John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is really just a log for me to see what I did this into this competition so i know what I did. Dorian yates said to keep track on what you did in a journal and it makes perfect sense, esp during pre-contest time.

Alright starting this whole thing off Ive been using homon's (thats where I got this idea from)idea of cutting than stopping for a week or two, upping calories and then cutting again. its brillant , esp if you need to lose.

Stared in Novemeber dieting went untill febuary did the anabolicminds contest

took a three week break, started back end of febuary, and went untill May the 6th did another contest

and now......of course strength is going to be down as Im already decently lean

Just took a week break for physical and mental recuperation. and Start back coming up Thuresday. During this time I eat healthy I also allow myself for cravings, within reason.

Pre-contest diet is different than the gaining mass diet or offseason diet. This is what pre-contest diet is Sweet potatoes, brown rice, lots of vegtables, broccoli, zuchinni,cabbage, spinach, kale, carrots you get the drift
protein pretty much the last month I increase fish intake fish thins the skin. I know you could say just take fish oil I take it I think good old fish is best. That doesnt mean i wont eat red meat here and there or eggs or chicken etc other protein sources.

Cardio is done in the morning low intensity for an hour. seperated by a few meals later weight training is done four days per week. Im ultilizing Dc's three way split and if pre-contest drain gets too intense I'll switch to maintance training, which in the past it has and had to switch, we will see this time.

Carb rotating- basically its a low carb days and when my body tells me its too drained of energy from the intense pre-contest phase then I'll up carbs to a moderate or even higher carb day(or higher than moderate day, then back to low for a while or higher/higher...be creative with this). Justin Harris did an execellent interview on MD forums explaining how this works.

My goal is to be onstage in Nashville competing in The Nga Night of champions heavyweight class ripped. Im going by the mirror if I have to out numbers to it the numbers would be is to lose 10-15 lbs of body-fat and gain 5-10 lbs of muscle.

and I know pre-contest it the time to hold on to the muscle you have I think its possible for me to add some muscle. Creatine works well for me and Ill be starting this either this week or the next week, this always adds about five lbs. Beta alanine is another product that works well for strength Ill be adding this when I start back training.

In addition I have given my body a full week break from any physcial exercises and also the pressure of counting calories and enjoying foods. This semi-rebound will kick start my training and I will take advantage of what rebound I have. The Intensity most likely will be higher these first weeks and dwindle down as I lose body-fat, all the cardio and deprivation Ill be putting my body though.

(Ps Im so ready for the two way split again. One thing at a time though this pre-contest prep is the first step)

Thats all I can think of for now Ill edit anything in if I do think of something to add

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Saturday- all cardio and weight training is in other log
320 protein
100 carbs
70 fat

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sunday
285 protein
150 carbs
50 fats

one thing I want to say is listen to your body. many guys follow I must do abc to get this effect. when your body is telling you to dont do cardio that day or it'll not beneifit it listen to it, on the other hand if you dont feel like and know itll help your body-thats no excuse ..get it done!.

same with nutrition if your body is in the super I called it outer spaced pre contest mode and your energy levels are so gone and your body needs a high or moderate carb day for God sake do it..just because the formula abc says not too. listen to your body. with that said the formulas are still very useful.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Body felt like it needed carbs so i listened to it
350 protein the protein farts smell my room up at night soo bad and I take acidpholuis and digestive enzymes
270 carbs
25 fat

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
285 protein
180 carbs
50 fat
on a side note taking in a ton of veggies! mushrooms, spinach, broccoli, carrots, yellow squash, zunchinni squcah, tomatoes, salads

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yep! Listen to your body. All the best. :D

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
Good luck, and keep working hard. I'm trying to learn about dieting more, so I will be following along.

mattikus

mattikus

Awards
  • Established
You know I am a big advocate of the journal! Keep at it and keep taking those enzymes! Don't wanna be scarin' off friends n' fam haha.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
305 protein
75 carbs
50 fat

Today was a cardio day and on cardio days I thought Id lower calories a bit. Tomorrow is a refeed day im not going crazy, since my bodyfat levels arn't to the point I can go all out on refeeds.

