Rodja's training with the panzer bjorn log

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Murphy has struck again. My hand is going to keep me out of commission for a few weeks. It is not a bad injury, but I am approaching it with caution since I have broken this metacarpal 2x before.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

2. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Murphy has struck again. My hand is going to keep me out of commission for a few weeks. It is not a bad injury, but I am approaching it with caution since I have broken this metacarpal 2x before.
    Ouch, sorry to hear that. Hope it heals well.

What are you going to do with training in the mean time? Just cardio and kicking? Are you going to go through with the original fight?
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by RobInKuwait View Post
    Ouch, sorry to hear that. Hope it heals well.

What are you going to do with training in the mean time? Just cardio and kicking? Are you going to go through with the original fight?
    I am still going to take the fight because I should be ready to resume full-contact in 3 weeks. In the meantime, I am going to work on my conditioning and can still lift, it's just striking that puts my hand at greater risk for another break. I can still work mitts, but just avoid contact with my right hand while I focus on my footwork for my punches, kicks, and my shot.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

4. Today comes the test for my hand. Swelling is completely gone and I can clinch my fist pretty tightly without any pain. I am going to keep a tight wrap on it while I am lifting and during practice as a precaution.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

5. 12/22-Triceps/Delts, BJJ
    Smith Close-Grip-225x10, 245x8, 255x5
    Standing Military Press-125x12, 135x10
    Lying Extensions/Seated Laterals-85x10, 95x10/35x15, 40x10
    Pressdowns/Face-Pulls-180x12, 190x12, 200x10/3x140x15
    Leaning Overhead Rope Ex-60x10

DC Stretches

Strength was much, much higher than I expected. I hit a PR on close-grip and had a solid M-M connection and pump. I really felt good throughout the entire session and my hand didn't have any trouble with grip and zero pain.

BJJ

I decided not to go into striking immediately and continue to work on my BJJ. I basically worked positions and sweeps instead of going for submissions. There were several places within each roll that I saw a sub, but I went with a catch and release method. The only submission I focused on applying was a triangle, which has always been a weak point in my game (damn thighs). I was able to land a couple of them, but I had to abandon a few and transition to an armbar. I wore handwraps and MMA sparring gloves while I was grappling and there is no pain as of this moment.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

Similar Forum Threads

1. Rodja's Post-Grad Training
    By Rodja in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 141
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 05:54 PM
  2. Rodja's Training Log
    By Rodja in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 06-12-2009, 11:26 PM
  3. Rodja's XF Log-Rd 3 ETA: 8/10
    By Rodja in forum Supplement Logs