Sunclouds Training Log - Maximizing GH

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
so after working out 5x a week, i've noticed that i've gotten bigger, but my "functional strength" has dropped. yes, i can bench more, i can curl more, but i can't just reach down and pick up a running kid anymore without their momentum screwing me up. so for the next 2-3 months, i am going to do total body workouts, while adding in a few isolations to make sure some areas don't shrink (rear tri's, rear delts, side delts, calves, etc).

i am embarrassed to say this, but my calves are non existent as it is. they look like chicken legs. anyways, here's the plan:

total body workouts every other day. i have made three workouts i will rotate from. my diet is dead on as far as caloric needs and healthy foods, but not dead on as far as timing relates. due to a retarded amount of stress i have (family issues) i can't seem to eat before 2pm. i can drink though, so i mix protein into my milk with my first cup of coffee, then sip on milk until i get my appetite back. the first 6 exercises are total body workouts, with the others following it as "maintenance and additional stuff". anyways, here's the workouts:

workout 1:
Squats (ATG)
Pull ups
Deadlift to shrug
Military Press (Hammer)
Push Ups (25 reps / set)
Floor Wiper
Rear Delt Flyes
Cable Upright Rows

workout 2:
Lunges
Bench Press
DB Curl to Arnold Press
Sumo Deadlift to shrug
Overhead Squat
V-Bar Pullup
Blasters (rear tricep)
Donkey Calf Raises

workout 3:
Incline Bench Press
Floor Wipers
Chin Ups
Dips
Upright Row (EZ bar)
The Sled
Bent Over Barbell Row (Overhand)
Seated Neck Harness

i'm going to the gym in a few hours - time to put my workouts online, and hold myself accountable. i should mention that the first two weeks during a total body workout, i go lighter, because they really beat you up fast. from there, its balls to the wall.

incidentally, if anyone is wondering why clean and press isn't listed in my workouts, it is because i tweaked something really bad the last time i did them, and no longer think that workout is my friend.

also, since this is a growth hormone boosting workout, and carbs blunt growth hormone response, my diet is low/moderate carbs, high fat, moderate protein. lastly, again because this workout maximizes GH response, all workouts are supersets / trisets with no breaks.

supplements as follows:
ast multi pro - twice a day
organic flax oil - twice a day
vitamin d pill - twice a day
calcium pill - morning only
MRM metabolic whey - pre / post workout (i respond best to this stuff)
B-12 pill (1000 mcg) - pre workout
and i'm still waiting on my ZMK. i think my friend didn't order it.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
DAY 1 workout 1

bahh... tried not to push myself. didn't happen quite like that. had a small problem at the gym - some schmuck was using the weight belt to do bench press and bench dips. makes doing deadlifts for me much harder. anyways, here goes, supersetted:

squats 4x8 with 225
pull ups 4x8 unweighted
deadlift to shrug 4x8 with 225
military press (hammer strength) 2x8 with 180, 2x8 with 160

push ups 4x25 unweighted
floor wipers 4x8 with 135
rear delt DB flyes 3x10 with 25
cable upright rows 3x10 with 80

seated neck harness 3x10 with 45
close grip bench 3x10 with 155

i'm going to be sore tomorrow. really sore. hopefully i can get some pics up, in case i make any progress. my goal in all this is to improve functional strength and hopefully put on 5 pounds overall in the next two months. will see. and i'll have to weigh myself tomorrow. really hoping my friend will come through with the ZMK as i'm still waiting on my credit card. also hoping to regulate my eating and sleep habits from this. stress sucks.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good log so far. Just curious how many carbs are you putting down after you workout each day roughly? I think you know what your doing in that area in regards to GH but just curious.

Also only other thing is why are you doing this for 8-12 weeks? I think you should go 4 weeks, then reevaluate. In my experience a change is needed at least every 6 weeks.

Btw what are floor wipers?

