Jcalvert86 Workout Log

  1. New Member
    jcalvert86's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    28
    Posts
    298
    Rep Power
    356
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    31.44%

    Jcalvert86 Workout Log


    Starting Total Body training this week. Starting weight of 173lbs at approx 11% body fat at 6'0". I will try to get some pictures up by the end of this week.

    Mon 4x8
    Wed 4x10
    Fri 4x6

    Tue/Thur most likely calves/abs and 2 sets of 8 on bi/tri if I feel necessary.

    First day today was used to figure out starting weight etc but turned out to be a pretty good workout.

    Squat - 185x8x4

    Rack Deads - 155x8x4

    Single Arm Dbell Row - 50x8x4

    Barbell Bench - 175x8x4

    Skull Crushers - 60x8x4

    Military Press - 95x8x4

    Chins - Body Weight (173) x8x4

    Total workout time was 55 minutes. Hopefully narrow this down to 45 min tops by next week.

    All critiques/comments welcome

  2. Elite Member
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,352
    Rep Power
    3262
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    30.81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    in for support brotha
  3. Senior Member
    Teg's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,019
    Rep Power
    652
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    14.99%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Looks Good! Keep it goin!
    •   
       

  4. The BPS Rep
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    350691
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    84.16%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Got a bit of back prioritization going on?

    Your squat is pretty good for a guy your height and weight.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  5. New Member
    jcalvert86's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    28
    Posts
    298
    Rep Power
    356
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    31.44%

    Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    Got a bit of back prioritization going on?

    Your squat is pretty good for a guy your height and weight.

    No priority for back, but it has put on quite a bit of size in the last 2 months. I figured the rack deads would hit lower and the dbell rows for upper. Should I just stick with the deads?

    I figured my squat would suck because I broke my femur about 3 years ago and I have pretty weak knees. I took it easy today, but next week I should be doing 225x8x4.
  6. Elite Member
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,352
    Rep Power
    3262
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    30.81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    rack deads will work pretty well for you.
  7. The BPS Rep
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    350691
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    84.16%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    I prefer deads from the floor or even a platform; I find the greater range of motion puts greater stress on the lats. If it were me, I'd do dead and chins one day, squats and rows the next.

    However, that is personal preference. Rack pulls are very good for increasing your grip strength and moving more weight than you could for a full ROM dead.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  8. New Member
    jcalvert86's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    28
    Posts
    298
    Rep Power
    356
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    31.44%

    Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    I prefer deads from the floor or even a platform; I find the greater range of motion puts greater stress on the lats. If it were me, I'd do dead and chins one day, squats and rows the next.

    However, that is personal preference. Rack pulls are very good for increasing your grip strength and moving more weight than you could for a full ROM dead.
    So deads/chins on the 8 rep day and then switch to squats/rows on the 10 rep day?

    I'm going to have to keep track of my weights used in Excel so I can be sure I'm increasing weight each week despite the workouts being alternated.

    How do you guys feel about doing a few sets for bi/tri and abs/calves on the days in between full body workouts?
  9. The BPS Rep
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    350691
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    84.16%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by jcalvert86 View Post
    So deads/chins on the 8 rep day and then switch to squats/rows on the 10 rep day?
    I'm going to have to keep track of my weights used in Excel so I can be sure I'm increasing weight each week despite the workouts being alternated.
    How many reps you do on any given day is entirely up to you; stick with 6-10 for a month or two. Then, when you get more accustomed to full body workouts, start experimenting with different rep ranges - going up to 15 or down to 1 even.

    I just make sure all my workouts incorporate either a DL or a squat variation. Usually I alternate back and forth between the two each workout.

    Keeping track of the weight you move becomes second nature after a while. If using Excel will help, go for it!

    Quote Originally Posted by jcalvert86 View Post
    How do you guys feel about doing a few sets for bi/tri and abs/calves on the days in between full body workouts?
    I'd tack on those accessory parts to the end of your workouts. However, feel free to experiment. If you can do a full body workout on Monday, then Bis/Tris on Tuesday and be ready for another FB w/o on Wednesday, go for it.

