Cellulite problem

FitModel

FitModel

Awards
  • Established
This is a problem my sister is incurring so i'm trying to offer her some help.

she's 26 years old, 5'6" 130lbs pretty fit, eats very clean (most of the time) no soda or fast food, very little junk food/sweets

I'd estimate her bf somewhere between 12 - 15 % (i'm not that great on estimating girls bf...I recently did the hydrostatic test and got 6.3% !! that's without even trying so we have pretty good/lean genetics)

recently she claims is the first time she has ever noticed cellulite occurring on her body, I'm assuming it's in the usual places such as gluts and hams...however she isn't gaining any weight, which is the mystery as to why it's developing

anyways, I've just prescribed that she needs to increase her cardio and eat better, however she doesn't think that will help

what's is the best way to deal with cellulite, and specific methods?

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Cellulite isn't caused from excess weight, it's genetic.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
There's a whole slew of treatments at spas and stuff too... massage, creams, ultrasound... all of which have varying levels of effectiveness - then there is always lipo if it bothers her that much.

Exercise, both cardio and resistance training, can reduce the visibility - but it is genetic... and it will still be there.

FitModel

FitModel

Awards
  • Established
correction bf is estimated at somewhere between 17 - 20 ... location is from on thigh (quad) all the way to the knee, and a little on arms...

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
IIRC, and I am male and no expert on cellulite, part of the cause of it is poor lymph node drainage (that's where massage may come in handy), and when you mentioned the arm areas, from what I once read that could be an indication of an underactive thyroid.

Those are just two things that occurred to me, female weight loss is NOT an area I am well-versed in, I just wanted to share that since nobody else mentioned those things....

FitModel

FitModel

Awards
  • Established
IIRC, and I am male and no expert on cellulite, part of the cause of it is poor lymph node drainage (that's where massage may come in handy), and when you mentioned the arm areas, from what I once read that could be an indication of an underactive thyroid.

Those are just two things that occurred to me, female weight loss is NOT an area I am well-versed in, I just wanted to share that since nobody else mentioned those things....

can anyone elaborate on this, or any idea's what would cause an under active thyroid?

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
FitModel--

I spent a little while playing w/Google and the only definitive thing that may relate to the upper arm-thyroid factor is from this page, which has some strange theories (strange to me at least, however I am no expert).

I will also email my brother about your questions, he's a doctor fresh out of medical school 2 years ago and he knows all kinds of strange little facts.

LINK:

http://diexsolutions.com/dev12/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=65&Itemid=59

SNIPPED:

"Most people who need dental work are fat-around-the-middle obese or have upper-arm flab (the waving muscle). Flab is evidence of stress dominance (triggered by dropping blood sugar subsequent to insulin surges) which creates the hormonal and biochemical shift to: headache, tooth decay, gum disease, sinusitis, diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke and senescence. Key concept is insulin resistance. Chronically elevated insulin is due to high carbohydrate or any high caloric intake plus inefficient detoxification. Cell membranes become resistant to insulin. Diminished energy and increased inflammation ensues.

This altered metabolism (syndrome X) in its new "steady state" enhances inflammatory cysts seen in acne, painful teething, fibrocystic breast disease, polycystic ovary, kidney and liver cysts. Insulin triggered blood sugar declines cause excessive and inappropriately timed cortisol release. Elevated cortisol causes more and more active thyroid hormone to be formed in its ineffective reverse form, reducing thyroid activity.

Low thyroid activity diminishes immunity, creates stress, and makes one apathetic, cold and sluggish. Procarcinogenic estrogens dominate over progesterone, further diminishing thyroid activity. Inappropriate nighttime cortisol production diminishes growth hormone release, the pituitary’s clock-setting master anti-aging (growth and repair) hormone."