GymRat's Workout Log

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

1. Honestly I don't see the need for it now. I'm still getting my muscle memory back. I've got 500g just chillin in my locker.
    Nutraplanet Representative
    PM me with any order questions and concerns

2. If you are hydrated enough, you won't bloat. I never bloated on creatine mono. Sodium intake has some to do with it too. Really diet in general
    •   

3. Usually, not for everyone, just everyone is different with it.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek67.htm

Information on the forms of creatine with their pros and cons.

4. I was thinking of micronized Creatine mono since everything now a days seems to be microed.

5. Yeah, micronised creatine is a tad bit more expensive but many reviews conclude it's effectiveness to be equivalent without the cons of the conventional monohydrate.

I personally don't find creatine to help me out too much, it sometimes allows me to break a plateau and gives me slightly more endurance than usual with a workout, but nothing significant like these beginners plaster around.
    •   

6. Goals before this routine is over, most likely in late August.

Bench Press: 225 lbs for 3 sets of 5
    Incline Press: 170 lbs for 2 sets of 10
    Deadlift: 275 lbs for 1 set of 5
    Squat: 225 lbs for 3 sets of 5
    Press: 135 lbs for 3 sets of 8

I always told myself, once I hit 275 on deadlifts and squats, 225 on benches, 135 on presses, and 25 reps on pullups, instead of continuing to increase the weight I would increase the reps to try a higher repetition workout scheme, for example 3 sets of 10 with 225, 275, 135, 3 sets of 10 with pullups. By that time I should be strong enough to begin bodybuilding splits and techniques.

7. It's not like me to switch cycles on the fist week, but I found a variation to a push/pull routine and I'm absolutely desperate to try it. It's a four day routine.

Day 1 - Heavy Push
    3 x 5 with flat bench
    3 x 5 with press
    3 x 5 with incline press
    3 x 5 with dips

day 3 - light pull
    3 x 10 with pullups
    3 x 10 with barbell rows
    3 x 10 with deadlifts
    3 x 10 with dumbell curls

day 4 - light push
    3 x 8 with flat bench
    3 x 8 with press
    3 x 8 with incline bench
    3 x 8 with dips

day 5 - heavy pull
    3 x 5 with pullups
    3 x 5 with barbell rows
    3 x 5 with deadlifts
    3 x 5 with chins

8. Week 1- Day 3 - Light Pull

Pullup:
    BW | 1 set | 10 reps

Deadlift:
    185 lbs | 3 sets | 10 reps

Barbell Row:
    110 lbs | 3 sets | 10 reps

Alternating Dumbell Curls:
    25 lbs | 3 sets | 10 reps

9. why did you go light? feel a little burnt out or you got light every once in a while??.....

10. Have a look at the routine above, it has a heavy push and pull day, then a light push and pull day.

11. Quote Originally Posted by GymRat7197 View Post
    Have a look at the routine above, it has a heavy push and pull day, then a light push and pull day.
    you ever looked into a 5x5 routine bill starr has one that is amazing it's pretty much what I live by you can adjust things from time to time but I always go back to the 5x5 and keep hittin those deads and DEEP squats and that plateau will be history

12. Quote Originally Posted by dmillz224 View Post
    you ever looked into a 5x5 routine bill starr has one that is amazing it's pretty much what I live by you can adjust things from time to time but I always go back to the 5x5 and keep hittin those deads and DEEP squats and that plateau will be history
    Yeah, I recommend Bill Starrs program often, I just don't like the idea of 5 x 5 unless it's weight progressing each set, 5 x 5 with the same amount of weight is too much volume that could take away from intensity.

Day 4 | Week 1 | Light Push

Flat Barbell Press:
    165 lbs | 1 set | 8 reps
    170 lbs | 1 set | 8 reps
    175 lbs | 1 set | 8 reps

Incline Barbell Press:
    135 lbs | 1 set | 8 reps
    135 lbs | 1 set | 6 reps (f)

Decline Barbell Press:
    135 lbs | 1 set | 10 reps

Hanging Leg Raises:
    BW | 1 set | 15 reps

Comments:- Need more endurance. Triceps kept causing me to fail during the incline press, decline presses are very weak and should be stronger than flat benches but I haven't done decline presses in years although they are much needed for me. I'll try to apply the principles of progressive resistance on each session for the next 3-4 weeks. Decline presses should increase significantly as I get more used to performing the push motion in a slightly upside down standpoint. Incline and decline presses need serious work, the flat benches were VERY easy.

Post workout- 1 scoop of whey, 1 banana

13. Yea the mad cow version is what I use progressive loading by 10- 15% with each set and increasing the load on the last set by at least 5 lbs a week you should check it out if u haven't already I posted my routine in my log if u wanna check it out

14. Yeah increasing the weight each set, starting with two light sets is ideal for me when going 5 total sets of 5 total reps. But if I'm going to train 4-6 reps, I want to train as heavy as possilbe, when I do my workouts with 3 x 5 I can't imagine going another 2 sets, unless of course the weight differs each set.