    Just bear in mind that with such high frequency, your volume does not need to be very high for those accessory lifts.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  10. Elite Member
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,352
    Rep Power
    3262
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    30.81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    the best components for gaining size are regular deadlifts/squats/bench. if you're doing squats on MWF, you may find rack deads work better for you since your legs/glutes are already toast. alternatively, you may find that little extra work from your legs helps better elevate your GH levels - remember that the more compound the movement, the more GH is released. if you're dropping the weight by 50-75 pounds because your legs are toast though, rack deads may be a better option for you.
  11. Elite Member
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,352
    Rep Power
    3262
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    30.81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by jcalvert86 View Post
    How do you guys feel about doing a few sets for bi/tri and abs/calves on the days in between full body workouts?
    on tuesday and thursday, you can tackle other muscles you haven't targeted yet - calves, rear tri's, etc. supplemental training
  12. The BPS Rep
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    350691
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    84.16%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    the best components for gaining size are regular deadlifts/squats/bench. if you're doing squats on MWF, you may find rack deads work better for you since your legs/glutes are already toast. alternatively, you may find that little extra work from your legs helps better elevate your GH levels - remember that the more compound the movement, the more GH is released. if you're dropping the weight by 50-75 pounds because your legs are toast though, rack deads may be a better option for you.
    That's exactly why I split my dead onto a different day from my squats. If I do them on the same day, performance drops dramatically.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  13. Elite Member
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,352
    Rep Power
    3262
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    30.81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    That's exactly why I split my dead onto a different day from my squats. If I do them on the same day, performance drops dramatically.
    he's doing total body though to bulk - there's no other day to split it onto. its either suffer the drop in weight, or rack dead to overcome the problem. this was the hardest thing for me when i was doing total body - i would dread doing deads. finally, i just did the deads on my first superset, so i didn't have to worry about my glutes taking a beating. from there, there's no need to warmup your quads/glutes since the deads already did that. at least for me and my pansy ass starting weights.
  14. The BPS Rep
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    350691
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    84.16%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    he's doing total body though to bulk - there's no other day to split it onto. its either suffer the drop in weight, or rack dead to overcome the problem. this was the hardest thing for me when i was doing total body - i would dread doing deads. finally, i just did the deads on my first superset, so i didn't have to worry about my glutes taking a beating. from there, there's no need to warmup your quads/glutes since the deads already did that. at least for me and my pansy ass starting weights.
    If he can handle both, there's no reason not to do both. I just find that I can only give one or the other 100% effort. I mean, geez, I was ready to go home yesterday after deads and I still had the whole rest of my workout to go! No way was I gonna do squats too!

    If you pull from the floor, or even better a platform, Deads are very much a leg movement, so in that sense they would replace squats. Their hip-dominant however, so I typically incorporate a less taxing quad-dominant movement on dead day: lunges, single-leg squat, etc.

    You still end up doing total body, I'm not suggesting a split. One day would be squats with some other back/hip movement, the next deads with some other quad movement.

    Throw in a couple of upper-body pushes and another pull and you're set!

    However, don't think that I'm trying to say "I'm right and you're wrong" - cuz I'm not at all. I just trying to display some of the options and versatility FBT can offer.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  15. Elite Member
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,352
    Rep Power
    3262
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    30.81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Resolve View Post
    If he can handle both, there's no reason not to do both. I just find that I can only give one or the other 100% effort. I mean, geez, I was ready to go home yesterday after deads and I still had the whole rest of my workout to go! No way was I gonna do squats too!

    If you pull from the floor, or even better a platform, Deads are very much a leg movement, so in that sense they would replace squats. Their hip-dominant however, so I typically incorporate a less taxing quad-dominant movement on dead day: lunges, single-leg squat, etc.

    You still end up doing total body, I'm not suggesting a split. One day would be squats with some other back/hip movement, the next deads with some other quad movement.

    Throw in a couple of upper-body pushes and another pull and you're set!

    However, don't think that I'm trying to say "I'm right and you're wrong" - cuz I'm not at all. I just trying to display some of the options and versatility FBT can offer.
    good ideas for sure. Jcalvert is going to have to find what works best for him methinks.
  16. The BPS Rep
    Resolve's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,062
    Rep Power
    350691
    Level
    59
    Lv. Percent
    84.16%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    good ideas for sure. Jcalvert is going to have to find what works best for him methinks.
    That right there is the truth of the situation!
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

    ***NOW @ NP***
  17. New Member
    jcalvert86's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    28
    Posts
    298
    Rep Power
    356
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    31.44%

    Great advice so far guys!

    I think I'll stick to days of 8-10 reps and mix up the exercises peformed.

    Maybe things will get better over the next 2-3 weeks but there's no way I was doing additional bi/tri or calves/abs after finishing the first total body workout monday lol.
  18. Senior Member
    Teg's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,019
    Rep Power
    652
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    14.99%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    JC- Resolve and SC both have some great advice for you to say the least! Now Tear it up!
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-19-2010, 06:17 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2010, 04:48 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 06:40 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-14-2007, 11:52 AM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-26-2004, 02:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in