. How dare I!! :D

You've really made some remarkable progress over the last year, buddy. Nice work!
Danke John, just wait until I'm done. :afro:

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
How's the road treating you, SB?
I took yesterday as a day of excess as it was the first day of my vacation. Pancakes, pizza, it was bad. I got a run in last night but I felt like I was carrying around 10lb of sh*t in my gut...which probably isn't far from the truth.

I'm torn between which pack to pickup from Ranger Joe. Decisions, decisions.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
A few extra dollars is well worth it, trust me. ;)
Does the pack come with straps or do I need the rucksack frame? I sound like such a rookie. Looks like my boys are using ILBEs instead of MOLLEs but I practice is practice. I'm not spending 600 bucks on something I'll be receiving in a few months anyway. Also final question Fin, am I to be running with this pack loaded up (45lb) or should I just work on walking in my boots with this sucker?

I saw a guy wearing a Marines PT Grey and it made me upset. He had a gut hanging down. Had be been closer to the OSS or Recruiters I'm sure a Gunny woulda (or should anyway,) run out there and give him some lip.

Well I hit chest today and I'll update later with my diet as well. It was a successful workout.

Iron Lungz

Iron Lungz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The straps come with the model that I suggested; however, many buy the frame because they have weak backs... do you have a weak back? ;)
No running, just walking at a constant pace for miles, and miles, and miles... you get the idea. I was actually in the main store this morning and looked over the model; a few upgrades than the model I have, so it has evolved to better fit the person donning it.

And don't worry about the questions, without asking you appear to know it all, and those people get called out and embarrassed on an hourly clock. So be humble and learn, that's why you're going there. Once you complete it, you can start to lead, but you have to follow first.

Does the pack come with straps or do I need the rucksack frame? I sound like such a rookie. Looks like my boys are using ILBEs instead of MOLLEs but I practice is practice. I'm not spending 600 bucks on something I'll be receiving in a few months anyway. Also final question Fin, am I to be running with this pack loaded up (45lb) or should I just work on walking in my boots with this sucker?

I saw a guy wearing a Marines PT Grey and it made me upset. He had a gut hanging down. Had be been closer to the OSS or Recruiters I'm sure a Gunny woulda (or should anyway,) run out there and give him some lip.

Well I hit chest today and I'll update later with my diet as well. It was a successful workout.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
And don't worry about the questions, without asking you appear to know it all, and those people get called out and embarrassed on an hourly clock. So be humble and learn, that's why you're going there. Once you complete it, you can start to lead, but you have to follow first.
I'll be the first person to tell you that I don't know much of anything. What you and others have told me so far have been invaluable for my preparation. I can't thank you enough.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
8-15-09

DB Incline Bench: 20x20, 40x10, 65x10, 70x10, 75x10, 80x10, 85x5

Dips: 10, 10(+25lb), 10(+50lb), 10(+75lb), 10(+75lb)

Floorwipers: 30, 20, 20, 20

Cables (High to Low): 15x10, 17.5x10, 20x10, 22.5x10

Cables (Low to High): 15x10, 15x10, 15x10

Seated Tricep Extentions: 40x10, 60x10, 70x10, 80x10, 90x10

Narrative:
Quick update, enjoying my lazy vacation so much I'm even too lazy to update. My bad. I'll have a more thorough update this evening. Short updates get short songs.

AFI - Hearts Frozen Solid, Thawed Once More By The Spring Of Rage, Despair, And Hopelessness

The title is longer than the song :lol:

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
8-17-09

Legs:

Squats: 135x10, 185x5, 225x5, 245x5, 265x5, 225x5, 225x5, 135x10(ATG)

Floor Wipers: 40, 20, 20

DB Walking Lunges: 30x20 steps, 30x20 steps, bodyweightx20 steps
SS with
Calf Raises: 225x20, 225x20, 135x20

Narrative:
Was hoping to help with a demo this afternoon at the gym, however the other party didn't show. Oh well, since I was out I bought a new pair of shoes and some socks. My shoes were getting pretty ratty. New socks are always a plus too, 3 pairs of moisture wicking socks (for running) and 3 pairs of regular socks.

Diet could have been better today, too much whey and not enough whole foods. Tomorrow is running. Gonna try and hit the 2.7mi early in the day and come back for some PIT later in the afternoon/evening. You folks better hold me accountable and give me sh*t if I update tomorrow and tell you I didn't do both. I know Iron will keep me honest. :lol:

Manticora - Intuneric II & Forever Carousel

For the first minute, close your eyes and think of the book 'Something Wicked This Way Comes.'

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
hows the plan coming along for today?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
hows the plan coming along for today?
Took care of the 2.7 bright and early. Me and fasted cardio still don't get along though. :happysad:

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
2 week update

Weight taken midday was 182lb, not bad considering it was midday.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
8-19-09

Back:

Pullups: 20, 6(+35lb), 7(+25lb), 6(+25lb), 5(+25lb), 9

Goodmornings: 45x10, 65x10, 95x10, 115x10, 45x10

Bentover BB Rows: 45x10, 65x10, 95x10, 115x10, 135x8, 95x10

Hammer Str Low Row: 90x15, 90x15, 90x15

DB Low Row: 30sx10, 40sx10, 50sx10, 60sx10, 70sx10

Pullups: 9, 6, 5

Narrative:
Well my vacation was cut short. Gotta start up again tomorrow. Not happy.

Metallica - Carpe Diem Baby

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That's a wicked looking back WO sb. Dont see folk doing GMs too much these days.

I usually superset them with SL Deads - kind of like a pre-fatigue :thumbsup:

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
cant believe its been 2 weeks already SB... but you're made noticeable changes.... got the six pack showing :fing02: keep up the good work!

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
8-21-09

Chest:

DB Incline Press: 25x15, 40x10, 65x10, 70x10, 75x10, 80x8, 50x10(negatives)

Dips: 10, 10(+25lb), 10(+50lb), 10(+75lb), 10(+75lb)

Ab Circuit:
Crunches: 40, 40, 40
SS
Heel Touchers: 40, 40, 40
SS
Invisible Bicycle: 40, 40, 40
SS
Flag Raises: 10, 10, 10

Plank: 30s, 50s (calves were trying to cramp up hardcore)
Side Plank: 60s (each side)

Cables (High to Low): 15x10, 17.5x10, 20x10, 22.5x10

Cables (Low to High): 15x10, 15x10

Burnout Pushups: 50

Narrative:
Take that Chest Day! I felt pretty big up top after my workout. In a week or two I may switch to flat bench on the DBs or perhaps move to the barbell if I can find a lifting partner. For a supplement update I'm on to my second bottle of Anabolic Edge.

Amon Amarth - Cry Of The Black Birds

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
How you finding the Anabolic Edge SB?
I'm liking it. I took it about a year ago (1 bottle,) and took advantage of the BOGO sale NP had on it a while ago. Apparently 2 bottles/months is supposed to yield better results.

Recovery Time (aside from Legs,) is noticeably lower than what it typically is. The constant running and leg workouts sometimes gives me DOMS from hell in my quads/hams. Other than the legs, everything else is responding great to AE.