What do people on low-carbohydrate diets eat/drink after a workout?
- 10-02-2003, 03:11 AM
- 10-02-2003, 10:07 AM
Ahh! Great question!!!
Well, it depends which kind of low-carb diet you do! Some people advise taking a 30g-carb drink after training even on a low-carb diet. Is it still a low-carb diet then? I dunno. For these athletes glycogen is very important, they burn it in their workouts and keep replenishing it.
In a diet such as the Di Pasquale "Anabolic Diet" there are virtually NO carbs for 5 days followed by a 2-day carb/fat pig-out. This diet forces the body to effectively switch to a purely fat-based metabolism. Well OK, the carb/glycogen metabolism is not COMPLETELY suspended, but the fat-burning pathways are pumped up to be totally sufficient even for high-intensity exercise, rendering glycogen effectively obsolete. There is NO WALL, which is PROOF that carbs are not needed on the diet.
They are used, but not needed from a performance standpoint. They are used to generate insulin, which is an incredible anabolic catalyst, and to train the muscle to store more and more glycogen, which obviously also results in a larger muscle.
I drink water.
10-02-2003, 11:42 AM
10-02-2003, 10:25 PM
Similar Forum Threads
- By saggy321 in forum Nutrition / HealthReplies: 8Last Post: 03-17-2013, 03:42 PM
- By cpd33 in forum AnabolicsReplies: 9Last Post: 09-30-2005, 10:42 PM
- By cromesta in forum SupplementsReplies: 1Last Post: 03-25-2004, 10:39 PM
- By windwords7 in forum Weight LossReplies: 13Last Post: 05-15-2003, 07:56 AM
- By Dr of Golf in forum Weight LossReplies: 19Last Post: 04-24-2003, 03:23 PM