My Ectomorph Transformation (Hopefully!)

DaveWalton

Awards
After 5 years of working out (mostly the wrong way) and eating (mostly the wrong way) I feel I'm getting a better grasp of working out and nutrition for my body type (ectomorph). I'm 6'3 and about 198 in the morning. I would like to get to 230 eventually, but for now I will aim for 210 as of December 31st (hopefully with no significant fat gain).

I will be following James Chan's "Hypertrophy Training for the Ectomorph" program (unless someone can suggest a better program for an ectomorph). Cardio will be done HIIT 2 times a week for 15-20 minutes and no more to burn fat. WILL BE switching workouts as of December 12, 2008.

I saw Ian King refer to this as a great workout for the hardgaining type. It was posted around 2002 but it looks like a good solid workout. It might be a good routine to follow for the hardgainer type untill M. Mejia's hardgainer book comes out.

T-Nation.com | Bulk-Building Workout

Day 1

A-1. Back Squat (Medium bar height on shoulder, medium stance, medium grip on bar)

Warm up: 1 x 20, 1 x 10

Work set: 2 x 20

Speed: 311

Rest Period: Supersetted with pullover described below

Notes: Use the breathing squat technique*

A-2. Lying Bar Pullover (Bent arm, dumbbells also an option)

Rest Period: 5-10 minutes (whatever it takes)

Notes: Use the breathing technique as in the squat
B. Dynamic Lunges

Warm up: 1 x 10

Work set: 1-2 x 20 (10 per leg)

Speed: 10X

Rest Period: 3-5 minutes (whatever it takes)

C. Single Leg Squat (Hold vertical frame, other leg out in front)

Warm up: nil

Work set:1 x max reps

Workout 2

A-1. Bench Press (Medium grip on bar, feet down, bar to mid-chest, mild arch, use cambered bar if available)

Warm up: 1 x 10, 1 x 8

Work set: 2 x 5-6, 1 x 10-12, 1 x 15-20

Rest Period: Take 3 minutes, then do a set of rows
A-2. Bent Over Row (Medium grip on bar, palms down)

Rest Period: Take 3 minutes, then do a set of bench press

B. Dips (On parallel bars)

Warm up: 1 x 6 (bodyweight dip if using loaded dips in work sets; otherwise bench dips for warm-up)

Work set: 2 x 5-6, 1 x 6-8, 1 x 15-20

Rest Period: 3 minutes

Notes: Hopefully, use additional load in at least the 2 x 5-6 work sets; maybe use the bench dips for the 15-20 rep set, depending on your strengths!

Workout 3

A. Deadlift (Medium grip on bar)

Warm up: 1 x 10, 1 x 10

Work set: 2 x 10, 1 x 20

Rest Period: Strict 3 minutes

Notes: Use the breathing squat technique

B. Lower Back Combo

1. Good morning (rounded back)

2. Stiff legged deadlift (chest up/flat back)

3. Stiff legged, Rounded Back Deadlift (same as number 2, but the back is rounded)

Warm up: 1 x 6 + 1 x 6 + 1 x 6

Work set: 1 x 6 + 1 x 6 + 1 x 6

Rest Period: 10 seconds only between sets; 2-3 minutes between warm up and work set

C. King Deadlift (Single leg stiff legged deadlift, bodyweight only)

Workout 4

A-1. Shoulder Press (Wide grip on bar, seated, behind neck)

Rest Period: Take 3 minutes, then do a set of chin-ups
A-2. Chin Ups (Medium grip)

Warm up: 1 x 10, 1 x 8 (using lat pulldown)

Notes: Hopefully use external load in at least the 2 x 5-6 work sets; maybe use the lat pulldown bar for the 15-20 rep set.

B. Barbell Biceps Curls (Straight bar, standing, medium grip)

Work set: 1 x 6-8, 1 x 15-20

Stats:

Height: 6'3
Weight: 198

Daily Nutrition Goal: Carbs 50% Protein 25% Fat 25%
Carbs = 600 grams daily
Protein = 300 grams daily
Fat = 130 grams daily

Supplements:

Flax Seed Oil caps
Multivitamin
Weight gain Powder
BCAAs

Today was an off day and pretty awful. I'm definitely going to have to change my sleeping habits if this bulk is going to work.