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
the hardest thing about this workout is the lack of carbs post workout. since carbs blunt GH response, i have to get most of my carbs in before i lift. i'm toying with the idea of a pre workout shake with carbs, since i'll use the energy during the workout, but i'm a little leery of doing this. what are your thoughts on this, since they'll theoretically be out of my system by the time i'm done with the gym (if they're fast digesting carbs)? this is the only area of nutrition i am absolutely clueless about. since carbs post workout is a big no no, i'm running MRM's metabolic whey - 22g of protein, 2g of sugar.

the reason behind doing this for 8-12 weeks is to make measured progress that someone can look at and say "wow, it works". also, since the workouts are varied it should take that long for my body to figure it out. most workouts of this style have the same exercises 3x a week, and by the time a month has rolled by, your gains are slowing down.

floor wipes are a really weird exercise. you lay on a bench, pick up 135 lbs like you are going to do bench presses, but do leg raises to the bar instead. its hell on the stabilizer muscles, and really beats your abs down. i think there's a video of it on youtube.

for the compound movements, i do 4 sets of 6-10 reps. once i get up to 10 reps, i add a 2.5 plate per side, and aim for 6-8 reps. this should keep the GH working for me, until month 3 when my CNS gets fried. tomorrow i will post up an pic and my measurements.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
the hardest thing about this workout is the lack of carbs post workout. since carbs blunt GH response, i have to get most of my carbs in before i lift. i'm toying with the idea of a pre workout shake with carbs, since i'll use the energy during the workout, but i'm a little leery of doing this. what are your thoughts on this, since they'll theoretically be out of my system by the time i'm done with the gym (if they're fast digesting carbs)? this is the only area of nutrition i am absolutely clueless about. since carbs post workout is a big no no, i'm running MRM's metabolic whey - 22g of protein, 2g of sugar.

the reason behind doing this for 8-12 weeks is to make measured progress that someone can look at and say "wow, it works". also, since the workouts are varied it should take that long for my body to figure it out. most workouts of this style have the same exercises 3x a week, and by the time a month has rolled by, your gains are slowing down.

floor wipes are a really weird exercise. you lay on a bench, pick up 135 lbs like you are going to do bench presses, but do leg raises to the bar instead. its hell on the stabilizer muscles, and really beats your abs down. i think there's a video of it on youtube.

for the compound movements, i do 4 sets of 6-10 reps. once i get up to 10 reps, i add a 2.5 plate per side, and aim for 6-8 reps. this should keep the GH working for me, until month 3 when my CNS gets fried. tomorrow i will post up an pic and my measurements.
I guess that depends on how you define pre-workout. I think for any macro nutrient to move through the GI tract it takes something like 2-2.5 hours. So the earlier you consume the carbs the better to avoid that insulin response.

As a suggestion arginine supplementation pre-bed (empty stomach if possible) would also improve your attempt to boost GH naturally.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
will look into picking up some arginine. thanks for the input royd. GH workouts spike GH release up to 48 hours post workout. so light carbs on non workout days, and go crazy (if you want) on carbs pre workout only, since the GH would respike after the workout. thats what i gather. i think i'll experiment with carbs pre workout and see what happens. my energy was a little low working out today. felt like crashing about 3/4 way through.

i'll have those pictures up tomorrow. now if only i could find my USB cable...

colkurtz_spf

colkurtz_spf

The horror
Awards
  • Established

You have a great workout. I wouldn't worry about post-workout carbs. There's a synergy between insulin and GH; they create an anabolic state. I'm not sure that protein is enough to reverse the catabolic state your in after a workout like that. I think that avoiding pre-workout carbs will help you burn off glycogen and give you the GH response you seek. Post work out carbs will restore glycogen levels and help you mend the damage.

Just my humble opinion.

colkurtz_spf

colkurtz_spf

The horror
Awards
  • Established
I guess that depends on how you define pre-workout. I think for any macro nutrient to move through the GI tract it takes something like 2-2.5 hours. So the earlier you consume the carbs the better to avoid that insulin response.

