Rodja's Training Log

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Outside of sponsored supplement logs, I haven't kept a really detailed comprehensive training log in quite some time. I've decided that it's time to fix that. Before I get on the training/diet/supplements, I want to include a personal update. I have only had a handful of MMA sessions since I was supposed to have my last fight; not due to health, but scheduling conflicts. I am looking to get back into the cage at some point in the summer, but nothing is in the works at this moment.

Split
Monday-Cardio, Upper-Vertical Flexion/Extension, Core
Tuesday-Conditioning
Wednesday-Cardio, Lower-Push/Pull, Core
Thursday-Conditioning
Friday-Cardio (maybe), Upper-Horizontal Flexion/Extension, Core

Supplements
Xtend-4 scoops post-training
SuperCarb-25 post-training
WMS-80g post-training
2nd Gear-1 cap/day
Testofen-750mg divided into morning/night
Fish Oil-10g
RPM-4 caps ~45 pre-training

Diet
A couple of quick comments; my diet is based off of 2 main principles: blood pH and minimal gluten. I try to eat only 2 sources of complex carbs which are red potatoes and basmati rice (I know I use WMS, but the PRAL is almost neutral)

Meal 1-4 eggs (2 whole, 2 whites), 6 oz turkey sausage, 10 oz red potatoes, 1 serving of fruit (either apples, pineapple, or raisins), Testofen
Meal 2-45g protein blend, 5g fish oil
Meal 3-8 oz chicken, 1 can green beans (3.5 servings produce)
Meal 4-Part 1: Xtend/SC/WMS drink; Part 2-4 eggs (2 whole, 2 whites), 6 stripes center cut bacon, 1 serving of fruit
Meal 5-2 scoops 100% ON Casein, 5g fish oil, Testofen, 2nd Gear

Macros: ~70-75g fat, 200g carbs, 215g protein (plus 15g BCAA)= ~2350 kcals

Alas, here is my secret to keeping mass up and gaining strength: balls-out cheat days of Saturday and Sunday. My breakfast is the same, but all other meals are fair game. I always hit ~200g of protein, but I am sure that I boost kcal intake to ~4500-5000 on these days. For the most part, the sources are clean and I seldom drink anymore; however, I do have a huge affinity for pizza and this is when I can no longer resist.

4/13-Cardio/Upper PF/E, Core

Fasted Morning Cardio
20 minutes (HR in 150-165 range)

Lifts
Neutral F/E
Dips/Chins-BW+45x8, 2xBW+70x6/BWx8, 2xBW+25
60 sec rest between sets; 20 secs to adjust weight on belt

Compound F/E
Wide Upright Rows-105x10, 115x10, 125x10
Seated DB Press-2x60x10 (tightness in my right delt)

Isolated F/E
Pressdowns/Hammer Curls-3x160x12/3x50x10

Core
Cross-body Trunk Rotations-3x60x12

DC Stretches

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
4/15-Lower F/E, Core
Strength

Deadlifts-365x1, 385x1, 395x1

Power
Box Jumps (30")-5x3 (15 sec rest)

Supporting Lifts
Unilateral LP-330x10, 370x8, 390x8
Reverse Lunges-3x115x6 (30 sec rest)

Core
Hypers/Hanging Leg Raises

I felt pretty good during this session. This was the first time that I have done deadlifts in quite some time, so I didn't push too hard. I am hoping that my erector strength returns quickly to roughly the level I was at during the summer (I pulled 435 in July). I am feeling slightly depleted right now, so I may tinker with my diet by adding in some more fats to meals 3&5.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
I notice you have your bachelors and NSCA.

