how do you all treat HIIT in terms of pre/post workout nutriton

bj22

Awards
I know I should be taking carbs and protein before and after. What sources are best for pre and post and how much carbs are necessary? Is whey and leucine a good idea for postworkout? What about fruit at either time?

I am doing a TKD with all my carbs around my lifting sessions and was wondering if I should treat the HIIT sessions similarly to my lifting days. I couldn't find much in the way of information on this so any advice is appreciated.

Timmo

Timmo

Awards
If you do cardio on your off days I would do it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and drink a whey shake and some bcaa before to help preserve muscle, I would hold off on the carbs until post cardio. After your cardio session taking in more whey with the leucine would work well, and you could combine that would some fruit like a banana or two to replenish your glycogen. If you dont do it first thing in the morning I would limit the carbs pre cardio, whatever you eat carb wise before cardio your body will generally use for energy before using your fat stores.

bj22

Awards
I am done with my cut. I just want to transition slowly back to a normal diet. I have been on the AD for a few months now. I am doing a TKD with ~70-80 carbs around my workouts and 1 carb up day of about ~250 carbs. I am with you on your cardio plan normally when going for weightloss, but I wanted to start back with HIIT while I get back to bulking for holding off fatloss. It just seems like a good idea to sandwich the session with carbs/protein similar to a lifting session, albeit maybe slightly less carbs like ~60 all together. What do ya think?

bj22

Awards
I think my plan is going to be oats, berries, cottage cheese pre-lift and a shake of whey/leucine/skim milk/banana for post lift. Then for my weekly HIIT session apple with pb and some kind of meat pre-HIIT and Basmati rice and a whey shake for post-HIIT. I might add a second weekly HIIT session in the upcoming weeks to replace a steady-state cardio session. My carb ups will be made up of strictly oats, whole grains, potatoes and beans to bump my muscle glycogen stores so I can have good workouts all week while my diet is still relatively restricted.

bj22

Awards
I just realized I accidentally posted this under the weight loss section. If a mod looks at this, would you please move the thread to the nutrition/health section of the board? It is a more appropriate forum for the subject at hand. Thanks.

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
I drink a shake with 1 scoop of whey and 10g BCAA's before my HIIT sessions on the treadmill. I try to get 30g+ protein and 50g+ carbs (with Anabolic Pump, of course) in 30 mins after I'm finished.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I drink a shake with 1 scoop of whey and 10g BCAA's before my HIIT sessions on the treadmill. I try to get 30g+ protein and 50g+ carbs (with Anabolic Pump, of course) in 30 mins after I'm finished.
:goodpost:

I do exactly the same with Spin classes