GVT Fueled By Axis Labs

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I started a variation of GVT today. My goals for this routine are to be as TIME EFFICIENT as possible in the gym, without looking flabby for the summer. I hope to maintain lean mass and would love to drop 1-2% bf over the next 6 weeks.

The basic protocol I plan to follow per bodypart will follow something like this with obvious variations:

1) 1 Compound movement at 10 x 10
....1 minute break b/w sets
....break measured by 5 slow deep breathes while stretching each side of the worked muscle group
...pace at 4/0/2 as per typical GVT guidelines

2) 1 Unilateral Isolation movement at 5 x 10
....30 sec break b/w each side measured by stretching the worked side for 5 deep breathes
....pace at 3/0/2 per typical GVT guidelines

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I anticipate that supplimentation will inlcude:
Axis Slingshot
Axis SMASH Fully Loaded
Axis Creatine Ethyl Ester
Axis Clutch

Split:
Day 1: Legs/Calves
Day 2: Back/Bis/Posterior Delts
Day 3: Chest/Tris/Middle Delts

Cardio and an occasional group class will be inlcuded. I doubt that I'll have any more than the 3 structured lifting days as listed above. My schedule just flat out won't allow it for the next month or so.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've squatted, and I can't get up!

This will be a loose log (ha ha! See, I'm setting you up already ;) )... jokes, antagonizing banter, and snide remarks are encouraged :run:

LEGS

Thurs
7/2/09

Squats
10 sets of 10 with 135

Leg Extension
5 sets of 10 with 20 pounds (unilateral)

Leg Curl
5 sets of 10 with 15 pounds (unilateral)

Calf Press
5 sets of 10 with 1 plate per side (unilateral)

Hey, I'll start light, get the form down, smile at a few chics while they do straight leg deadlifts. Nice way to get back in the gym after about a 10 day layoff. OMFG! I almost puked after the 6th set of squats. I'm a total pussbag lately and needed this routine and a few Rocky montages to get me back in gear. My first impression is that this will be a productive routine :head:

Diet (I'm pretty similar every day, but just to give a day 1 example)

830am 1 scoop Clutch, 1/2 cup oats, 3 caps Axis CEE

1130am small lean pork chop, 1/2 cup pasta, 1/2 cup green beans

230pm just about the same as 1130 meal

5pm (pre) 1 scoop SMASH

615 (post) 1 scoop Clutch, 1 cup Tropicana fruit juice, 3 caps CEE

7pm 1 chicken breast, 1/2 cup rice, 1/2 mixed veg

9pm 5 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 3 slices turkey, some onion/green pepper/tomato in an omelette

11pm I try not to eat here, but who am I kidding... I bet I'll have another shake or turkey sandwhich

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Back and Bis

My legs are absolutely rocked today! I feel every step and I'm super slow to get up out of a chair LOL :D Feels good to be sore again :head:

I started today's workout with 10 sets of neutral grip pullups.
5, 5, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

I did have a workout partner so I didn't quite keep track of all my lifts. They included WG cable rows, DB rows, EZ curls with 35's per side, preachers, back extensions, and posterior delts supersetted through the whole routine (maybe 6 or 8 sets).

I plan to rework my days next week so that there's a few days b/w legs and back day. I'd like to add maybe 5 sets of DL's to the back day when I can walk again :)

Preworkout, I took 1 cap of stimmed Blue Up and 1 scoop of Slingshot. It was a nice combo.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Chest and Tris

I had a workout partner again today so that makes it difficult to get in 10x10. But I still managed 9 working sets for both chest and tris with lateral raises peppered in throughout the workout (maybe 6 or 8 sets total for that one).

BB Flat 190 x 4
DB Inlcine 60 x 10
High CCO 60 x 15

Dip Machine 2 Plates per side x 6
Lying Incline DB Tri Ext 25 x 7, 20 x 11
Rev Cable Pushdown 20 x 15

Not much to report today as this is my first time using this strategy with 3 x 5, 3 x 10, and 3 x 15 for chest and tris. I liked this combo and might see only very small variation in strategy next week, probably with a partner again. I expect my legs and back days to more strictly resemble my initial proposed GVT variation protocol this week.