Any chance your going to be acquiring your CSCS? I am working on mine right now. Its a lot of fun also. As far as career opportunities, its huge in that department.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Any chance your going to be acquiring your CSCS? I am working on mine right now. Its a lot of fun also. As far as career opportunities, its huge in that department.
I'm eventually going to go that route, but I am not sure when. Tentative ETA is next spring.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
4/17-Horizontal F/E, Core

Incline BP-185x3
BB Rows-315x12
DB Press-70x10, 75x8, 80x6
HS Neutral Row-3x180x10
Weighted Crunches/Facepulls-3x130x30/3x145x15

Flexibility

Morning Cardio-20 minutes ~70-80% MHR

Notes:
Right shoulder is still pretty tender, along with my lumbar. I hope that the increased core work will help to re-strengthen my lower back and the reduced volume will help to alleviate my right shoulder. These next few weeks are essentially active recovery during my PCT and to transition my body back into a power/performance oriented split.

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established

whats cscs stand for?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
4/20-Vertical F/E, Core

Dips-3xBW+45x10
Wide Pulls-3x200x10
Smith Military-3x125x10
Wide Upright Rows-115x10, 125x10, 130x10
Seated Overhead DB Ex/Seated DB Curls-2x80x10/2x45x10
Halos/Plank-3x25x12/3x30 secs

Flexibility

I planned on doing cleans and wide pull-ups today but my lower back and shoulder could not handle the force upon it. Other than that, I felt good throughout the session and had a nice pump in most of my upper body (except back). Only minor triceps soreness today and I have slightly altered my dip form to a neutral position to hit both the pecs and the triceps.

One more thing about the diet: I did my re-feed this weekend (I prefer the dirty version to the clean version) and consumed close to 5000kcals each day. My weight on Friday was down to 190, but it was back to 194 on Monday and my glycogen levels/muscle fullness was much higher.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
4/21-Condtioning

3x3-minute rds of jump rope (warm-up)

3x5-minute rds bag drills (primarily punch combinations)

20 minutes of running (~3 miles)

4/22-Lower, Core

Front Squats-185x3, 195x3, 205x3
SLDL-3x225x8
Uni LP-2x370x10, 420x8
DB Walking Lunges-3x60x12
Hanging Leg Raises/Hypers-2x15/2x15

Flexibility

My lower back is staring to finally come around and the stiffness is lessening. I have begun the corrective treatment and addressed the tightness in my right hamstring ( a consequence of the back issue). Very little discomfort throughout the session and I am regaining my full ROM I had before this nagging little bastard decided to re-appear. Not to much soreness in anything and my recovery has not been hindered by the lack of carbs or increased training.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
4/24-Horizontal F/E, Core, Cardio
BB Rows-275x12, 315x10, 335x8
Flat BP-185x5
HS Uni Reverse Low Rows-145x12, 2x155x12
HS Uni Incline Press-100x10, 110x8
Cable Crunches/Facepulls-3x145x30/3x145x15

Flexibility

Bag Drills

3x5-minute rounds

25 Thai low kicks (each leg)

Solid session for me. The hardest part was to maintain my grip on my right hand (my right thumb was bothering me) and it lessened my strength on my rows. My right shoulder felt good, but it started to get stiff as the session progressed.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
4/28- Vertical F/E

Dips-BW+45x10, 2xBW+70x8
Wide Upright Rows-115x10, 2x135x8
DB Shoulder Press-2x60x10
Wide Lat Pulls-2x200x10
Pressdowns/Hammer Curls-3x160x12/3x50x10

Flexibility

3x3 heavy bag

Decent session for me. Nothing too spectacular, but nothing horrible either. Training has been a little off this week because of finals, presentations, and research papers all being due. My weight is holding steady in the low 190's and my strength has only mildly dipped since I stopped using The One. I am seeing decent growth in my shoulders recently along with a nice overall recomp.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
4/30-Lower

Deadlifts-365x2, 385x1, 395x1
Front Squats*-3x135x3
Reverse Lunges-100x6, 2x120x6
Uni LP-370x10, 2x420x8

Flexibility

I am taking it slow and easing myself back into to deadlifts so I don't strain my lower back and effectively re-strengthen the area. On the front squats, I put the rack to the lowest setting to where the bar slightly rests at the bottom of the motion (e.g. ATG position with bar resting on the catchers). From there, I keep the contact between the bar and my front delts and explode up. I use these to develop a better burst out of the hole and to add power. Other than that, the session went smoothly and I am regaining flexibility in my right hamstring (I can put my heel to about the middle of my head on the right, but fully behind my head on the left).