I woke up at 2PM today (not typical)!

First meal was a plate of spaghetti with a banana and 2 scoops of whey powder (50g protein).

Snack - 2 cups of milk

2nd meal: Big plate of rice with whole chicken breast and assorted veggies...garlic shrimp as a side.

3rd meal: Same as 3 minues the shrimp.

Snack: 2 1/2 cups of milk.

4th meal: 1 1/2 scoops whey powder + 2 raw eggs + apple + plate of spaghetti.

Snack: 2 cups of milk.

Carbs = About 280 grams
Protein = About 230 grams.
Fat = No idea :S. Probably about 50-70 grams.

All in all, today was not very good for nutrition. It was a lazy Sunday and I got about half the carbs I need and missed out on 70 grams of protein. I need A LOT more carbs and I need eat more frequently. I'll be posting tomorrow's diet as well.

Any suggestions feedback appreciated!

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
Best of luck man...I'll keep a close eye on this one. I'll be posting my progress pics soon...I've cleaned up my diet quite a bit but it's still not all it could be.
Stay with it man

nofx4110

nofx4110

Awards
Thats the spirit!

I will say that if I do cardio, I will never get gains. You should cutting it out if you haven't already. I bulk in the beginning of winter, and cut at the end. (hibernation fat)

DaveWalton

Awards
Sorry I haven't posted a lot lately...I had a major essay due the other day and got called in for a shift tonight...anyways here goes:

I've run out of whey powder and have turned to drinking a **** load of milk a day (like near a gallon a day) to replace whey protein. I find its a quick and easy source of protein throughout the day....I love it. I've been getting around 250-270 g protein throughout the day...so I need to up it...and about 450-500 g carbs daily.

My weights today were (keeping in mind rep scheme is 10, 8, 6, 15):

Squats: 10 - 185 8 - 195 6- 205 15 - 145 (My squat is a bit weak)
Dumbbell Bench Press (I have a decent bench press): 10-75s 8-80s 6-90s 15-60s
V-Bar Pulldown: 10-115 8-130 6-145 15-100
Lateral Raise: 10-15 8-20 6-20 15-12
Dumbbell Curls: 10-30 8-30 6-35 15-25
Close-Grip Bench Press (on smith machine since no spotter):
10-125 8-135 6-145 15-100

Eating this much is crazy hard but I'm feeling the effects I think. HIIT is wonderful too...I've only had two sessions so far (Friday and Tuesday)...but it's a great feeling.

I weighed in after my workout at 204...and last night at 205...but I need to weigh in the morning to get an accurate picture...I'll post again tomorrow!

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
high intensity is awesome! it gives you all the benefits of cardio, while not having to get on a treadmill.

are you supersetting that workout you're doing, or normal rest intervals?

DaveWalton

Awards
high intensity is awesome! it gives you all the benefits of cardio, while not having to get on a treadmill.

are you supersetting that workout you're doing, or normal rest intervals?
Erm by HIIT I mean High Intensity Interval Training...aka cardio. I only do it 2 times a week for about 15 minutes...but its a greta cardio workout and good way to burn fat.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
ahh. like jogging and then fartlicks, etc. gotcha.

i hope to see some good progress from you brotha.

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
hey man gunna check in on you from time to time man, seems like you know what your doing just make sure to get in all your cals and PROTEINS man! workout seems nice its whateva works for you really. i can relate to your whole bulk session ive been bulking for the past 4 months and i end sometime in january and ive gone up 20lbs and i know its a ***** have to eat this much is like working 2 jobs lol ya kno. but as for the cardio i wouldnt do that much cause your bulking and me i havent ran a mile in 4 months and my body still keeps eating away everything i eat its still hard to gain weight on me so i wouldnt recommend 15-20 mins i would recommend maybe a nice fast paced walk and thats it but thats just my opinion idk if ur metabolism is like mine but neway hit the gym hard man and good luck! and get some more protein to go with all that milk ha