Mentally, I was wiped out from 4th of July celebrations and lack of sleep. I'm not much of a partier anymore, so attempting to keep up

Supps

I dosed 1 scoop of SMASH and 750mg ALCAR preworkout. It was a nice combo, although I'm not quite sure I like the ALCAR feeling. I want to do more research and experiment more before commenting on the ALCAR.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Legs: round 2

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I nailed my GVT protocol today. I noticed that my muscles don't fatigue with 10x10 at these light weights. It's more of a mental fatigue and cardio vascular fatigue. So, it's a psychological battle for me so far, especially at like set number 7 and 8. I have to REALLY concentrate just to keep count of what set and rep number I'm on LOL

wt X reps X sets

Squats 145 x 10 x 10 (+10 lbs)
Single Leg Ext 25 x 10 x 5 (+5 lbs)
Single Leg Curl 15 x 10 x 5 (+0)
Single Calf Press 55per side x 10 x 5 (+20 lbs)

*Squats 1 min rest b/w sets
*Isolation moves 30s rest b/w sides

Preworkout supplements were 1 scoop SMASH + 5g Taurine + 750mg ALCAR. I'm still unsure about the ALCAR. I may try a higher dose, maybe 1.5g to see if effects differ. So far, I'd choose the tyrosine effect at 500mg over ALCAR at 750mg.

Also of note, I tried a sample of Drive over the weekend. Libido kicked up really fast. I was impressed that there was any response with such small doses. At the same time, bulk HGW (what we like to call icariin) is only 9.99 at NP. Just cap it up and IMO I had the exact same response.

Hoopie

Hoopie

Awards
Ahh 10x10 on squats gotta love those. Instead of a 5x10 with leg ext throw it up also to 10x10. Legs usually beg for mercy half way thru. Plus do it as a super set. Puts a new twist into things. Looking good though...

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I totally agree 100% with doing the leg ext at 10x10. I looove leg extensions and I bet the burn would be rediculous! I usually train them heavy at b/w 200 and 250 for a good slow 8-12 reps.

At the same time, I'm trying to balance out both sides with the lighter unilateral movements. I recently noticed that I tend to just slighty stagger my right foot forward with squats and deads. Over time, it's created some imbalances with medial and lateral development in my quads and hams. Therefore, I chose the unilateral movements. If I were to do 10 sets each side, it probably would turn this into another 70-80 minute routine, which is one of my problems with recent routines being too long.

Thanks for the suggestions though... I like the way you trouble shoot and modify along the way with workout shop talk :cheers:

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Back and Bis: Round 2

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Neutral Pullups 6, 6, 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4 (+8 reps)
Single DB Row 45 lbs x 10 reps x 5 sets per side
Single Seated DB Curl 15 lbs x 10 reps x 5 sets per side

Pullups are progressing nicely as compared to last week's numbers. I've never attempted this volume with pullups before so I have no idea what my personal goals will be with the 1 minute rest periods. I do know that I could get more reps on the first set. But the second set on is to failure with strict form.

I underestimated the weight to be used for DB rows and DB curls so I cut the rest periods much shorter than 30 seconds per side. I'd say they were about 15 seconds. The pump was nice by the end, but I think I sold myself short. I didn't have a chance to increase the intensity with another movement because my workout got cut short with family emergency.

Preworkout supps inlcuded 1 scoop Axis Slingshot and 1/2 tsp ALCAR. So that's 1.5g today, instead of the 750mg I had been using before with the ALCAR. IMO the 1.5g has got to be the sweet spot because I had good drive and focus through the workout despite personal stress. I really like the Slingshot/ALCAR stack for those interested in a non-stim mix.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Chest and Tris (round 1 with GVT protocol)

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Today was the first day that I convinced my weekend training partner to try out the 10x10 for chest and tris. It absolutely rocked my chest with a super light weight.

