Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.94%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

^ i have no idea what alot of those words are, IMO find a workout routine and push urself if its 10 x 10 5 x 5 3 x 3 whatever it is use a challenging weight always try to increase it every workout and hit ur reps. eat up tons of protien, enough cals and carbs. u will see results..

thinking ur over thinking things. i still dont see the points of doing 3 x 5 today on 135 when u can already do 145?

i forget who said it but if u go into a workout not dreading it then you need a new routine.. when u go into the gym like damn this is about to be rough si when u see the most gains..

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.78%

Quote Originally Posted by brownstown89 View Post
    ^ i have no idea what alot of those words are, IMO find a workout routine and push urself if its 10 x 10 5 x 5 3 x 3 whatever it is use a challenging weight always try to increase it every workout and hit ur reps. eat up tons of protien, enough cals and carbs. u will see results..

thinking ur over thinking things. i still dont see the points of doing 3 x 5 today on 135 when u can already do 145?

i forget who said it but if u go into a workout not dreading it then you need a new routine.. when u go into the gym like damn this is about to be rough si when u see the most gains..
    I'm not over thinking it.

The point of starting low workout is no different than car engine, I'll elaborate.

You build muscle as you go, as you progress.

If you're going uphill and begin to "plateau" in a vehicle, it wouldn't get you anywhere increasing the gears, you would DECREASE the gears back to a lower gear and build up speed to start over.

When you go to plateau in weightlifting, the same principles can apply. You would simply go back to the missing link, by decreasing the weight you re-build the muscle on an attempt to apply more weight and break the plateau.

Jumping directly into a 185 lb squat which would be difficult to me even at my prime when I have squatted in six months wouldn't make sense, starting at a low weight, practicing form and allowing my body to get used to the movement while increasing weight as I go on the other hand, would.

The weight will be increased as I go, therefore soon enough I'll be at the plateau for squats (I go until my hamstrings and calves touch), I'll most likely be able to beat it seeing I'm starting over and producing new muscle as I go in relation to just simply going back into heavy squatting and sticking at a plateau at 185 lbs for reps.
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61%

Quote Originally Posted by GymRat7197 View Post

The point of starting low workout is no different than car engine, I'll elaborate.

If you're going uphill and begin to "plateau" in a vehicle, it wouldn't get you anywhere increasing the gears, you would DECREASE the gears back to a lower gear and build up speed to start over.

When you go to plateau in weightlifting, the same principles can apply. You would simply go back to the missing link, by decreasing the weight you re-build the muscle on an attempt to apply more weight and break the plateau.

Jumping directly into a 185 lb squat which would be difficult to me even at my prime when I have squatted in six months wouldn't make sense, starting at a low weight, practicing form and allowing my body to get used to the movement while increasing weight as I go on the other hand, would.

The weight will be increased as I go, therefore soon enough I'll be at the plateau for squats (I go until my hamstrings and calves touch), I'll most likely be able to beat it seeing I'm starting over and producing new muscle as I go in relation to just simply going back into heavy squatting and sticking at a plateau at 185 lbs for reps.
    i really like this response! I personally have experience what gymrat is talking about.

for example:
    week 1 - bench 135x20
    week 2 - bench 185x8
    week 3 - bench 225x3
    week 4 - bench 245x1
    back to low weight
    week 1 - bench 135x30!!!!!!
    week 2 - bench 185x14
    week 3 - bench 225x6
    week 4 - bench 245x3

^
    i have broken many plateaus doing this. I am constantly getting stronger and have never hit a plateau I couldnt break thanks to that type of workout routine. Even today I gain at least 5-10lbs on my max bench every month!
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.23%

absolutely just make sure you increase that weight every week and you will get to where you want to be this is what I had to do recently coming back from injury hell I was starting at 135 I was doing 15 reps but as long as u increase the load you will progress before you know it you'll be doin your max now for 5 reps keep it up my man
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.78%

Yep, I plan on increasing every single weight, for the next 2-5 weeks hopefully it will be 10 lbs increases instead of 5 lbs increases, that would take forever.

