GymRat's Workout Log

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

1. Quote Originally Posted by Random181 View Post
    Okay heres what I would suggest you try for a workout:
    Routine:

Day 1: Chest and Biceps
    Preacher curl DB preacher curls 1 set
    standing Barbell curl 1 set or standing DB curls (pick your favourite )
    DB bench press 1 set (elbows at 45 degrees out)
    Incline DB bench 1 set
    Flat DB flies 1 set
    No access to any dumbells at the moment, plus I'm trying to break a barbell plateau anyway. I'm wanting to do reps with 225 again.

Quote Originally Posted by Random181 View Post
    Day2:Legs, Abs
    Squats 1 straight set, 1 widowmaker
    Leg press 1 set.
    Abs exercise of your choice
    I workout at home, no access to a leg press machine.

Day3: Back, Triceps, Forearms
    Rack Deads 1 set
    1 arm row 1 set
    Wide grip pull downs 1 set
    Skull crushers 1 set
    Tricep pushdowns 1 set
    Reverse cable curls 1 set
    Can't do rack deadlifts, pullups are overall better than pulldowns seeing that involve more of the core. I have no problem with skull crushers or tricep pressdowns; however, dips involve more of the core so it's more preferred.

Day5: Shoulders, Abs
    DB Shoulder press 1 set
    Behind the neck press 1 set
    Abs exercise of your choice
    Behind the neck presses aren't my thing.

Im guessing you are a fan reasonably high volume workouts? so im guessing this will seem like not enough volume (it will to most people), just make sure the workout is god dam intense, By using only 1 set per exercise, you can ensure you give that exercise your absolute all, this makes it easy to judge how well you are doing and to ensure continual progression. This workout layout also allows you to train abs twice a week, which is always good unless you have particulaly bad recovery ability.
    I really prefer 2-4 sets of 4-6 reps personally; however, I appreciate the suggestions.

2. Quote Originally Posted by GymRat7197 View Post
    I'll read some reviews, at age 19 I feel my testosterone levels should be pretty high already. Especially after I incorporate squats and deadlifts. I just need to break this 275 plateau!!!
    Do those rack deads and the squat and widowmaker with all out intensity, you should easily brake through the plataue like it wasnt even there
    •   

3. Okay, good luck anyway

4. Quote Originally Posted by buster0371 View Post
    you should post some before pics up! by the end of this log you'll hit your goals for sure, the guys on this websight... some of them are pure genious, i could not have put on 40lbs in 4 months while staying under 10% bf if it wasnt for them!!!!
    That's what I need! 10% bodyfat! I just need more mass at the moment.

I have before / after pics, but the before pics were taken while I was 17 and the after pics while I was 18. The most recent after pic I have is the one I had displayed on my avatar. If you view my MySpace, there's a back / trap / and calf picture. There's also my display picture in which I was just relaxed in my hallway before my workout.

5. Quote Originally Posted by GymRat7197 View Post
    I'll read some reviews, at age 19 I feel my testosterone levels should be pretty high already. Especially after I incorporate squats and deadlifts. I just need to break this 275 plateau!!!
    yeah im 21 and my test levels are maxed, but DTH did do something for me for sure! probably crippling the shbg, stoping est conversion, and converting LH helped a lot with the aggression.

it probably didnt necessarilly boost my test. it just got my body using it optimally! like im sure i didnt produce any more test, i was just using it most efficient. My body is probably already maxed out on test production!
    •   

6. Purely out of interest what do you think it converted your lh to?

7. Quote Originally Posted by buster0371 View Post
    it probably didnt necessarilly boost my test. it just got my body using it optimally! like im sure i didnt produce any more test, i was just using it most efficient.
    Yeah, good point. I might run a routine which requires squatting 3 times per week, almost like a powerlifting set up to try to catch my lower body up with my upper body. Plus, it'll increase testosterone. I'm going to go with this chest / biceps, back / triceps, etc. set up at the moment though.

8. nah i mean take a picture RIGHT NOW. and that is the before pic for this log!!!!!!!!

9. Quote Originally Posted by Random181 View Post
    Okay, good luck anyway
    NP, thanks for your suggestions, I appreciate it. If you see something I may be doing wrong in my training, I welcome any suggestions from anyone that thinks they can enhance my method.