Weight is 221.8 shoes off this was on thuresday after two meals. I expect to come in at 210 lbs.

next week The plan is to continue to do... just a general outline...if I think that no cardio that day will benefit me because Im too drained or whatever I'll do what i think is best.
cardio .....weights
cardio......weights
cardio
cardio...weights
weights...
cardio

This week has been great and I see some mometum going this next week I'd like to step things up this week
carb cycling.....low carbs ..and when I think I really can benefit a higher carb day

these are just examples and not meant to be followed to the t. a low carb day I want to do might be
monday--80 carbs, tuesday 80 carbs, wednesday...80 carbs....thuresday feeling really worn out so its 250 carbs...friday 80 carbs, saturday 80 carbs...not set in stone, more of feeling how my body responds... just something I just made up on the spot just now for myself next week. I guess Ill try this out and reaccess and see how this works after the next week.
protein high esp on training days..fats about 20 %

Last edited:
John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
today nothing at all...=)
265 protein
420 carbs
60 fat
thats over 3000 k's and maybe counter-intutive for some people. Moreover, it works like a charm . Hey, might as well work on my grammar some in this thread; it was a minor in college and if you dont use it you lose it.

when I did my refeed meal I felt my metabolism go on like a furance, then went into a carb coma. I did my refeed carbs all in one meal

this week Im breaking out the spices the food is too bland and have been doing this too long and looking up spice recipes online

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Good luck man.. do you have any pics from your last show? any current pics?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good luck man.. do you have any pics from your last show? any current pics?
Yes and Thanks. These are May 6th 2009 about 7-8 weeks out, today am five weeks out and might not have any untill the show because Im too lazy today.

the last page on this link there are some pictures

Abdominals are looking good today after the small refeed. Skip just done NPC junior nationals I think and said something like he loaded two hours before the show. Im interesting in finding out why he did this.

Still got a good ten pounds to lose to be stage ready..maybe more. im just giving ballpark figure..I dont mean Ill be 210 lbs on stage ..could be 215, could be 205, time will tell.Will be whatever the scale says at the weight in the day of the show and probally stop scale a couple weeks before the show. Weight is just used to see the progress each week.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
alright > Cardio only day
300 protein
60 carbs
70 fat

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
cardio one hour lower-moderate cardio upon awaking, seperate later on ..weights.
330 protein
100 carbs
65 fat

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
weights only..energy levels were low so listened to body and upped carbs
335 protein
200 carbs
50 fat

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
cardio 40 minutes, seperated by weights
260 protein
110 carbs
60-65 fats

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Im taking a whole month off from everything to let my body heal in a couple months or even before if I must.

I went to my doctor yesterday and I have grion tendinitis and shoulder tendinitis. the groin is from the adductor machine and the shoulder dont know its inflamed..maybe a variety of things. I know this Im spending a good 10-15 minutes warming up and stretching before I even begin warmuping on with weights from now on.

My doctor gave me prednisone yesterday which heals up healing 3 x's as fast. Ill take it when I take my month long break.

315 protein
70 carbs
50 fat

I went well below bmr today and was flexing my abs today outside in the sun, they are coming in, however still a good pinch of fat to get off. seeing what I saw today raised my confidence levels.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
down three lbs this week which is perfect 2-3 pounds a week is the goal. Im really not worried about my strength and setting PRs as Im just maintaining the muscle I have while focused on being ripped and shedded onstage. Everything is on track and four weeks away!

last night got up in middle of the night and ate shredded cheese. not somethign I like to eat pre-contest as dairy tends to bloat.

275 protein
120 carbs
75 fat

I for sure got my calorie minus bmr today...