nofx4110

nofx4110

Awards
hey man gunna check in on you from time to time man, seems like you know what your doing just make sure to get in all your cals and PROTEINS man! workout seems nice its whateva works for you really. i can relate to your whole bulk session ive been bulking for the past 4 months and i end sometime in january and ive gone up 20lbs and i know its a ***** have to eat this much is like working 2 jobs lol ya kno. but as for the cardio i wouldnt do that much cause your bulking and me i havent ran a mile in 4 months and my body still keeps eating away everything i eat its still hard to gain weight on me so i wouldnt recommend 15-20 mins i would recommend maybe a nice fast paced walk and thats it but thats just my opinion idk if ur metabolism is like mine but neway hit the gym hard man and good luck! and get some more protein to go with all that milk ha
:goodpost:

DaveWalton

Awards
First off...sorry I've been absent from the log lately. It's nearing exam time at school and I've been very busy with school and work. Maybe not the best time to start this log but bah well.

To MMAMonster: I hear ya man. Great progress with the 20 pound gain...that's pretty stellar. How much of that would you say is fat?

As for the cardio bit, I think cardio is very important to maintain overall health and to keep a bit of the fat off. The reason I'm doing such short and intense cardio sessions two times a week is to prevent my body from going into the catabolic state that goes with slow and steady cardio (I might be wrong on this but that's how I understand it). High intensity interval training is effective for burning fat and provides me with adequate cardio while bulking.

Now to the weight gain.

Good news: this morning I weighed in at 207 and 210 at night (just now). I don't seem to have gained too much fat either. Drinking so much milk and water throughout the day leaves me a little bloated but that's pretty much gone in the morning.

My weights:

Squats: 10 - 195 8 - 205 6- 215 15 - 155 (My squat is a bit weak)
Dumbbell Bench Press (I have a decent bench press): 10-75s 8-85s 6-90s 15-65s
V-Bar Pulldown: 10-125 8-140 6-155 15-110
Lateral Raise: 10-20 8-20 6-25 15-15
Dumbbell Curls: 10-30 8-35 6-35 15-25
10-120 8-130 6-140 15-95

All in all loving the new workout. Legs are really growing noticeably too.

nofx4110

nofx4110

Awards
First off...sorry I've been absent from the log lately. It's nearing exam time at school and I've been very busy with school and work. Maybe not the best time to start this log but bah well.

To MMAMonster: I hear ya man. Great progress with the 20 pound gain...that's pretty stellar. How much of that would you say is fat?

As for the cardio bit, I think cardio is very important to maintain overall health and to keep a bit of the fat off. The reason I'm doing such short and intense cardio sessions two times a week is to prevent my body from going into the catabolic state that goes with slow and steady cardio (I might be wrong on this but that's how I understand it). High intensity interval training is effective for burning fat and provides me with adequate cardio while bulking.

Now to the weight gain.

Good news: this morning I weighed in at 207 and 210 at night (just now). I don't seem to have gained too much fat either. Drinking so much milk and water throughout the day leaves me a little bloated but that's pretty much gone in the morning.

My weights:

Squats: 10 - 195 8 - 205 6- 215 15 - 155 (My squat is a bit weak)
Dumbbell Bench Press (I have a decent bench press): 10-75s 8-85s 6-90s 15-65s
V-Bar Pulldown: 10-125 8-140 6-155 15-110
Lateral Raise: 10-20 8-20 6-25 15-15
Dumbbell Curls: 10-30 8-35 6-35 15-25
10-120 8-130 6-140 15-95

All in all loving the new workout. Legs are really growing noticeably too.
Awesome. Seems to be working very well for you. I am going to make an educatedguess and say you have skinny legs. If you get your squats up you should hit 220 in no time. If you focus on your legs by doing squats and dead lifts, your growth hormone will increase drasticly. Take some GABA and/or powerFULL and it will increase even more. I read something about muscle pharm'a bullet proof increasing GH too, haven't tried it myself.
On the other hand, you are doing HIIT, I couldn't do deads and squats after that.

The only other essential bulking exercise I see missing is the military press, if you have the time and energy I highly reccomend it for bulking.

If there is anyone who actually weighs more than dave who can back me up on this or explain why I am wrong I would greatly appreciate it.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
The only other essential bulking exercise I see missing is the military press, if you have the time and energy I highly reccomend it for bulking.

