Jcalvert86 Workout Log

jcalvert86

Awards
  • Established
Starting Total Body training this week. Starting weight of 173lbs at approx 11% body fat at 6'0". I will try to get some pictures up by the end of this week.

Mon 4x8
Wed 4x10
Fri 4x6

Tue/Thur most likely calves/abs and 2 sets of 8 on bi/tri if I feel necessary.

First day today was used to figure out starting weight etc but turned out to be a pretty good workout.

Squat - 185x8x4

Rack Deads - 155x8x4

Single Arm Dbell Row - 50x8x4

Barbell Bench - 175x8x4

Skull Crushers - 60x8x4

Military Press - 95x8x4

Chins - Body Weight (173) x8x4

Total workout time was 55 minutes. Hopefully narrow this down to 45 min tops by next week.

All critiques/comments welcome :wave:

jcalvert86

Awards
  • Established
Got a bit of back prioritization going on?

Your squat is pretty good for a guy your height and weight.

No priority for back, but it has put on quite a bit of size in the last 2 months. I figured the rack deads would hit lower and the dbell rows for upper. Should I just stick with the deads?

I figured my squat would suck because I broke my femur about 3 years ago and I have pretty weak knees. I took it easy today, but next week I should be doing 225x8x4.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
rack deads will work pretty well for you.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I prefer deads from the floor or even a platform; I find the greater range of motion puts greater stress on the lats. If it were me, I'd do dead and chins one day, squats and rows the next.

However, that is personal preference. Rack pulls are very good for increasing your grip strength and moving more weight than you could for a full ROM dead.

jcalvert86

Awards
  • Established
I prefer deads from the floor or even a platform; I find the greater range of motion puts greater stress on the lats. If it were me, I'd do dead and chins one day, squats and rows the next.

However, that is personal preference. Rack pulls are very good for increasing your grip strength and moving more weight than you could for a full ROM dead.
So deads/chins on the 8 rep day and then switch to squats/rows on the 10 rep day?

I'm going to have to keep track of my weights used in Excel so I can be sure I'm increasing weight each week despite the workouts being alternated.

How do you guys feel about doing a few sets for bi/tri and abs/calves on the days in between full body workouts?

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
So deads/chins on the 8 rep day and then switch to squats/rows on the 10 rep day?
I'm going to have to keep track of my weights used in Excel so I can be sure I'm increasing weight each week despite the workouts being alternated.
How many reps you do on any given day is entirely up to you; stick with 6-10 for a month or two. Then, when you get more accustomed to full body workouts, start experimenting with different rep ranges - going up to 15 or down to 1 even.

I just make sure all my workouts incorporate either a DL or a squat variation. Usually I alternate back and forth between the two each workout.

Keeping track of the weight you move becomes second nature after a while. If using Excel will help, go for it!

How do you guys feel about doing a few sets for bi/tri and abs/calves on the days in between full body workouts?
I'd tack on those accessory parts to the end of your workouts. However, feel free to experiment. If you can do a full body workout on Monday, then Bis/Tris on Tuesday and be ready for another FB w/o on Wednesday, go for it.

Just bear in mind that with such high frequency, your volume does not need to be very high for those accessory lifts.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
the best components for gaining size are regular deadlifts/squats/bench. if you're doing squats on MWF, you may find rack deads work better for you since your legs/glutes are already toast. alternatively, you may find that little extra work from your legs helps better elevate your GH levels - remember that the more compound the movement, the more GH is released. if you're dropping the weight by 50-75 pounds because your legs are toast though, rack deads may be a better option for you.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
on tuesday and thursday, you can tackle other muscles you haven't targeted yet - calves, rear tri's, etc. supplemental training :)

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
the best components for gaining size are regular deadlifts/squats/bench. if you're doing squats on MWF, you may find rack deads work better for you since your legs/glutes are already toast. alternatively, you may find that little extra work from your legs helps better elevate your GH levels - remember that the more compound the movement, the more GH is released. if you're dropping the weight by 50-75 pounds because your legs are toast though, rack deads may be a better option for you.
That's exactly why I split my dead onto a different day from my squats. If I do them on the same day, performance drops dramatically.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
That's exactly why I split my dead onto a different day from my squats. If I do them on the same day, performance drops dramatically.
he's doing total body though to bulk - there's no other day to split it onto. its either suffer the drop in weight, or rack dead to overcome the problem. this was the hardest thing for me when i was doing total body - i would dread doing deads. finally, i just did the deads on my first superset, so i didn't have to worry about my glutes taking a beating. from there, there's no need to warmup your quads/glutes since the deads already did that. at least for me and my pansy ass starting weights.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
he's doing total body though to bulk - there's no other day to split it onto. its either suffer the drop in weight, or rack dead to overcome the problem. this was the hardest thing for me when i was doing total body - i would dread doing deads. finally, i just did the deads on my first superset, so i didn't have to worry about my glutes taking a beating. from there, there's no need to warmup your quads/glutes since the deads already did that. at least for me and my pansy ass starting weights.
If he can handle both, there's no reason not to do both. I just find that I can only give one or the other 100% effort. I mean, geez, I was ready to go home yesterday after deads and I still had the whole rest of my workout to go! No way was I gonna do squats too!

If you pull from the floor, or even better a platform, Deads are very much a leg movement, so in that sense they would replace squats. Their hip-dominant however, so I typically incorporate a less taxing quad-dominant movement on dead day: lunges, single-leg squat, etc.

You still end up doing total body, I'm not suggesting a split. One day would be squats with some other back/hip movement, the next deads with some other quad movement.

Throw in a couple of upper-body pushes and another pull and you're set! :)

However, don't think that I'm trying to say "I'm right and you're wrong" - cuz I'm not at all. I just trying to display some of the options and versatility FBT can offer.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
If he can handle both, there's no reason not to do both. I just find that I can only give one or the other 100% effort. I mean, geez, I was ready to go home yesterday after deads and I still had the whole rest of my workout to go! No way was I gonna do squats too!

If you pull from the floor, or even better a platform, Deads are very much a leg movement, so in that sense they would replace squats. Their hip-dominant however, so I typically incorporate a less taxing quad-dominant movement on dead day: lunges, single-leg squat, etc.

You still end up doing total body, I'm not suggesting a split. One day would be squats with some other back/hip movement, the next deads with some other quad movement.

Throw in a couple of upper-body pushes and another pull and you're set! :)

However, don't think that I'm trying to say "I'm right and you're wrong" - cuz I'm not at all. I just trying to display some of the options and versatility FBT can offer.
good ideas for sure. Jcalvert is going to have to find what works best for him methinks.

jcalvert86

Awards
  • Established
Great advice so far guys!

I think I'll stick to days of 8-10 reps and mix up the exercises peformed.

Maybe things will get better over the next 2-3 weeks but there's no way I was doing additional bi/tri or calves/abs after finishing the first total body workout monday lol.

Teg

Teg

Awards
  • Established
JC- Resolve and SC both have some great advice for you to say the least! Now Tear it up!