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
today
nada -relaxed
refeed day
500 carbs
50 fat
not much protein a little tip on refeeds: supplement luecine with the carb meals

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Monday(yesterday)
300 protein
200 carbs
75 fat
one hour cardio, seperated, weights(legs)

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
one hour water cardio...........................then weights

dont even know it was about like yesterday with less carbs I ate clean I didnt count. the last couple days I listened to my body by keeping carbs higher. Now I think going low carb for a few days will benefit me in losing body fat so low carbs here I come. Its taking the body offguard!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The schedule was to do cardo today; however, My body was worn out and it was better that I didnt do it. I listened to my body and reaped the rewards. ahh feels good to take a day off and let my body heal its self .
protein 320 grams
fat 80 grams
carbs zero- except the vegtables I got in which i dont count

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
250 protein weights only ..I could have done cardio today.
110 carbs
50 fat

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
235 protein cardio only today..
120 carbs
50 fat

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
my bmr is about 2,200 so Im actually aiming for 500 less than that, exercise included everyday. Im three weeks out and my goal is to just look as good as I can.
275 protein
130 carbs
65 fats

Ive switched to differenttraining so i can focus more on cardio.
goes like
chest
biceps forearms, key calve exercise
quadiceps, abdominals
shoulders triceps
hamstrings calves
Abdominals,back width, backthickness

Training is in Peak beta log.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
my bmr is about 2,200 so Im actually aiming for 500 less than that, exercise included everyday. Im three weeks out and my goal is to just look as good as I can.
275 protein
130 carbs
65 fats

Ive switched to differenttraining so i can focus more on cardio.
goes like
chest
biceps forearms, key calve exercise
quadiceps, abdominals
shoulders triceps
hamstrings calves
Abdominals,back width, backthickness

Training is in Peak beta log.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
upped cardio intensity

cardio one hour, weights
290 protein
100 carbs
50 fat

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
last night I was starving from all the cardio and everything

so I took in another 100 carbs

today
235 protein
90 carbs
50 fats
cardio 45 minutes, weights(in My Peak beta log)

Untill im done I may keep eating like this. Im two and a half weeks away and Im not going to lose much musclemass if I eat like today the rest of the time. I ate like this because appetite has been crushed today from ECa stack. hopefully itll stay this way untill the end.

If I think Im taking in too low calories with my cardio I'll up them.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
last night I was starving from all the cardio and everything

so I took in another 100 carbs

today
235 protein
90 carbs
50 fats
cardio 45 minutes, weights(in My Peak beta log)

Untill im done this contest I may keep eating like this. I know its not the highest protein...Im two and a half weeks away and Im not going to lose much musclemass if I eat like today the rest of the time(2.5 weeks). I ate like this because appetite has been crushed today from ECa stack. hopefully itll stay this way untill the end.

If I think Im taking in too low calories with my cardio I'll up them.

*note* ive been taking luecine on workout days and even non workout days I think this has helped a lot

Leucine around workouts below

something like 3-6grams with before whole meal

3-6 grams intra workout qith protein shake,dextose, creatine

3-6 grams with next meal..

timing this all around the workout had helped a lot.Luecine I recommend any serious bodybuilder gets it whether pre-contest or not.

Today got in about two gallons of water and thats the goal two gallons. Im still thisty!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
today took off
275 protein
80 carbs
30 fat

well did about a thirty minute walk

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
270 protein weights, seperated by cardio
155 carbs
55 fat

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Today is he last refeed before the refeed before the show.

200 protein..with some of the carb meals I took 5 grams luecine instead of protein
350-400 carbohydrates
50 fat
weights, then cardio lower-moderate intensity but not lower. after this refeed energy levels should go up and will put in as much as I can into cardio.

on a sidenote a couple days ago my stomach area was better than normal and muscles looked flat. If its a trade off Im going to have to lean toward with the more flat look.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
today was
cardio 45 minutes lowerto moderate, weights
270 protein
150 carbs
50 fats

drank two gallons today. I feel like im going flat already, its like a depleted feeling almost in the muscles and I had a refeed day the day before.
I dont know I can only learn from this. time for them zzzzzzz's

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
weights,seperated by low intensity cardio 40 minutes
250 protein
170 carbs
60 fat
again this isnt exactly carbs may vary by 25 fats by 10, protein by 10...all in all though an accurate calorie intake of my diet.

my muscles are fuller today. these next couple days before the refeed on tuesday and maybe wednesday I'm upping the ante on cardio.