If there is anyone who actually weighs more than dave who can back me up on this or explain why I am wrong I would greatly appreciate it.
unfortunately, i'm 20 pounds under dave right now, though i'm trying to catch up. anyways, you're far from wrong. the workout takes the most compound movements, and makes a workout out of them based on the most major movement per body part. the major body parts are:

biceps
back
chest
quads
shoulders
triceps

hence:

Squats
Dumbbell Bench Press
V-Bar Pulldown
Lateral Raise
Dumbbell Curls
Close-Grip Bench Press

if i were to rewrite this it would be
squats
deads
chins
close grip bench
military press
bench press - barbell or dumbell. barbells are more weight which is a greater test release, but dumbells, because of further range of motion, involve more muscles, hence more GH release.

you only have 6 exercises to do this, so you need the movements with the best results in terms of mass. that's my thoughts.

though if its working for you, keep doing it till gains stop, then switch over :) - never mess with what works.

dave, i wrote an article specifically from your ideas and posts about this subject, with thoughts from two people who have done total body workouts to bulk up 40-50 pounds. http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/109366-ectomorph-workout.html . though again, if the above is working for you, i wouldn't bother switching over just yet, but your call regardless.

DaveWalton

Awards
What an AWFUL week for bodybuilding. I've only been getting 4-5 meals a day for the whole week because I've been working so much and its exam time. My workouts have been good, but my nutrition has been off...so the week was wasted.

Yesterday I got called into work and didn't get to eat until 2PM!! I was pissed. After that we had our christmas party and I ate a bit when I got home and went to bed. After that shitty week and yesterday I woke up today and weighed in at 207 on an empty stomach.

Today will be a fresh start.

My first meal was a big plate of spaghetti and meatballs with a banana, yogurt, and a glass of milk (plus multi and flax seed oil). The meatballs aren't the greatest but they aren't always around so it was a nice treat.

I need to keep telling myself that in order to get big I need to eat big. Having the body I want is 80% diet.

I also need to start eating more as I've gone up to 207. My new daily intake adjusted for bodyweight will look like:

protein = 310.5 g/day
carbs = 621 g/day
fat = 135 g/day
and as always at least a gallon of water/day.

Will be working out tonight.

DaveWalton

Awards
good luck brotha!
Finishing up Chan's workout. I liked it. I had great pumps from it and gained 9 pounds in under a month. I will now be switching to the following workout:

I saw Ian King refer to this as a great workout for the hardgaining type. It was posted around 2002 but it looks like a good solid workout. It might be a good routine to follow for the hardgainer type untill M. Mejia's hardgainer book comes out.

http://www.t- nation.com/findArticle.do;jses sionid=3DF0876D9021D1388862306 EAF2A5CE0.ramuh?article=227bul k

Day 1

A-1. Back Squat (Medium bar height on shoulder, medium stance, medium grip on bar)

Rest Period: Supersetted with pullover described below

Notes: Use the breathing squat technique*

A-2. Lying Bar Pullover (Bent arm, dumbbells also an option)

Rest Period: 5-10 minutes (whatever it takes)

Notes: Use the breathing technique as in the squat
B. Dynamic Lunges

Work set: 1-2 x 20 (10 per leg)

Speed: 10X

Rest Period: 3-5 minutes (whatever it takes)

C. Single Leg Squat (Hold vertical frame, other leg out in front)

Workout 2

A-1. Bench Press (Medium grip on bar, feet down, bar to mid-chest, mild arch, use cambered bar if available)

Rest Period: Take 3 minutes, then do a set of rows

Warm up: 1 x 6 (bodyweight dip if using loaded dips in work sets; otherwise bench dips for warm-up)

Work set: 2 x 5-6, 1 x 6-8, 1 x 15-20

Notes: Hopefully, use additional load in at least the 2 x 5-6 work sets; maybe use the bench dips for the 15-20 rep set, depending on your strengths!

