CKD diet and workout plan: harmful to do extra leg workout on Sunday?

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
Greetings,

I removed carbs from my diet 1 1/2 weeks ago and formally started CKD last Sunday. The CKD workout plan I'm using is described here: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/weight-loss/338-step-step-keto.html

The plan calls for 4 days of weight lifting as follows:
Mon: Chest, Back, Abs
Tue: Shoulders, Arms
Wed: Rest or cardio
Thu: Legs
Fri: Push, Pull, Abs

I followed the plan 100% and found my leg workout less than optimal. I read a different CKD plan that calls for all major muscle groups being worked the first few days of the no-carb plan, which supposedly get you into ketosis faster.

My question is, would it be harmful to add a leg workout on Sunday (an off day according to the plan)? With this addition it would look like this:
Sun: Legs

I'm doing research in this and other forums. In the mean time, if you have experience with CKD and have made adjustments to your workout plan that deviate from the recommended plan please chime in.

Thanks.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
not entirely related, but I found a TKD to work far better as far as workouts themselves go than a CKD. the fat loss was pretty equivalent between the two

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info. I've read about TKD and will probably switch in a few weeks.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think the trick to really getting a TKD working is to start as a CKD, and skip the carbup at the end of the first week, but in the second week start with taking carbs pre/post workout. that way you are in ketosis to begin with, and that small amount of complex carbs pre/post workout don't throw you out or at least not for very long. Also, if you do that, I think avoiding fruits for carbs is a good idea. from what i've heard others say (not that i've researched myself) but fructose tends to replenish liver glycogen first, and its the liver glycogen levels that affect ketosis the most.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info. I think I'll give that a try.

I decided to proceed with my leg workout this morning. Wow, what a difference compared to last Thursday! I am so much happier now that I look forward to the no-carb week. Just getting the leg workout done 100% is such a boost, I think I feel much better about it compared to the carb-up day LOL. Although I must admit that the carb-up is the primary reason why I was able to get 100% out of my legs.

bj22

Awards
I was thinking of switching over from CKD to TKD after I finish my cut this week. Should I still do a mini carb up weekly? How many carbs should I eat around workouts? Also, if incorporating HIIT, should I treat it the same as a lifting session? Thanks.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i'd do it with no particular carb up days, but still allow yourself 1 or 2 cheat meals a week where you don't care. i'd say no more than 50g of carbs preworkout, and no more than 30 or so post seemed to work really well for me. And definitely, you can treat HIIT similarly, but i'd take in a bit less carbs pre-hiit (as you are doing it to burn fat, not the carbs you just ate :))

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Greetings,

I removed carbs from my diet 1 1/2 weeks ago and formally started CKD last Sunday. The CKD workout plan I'm using is described here: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/weight-loss/338-step-step-keto.html

The plan calls for 4 days of weight lifting as follows:

I followed the plan 100% and found my leg workout less than optimal. I read a different CKD plan that calls for all major muscle groups being worked the first few days of the no-carb plan, which supposedly get you into ketosis faster.

My question is, would it be harmful to add a leg workout on Sunday (an off day according to the plan)? With this addition it would look like this:
Sun: Legs

I'm doing research in this and other forums. In the mean time, if you have experience with CKD and have made adjustments to your workout plan that deviate from the recommended plan please chime in.

Thanks.
FWIW I have been doing CKD for the past 6 weeks and I have tweaked it to better suit me and it is working awesome. I did exactly what you are proposing for the same reasons I switched leg day to Sunday and I have been hitting personal bests in EVERY lift it's an awesome feeling. I love this diet I have used straight keto diets alot and always liked the fat loss but hated the strength loss this diet is perfect for me I gain muscle , lose fat and stay motivated. Good Luck

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
FWIW I have been doing CKD for the past 6 weeks and I have tweaked it to better suit me and it is working awesome. I did exactly what you are proposing for the same reasons I switched leg day to Sunday and I have been hitting personal bests in EVERY lift it's an awesome feeling. I love this diet I have used straight keto diets alot and always liked the fat loss but hated the strength loss this diet is perfect for me I gain muscle , lose fat and stay motivated. Good Luck
I just realized that what you are asking is not exactly what I am doing I did not add a leg workout I moved it my plan looks like this Sun:Legs Mon:Chest, Back and Abs, Tues:Off or cardio (I hate cardio so it's usually off) Wed:Shoulders,arms Thurs: off or Cardio and Fri:Final Workout as described in outline this works better for me

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
I just realized that what you are asking is not exactly what I am doing I did not add a leg workout I moved it my plan looks like this Sun:Legs Mon:Chest, Back and Abs, Tues:Off or cardio (I hate cardio so it's usually off) Wed:Shoulders,arms Thurs: off or Cardio and Fri:Final Workout as described in outline this works better for me
Thanks for the info. I'm going to keep it with two leg workouts for now; I'll move things around like you did depending on progress.