Most exercises will be a lot stronger within the next 5-6 weeks after I get back to where I left off.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.23%

yea man gotta build that foundation back up once you do it will be PR's every week
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.78%

Way too sore for a workout today; didn't get to finish so instead did a lot of ab work.

Day 1 | Week 2 | Heavy Push (epic fail)

Flat Barbell Press:
    135 lbs | 1 set | 5 reps
    205 lbs | 2 sets | 5 reps

Attempted overhead presses, couldn't even get the bar 1 inch up off my upper chest.

Sit Ups:
    45 lbs | 5 sets | 10 reps

Post-workout:- whey protein shake (1 scoop), diet was crappy all week and so was the soreness. I'm extremely sore particularly in the anterior deltoids and the upper chest. Won't attempt another heavy push session until next Monday, light pull which is Thursday, will attempt progressing 5 total lbs per set in relation to last weeks workout.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.78%

Quote Originally Posted by buster0371 View Post
    i really like this response! I personally have experience what gymrat is talking about.

for example:
    week 1 - bench 135x20
    week 2 - bench 185x8
    week 3 - bench 225x3
    week 4 - bench 245x1
    back to low weight
    week 1 - bench 135x30!!!!!!
    week 2 - bench 185x14
    week 3 - bench 225x6
    week 4 - bench 245x3

^
    i have broken many plateaus doing this. I am constantly getting stronger and have never hit a plateau I couldnt break thanks to that type of workout routine. Even today I gain at least 5-10lbs on my max bench every month!
    I do something equivalent. Often, particularly during a cut I'll range my workout like this.

3 x 10 with 175
    3 x 10 with 180
    3 x 10 with 185
    plateau at 190

3 x 8 with 190
    3 x 8 with 195
    plateau at 200

5 x 5 with 200
    5 x 5 with 205
    5 x 5 with 210
    5 x 5 with 215
    plateau at 220

3 x 5 with 220
    3 x 5 with 225
    3 x 5 with 230
    plateau at 235

3 x 3 with 235
    3 x 3 with 240
    3 x 3 with 245
    plateau at 250

Re-start

3 x 10 with 190
    3 x 10 with 195
    3 x 10 with 200
    3 x 10 with 205

etc. etc.

It's a good way to progress.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61%

nice i like that ^
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.78%

My long-term goal is to be 5'7" 175 lbs @ around 11% bodyfat. Hopefully I'll be able to bench press 315, I feel I could get 16" defined arms and at my height they would look bigger than that anyway.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  169 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61%

My long-term goal is to be 5'7" 175 lbs @ around 11% bodyfat. Hopefully I'll be able to bench press 315, I feel I could get 16" defined arms and at my height they would look bigger than that anyway.
    that is a very respectable goal! I think I have that same goal, but closer to 170lbs and 8-9% bf. Hopefully I'll be closing in on it soon....

Hey whats your take on formestane GymRat? I just started a log of CELs new Transdermal Formestane and it seems pretty crazy to say the least.... Know anything about it? Whats your oppinion?
  12. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.33%

i would honestly base ur entire workout around the squat, especially if it is a weakpoint. and for what its worth, 5x5 is an excellent routine. it got my deadlift above 500, and im only a few pounds heavier than u at the same height. you'd be how suprised how far only one working set/session will get you in a lift as far as progression. since you arnt over working it recovery is quicker and strength can be added faster. not trying to change ur ways, just in the future may want to try it. i swear by it. im on DC now... all i can say is i miss being able to move. you'd be suprised how hard the human body can be pushed
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.94%

tnubs thats very impressive DL 500 at 188... im Currently at 435 today i pulled that at 175... however it takes me forever to put on weight as i dont bulk or cut just solidly add.. im hoping to hit 185 pounds and DL 500 just like u.. however i go for a ORM max every workout if i miss it two workouts in a row i do rack pulls till for 1-2 weeks and go back to it.. ive done this for a year and from 330 to 435

Similar Forum Threads

1. Sup bros, HEY GYMRAT from NC
    By steveono in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-11-2009, 09:47 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 07:40 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 03:13 PM