Workout 3

A. Deadlift (Medium grip on bar)

Warm up: 1 x 10, 1 x 10

Work set: 2 x 10, 1 x 20

Rest Period: Strict 3 minutes

Notes: Use the breathing squat technique

B. Lower Back Combo

1. Good morning (rounded back)

2. Stiff legged deadlift (chest up/flat back)

3. Stiff legged, Rounded Back Deadlift (same as number 2, but the back is rounded)

Warm up: 1 x 6 + 1 x 6 + 1 x 6

Work set: 1 x 6 + 1 x 6 + 1 x 6

Rest Period: 10 seconds only between sets; 2-3 minutes between warm up and work set

C. King Deadlift (Single leg stiff legged deadlift, bodyweight only)

Workout 4

A-1. Shoulder Press (Wide grip on bar, seated, behind neck)

Rest Period: Take 3 minutes, then do a set of chin-ups
A-2. Chin Ups (Medium grip)

Warm up: 1 x 10, 1 x 8 (using lat pulldown)

Notes: Hopefully use external load in at least the 2 x 5-6 work sets; maybe use the lat pulldown bar for the 15-20 rep set.

B. Barbell Biceps Curls (Straight bar, standing, medium grip)

Work set: 1 x 6-8, 1 x 15-20

DaveWalton

Awards
This workout is going to be intense. 20 rep squats and deads...****. Lol well the results will likely show.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
with that much food get ready to be force feeding yourself , passing major gas and stomach sticking out fatter than your chest. it'll work though...Ive done it before....its a job getting that much food down everyday. and you ddont feel like it after you do it a while your stomach rgows and it becomes easier. You can get away with 350 protein, 300-500 carbs(depending on how active you are during the day and how much cardio you do) and 100 fat and still grow very nicely. make sure to lift heavy and intense doing this diet or you wont be building optimal muscle. good job with the eating plan now all you have to do is do it. and it'll cost a good $500.00 a month.

a lot of guys get too big of a gut and have trouble getting it off. you dont need that much food..the more body fat you have the harder it'll take to get off so check the stomach in check.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
yeah squats , deads and those compound movements are best for this type of training. iI recommend against bench press. i stopped benching it three years ago because I think its a horrible exercise , esp for taller people and causes shoulder trouble . once I got to 300 lbs my shoulders hurt and I have long arms. shorter arm people might can benefit from it. i know it minimally works my chest and hits my front delts alot. just not for me you being an ecto with long arms bench may not be the best exercise for optimal chest building id try something else like hammer strength or chest machine, incline,barbell, incline smith, flat db, incline db; your gonna do what you do though bests of luck.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thats the spirit!

I will say that if I do cardio, I will never get gains. You should cutting it out if you haven't already. I bulk in the beginning of winter, and cut at the end. (hibernation fat)
when you start getting bigger just walking a couple times a week is fine on the treadmill for 15-20 minutes . Trust me the bigger you get youll get sluggish harder to move , out of breath easier carrying all the weight around and if you dont have a job you move around alot at do cardio a couple times a week for health and for moving better.

you eating all this food(if you do) its a big chore and costs a lot of money you have no choice to put on weight(muscle and fat) unless your thyroid is screwed which I bet you its in the normal ranges, maybe a bit fast. after you gain the weight it'll slow down. you'll see what i mean after you gain the body fat in addition with the muscle.

DaveWalton

Awards
Tough Workout.

WOW. Today was my first day on the program. Leg day was intense. I don't think I've ever had such a hard workout. I've done 20 rep squats once before (not properly) but doing 2 sets of 20 and at the slower tempo was ridiculous. I took about 7 minutes between the first and second set and approaching the second set I just wanted to die lol knowing the pain that was coming.

The lunges weren't bad although I didn't use enough weight (never done lunges before). I held 40s in each hand but that wasn't enough.

Single leg squats were tough and after lunges and the squats I was only able to bust out 13 per leg.

Walking home after this workout on the snowy/icey roads was not such a good idea lol. LOVE the workout though felt great after.

Squats:
Warm up 1 - Bar - 20
Warm up 2 - 95 - 10
Set 1 - 175 - 20 (at the 311 tempo)
Set 2 - 175 - 20 (311 tempo)

Lunges
warm up - BW (never done before so I wasn't sure)
Working set 1 - 20 (10 per leg) with 40s in each hand

Single leg squats - BW - 12 per leg

Ultimately, great workout and can't wait to hit chest tomorrow.

