Help losing body fat

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.72%

Help losing body fat

Ok, so after trying to find ways around it and being on this website a week, I realize that no matter what I do, I need to change my diet. Everything else is in place, but no matter what I do, I'm not getting to where I want to be. So, I found my BMR to be around 3600 (all activity included). I read that 2 lbs a week is considered safe but like I said I am more interested in bf % then lbs. How much should i cut below my bmr a day and what % of the macros should my diet be broken into. Obviously, I going for the lean muscle type look. I am 5'10, and 230 but by no means would I consider myself fat. Saying that though I was floored to find out my body fat was 18%. I work out and am very active (biking, cardio, and construction in the heat of south florida), so its my diet that's got to go. Any help about the cut in cal, and % of diet will be appreciated.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.29%

A lot of people say they are going to clean their diet out only to find out that they are consuming soda, salad dressings, fruit juices and so on. What is your diet looking like?
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.72%

Quote Originally Posted by Condition1 View Post
    A lot of people say they are going to clean their diet out only to find out that they are consuming soda, salad dressings, fruit juices and so on. What is your diet looking like?
    I'm going to work on it this weekend a lot more but in the mean time, like this morning, i'm eating 4 eggs, two yolks, 2 pieces of bacon, 1 cup of oatmeal w/ 1/4 cup of blueberries. I drink one protein shake a day but am going to up that to two. My real problem is when I go to work and don't bring anything. Like I said, I am going to truely fix it up this weekend. I stay away from fruit juices and sodas and drink only water, crystal light, and budweiser. I've come along way with the beer but still needs a little work. I was going to get some feed back to see how much to cut my intake of calories and what % everything my protein, carb, and fat should be to promote lean muscle. Then, I was going to work on my diet this weekend, post it and get more feedback.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  207 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.75%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Yes i would definately start preparing more food for the day... that used to be my problem too and too be honest if you work construction you probably almost have a higher BMR than that. Construction can be brutal work, i know when i worked landscape construction and was shoveling and throwing stone all day i needed close to 5000 calories just to gain weight
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.72%

just read about velocity diet, any other "diets" anyone knows of?
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.97%

According to Lyle McDoland the max calorie deficit without losing muscle mass is 31 * fat mass. In your case that would be 40*31 = 1244/day. That's 2.48 lbs/week very close to your 2lbs/week. I did the velocity diet it works, but you have to be mentally ready and committed. I've done it three times, lost 17,12 and 10lbs. I still use the Berardi priciples of which it's based, most carbs moring and after workout. I like hot roxx but I've had better success lately with Recreate.

Here is some calcs based on your stats.

LBM FM BF% BMR M C- Act D.Cal

183 40 18.0% 2156 1244 1563 3720
    183 39 17.4% 2147 1198 1556 3703
    183 37 16.9% 2137 1151 1550 3687

I have a killer weightloss spreadsheet with all the calcs if you want it. 3500 cals = one pound it becomes a math game. track your food on fitday for at least 2 weeks so you know whats coming in. BTw, Alchol is the worst thing, more than 2-3 beers and you stop all your progress.

Zguy
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.72%

Quote Originally Posted by Zguy52 View Post
    According to Lyle McDoland the max calorie deficit without losing muscle mass is 31 * fat mass. In your case that would be 40*31 = 1244/day. That's 2.48 lbs/week very close to your 2lbs/week. I did the velocity diet it works, but you have to be mentally ready and committed. I've done it three times, lost 17,12 and 10lbs. I still use the Berardi priciples of which it's based, most carbs moring and after workout. I like hot roxx but I've had better success lately with Recreate.

Here is some calcs based on your stats.

LBM FM BF% BMR M C- Act D.Cal

183 40 18.0% 2156 1244 1563 3720
    183 39 17.4% 2147 1198 1556 3703
    183 37 16.9% 2137 1151 1550 3687

I have a killer weightloss spreadsheet with all the calcs if you want it. 3500 cals = one pound it becomes a math game. track your food on fitday for at least 2 weeks so you know whats coming in. BTw, Alchol is the worst thing, more than 2-3 beers and you stop all your progress.

Zguy
    That spread sheet would be killer. I'll probably need explanations of what all the abbreviations mean. I google "The Metabolism Advantage" after looking up Berardi and am about to get the book. The more I am on this website and learn the more I want to learn more, F-ing nuts. Any other suggestions (oh, and as it is Saturday, does that go for all alcohol or just beer, and/or which is worse)
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.97%

It's alcohol in any form stops wieghltoss promotes muscle breakdown. I have similar problem trying to be more social networking for work haning out with co-workers pick-up chicks, etc. Not drinking can be difficult at times. Right now I have my diet and workouts nailed it's the social activities holding me back.
    Before you buy the book alot of his articles are posted on line

http://www.johnberardi.com/

Also read www.t-nation.com he has articles there as well.

Lyle McDoland is good aswell

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

I love his secret formula for success, ass busting work + time = results. It's hard tough fight everyday, no easy answers or shortcuts.

Zguy
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.72%

Quote Originally Posted by Zguy52 View Post
    It's alcohol in any form stops wieghltoss promotes muscle breakdown. I have similar problem trying to be more social networking for work haning out with co-workers pick-up chicks, etc. Not drinking can be difficult at times. Right now I have my diet and workouts nailed it's the social activities holding me back.
    Before you buy the book alot of his articles are posted on line

http://www.johnberardi.com/

Also read www.t-nation.com he has articles there as well.

Lyle McDoland is good aswell

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

I love his secret formula for success, ass busting work + time = results. It's hard tough fight everyday, no easy answers or shortcuts.

Zguy
    yeah, i hear ya about being social and drinking. everything seems to revolve around drinking. i feel like i did enough drinking in college for a life time but its hard to break the habit. the way i try to look at it is the less i drink, the more i am in control, and i'll let the others get hammered and act like idiots (instead of me) haha. the part i am really cutting out, is drinking a few beers during the week, watching baseball or something. I have to do this before football season or else i'm completely screwed. anyhow, you still think i can get that spread sheet? i'm thinking its time to start really keeping tabs of everything, my workout, my diet.....that way i can see where i am slipping and what improvements to make. let me know. and thanks for all the info

Similar Forum Threads

1. losing body fat/gaining lean muscle mass
    By rojasdave in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-14-2011, 06:09 PM
  2. Losing that last bit of body fat
    By jlip in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-09-2010, 04:21 PM
  3. Losing body fat
    By Shelly in forum Female Fitness
    Replies: 17