As a suggestion arginine supplementation pre-bed (empty stomach if possible) would also improve your attempt to boost GH naturally.
Supposedly the combination of arginine and lysine works best. I've been using DS No Limits pre-workout and can feel it.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
guys, thanks for your response. i will definitely add a pre workout shake to thursdays workout. hopefully my appetite will regain itself in the next few days and i can go back to 5 eggs for breakfast. them were the days.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
man. i feel like i got hit by a frikken train. my back is torn to pieces. hopefully the sauna will loosen it up a bit.

went to the gym today (to loosen things up), did squats with the bar, bent over rows with the bar, and shrugs with 20 lb DB's. between that, the sauna, and the hot tub, i feel almost normal.

quick things i should mention here. i am an ectomorph, i will always be one. gaining any amount of weight is a good thing for me. in 2005, i was 126 lbs. today, i'm at 180 flat. i have a few issues that will always affect my growth: small wrists (6.5 inches each side), and a narrow bone structure. my frame cannot support much more weight, as you can probably tell from the picture that follows. although i look like i'm a good size, picture me having a mini frame - 29 inch waist. realistically, i can get up to 190 (i'm guessing here) before my frame is maxed out. here's the measurements, followed by a pic. as you can see, even with small arms, they look big on my frame. sadness...

arms
L - 14
R - 13 7/8

forearms
L - 11 1/4
R - 11 1/2

waist
29 1/2

chest 38 7/8

shoulder girdle
46 1/2

thighs
L - 21 7/8
R - 22 1/8

calves (laugh it up chuckles)
L - 13
R - 13

and yes, i realize my arms are bigger than my calves. bleh.

my goal in this workout, is to drop 1-2% body fat, so i'm back down to 9-10%, and to gain 5 pounds of muscle in the process. essentially, gain 5 pounds of muscle while cutting. gotta love GH. i'd also like to increase functional strength - not so much strength in the gym, but to make the countless things we do outside the gym so much easier.

extra good news. i might have a training partner for one day a week. he's an ecto too. 5'11" 143 lbs. will see if i can make him a monster (if he doesn't bail on me). will upload his pics if he shows up on monday's workout.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
after two weeks of not being able to eat solid food in the morning, my appetite is climbing back. had three eggs so far + about 80g of carbs. i must say that 40 hours of limiting carbs has wreaked havoc on my system. i have a raging headache right now, don't know if i can attribute it to lack of carbs or not. i'm carbing up right now (10am ish) and will continue carbing up till noon, so when i work out at 1, i'll not only have energy, but also i'll respike my GH levels for another 40+ hours. still a little sore in the upper back, but i'll train lighter today.

i was pretty sure if i worked out hard on day 1 this would happen, but its so frikken hard for me to train light - i feel like a schmuck when i don't push myself hard. GH workouts are about compound movements and speed. i'm trying to find weights heavy enough so that maybe some testosterone will kick in as well, while keeping the weights light enough i can still superset and work without breaks.

regardless of the headache, i will work out today, and keep this log going in the right direction.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
day 3 workout 2.

went to my new gym today. realized that even though they had all this nifty hammer strength stuff, there was no deadlift platform, and one squat rack. funny how you don't notice these things, until the only one there is in use, and you think "how in the heck am i going to keep the intensity up?" anyways, workout sucked (light weights after last time, and had to wait for equipment), but here we go.

lunges 4x10 with 30 lbs
db curl to arnold press 4x10 with 30 lbs
bench press 4x10 with 185 lbs
sumo deadlift (squat rack in use) 4x10 with 205 lbs
blasters (rear tri) 4x10 with 80 lbs
barbell curl 2x10 with 70 lbs
reverse grip preacher curl 2x10 with 55 lbs
donkey calf raises 2x10 with 90 lbs
overhead squat 4x8 with 95 lbs
v-bar pullup 2x10 unweighted, 2x10 with 20 lbs

thoughts: if i can't get back into my old gym, this workout is not going to happen. i lost about 1/2 my motivation, when i saw that damned squat rack in use, and i finished all my sets, and still had to wait for the guy to finish. by then someone was sitting down waiting his turn to use it. so i had to wait about 15 minutes after i was done with everything else. supersetted it with the v-bar pull up, because again, there's no other place to hand the darned thing except on the squat rack. bleh. GH works by compound movements and speed, so this not good.