BB Flat Bench 115 x 10, 10, 9, 8, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7
DB Incline 65 x 8, 7, 5
Dip Machine 55 per side 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 9, 8, 8, 7
Single DB Incline Tri Ext 15 x 10, 8, 7
Shoulders superset
20 Minutes light cardio

Supps:
Preworkout 1 cap Stizm, 1 scoop SMASH, 1.5g ALCAR, 2.5g Taurine

I'm starting to notice changes in body composition. Weight isn't fluctuating much but my midsection is looking harder, which makes me suspect a bit of recomp is occuring. My arms are staying more vascular for a longer period of time (3-5 days) after a workout. I wouldn't expect that with a typical 3 day split.

I'm seeing more definition in my quads, although I seem to have adapted quickly. The first workout with 135 for squats just killed me. The second week's leg workout with 10 sets of 145 produced almost no muscle soreness. I'm going to continue to add 10 pounds per week, but might go a little deeper than parallel, rather than just pausing at parallel.

So far, GVT is a fun and very EFFICIENT change of pace for me. I give this strategy a thumbsup so far. I plan to make this a 4-6 week run, so we'll see if it can continue to instigate changes once my body adapts.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Legs: Round 3

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Squats 155 x 10 x 10 (+10)
Single Leg Ext 30 x 10 x 5 (+5)
Single Leg Curl 20 x 10, 10, 5 (+5)
Single Calf Press 70 per side x 10 x 5 (+30)

Squats and leg extensions gave a pretty good burn today. I almost puked during those first 2 movements, it was rough endurance wise.

I flat out failed on my third set of leg curls. There was no way my hams would tolerate not even 1 more rep... they flat out wouldn't fire at all in that third set.

Calves felt good so I decided to bump those up. They're typically a strong point for me so I would expect them to progress and adapt more quickly than the rest of my body.

Preworkout Supps
1 Scoop Slingshot, 3 caps Axis CEE, 1.5g ALCAR, 2.5g Taurine

Thoughts:
I'm pretty wiped out lately so I'm surprised I made it to the gym tonight, let alone complete this routine. I'm still liking GVT and think I'll give it 1-2 more weeks before switching things up a bit.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Back and Bis: round 3

Fri 7/17/09

Neutral Pullups 8, 7, 6, 6, 5, 4, 4, 4, 3, 4 = 51 (+9 reps)
Miscellaneous Lats
Single DB Row 50 x 10 x 5each (+5 lbs)
Miscellaneous Back
Single Seated DB Curl 20 x 10 x 5each (+5 lbs)
Miscellaneous Bis
Superset Posterior Delts / Shrugs / Back Extensions

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just a quick update:

Chest and Tris was a mish mash of a bunch of moves. I can't remember the sets or reps. But since I train with a partner for that weekend workout, GVT just isn't going to fly there.

Quads and Shoulders

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Squats 10 sets of 10 with 165 lbs (that's up 30 pounds from day 1)
Hack Squats 1 plate, 2, 3, 4, 5 x 10 reps each
BB Shoulder Press 45, 65, 85, 105, 110 x 5 each (wow, weak)
Misc Front and Middle delt work

Preworkout: 1 cap Stizm, 1 scoop SMASH

I'm very satisfied with the progress in squats and pullups. I plan to keep these moves at 10x10. However, I plan to create and alternating schedule for the rest of the bodyparts. I want my workouts to continue to be fun and utilizing my favorite moves in my favorite rep ranges should be key to keep things fresh.

I'll dabble with some ideas over the next few days and post up my plan.

Blood Pressure Update

My BP typically runs high, in the 125-135 over 80 range. Last time I checked, I was 128/80 about 1 week pre-GVT program.

I went to the doctor's yesterday for a routine check up and, no freakin joke, my BP was 110/80!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whoa! NOTHING has changed in my lifestyle except for adding in short rest periods as directed by GVT! Very unexpected turn of events.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jsmith219 Training Forum 1
Jsmith219 Training Forum 12
Training Forum 43
Hansistyle Training Forum 2
dactyl Workout Logs 12