10. Quote Originally Posted by buster0371 View Post
    nah i mean take a picture RIGHT NOW. and that is the before pic for this log!!!!!!!!
    Ah, I catch your drift. I will indeed get some pictures to consider "before pictures" then compare them in around December.

11. Hey GymRat, i think your putting to much emphasis on squats and DL boosting test. It does boost test, but to my knowledge its very temporary because you body thinks its getting into a fight while you do something as intense as squats or DL so it releases test to help you through the traumatic experience!

Maybe like how some people squat heavy weight for 6 reps before sprinting. It helps out their sprint time. Maybe if you did something like that on Chest day, but i dunno. I dont think the test boost from squats is that significant. I think its an old wives-tale from coaches to convince their athletes to squat! But I could be wrong about this one!

12. Quote Originally Posted by buster0371 View Post
    Hey GymRat, i think your putting to much emphasis on squats and DL boosting test. It does boost test, but to my knowledge its very temporary because you body thinks its getting into a fight while you do something as intense as squats or DL so it releases test to help you through the traumatic experience!

Maybe like how some people squat heavy weight for 6 reps before sprinting. It helps out their sprint time. Maybe if you did something like that on Chest day, but i dunno. I dont think the test boost from squats is that significant. I think its an old wives-tale from coaches to convince their athletes to squat! But I could be wrong about this one!
    I found a scientific study a while back that stated that testosterone levels dissipate back to normal or slightly above normal levels anywhere from a few hours or a few days after squatting.

For weightlifters who train with high intensity, 3-4 days per week, we demand a constant high range of testosterone.

13. very nice. yeah i can even feel it. I took a break from lifting for about a year (i been lifting on and off since 14), and the past 5 months i've gotten back into lifting and i can feel the test levels just elevated all the time! feelin' like an alpha male HOMIE

hey put your old avi up its cooler cuz its YOU

14. Quote Originally Posted by buster0371 View Post
    very nice. yeah i can even feel it. I took a break from lifting for about a year (i been lifting on and off since 14), and the past 5 months i've gotten back into lifting and i can feel the test levels just elevated all the time! feelin' like an alpha male HOMIE

hey put your old avi up its cooler cuz its YOU
    It looked too blurry to me. I'll update the avatar with a pic of me when I put the new "before" pics up. Perhaps a back shot.

15. YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

16. Thought I'd throw this on here, it's a video filmed about five weeks ago of me bench pressing 265 pounds.

YouTube - 265 x 1; bench press

Excuse the feet in the air, I did that for a couple months to try to prevent a back arch for optimal stimulus; however, this is 265 pounds and it was filmed roughly about five weeks ago. It wasn't a 1RM, this was done early in the morning before I had breakfast and a sloppy warm up, my 1RM is around 275, give or take.

17. Quote Originally Posted by GymRat7197 View Post
    Thought I'd throw this on here, it's a video filmed about five weeks ago of me bench pressing 265 pounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL8kSpE6ea8

Excuse the feet in the air, I did that for a couple months to try to prevent a back arch for optimal stimulus; however, this is 265 pounds and it was filmed roughly about five weeks ago. It wasn't a 1RM, this was done early in the morning before I had breakfast and a sloppy warm up, my 1RM is around 275, give or take.
    hmmm, im on my weird computer so i cant see the video but ill check it out later. I thought arching the back was good for getting more weight up?

18. It is, as it decreases the length that the bar as the travel on the eccentric / concentric portions to the range of motion; however, the con of using this is it decreases the stimulus. So if you were to train for primary hypertrophy/secondary strength, the suitable approach would be keeping the back as flat as possible.

19. Day 1 | Week 1 | Back & Triceps

Pullup:
    +5 lbs | 5 sets | 5 reps of alternating hand placement, wide grip, close grip, middle grip

Barbell Row:
    115 lbs | 3 sets | 8 reps

Deadlift:
    225 lbs | 1 set | 5 reps

Dips:
    BW | 3 sets | 8 reps

Close grip bench press:
    135 lbs | 2 sets | 10 reps

20. Eat more, your diet is a little light for a young guy who wants to train heavy. Don't get caught up in trying to watch what you eat, you will be sacrificing the size and strength you should be gaining now.

21. Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    Eat more, your diet is a little light for a young guy who wants to train heavy. Don't get caught up in trying to watch what you eat, you will be sacrificing the size and strength you should be gaining now.
    I'm going to gradually increase the portions of each meal so that I'm ensured to gain weight.

22. Adding in additional information that wasn't put into the workout log previously.

Height: 5'7"
    Weight: 185 pounds
    Bodyfat: unknown, although a legitament guess would range around 21%
    Exerpience: 3 years
    Supplements: Hordex, Creatine Monohydrate, Whey Protein, Muscle Milk, Animal Pak Multi-Vitamins

Diet:
    Meal 1- Eggs, Cereal, Multi-vitamin, hordex
    Meal 2- Whey Protein Shake, 1 scoop
    Meal 3- Grilled Chicken, Brown Rice, Applesauce
    Meal 4- Whey Protein Shake, 1 scoop (post-workout), banana, creatine mixed with whey
    Meal 5- Grilled Chicken or Tuna, Veggies, Brown Rice or Pasta
    Meal 6- Muscle Milk Casein, hordex

2009 Goals:
    Bench Press: 300 pounds
    Squat: 275 pounds
    Deadlift: 355 pounds
    Weight: 190 pounds

Starting a cutting phase with p90x January 2,010.

Lifts and Statisitcs:
    Bench Press: 265 pounds; 210 for reps
    Deadlift: 300 pounds; 255 for reps
    Squat: 225 pounds; 185 for reps

Day 3 | Week 1 | Legs, Shoulders and Abdominals

Press:
    135 lbs | 3 sets | 5 reps

Squat:
    175 lbs | 3 sets | 5 reps

Sit Ups:
    +45 lbs | 3 sets | 10 reps

Leg Raises:
    BW | 1 set | 15 reps

23. Nice log so far. Looking forward to see you throw some weight up.
    Nutraplanet Representative
    PM me with any order questions and concerns

24. Quote Originally Posted by MrBigPR View Post
    Nice log so far. Looking forward to see you throw some weight up.
    Thanks. I'm hoping to increase my squat, deadlift and bench press. If those increase, I should see significant increases on other movements - my favorite being pullups .

25. Remember weight is nothing but a number. Keep solid form and the plates will add up. Good luck bro.

26. thats a big number for the deadlifts, looks like your legs need a little catching up! hows the creatine mono working for you? do you have a simple carb supplement to help it absorb better? I think complex carbs work as well for absorbtion of the creatine, but not as well.

mr big PR can you shed some light?

i just got off my creatine mono after being on it for 3 moths and I actually gained a pound!! I thought for sure I was going to lose 4-6 lbs. any idea how this is possable? I have been slacking in the gym lately too.... Maybe my body got desensitized to the creatine and it lost its effect, so when i got off it, no weight loss?....

27. Creatine can give users water weight. Depending on Diet this can be avoided. Creatine doesn't need a special mechanism to make it absorb better, a loading phase is needed to "fill" the muscle. Grape juice is the best if you believe in better absorption. 5G pre and post is optimal dosing.

Over time if your training is spot on the water volume in the muscle caused by creatine will actually fill out with new muscle fibers. I've used creatine once when i was 21 and it definately helped. Make sure you are drinking more water than usual, cramping can occur. Especially in your legs.

28. Quote Originally Posted by MrBigPR View Post
    Creatine can give users water weight. Depending on Diet this can be avoided. Creatine doesn't need a special mechanism to make it absorb better, a loading phase is needed to "fill" the muscle. Grape juice is the best if you believe in better absorption. 5G pre and post is optimal dosing.

Over time if your training is spot on the water volume in the muscle caused by creatine will actually fill out with new muscle fibers. I've used creatine once when i was 21 and it definately helped. Make sure you are drinking more water than usual, cramping can occur. Especially in your legs.
    reps, the pharmacist does it again!!!!!!

creatine is for sure one of my favorite supplements, why dont you use creatine now PR?

29. I throw the creatine in my whey protein shake. Other forms of creatine can prevent water weight, like micronised creatine and CEE.

30. i was using creatine mono. that has a lot of water weight huh?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Sup bros, HEY GYMRAT from NC
    By steveono in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-11-2009, 09:47 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 07:40 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 03:13 PM