A little help on my cutting. Is salt an issue?

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Hey everyone.

I've read a lot of different feedback on this issue, and was wondering if anyone has some insight.

Here's the deal: I'm a salt freak. I love salt, loads of it in my food. If it doesn't have a lot it seems tasteless to me. Almost addicted really.

I've gone through periods in which I used almost 0 salt on my food for months, but it's just not as good so I always end up coming back to it.

My question is: How bad is my salt intake to my weight loss program?

I've never really had a 6 pack, pretty much never actually, maybe a couple of times when I was in a real low calorie diet, but ever since I started working out and bulking, not anymore (pretty much once I reach 200lbs bye bye 6pack).

Right now I'm trying to cut about 5-15 lbs after a bulking period. I'm at 245lbs, 6'4 as of right now, am running DCP + Leviathan + 6-Bromo + With about 10gs of Flax Seed Oil a day. Also trying out Napalm on topical use.

I have a good nutrition I'd say. My days are almost the same. Whole grain cereal / Oat Meal in the morning, workout, Protein Shake.
Lunch consists in Sweet Potatoes, Brown Rice, Black Beans, Broccoli and Grilled Chicken. Once in a very long while I have a Pasta with Tomato Sauce.
Afternoon snack is a tuna sandwich with another Protein Shake.
Dinner is the same deal as lunch.

I lift 4x a week, do cardio on 2 of the off days - doing interval training for 25-30 minutes and fully rest for one. I also bike to and from work, so thats about 20mins biking everyday as well, when not more. Play the occasional basketball too.

I go out occasionally (couple times a week, one time) and I like to drink. Also would like some suggestion on what the best alcohol would be to try to not gain as much, or any tips on that area as well.

Any critique? Any ideas for why I've been having a hard time? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you guys.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Salt will only effect subQ water retention, not actual fat loss. You can use sea salt, which has a more potent flavor thus needing less.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I'll def. give sea salt a try.

And as far as the subq goes, would it still make me "look" fatter or bloaded up or not?

And thanks for the quick input too.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll def. give sea salt a try.

And as far as the subq goes, would it still make me "look" fatter or bloaded up or not?

And thanks for the quick input too.
It will alter your appearance, but can be balanced out with an increase in water and high potassium foods.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Watter is something also that i have a huge intake. About 2 gallons a day. Not much potassium though, should I add some bananas to the diet?

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
unless you are dieting for a contest i wouldn't worry about it unless there is considerable retention which you should know by now if you are carrying extra water.

bananas are great unless you are low carbin' it!

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I do eat sweet potatoes twice a day and my morning cereal is with yogurt and milk.

Would that be enough?

Also, what kind of alcohol could I be drikning (aka the least bad one).

Thanks again.

Genetic79

Genetic79

Awards
Salt will actually help you keep muscle while you diet. Anyone remember the sodium - potassium pump. Salt is the second best chemical to help transport nutrients next to insulin. it helps with the transfer of creatine, carbs, and aminos. No I'm not saying go crazy with it, cause there is a limit to everything.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I don't really know if i'm carrying extra water or what not, may be a possibility? I've eaten salt for a big part of my life so I'd not know if it has changed.

It's just that I'm trying to figure out what's stopping the weight loss and the 6pack look. Maybe it's the ocasional going out and drinking, at least thats the best I can come up with if it's not for the salt or anything wrong with my diet.

Anyone has input on something I may want to change and see if it works better for me?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't really know if i'm carrying extra water or what not, may be a possibility? I've eaten salt for a big part of my life so I'd not know if it has changed.

It's just that I'm trying to figure out what's stopping the weight loss and the 6pack look. Maybe it's the ocasional going out and drinking, at least thats the best I can come up with if it's not for the salt or anything wrong with my diet.

Anyone has input on something I may want to change and see if it works better for me?
Genetic predisposition also plays a major role in this. I have been at 6% BF before, yet only my top 2 really came in.

(Cheap plug here) A great addition to a fat loss regimen to really bring in those abs and target trouble areas is Napalm.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I heard a lot of good things about napalm and got myself a bottle. It's sitting on my counter just waiting for me to drop a couple pounds before so it really afects mostly the stubborn fat that seems like I'm never able to shred.

Or is it worth "wasting" some of it while I'm still trying to get some of the excess that I only got with my last bulking? Most of the concern there is with the $$ side of it.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I heard a lot of good things about napalm and got myself a bottle. It's sitting on my counter just waiting for me to drop a couple pounds before so it really afects mostly the stubborn fat that seems like I'm never able to shred.

Or is it worth "wasting" some of it while I'm still trying to get some of the excess that I only got with my last bulking? Most of the concern there is with the $$ side of it.
How many more lbs do you need to drop, or are you more concerned with a certain BF%?

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I'm more concerned with BF as I would not want to drop muscle.

My goal would be something on the lines of 230-235lbs with something nearing the 10% BF. But it has to be under 235, even if it means losing out a little muscle wize.

As of now I'm nearing the low 240's but has only started the cutting stage roughly 2-3 weeks ago.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm more concerned with BF as I would not want to drop muscle.

My goal would be something on the lines of 230-235lbs with something nearing the 10% BF. But it has to be under 235, even if it means losing out a little muscle wize.

As of now I'm nearing the low 240's but has only started the cutting stage roughly 2-3 weeks ago.
Continue with the cut for 2-3 more weeks and tighten up the diet more (I know how difficult it is to kick the weekend drinking).

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I'll probably have to do that. At least for a little and focus on this issue at hand. I'll give it a try for the next 3 weeks and see where I stand.

Thanks for all the help again.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You'll know if you have sodium-induced water retention as the lines between your cuts will seem blurry; this is obviously differentiated from adipose, as there would be no cuts there.