Cardio on empty stomach

  1. Cardio on empty stomach


    I try to get to the gym early in the morning. I try to do about 30 to 40 minutes of cardio before working out. I am reading that cardio on an empty stomach in the morning is the best way to lose fat. If I do this and bring a protien bar for after cardio, before weights, is that bad/enough for before weight training? I would come back in the afternoon to do weights but the gym is packed and I like to get in and out. Cardio is available though at this time. Any suggestions to make this the most efficient for both in the morning?


  2. cardio in the morning is great. the majority of people as well as myself would recomend not getting overly intense. i would also recomend getting in at least 2 meals before your workout. might make your workout better. another option would be to work out and then cardio right after your workout. glycogen stores will be used for your lifting and glycogen will be depleted for cardio. hope that all makes sense, sorry for the babling on.

  3. Quote Originally Posted by sf9ersfan8 View Post
    cardio in the morning is great. the majority of people as well as myself would recomend not getting overly intense. i would also recomend getting in at least 2 meals before your workout. might make your workout better. another option would be to work out and then cardio right after your workout. glycogen stores will be used for your lifting and glycogen will be depleted for cardio. hope that all makes sense, sorry for the babling on.
    So if I have to get my workout (cardio and lifting) done in the morning before work, then I should eat a little bit, lift, and then do cardio? Don't worry about babling, I'm trying to learn and see what has worked for people.
    •   
       


  4. Quote Originally Posted by austink3417 View Post
    So if I have to get my workout (cardio and lifting) done in the morning before work, then I should eat a little bit, lift, and then do cardio? Don't worry about babling, I'm trying to learn and see what has worked for people.

    yea, and as long as your still losing weight (usually 2 pounds a week) then keep with it. i think if you do your workout first you will have more energy and it will make your workouts feel better.

  5. If I have to do cardio and resistance training at the same time, I prefer to do my cardio on an empty stomach first then pound a shake/bar then lift.

    If I lift then do cardio immediately after, it postpones my PWO shake.

  6. save the cardio for an "off" day. i do my cardio on Wednesday and Sunday. so i have 2 days of lifting (Mon. and Tues.) then one day of cardio, 3 days lifting (Thurs. Fri. and sat.) then one more day of cardio (sun.) i work out in the morning too, so some Saturday's i will run in my neighbor in the morning on an empty stomach then go to the gym after eating breakfast.....to each his own

  7. Dont do cardio on an empty stomache... I used to do it, YOU SHRED MUSCLE, when your body has nothing else to burn off, guess what's your FIRST SOURCE, Yep you guessed it the hard earned muscle, Try to Take a small snack of something, High Glycemic carbs to get your Metabolism rocking for the 20-40 mins of cardio. Something is better then nothing, And just because the Scale is going down, Doesn't mean your loosing FAT.

    You need to burn 3500 FATS CALS TO burn 1Lb of Fat.
    So if you're doing a routine and primarily burning muscle, As you burn that muscle, your METABOLISM is decreasing as well.

    Interesting huh?

    Best Advice, I dont care what anyone says, Heart Rate Monitor, To obtain your Heart Rate Zone, If you stay in your Zone you can shred fat Faster then anything else, But now do remember to switch up your routines from time to time, because no one likes boring cardio :smile:

  8. As long as you don't do TOO much cardio and/or too high intensity, you should not burn muscle. And the order of which you do it all is negligible. Obviously you have less energy for the second activity so you need to prioritize what is more important to you the cardio or the weights. But something in terms of food or nutrients need to be thrown in the mix when doing both.

    And remember, don't do intense cardio on an empty stomach or your body WILL use your muscle for fuel instead of fat.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by MattRoeske View Post
    Dont do cardio on an empty stomache... I used to do it, YOU SHRED MUSCLE, when your body has nothing else to burn off, guess what's your FIRST SOURCE, Yep you guessed it the hard earned muscle, Try to Take a small snack of something, High Glycemic carbs to get your Metabolism rocking for the 20-40 mins of cardio. Something is better then nothing, And just because the Scale is going down, Doesn't mean your loosing FAT.

    You need to burn 3500 FATS CALS TO burn 1Lb of Fat.
    So if you're doing a routine and primarily burning muscle, As you burn that muscle, your METABOLISM is decreasing as well.

    Interesting huh?

    Best Advice, I dont care what anyone says, Heart Rate Monitor, To obtain your Heart Rate Zone, If you stay in your Zone you can shred fat Faster then anything else, But now do remember to switch up your routines from time to time, because no one likes boring cardio :smile:
    I have been doing cardio on an empty stomach 3-4 times a week during my cut. I've been cutting for around 3 months and I haven't noticed any muscle loss. I've gotten stronger in every lift, and my body fat has gone down. Take Xtend when you wake up and take a serving of it during your cardio and you should be fine.

  10. Any studies to support anything you are saying?

    Quote Originally Posted by MattRoeske View Post
    Dont do cardio on an empty stomache... I used to do it, YOU SHRED MUSCLE, when your body has nothing else to burn off, guess what's your FIRST SOURCE, Yep you guessed it the hard earned muscle, Try to Take a small snack of something, High Glycemic carbs to get your Metabolism rocking for the 20-40 mins of cardio. Something is better then nothing, And just because the Scale is going down, Doesn't mean your loosing FAT.

    You need to burn 3500 FATS CALS TO burn 1Lb of Fat.
    So if you're doing a routine and primarily burning muscle, As you burn that muscle, your METABOLISM is decreasing as well.

    Interesting huh?