thank god i ate carbs today though. headache went away soon after i started eating more of them. fairly good energy at the gym, didn't really crash. now i'm limiting my carbs for the next 40ish hours. maybe i'm limiting them too much? i'm at about 100g of carbs a day (can that cause headaches?). then, and yes i am a calorie junkie, i took in about 300g of carbs 2 hrs prior to workout.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
lats still hurt from yesterday - should be ok by tomorrow. fyi, sumo deadifts tear up the inside of your thighs. something also hurts between my left pec and my rib - maybe the serratus. hitting them again tomorrow. hopefully at my old gym. will see what happens.

did some research, i can have some low GI carbs post workout and on non training days. but they all seem to be beans. eww. wonder if i should find some good recipes. this carb depletion thing is really hard.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
vague headache today - i can with 90% certainty attribute it to lack of carbs. Had 4 eggs for breakfast so far, with additional 200g of carbs. headache is backing off slowly. will hit one of the gyms probably around 2-3pm. also going to adjust my workout a bit, keeping all the best compound movements, and taking out some of the isolation (maintenance) movements - my heart rate slows down too much for my liking.

day 5 workout 3

lots of stress in my life, nothing new really. had a pretty decent workout though. supersets as follows

incline bench 4x10 with 175
floor wipers 4x10 with 135
chin ups 4x10 BW plus 25
dips 4x10 BW plus 50
upright row 4x10 with 80
sled 4x10 with 500
bent over rows 2x10 with 80
seated neck harness 2x10 with 45

felt really good upon leaving. heart rate jacked pretty high (150's). in and out in 35 minutes including warm up. this is the speed i'm trying to maintain, though if i can cut down to 30 flat, it will be even better. so there's the short term goal. long term goal is to add those silly 2.5's to each side every couple weeks. i'm definitely feeling more confident about myself in general now.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Is there a link where I can read about this GH workout? Sounds interesting. I am also changing my goals where I'd like more endurance and functional strength. Size was really cool and all, and I'd love to be 200+ pounds again (lost a lot of size due to injuries), but in the long run, that is going to hurt me, so I figured if I stay between 175-190, then I can enjoy more athletic activities.

Also, for PWO carbs, grind up some oats in your shake.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
Keep it up man. How tall are you?
5'9"

i have tons of information (6 pages) about Growth Hormone in Jpeg format. for some reason, when i post it on to photobucket, its too small to read when i copy the link. i've got all the information though in transmittable format, so i can email them to anyone interested, if you PM me with your email address. and i can't PWO any carbs. sucks. though i hear beans are ok since they don't spike insulin levels. the problem is i don't like them much. maybe i should try them out anyways. bleh..

THEGEEZ

THEGEEZ

Awards
  • Established
this looks very interestin brotha ... i am def subb to this 1..

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
day 8 workout 2 (yesterdays workout)

been busy. did day 6's workout on my total gym at home - not quite the same, but better than not making it to the gym. anyways, here's day 8's workout, supersetted

Lunges 4x10 with 35 db's
Bench Press 4x10 with 185 lbs
DB Curl to Arnold Press 3x10 with 30's, 1x8 with 35's
Sumo Deadlift to shrug 4x10 with 205
Overhead Squat 4x10 with 100 lbs
V-Bar Pullup 2x10 with 10 lbs, 2x10 with 20 lbs
Blasters (rear tricep) 2x10 with 80 lbs
Donkey Calf Raises 2x10 with 90 lbs

thoughts. workout partner flaked. go figure. need to get back into the old gym, time now. other than that, everything was ok. pulse at 158 post workout. pretty happy about it so far. muscles beginning to feel like they're working together better. picked up the kids after the workout (girl is 5 and 35 lbs, son is 3 and 37 lbs) and curled to arnold pressed them. that made their day.