Currently weighing in at 211 (although I just drank a glass of water and ate 2 hours ago...will get a real sense of weight tomorrow morning when I get up).

Cheers!

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
20 reps are pretty nasty. thundergod i think has convinced me to give them a try.

DaveWalton

Awards
20 reps are pretty nasty. thundergod i think has convinced me to give them a try.
Yeah it'll be a love/hate relationship. I think you'll start to dread them but I can see how they get you swole.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was once like you. okay now that your training(note not working out) this is where the food and rest come into play.

DaveWalton

Awards
I was once like you. okay now that your training(note not working out) this is where the food and rest come into play.
Yup I keep reminding myself that to get big you need to eat big and that you are what you eat.

DaveWalton

Awards
Today's workout was alright. It was a bit annoying having to find the correct weights and my intensity wasn't the best plus there were times when I took too long between sets. Definitely room for improvement and not completely happy with the workout. Next week I will be focusing on high intensity now that I have my weights down and making sure rests are perfect.

As for the workout:

A-1. Bench Press - not bad considering I haven't barbell benched in over 6 months.

Warm up: 1 x 10 (95 - should bump up to 115), 1 x 8 (105- should bump up to 125)

Work set: 2 x 5-6 (215), 1 x 10-12 (195), 1 x 15-20 (155)
The slow tempo is a bit killer.

Warm up: 1 x 10 (55), 1 x 8 (65)

Work set: 2 x 5-6 (145), 1 x 10-12 (105- should bump up to 125), 1 x 15-20 (85- should bump to 95)

Work set: 2 x 5-6 (BW +25), 1 x 8 (BW + 15), 1 x 15 (bench dips)

Can't wait to do this workout with the proper weights and intensity.

orbitron3000

orbitron3000

Awards
  • Established
this is really interesting to me, because i too am an ectomorph, and have found it difficult to gain muscle, and therefore weight (i don't want to gain fat weight) over the past several years. this'll be interesting to keep up with. Sub'd!

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
hey man sorry i havent been by in awhile glad to see your progressing thats good so keep it up and sorry i didnt get to respond to your post to me earlier post #11. Ya gaining the 20lbs felt gret to accomplish my goal and even better cause i love to eat. Now sadly its time to cut off the fat and i couldnt be exact with how much of it is fat cause i still have slight ab definition which is pretty nice id say atleast 5 or 6lbs is fat the rest is muscle cause its ridiculous how much bigger i am just eating properly!! and training properly and very instensely im so happy for myself, and once your done you will understand and also feel the way i did knowing you accomplished your goal. As for the running well in general i hate running lol i dread it more than anything i never ran during my bulk i would just do face paced walks and walk for about 10 mins before my workouts and 5-10 after my workouts depending on how exhausted i am but it all depends on your metabolism mine is extremely fast so it suxs man but good luck to you and keep it up bud

DaveWalton

Awards
Back with a useful post!

Sorry to have let anyone down who may have been following my progress. I decided to give up the workout as I honestly really didn't enjoy it. I'm sure it will have helped me to progress and gain quality mass, but I truly didn't enjoy doing it.

For the first two weeks of January I was in Cuba (yay). I did a few full-body workouts while I was there, but the food was terrible (and it was a 4-star!) and I had diarrhea the last few days. The weight I did lose has been gained by doing full body workouts up until today, which my body seems to respond to nicely. I'm currently at about 208 in the morning on an empty stomach.

