Alcohol and Ketones

avenue Red

Awards
Im currently on the Metabolic or Anabolic diet. whatever you want to call it. but i do not refeed carbs on weekends im just doing it straight through for about 5 weeks. then a week off and go back on again. I eat about 25g of carbs a day. on a High day. generally try to stick at like 15g. because i have a low carb Monster right as i get out of bed.
My question is. I have been drinking a couple days on this diet. Maybe like 2-3 shots of vodka. and i always drinkin water through the night. last night i had like at least 8. and my ketone strip still says im in ketosis. So whats the deal? does alcohol effect ketones or not?
thank you for any help. very appreciative

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
When alcohol is consumed it will be burned for fuel before anything else is (carbs, fat, protein). So, if you are consuming excessive amounts of it then your body will not be burning ketones for fuel and instead will be burning the alcohol that you ingested. It really isn't smart to drink on any lowered calorie diet since those calories will count against you and besides, if you want to consume extra calories you might as well be giving your body something nutritional. Just my 2 cents.
Right now you are not on the anabolic/metabolic diet. There is a big difference between a straight ketogenic diet and one that cycles carbohydrates. May I ask why no carb up? What is your bf?

avenue Red

Awards
i have no idea my body fat. but im 155 and 5'8 and i think im fat... the carb up thing. i cant afford a gym right now so right now i just run. and do push ups. gonna get a pull up bar. but theres mental things why i havent been working out so hard. Im just doing the diet on mindandmuscle.net
the thing im concerned about is. I know drank some alcohol. but since my body is still producing ketones. doesnt that mean its still going to turn fat into energy once it burns the alcohol?

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
doesnt that mean its still going to turn fat into energy once it burns the alcohol?
alcohol stops ur bodies natural fat-burning process...the more alcohol u ingest the longer it will not be working. are u asking once u get the alcohol out of your system?

check this out
Alcohol and Fat Burning

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
i have no idea my body fat. but im 155 and 5'8 and i think im fat... the carb up thing. i cant afford a gym right now so right now i just run. and do push ups. gonna get a pull up bar. but theres mental things why i havent been working out so hard. Im just doing the diet on mindandmuscle.net
the thing im concerned about is. I know drank some alcohol. but since my body is still producing ketones. doesnt that mean its still going to turn fat into energy once it burns the alcohol?
Yes. But whenever you introduce an alternative energy substrate your body will become less efficient at using the one that has already been set up (burning fat as a main fuel source). Good luck with your cut.

avenue Red

Awards
ok that makes alot of sense
im just gonna cut out alcohol altogether then and just make it easier on myself

KgTomCat

KgTomCat

Awards
  • Established
yea man, even though its hard and ur friends might give u sh!t...its worth it