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Will be watching as you go along. You do some interesting training sessions.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
5/5-Vertical F/E, Core

Dips-BW+90x6, BW+100x3, BW+90x5
Wide Pulls-200x10, 2x220x8
Military Press-2x165x8
Wide Upright Rows-135x10, 140x10
Halos/Planks-3x25x12/30 secs

Good session even though I haven't been feeling physically at my best for over a week. I've noticed some really solid development in my delts over the past 2 months or so and I do attribute this to my re-incorporation of wide upright rows.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
5/7-Horizontal F/E, Cardio

BB Rows-2x275x12
Incline DB Press-70x10, 75x8, 80x6
Incline Flys-45x15
HS High Rows-2x145x10
HS Flat Press-2x50x15 (45 sec rest)

4x3-minute rounds heavy bag

Decent session from a strength perspective, but a great session from an M-M perspective, especially in my chest. I'm working different rep ranges to throw in some muscle confusion and to increase the lactate threshold. There was a major problem at the end of my cardio: I had a major back spasm in my lumbar and the fascia has stayed very, very tight. I put some cap cream on there to loosen up the muscle, but it has only marginally helped. All I'm going to do this weekend is stretch my lumbar and my hamstrings/glutes.

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
you do a lot of weights for MMA training huh?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you do a lot of weights for MMA training huh?
Strength is one of my bases in competition. I'm a grappler by trade and being stronger than my opponent is very important. When I'm training for a fight, I change up my lifting by reducing volume and tinkering with rep ranges, but I always lift as heavy as I can.

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
oh i see! so how does that affect your weight? do you fight natturally bigger or taller guys since you carry around more muscle mass? or do you have a lot of extra strength with minimal extra weight? how do you acheive this?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
oh i see! so how does that affect your weight? do you fight natturally bigger or taller guys since you carry around more muscle mass? or do you have a lot of extra strength with minimal extra weight? how do you acheive this?
Strength can be attained with the proper training program, but size is all about diet and recovery. When I'm in full training mode, I have 2-a-days 5x/week, so I have to monitor everything in my program to make sure I don't eat too little. I really don't think you can overtrain, but you can easily undereat. I have gained enough LBM over the past year to be a large WW (170 lbs) and I am about average height for the weight class. I am slightly heavier than usual (~5 lbs), but most of it is muscle and not fat. I fully expect to lose some mass when I'm prepping for my next fight, but I am much more concerned about maintaining my strength levels.

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
Strength can be attained with the proper training program, but size is all about diet and recovery. When I'm in full training mode, I have 2-a-days 5x/week, so I have to monitor everything in my program to make sure I don't eat too little. I really don't think you can overtrain, but you can easily undereat. I have gained enough LBM over the past year to be a large WW (170 lbs) and I am about average height for the weight class. I am slightly heavier than usual (~5 lbs), but most of it is muscle and not fat. I fully expect to lose some mass when I'm prepping for my next fight, but I am much more concerned about maintaining my strength levels.
and whats the trick to lose the mass yet maintain the strength?

buster0371

buster0371

Awards
  • Established
so you ever get that super middle weight class you been asking for silva? LOL JK

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not a training update, but more of a log update. I'm going to give my back a week to rest, but I am going to continue my rehab and stretching. I've ignored this for too long and I'm paying for it now.

However, I do have some very, very exciting news

(drumroll, please)

Rodja is now engaged!! That's right my fellow AM'ers, the resident surly MMA-snob and Avant rep is now set to get married. We haven't decided on a date, yet, but we're shooting for next summer.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Getting back into my full training now. I went for a run (my old route which I use as a gauge for my cardio) on Friday and didn't do too well. I had to stop 3x, but not because of low-back pain. I expected my cardio to be a little low, but not that bad (in all fairness it was humid).