I know a few of you that have been following this log are hardgainers, and growing tired of my recent full-body workout, I very luckily stumbled across this workout and I thought I'd share it. I will be starting it tomorrow!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEAN BULK "HARDGAINER’S" RECOMP WORKOUT

Basic Split:

Monday: Tension 1: Upper Body PUSH + Lower Body QUAD-DOMINANT
Tuesday: Tension 2: Upper Body PULL + Lower Body HAM-DOMINANT
Wednesday: OFF
Thursday: Metabolic Series Set
Friday: Ancillary Circuits
Saturday: OFF
Sunday: OFF

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday: Tension Workout 1

Part A: Upper Body – PUSH

1. Overhead Press (90 degree angle)
2. Incline Bench (45 degree angle)
3. Incline Bench (20-30 degree angle)
4. Flat Bench (0 degree angle)
5. Dips (Weighted)

 Upper Body Notes: Exercises 1-4 should be performed at ONLY 2 sets each with approximately 85% 1RM used in the first set and approximately 65% 1RM used in the second set. You should be able to obtain 5-6 reps with the first set and 8-12 reps with the second set. Only includes work sets. Exercise 5 should be performed at 50% 1RM to failure. The entire upper-body push workout should only be comprised of 9 working sets.

Part B: Lower Body – QUAD-DOMINANT

1. Front Squat
2. Back Squat
3. Lunge

 Lower Body Notes: Exercises 1-2 should be performed at ONLY 2 sets each with approximately 85% 1RM used in the first set and approximately 65% 1RM used in the second set. You should be able to obtain 8-10 reps with first set and 12-15 reps with the second set. Only includes work sets. Exercise 3 should be performed at 50% 1RM to failure. The entire lower-body quad dominant workout should only be comprised of 5 working sets.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday: Tension Workout 2

Part A: Upper Body – PULL

1. Pull-Up (Pronated-Grip; Weighted)
2. Upright Rows
3. Bent-Over Row
4. T-Bar Row
5. Chin-Up (Supinated Grip; Weighted)

 Upper Body Notes: Exercises 1-4 should be performed at ONLY 2 sets each with approximately 85% 1RM used in the first set and approximately 65% 1RM used in the second set. You should be able to obtain 5-6 reps with the first set and 8-12 reps with the second set. Only includes work sets. Exercise 5 should be performed at 50% 1RM to failure. The entire upper-body pull workout should only be comprised of 9 working sets.

Part B: Lower Body – HAM-DOMINANT

1. Good Morning
2. Deadlift
3. Hyperextension (Weighted)

 Lower Body Notes: Exercises 1-2 should be performed at ONLY 2 sets each with approximately 85% 1RM used in the first set and approximately 65% 1RM used in the second set. You should be able to obtain 8-10 reps with first set and 12-15 reps with the second set. Only includes work sets. Exercise 3 should be performed at 50% 1RM to failure. The entire lower-body ham dominant workout should only be comprised of 5 working sets.

Wednesday: OFF

Thursday: Metabolic Series

1. Pull-Ups (un-weighted)
2. Jump Squats (goal: 135 lbs.)
3. Power Push-Ups (un-weighted)
4. Barbell Pull-Press (goal: 135 lbs.)
5. Hang Power-Clean (goal: 135 lbs.)
6. Chin-Ups (un-weighted)

 Metabolic Series Notes: Start with 3 sets completely through this series in rapid fashion, aiming for 20 reps each and a mere 2 minutes rest at the completion of each series. In other words, perform one series, rest for 2 minutes, perform another series, rest for 2 minutes, and perform your last series. When you can accomplish this with ease, add one additional series until you can accomplish 5 series through. Once you can accomplish 5 complete series at 20 reps without vomiting at all the suggested goals – you have reached max achievement on this training protocol.

Friday: Ancillary Circuits

Part A: Forearms:

1. Forward Curls
2. Reverse Curls
3. Hammer Curls

20 reps each in rapid succession. Repeat twice through this circuit.

Part B: Calves

1. Standing Calf Raises
2. Seated Calf Raises
3. Plate Drags

20 reps each in rapid succession. A “Plate Drag” is a forward push of a designated weight on the ground to center forces on the tibialis anterior…a “rep” in this regard approximates one full push at the knee. Repeat twice through this circuit.

Part C: Abs

1. Decline Sit Up
2. Roman Chair Leg Raise
3. Russian Twist (weighted)
4. Suitcase Deadlifts

20 reps each in rapid succession. Repeat twice through this circuit.

http://www.*************/forum/articles/2189-lean-bulk-hardgainers-recomp-workout.html

Totally stoked to start it up...oh yeah and supps include:

multi
creatine
universal animal test (just bought)
protein powder
FOOD