15. Day 5 | Week 1 | Heavy Pull & Legs

Pullup:
    +10 lbs | 3 sets | 5 reps

Barbell Row:
    125 lbs | 3 sets | 5 reps

Squat:
    135 lbs | 2 sets | 5 reps

Chins:
    BW | 3 sets | 5 reps

16. Quote Originally Posted by GymRat7197 View Post
    Day 5 | Week 1 | Heavy Pull & Legs

Pullup:
    +10 lbs | 3 sets | 5 reps

Barbell Row:
    125 lbs | 3 sets | 5 reps

Squat:
    135 lbs | 2 sets | 5 reps

Chins:
    BW | 3 sets | 5 reps
    way to little volume man. u could easy double this workout. even with the most taxing westide workouts u do
    ME movement (Lowerbody day)
    2 back accessory workouts (pulldowns,rows,Pullups etc)
    1 lower back movement
    3 sets of biceps..

and alot of ppl add a bit to that. i think u can easily add more volume.

17. It's all the volume I need, as I'm trying to master progressive resistance, which would overload muscle by constantly raising intensity, not volume.

On the contrary, this workout exhausts me because I use enough weight so that I don't have energy for countless movements. If a muscle is being overloaded, it really doesn't matter if it's via volume or intensity, as long as it's being overloaded.

18. Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    way to little volume man. u could easy double this workout. even with the most taxing westide workouts u do
    ME movement (Lowerbody day)
    2 back accessory workouts (pulldowns,rows,Pullups etc)
    1 lower back movement
    3 sets of biceps..

and alot of ppl add a bit to that. i think u can easily add more volume.
    ^
    x2

19. Quote Originally Posted by GymRat7197 View Post
    It's all the volume I need, as I'm trying to master progressive resistance, which would overload muscle by constantly raising intensity, not volume.

On the contrary, this workout exhausts me because I use enough weight so that I don't have energy for countless movements. If a muscle is being overloaded, it really doesn't matter if it's via volume or intensity, as long as it's being overloaded.
    in ur profile it says ur max squat is 235, if your doing 135 x 5 thats not over load u should be doing at least 185 x 5..

your using less bodyweight or less an every lift... i realy dont want o be rude but this workout can use alot more intensity (higher weight) or you can add alot more volume ( more movements.)

20. I'm new to squats.

The linear progression capable by beginners to movements is categorized as "progressive resistance", in which they have the ability to increase the intensity (weight) on their major compound movements. I am overloading the muscle by adding more weight and when that fails the principles of progressive overload or (adding more volume) would be applied to disallow adaption.

135 x 5 turns into a 140 x 5 with the next workout and therefore allows the muscle tissue to disambiguate to frequent training of the sake overloading the tissue by constant change of stimulus or tension to the muscle itself. While progressive resistance refers to increasing the intensity each session this advantage should be taken advantage of. Once the principles of progressive resistance fails the substantial advantage of increasing the intensity would no longer apply and therefore adding more volume as you suggested would be a suitable approach.

With this in mind, my goal is to add more weight and as long as the muscle tissue is being overloaded with an amount of weight that is capable overloading it adequate hypertrophy will be the result.

21. ^ i have no idea what alot of those words are, IMO find a workout routine and push urself if its 10 x 10 5 x 5 3 x 3 whatever it is use a challenging weight always try to increase it every workout and hit ur reps. eat up tons of protien, enough cals and carbs. u will see results..

thinking ur over thinking things. i still dont see the points of doing 3 x 5 today on 135 when u can already do 145?

i forget who said it but if u go into a workout not dreading it then you need a new routine.. when u go into the gym like damn this is about to be rough si when u see the most gains..

22. Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    ^ i have no idea what alot of those words are, IMO find a workout routine and push urself if its 10 x 10 5 x 5 3 x 3 whatever it is use a challenging weight always try to increase it every workout and hit ur reps. eat up tons of protien, enough cals and carbs. u will see results..

thinking ur over thinking things. i still dont see the points of doing 3 x 5 today on 135 when u can already do 145?

i forget who said it but if u go into a workout not dreading it then you need a new routine.. when u go into the gym like damn this is about to be rough si when u see the most gains..
    I'm not over thinking it.

The point of starting low workout is no different than car engine, I'll elaborate.

You build muscle as you go, as you progress.

If you're going uphill and begin to "plateau" in a vehicle, it wouldn't get you anywhere increasing the gears, you would DECREASE the gears back to a lower gear and build up speed to start over.

When you go to plateau in weightlifting, the same principles can apply. You would simply go back to the missing link, by decreasing the weight you re-build the muscle on an attempt to apply more weight and break the plateau.

Jumping directly into a 185 lb squat which would be difficult to me even at my prime when I have squatted in six months wouldn't make sense, starting at a low weight, practicing form and allowing my body to get used to the movement while increasing weight as I go on the other hand, would.