    Best Advice, I dont care what anyone says, Heart Rate Monitor, To obtain your Heart Rate Zone, If you stay in your Zone you can shred fat Faster then anything else, But now do remember to switch up your routines from time to time, because no one likes boring cardio :smile:
    Armed to the teeth.
  11. Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by MattRoeske View Post
    Dont do cardio on an empty stomache... I used to do it, YOU SHRED MUSCLE, when your body has nothing else to burn off, guess what's your FIRST SOURCE, Yep you guessed it the hard earned muscle, Try to Take a small snack of something, High Glycemic carbs to get your Metabolism rocking for the 20-40 mins of cardio. Something is better then nothing, And just because the Scale is going down, Doesn't mean your loosing FAT.

    You need to burn 3500 FATS CALS TO burn 1Lb of Fat.
    So if you're doing a routine and primarily burning muscle, As you burn that muscle, your METABOLISM is decreasing as well.

    Interesting huh?
    Actually this is not correct. If your diet is overall well balanced and supports muscle retention or is anti-catabolic your will not burn lbm. Actually your body will utilize FFA for fuel in the absence of glycogen when performing low to moderate cardio.

    The use of HI GI carbs before cardio is using sugar and glycogen for energy and not much at all if anything is from fat fuel. When doing empty stomach cardio what you may consider muscle loss may truly be fat that you mistake for muscle mass. There are gyms and boards full of guys thinking they are real big and find out that they really are...just more fat then they thought.
    We live in a time where our planet suffers from two epidemics simultaneously - starvation and obesity.

    Look at all these little kids taking care of the music biz, don't their business take good care of me.

    I have the fire, I have the force, I have the power to make my evil take it's course.

  12. O.K. so this was pissing me off so I've tried to look up as much as possible and here is what I've come up with: There are two ideal times that are most effective in burning fat. One of them being in the morning on an empty stomach. At this time, the body does not have any glycogen (stored carbs) in its system to burn so it goes directly to fat stores to get the energy. Anytime amount of time longer than 40 minutes and you will start to lose muscle.

  13. and B5150
    Heres a simple example of the effectiveness of Heart Rate Training.

    Heart Rate Monitor Training

  14. Quote Originally Posted by MattRoeske View Post
    nparisi in your recommendation of fatloss you explained taking Xtend if you read the ingredients.

    L-Leucine, L-Glutamine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine, Citrulline Malate, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Citric Acid, Acesulfame Potassium, Sucralose, Pyridoxine HCL, Yellow #5, Blue #1

    Aka Sucralose, or FRUIT SUGAR, thus you are training off the fruit sugar which is allowing for metabolism to increase :P
    Uhh, no.

    FRUCTOSE is fruit sugar. Sucralose is the non-nutritive sweetener in Splenda.

  15. I think what you are doing is perfectly fine. In your position, this is what I would do :

    Wake up: Leucine or BCAA's, any stims
    Cardio: at least 30 minutes, low-medium intensity
    Eat whey protein (in shaker) and some fruit (banana, apple, orange etc)
    Stretch for 10 mins or so
    Lift
    Leave and eat a good meal

  16. Quote Originally Posted by lector606 View Post
    I think what you are doing is perfectly fine. In your position, this is what I would do :

    Wake up: Leucine or BCAA's, any stims
    Cardio: at least 30 minutes, low-medium intensity
    Eat whey protein (in shaker) and some fruit (banana, apple, orange etc)
    Stretch for 10 mins or so
    Lift
    Leave and eat a good meal
    sounds like a plan

  17. not metioning names, but thanks for making beginers and morons even dumber!!!
  18. Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by raginfcktard View Post
    not metioning names, but thanks for making beginers and morons even dumber!!!
    Chicken.
    We live in a time where our planet suffers from two epidemics simultaneously - starvation and obesity.

    Look at all these little kids taking care of the music biz, don't their business take good care of me.

    I have the fire, I have the force, I have the power to make my evil take it's course.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by B5150 View Post
    Chicken.
    i thought it was obvious! the sublimital approach tends to get to people more than just smacking them in the face...that is of course assumming that they're not brain dead as well

  20. On my cardio days I'll eat a good breakfast, wait about 2 1/2 hrs, slam a small shake (one scoop of whey), wait another 1 1/2 hrs and then hit cardio. Seems to work well. I don't know if fasted cardio in the morning is really worth the extra effort unless it just fits real good in your schedule. Then I'd probably do it.
  21. Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cannon View Post
    On my cardio days I'll eat a good breakfast, wait about 2 1/2 hrs, slam a small shake (one scoop of whey), wait another 1 1/2 hrs and then hit cardio. Seems to work well. I don't know if fasted cardio in the morning is really worth the extra effort unless it just fits real good in your schedule. Then I'd probably do it.
    $ hous of waiting. That's a lot of waiting. If there is extra effort involved in that then the cardio must be killing you.

    I am up at 4:30-5:00AM...there ain't no waiting. I do more before 8:00AM than I will do with the rest of some days.
    We live in a time where our planet suffers from two epidemics simultaneously - starvation and obesity.

    Look at all these little kids taking care of the music biz, don't their business take good care of me.

    I have the fire, I have the force, I have the power to make my evil take it's course.

  22. Quote Originally Posted by B5150 View Post
    $ hous of waiting. That's a lot of waiting. If there is extra effort involved in that then the cardio must be killing you.

    I am up at 4:30-5:00AM...there ain't no waiting. I do more before 8:00AM than I will do with the rest of some days.
    Me to.

    Can you give me/us a sample training/menu routine of an average day?
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Guerilla Cardio on an empty stomach?
    By JKBB44 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-13-2009, 08:54 PM
  2. cardio in the morning, empty stomach
    By celltech21 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-26-2008, 02:17 PM
  3. About cardio on an empty stomach
    By pegasus in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 08:57 PM
  4. no more cardio on empty stomach
    By Number 5 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-24-2003, 03:15 PM
Log in
Log in