My goal for this show is to come in best I possibly can, see where I stand with the competition, decide if I want to compete in this organization, and go from there.

I already have a list of things to do this offseason building my abs up is one of them. some days I can see cuts of my abs, and if my abs were built bigger they would stand out more. yes I still have a couple percent of bodyfat to lose and if I have more muscular abs they would be easier to see right now.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
weights, cardio
265 protein
160 carbs
50 fat
if I could do this preperation over again Id do a lot of things different. one of them is Id do cardio 2 x's per day once first thign in the morrnign and one before bed. the one before bed would be a slow walk just to burrn extra calories...and Id take in more carbs.Moreover, next time I know.

eight weeks out from this prep I took an entire week off of training and eating, I allowed myself a good bit of slack on diet, I needed the break because of injuries wearing thin, but I did not need to slurge on diet.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
weights , one hour cardio
220 protein
160 carbs
50 fat

I don't think keto diet works well for myself.(maybe I can use it for a short peroid, overall though my body seems to do better with pre-contest with less fat)

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
weights, thirty minutes cardio
250 protein
60 carbs
75 fat

these last days before the show I cut carbs in half untill the refeed...its from Dorian yates

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
weights, cardio thirty minutes
protein 250
carbs 60
fats 75
Imusing an approach by Dorian yates of cutting the carbs in half. a couple days before the carb up.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Alright today i did 30 minutes cardio
did abdominals,shoulders, triceps

250 protein
60 carbs
70-85 fat

Todays diet is 60 carbs as carbs are cut in half. I did 25 grams l-glutamine posttraining because of feeling this way and the fact that it restores glyc-something levels if you dont have carbohydrates. L-Glutamine is not something I use regularly I firmly beleive it has its place when in a severe catabolic state, immune function.

tomorrows a carb up day --Im going to take it slow...

Regarding water intake during this time its a lot of water...

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
wow last night I accidently got up during sleep and ate some pringles. Wow! all I can say is I surprised myself I started posing and I look good.

I dropped my supplements creatine, beta alanine yesterday,as I really wont be training , mainly posing. Okay time to start carb loading.

Im drinking a lot of water

my carb up consisted of
600 carbs
88 fat
over five meals
and with each meal I dosed 5 grams luecine powder except for two meals which i tok in protein powder

training I really didnt train much i went in the gym and did shrugs on the hack squat machine and some calves. i cant do dumbell shrugs right now untill shoulder heals up, yes it bothers me that bad. My body is telling me it needs a much needed break. also got in some low intensity cardio. i have been walking with my brother who is 150 lbs which the pace is im keeping up. Today I walked with a friend and fellow weightlifter and old training partner, who is 250 lbs the pace was slowed.we walked about 45 minutes. Practiced my routine some today.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would like to say especially this last week and especially few days I am taking in digestive and enzymes and acidphofilus, which I take year round generally and paying attention to waistline, how my stomach feels, and monitoring my carb intake in relation to my waist.

like right now from the carb load yesterday my stomach feels full so im taking two digestive enzymes.

On chewing gum..Chewing gum is important pre-contest as well. Im not going into the reasons write down because I have stuff to do. research it.

Ive been going by the mirror gauging carb-up.

Ive been practicing my poses and routine all day as well.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
alright today I got in about 500 carbs, 70 fat, got in some protein with every meal if I did not get in protein with carbs I supplemented with leucine powder(remember for every gram of luecine[or any amino acid for that matter] your still getting in 4 calories)

really im not worried about numbers the stress of worrying is a cortisol enhancer as it is and will keep fat around the mid-section.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
next two days normal diet

did doriann yates plan of cutting water and sodium about 24 hours from competition

note to self- no sodium if possible.

meals after water is cut-very small portions

took two gaspari's duretics(mitotropin) (dandelion or something natural like that)

morning of show pumped up posed looked fine

went out to eat with friends..note dont drink much water at all...ate a nice meal(keep the meal smaller and do not deprive yourself) night showing I was fine.

ended up third place and glad I went though this process next time it is a lot easier and it is simple. some times we as people can over do things when they are so simple.