Yesterday, I went to MMA practice and did some light and controlled sparring working mainly my jab. I actually stayed very calm and my footwork has good, which is a relief. I still have my shot in-tact and I am easing back into the fight game. I am going to lift today and work back into my old split from last summer with some modifications.

WhatsaRoid?

WhatsaRoid?

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Rodja is now engaged!! That's right my fellow AM'ers, the resident surly MMA-snob and Avant rep is now set to get married. We haven't decided on a date, yet, but we're shooting for next summer.
That a boy, I need to start saving for my girls ring :)

Getting back into my full training now. I went for a run (my old route which I use as a gauge for my cardio) on Friday and didn't do too well. I had to stop 3x, but not because of low-back pain. I expected my cardio to be a little low, but not that bad (in all fairness it was humid).
I know how it feels, my bike ride today was a drag. I've been keeping up with your training and man I'm loving your workouts. keep up the great work

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed for sure

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
5/19-Vertical F/E, Core

Dips-BW+45x10, BW+70x8, BW+80x6
Wide Pulldowns-200x10, 220x8, 240x6
Seated DB Press-2x55x8
Wide Upright Rows-115x10, 125x10
Seated Overhead DB Ex/Seated DB Curls-80x10/45x8

Halos/Planks-3x25x14/30 seconds

Solid first session back in the gym. Strength was good, but my endurance was down a bit. Didn't want to push too hard, so I had a pretty low volume day. In the next 2 weeks, I am going to start training fully for MMA again and will change my split. Until that time, I will remain with my current routine.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
Not a training update, but more of a log update. I'm going to give my back a week to rest, but I am going to continue my rehab and stretching. I've ignored this for too long and I'm paying for it now.

However, I do have some very, very exciting news

(drumroll, please)

Hey congratulations! In other news, I hope your back got the recovery it needed.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I went to practice last night, but I didn't spar. I worked mitts, clinch-work, and positions before I had a few rolls. I felt surprisingly smooth for not being on the mat for about 3 months and for barely training since last July. My BJJ, which has always been the heart of my game, felt really good and I was able to transition from every position relatively easily. My cardio felt decent, but my arms started to burn out towards the end from trying to sink in a Brabo Choke.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OK AMers, here's a quick rundown of the past several days training: footwork is good, BJJ is where I left off and a tad more explosive, and my cardio is quickly improving. On Thursday, I had a quick arm session with my Panzer Bjorn of a friend, which completely fried my triceps.

5/22-Cardio

Warm-Up
3x3 Jump Rope (60 sec rest)

I like this to get my heart rate up, while also getting my rhythm down. My feet have a tendency to get tangled up since I fight lefty even though I am a righty (for those who aren't familiar, I made the switch because I hurt my patella in my left knee to where I could not shoot).

4x5 Heavy Bag Drills

I have been doing these in a small area to focus on my lateral movement and throwing my strikes while in-close. For those curious, I use a pair of MMA sparring gloves when I work these drills (see below).

http://combatxp.com/images/Throwdown%20MMA%20Sparring%20Glove.jpg

BTW, these gloves are very well constructed. I have used them for about 6 months and they have held together completely and fit nicely over the fingers.

3 mile run in ~20 minutes

Felt good during this, but I started to get nauseous towards the end. I'm not sure if it was hunger or pushing too hard. Either way, I had to stop only once, which is much better than previously.

5/23-MMA

A humbling day on the mat, but it always is with this particular fellow (if Robdog is trolling this thread, he can vouch for me on this). He is our resident enforcer; I call him the baby-faced killer. Although only officially a purple, he is at least a a mid-level brown belt. He has trained with Travis Tooke, a Carlos Gracie Jr. BB at 23 years old, and they end in stalemates. In addition to that, he has wrestled for 20 years and is a 3rd-dan in Judo. He kicks my ass every time we roll. If I last 60 seconds, then it's a small victory for me. Anywho, when I sparred I did very well. I set up my power shots with my jab and set up many feints to mix up my strikes. I eventually found my range and threw a wicked liver kick with my power and follow it up with a right hook.