The weight will be increased as I go, therefore soon enough I'll be at the plateau for squats (I go until my hamstrings and calves touch), I'll most likely be able to beat it seeing I'm starting over and producing new muscle as I go in relation to just simply going back into heavy squatting and sticking at a plateau at 185 lbs for reps.

23. Quote Originally Posted by GymRat7197 View Post

The point of starting low workout is no different than car engine, I'll elaborate.

If you're going uphill and begin to "plateau" in a vehicle, it wouldn't get you anywhere increasing the gears, you would DECREASE the gears back to a lower gear and build up speed to start over.

When you go to plateau in weightlifting, the same principles can apply. You would simply go back to the missing link, by decreasing the weight you re-build the muscle on an attempt to apply more weight and break the plateau.

Jumping directly into a 185 lb squat which would be difficult to me even at my prime when I have squatted in six months wouldn't make sense, starting at a low weight, practicing form and allowing my body to get used to the movement while increasing weight as I go on the other hand, would.

The weight will be increased as I go, therefore soon enough I'll be at the plateau for squats (I go until my hamstrings and calves touch), I'll most likely be able to beat it seeing I'm starting over and producing new muscle as I go in relation to just simply going back into heavy squatting and sticking at a plateau at 185 lbs for reps.
    i really like this response! I personally have experience what gymrat is talking about.

for example:
    week 1 - bench 135x20
    week 2 - bench 185x8
    week 3 - bench 225x3
    week 4 - bench 245x1
    back to low weight
    week 1 - bench 135x30!!!!!!
    week 2 - bench 185x14
    week 3 - bench 225x6
    week 4 - bench 245x3

^
    i have broken many plateaus doing this. I am constantly getting stronger and have never hit a plateau I couldnt break thanks to that type of workout routine. Even today I gain at least 5-10lbs on my max bench every month!

24. Quote Originally Posted by GymRat7197 View Post

absolutely just make sure you increase that weight every week and you will get to where you want to be this is what I had to do recently coming back from injury hell I was starting at 135 I was doing 15 reps but as long as u increase the load you will progress before you know it you'll be doin your max now for 5 reps keep it up my man

25. Yep, I plan on increasing every single weight, for the next 2-5 weeks hopefully it will be 10 lbs increases instead of 5 lbs increases, that would take forever.

Most exercises will be a lot stronger within the next 5-6 weeks after I get back to where I left off.

26. yea man gotta build that foundation back up once you do it will be PR's every week

27. Way too sore for a workout today; didn't get to finish so instead did a lot of ab work.

Day 1 | Week 2 | Heavy Push (epic fail)

Flat Barbell Press:
    135 lbs | 1 set | 5 reps
    205 lbs | 2 sets | 5 reps

Attempted overhead presses, couldn't even get the bar 1 inch up off my upper chest.

Sit Ups:
    45 lbs | 5 sets | 10 reps

Post-workout:- whey protein shake (1 scoop), diet was crappy all week and so was the soreness. I'm extremely sore particularly in the anterior deltoids and the upper chest. Won't attempt another heavy push session until next Monday, light pull which is Thursday, will attempt progressing 5 total lbs per set in relation to last weeks workout.

28. Quote Originally Posted by buster0371 View Post
    i really like this response! I personally have experience what gymrat is talking about.

for example:
    week 1 - bench 135x20
    week 2 - bench 185x8
    week 3 - bench 225x3
    week 4 - bench 245x1
    back to low weight
    week 1 - bench 135x30!!!!!!
    week 2 - bench 185x14
    week 3 - bench 225x6
    week 4 - bench 245x3

^
    i have broken many plateaus doing this. I am constantly getting stronger and have never hit a plateau I couldnt break thanks to that type of workout routine. Even today I gain at least 5-10lbs on my max bench every month!
    I do something equivalent. Often, particularly during a cut I'll range my workout like this.

3 x 10 with 175
    3 x 10 with 180
    3 x 10 with 185
    plateau at 190

3 x 8 with 190
    3 x 8 with 195
    plateau at 200

5 x 5 with 200
    5 x 5 with 205
    5 x 5 with 210
    5 x 5 with 215
    plateau at 220

3 x 5 with 220
    3 x 5 with 225
    3 x 5 with 230
    plateau at 235

3 x 3 with 235
    3 x 3 with 240
    3 x 3 with 245
    plateau at 250

Re-start

3 x 10 with 190
    3 x 10 with 195
    3 x 10 with 200
    3 x 10 with 205

etc. etc.

It's a good way to progress.

29. nice i like that ^

30. My long-term goal is to be 5'7" 175 lbs @ around 11% bodyfat. Hopefully I'll be able to bench press 315, I feel I could get 16" defined arms and at my height they would look bigger than that anyway.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Sup bros, HEY GYMRAT from NC
    By steveono in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-11-2009, 09:47 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 07:40 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 03:13 PM