Eating After HIIT w/ Weights..... Timing????

R

Reese

Awards
I have completely changed my physique and owe it all to a few guys on here. Well, on a typical weight day i will do a mixture of two body parts with 3-5 excersizes each. Then will immediately do 20 min or so HIIT session. I always eat directly after I am done(stretch and eat basically). My main question is, should I wait???.... Possibly if I wait to eat 20-30 min or 45-60 min, will the HIIT have a better impact????? Any response/Opinion is appreciated.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
HIIT is based on EPOC for caloric expenditure throughout the day. Eat when ever is most convenient to you following your workout (as long as its within the hour after training, although I would say the 25 min would be my preference, you will be fine shifting your body away from catabolism).

M

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
just started training the same way....i eat right after a shower after the cardio. OCC is right, it extends the calorie burning into the day, so its impact isn't right away anyway! Eat away!

swankinrosco

swankinrosco

Awards
I have completely changed my physique and owe it all to a few guys on here. Well, on a typical weight day i will do a mixture of two body parts with 3-5 excersizes each. Then will immediately do 20 min or so HIIT session. I always eat directly after I am done(stretch and eat basically). My main question is, should I wait???.... Possibly if I wait to eat 20-30 min or 45-60 min, will the HIIT have a better impact????? Any response/Opinion is appreciated.

i've always been told to separate cardio and weight lifting, you have been told to do HIIT immediately AFTER lifting ??

can anyone explain why I may have heard this is NOT a good thing?

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I vaguely recall Layne Norton talking about a Pro/Fat meal after cardio to keep your body burning fat, but can't remember the details.

Personally I sip on BCAA's/Glutamine/Leucine during my workout and have a solid meal w/ almost no fats right afterwards.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
i've always been told to separate cardio and weight lifting, you have been told to do HIIT immediately AFTER lifting ??

can anyone explain why I may have heard this is NOT a good thing?
i've heard the same thing. i'd really like to figure this one out

O

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I eat 2-3 hours later, usually alot of fatty beef with rice, washed down with lactose free full fat milk with isopure dutch choclate low carb.

R

Reese

Awards
i've heard the same thing. i'd really like to figure this one out

If you have the time to do two separate training sessions in one day, then it is probably preferred. Doing HIIT after weights is much better than doing HIIT before weights.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Everything I know from my years of training as a personal trainer, and in my own life experience is that cardio is best done after weights if they have to be done together. You benefit from already having used up quite a bit of blood sugar, so you are more likely to partition from fat for energy at that point. With HIIT training either taking in some BCAAs before or just after would be beneficial in avoiding a catabolic state. Really you should treat a HIIT session almost like a weight training session as the stress on the muscles and CNS are easily equal to a weight training session. You have to get some food in there to keep the cortisol from eating you up. I wouldn't eat a big post workout meal if you did only cardio but if you are lifting to go for the gusto, get your nutrients in immediately your body definitely needs them. All things being said the sooner in the day you elevate your metabolism via cardio or weight lifting, the longer it is elevated through out the day ='s more calories burnt, so early cardio / exercise is most beneficial in weight loss efforts. I have read a lot of different studies on the subject and almost all forms of cardio end up equalling out at the end of the day as far as fat burning goes. The big difference is the amount of time spent on the actuall work being done. HIIT provides more cardiovascular benefits, and can improve your lipid profiles, improves the bodies ability to clear lactic acid and is great if you do any type of explosive competitive sports. Steady state aerobics take longer and bore the crap out of me unless I want to do some reading.

HIIT is definitely my favorite, as it allows me to push myself further and harder. Every interval is a new test of my will to finish. It also strengthens your heart quite a bit and radically increases your MaxVo2 (amount of oxygen your blood can carry to the muscles) as well as saving me an extra 10-20 minutes of my day for other things.