My number one thing that I tell everyone that is beginning their striking training is to mix up their strikes. The head isn't the only target and doing things such as aiming for the middle of the humerus, liver strikes, front kicks, and, most of all, leg kicks help to set up a KO shot and help you to dictate the pace of a fight.

Also, more very exciting news to come later this week once it's official. If you can read between the lines, you can probably figure it out (hint, hint).

**** it: First one to guess it gets a bottle of Napalm on me (I'm feeling generous)...

benj851

benj851

Awards
  • Established
Well you haven't been in a mma cage match for a very long time due to scheduling issues, not because you were hurt. And the goal of training is that you becoming stronger than your opponent so you can overwhelm them with your strength (awesome btw). your 1st post says that you cannot wait until the summer when you get back into the cage. It's almost summer, and you already gave everyone the best news...you got engaged, (congrats being married is great)! so the only other awesome news is that you will be getting into your first cage fight again.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well you haven't been in a mma cage match for a very long time due to scheduling issues, not because you were hurt. And the goal of training is that you becoming stronger than your opponent so you can overwhelm them with your strength (awesome btw). your 1st post says that you cannot wait until the summer when you get back into the cage. It's almost summer, and you already gave everyone the best news...you got engaged, (congrats being married is great)! so the only other awesome news is that you will be getting into your first cage fight again.
Very good. Most cannot extrapolate information this well. PM your addy.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
5/26-Upper F/E, Core

Dips-BW+70x6, BW+90x3
Wide Pulldowns-2x220x8
Incline DB Press-70x10, 75x6
HS Neutral Rows-2x170x8
Hammer Curls/Pressdowns-2x45x8/2x160x12
Trunk Rotations/Planks/2x70x20/2x30 sec

I had a stomach bug on Sunday night and I was barely able to keep focused during this session. I was significantly weaker than usual, but I expected that to happen. My lower back is feeling good, but not 100%.

Also, I started using 6 caps of Activate Xtreme and 4 caps of Anagen last Thursday.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
5/29-Horizontal F/E, Core, Cardio

BB Rows-2x275x12
Flat DB Press-70x10, 80x8
HS Low Underhand Row-2x145x12
HS Incline Press-100x10, 112.5x6
DB Rows-110x15
Hypers-2xBWx15

Jump Rope
3 minute warm-up
3x4 minute rounds

Heavy Bag
3x4 minute rounds

3 mile run ~18 minutes

Very good session in terms of strength and aggression. I was slightly fatigued when the session started, so I took 60mg of Geranium and 3 RPM. I started training at about 4:30 and finished around 6:20 and felt good until I was finished. After that, I was completely gassed (I like to run outside in the TX heat. It's more fun to me this way) and went to have a major heaping of sashimi and fruit after a shower and a post-training meal (2 scoops whey, 1/2C raisins). When I started the session, I was at 186.6 and I would like to be down to 184 by next Monday when I start my loading.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've had a ton of sparring the past few days. I'm feeling a little battered and bruised from all of the training, but nothing is hurt. I got put into a hybrid calf-cutter/knee compression last night that has left me with a slight limp, but nothing serious. I am rocking some nice bruises on my arms and shins, though. I've been really working on my jab and footwork to set-up either my 2 or a LMK. There will be a few surprises for my opponent this fight and I am really looking forward to carbing up.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
~30 hours until weigh-ins

I'm sitting at 186 as of last night. I've started to deplete my glycogen today and will consume only 64 oz of water mixed with 15g of BCAAs throughout the day. Tonight will be light cardio (HR ~120-130) with minimal water consumption and some fruit (either pineapple or raisins) to keep glucose levels somewhat more stable. I loaded the past 3 days and feel good mentally.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established