My Keto experiment

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
Here I go, this thread will be my diet diary. I started Keto Sunday morning. I ate less than 20g of carbs in each of the last 3 days. I noticed I would wake up with more energy and Im more concentrated at school which is awesome.

Fat/Proteins/Carbs (Calories)
65%/33%/2%
Starting Weight : 200

Current Weight after 3 days (198.5) water probably... although I drink so much of it.

I went to the grocery last Sunday and bought everything to succeed so Im very psyched about going through this.
I try to get between 2500 and 3000 calories. I eat steaks, eggs, bacon, salmon, tuna, whey, burgers (no bread), cheese and chicken. I often use olive oil, mayo and butter. I try to add some leafy green vegetables as often as I can with no abuse.

My supplementation consists of whey, multi-vitamins and minerals and Metamucil for fibers. I might as well get some creatine next week.

Last edited:
L

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
DoctorX2k2 May I suggest you NOT use ALA on your carb days? This might reduce your insulin spike and believe me, you WANT the insulin! The ALA will be very good the day AFTER your carb-up to clear the bloodstream of glucose and get into ketosis faster. As an antioxydant it can be taken all week, actually, but it will make you hungry at first.

Creatine is a great idea, althouth you can only take it on the weekend. You may also want to add a large celery stalk every meal, or some metamucil. You'll need SOME fiber at first, for SURE.

When did you do you VO2MAX test then?

Do you plan on skipping your first weekend carb-up?

S

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
He can take the creatine ED in his PWO shake of whey/dex. Your ratios are off slightly. The diet is more about fat consumption. You have what appears to be too much protein. Visit this site for more info:
http://www.c-k-d.com/

L

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
DoctorX2k2 are those gram ratios or calorie ratios?

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
More likely grams :p
Oh yeah I forgot to add Metamucil in the supplement list...
As for ALA, I'll use it as you suggested.

My vo2max test was on my 2nd keto day... I was anormaly weak working out later that day, which is, of course, due to the lack of glycogen.

L

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
So in terms of cals you are about 50% protein 50% fat, neglecting the sugars. Scotty2 is right, a little bit more fat will help. What is your bodyweight?

OK I made my fitday account public :
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=LunaHotel

My keto started about 18 september, but my first true entries are on Sept. 21st. Feel free to browse. There aren't much weights at the moment in my routine, because I train at home for now. Keep in mind that this is a best-case scenario because the metabolic shift is faster the 3rd time around than the first.

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
Well Im trying to get as many fats in as possible... the ratios I wrote aren't accurate either. Everything I eat has fats and proteins and very low or no carbs. Im pretty my fat intake is higher.

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
Beginning of 6th day... last night I really started to feel weird and a little depressed. Anyways, Im down to 196. I hope not to go below 190. If I could just stay at 195 and lose fat it would be perfect. I dont know if Im a fat burning machine yet, but Im a pissing machine for sure :D .

L

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
Lol yeah. The slight depression is due to a long-time no-carb effect on the brain's neurotransmitters. It will be fine soon. I always feel that way in the beginning. Tomorrow is saturday. Are you skipping your first carb-up?

Don't worry about your bodyweight at first. You're losing water. Have you been looking at my fitday log for pointers/comparison where you're at?

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
Yes, I am skipping the first carb-up.
As for the fitday log, well my food intake is similar to yours. Other than that I thikn I`m doing pretty fine.

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
First week over. Down to 196. Skipping first carb up. Everyone around me eat junk food in my face but I resist :D. Although a few people around me think I wont go through it, the worse week is behind me.
Im starting to see a bit more depth, can't wait to see the results in a few weeks.

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
Jesus... I had a workout this afternoon and I almost fell asleep 1 hour after I was done. I felt so tired. Maybe that's because I had to wake up twice last night to go to the bathroom... More on that later!

L

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
DoctorX2k2 I think that's normal... You're JUST ABOUT to undergo the deep metabolic shift. I felt the same last week a few times. Hehehe you gotta work THROUGH that too... :p How did the workout go though?

Keep it up! :)

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
The workout was better than the previous ones actually... but still, I cannot lift as much as I used to. Strenght should be back soon :)

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
Wow... Im starting to see some abs appear this morning! I haven't seen that since High School! I'll weight in next Saturday.

L

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
Hey man I'm looking at your first post in this thread about your caloric intake and I think it's a little on the low side for the kind of training you do... Of course, seeing your abs magically appear IS kinda nice, right?

Anyways, how about going for 3500 cals once you've got all the chicks in the gym staring at you? :D

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
I get about 3000 calories a day... I haven't exactly counted, I have no scale to mesure grams and everything, maybe I should buy one. I said I would weight in next Saturday because I've just got an electrical scale that is somewhat innacurate. From what it tells me, I went up 1lb(197lbs) since the initial water loss. If the weight gain is actually real... then it's PERFECT! :D

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
As for the chicks staring at me... well I don't know what's up in Qc but I never see the same chicks twice. They seem to give up training pretty quickly.

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
Luna... Tomorow's my first carb-up. I workout in the afternoon, should I start eating carbs right after it? Im thinking of eating a few fruits prior my workout to prepare my liver and then workout, get some whey with oatmeal preworkout and carb load until Saturday 18:00. Sounds right?

L

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
Well, I suggest NO CARBS before working out. You'll know why AFTER you begin carbing up. Well, I'mma tell you right now, but you'll really FEEL what I mean afterwards.

The carbs will make you feel very relaxed, lazy. If you can at all, train earlier on saturday and hit the carbs right afterwards. A good weight-gainer drink is really good. You don't have to mind the glycemic index of your carbs, either. Oatmeal or Ice cream, it doesn't matter. You're there for the insulin spike.

You can even train on an empty stomach right after getting up if you're going to eat carbs and whey right afterwards. This is not like carb-based diets: your energy level should be good even after 8 hours without food.

Seriously though I think carbs prior to training isn't that good an idea, but if you have to, try it and see how you feel. What I personnally prefer doing is to concentrate my carb-up to less than 2 full days and go a liitle gung-ho in terms of food quantity. I have a fat breakfast, train, then eat like a pig. I like it. :)

So how's the energy? Did you feel like coma after your workout today?

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
Eh it was a day off today, but I feel more energized all day long since yesterday... I even had trouble to fall asleep *cough*. I used to yawn all the time but it's gone. As for working out saturday morning, I can't really move my schedule because my training partner works early the week-ends. I planned to carb-up from Friday 2pm to Saturday 6pm so that's 28 hours... is it enough? On Friday, I'd have a fat breakfast and lunch then I'd train and eat like a pig until carb up time is over. Or should I stop carbing up at midnight? Alright about the weight gainer, I'll throw in a plenty of high GI sugars :D.

L

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, 28 hours is allright, but just make sure you pig out for REAL now OK? :D

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
I started carbing up after my workout on Friday afternoon... my stomach had hard time digesting the enourmous amount of food I ate. I weighted 198 this morning and I can still see my new upper abs that appeared at the begining of the week. My first carb up session is over in 20 mins. I'll throw in some HIIT cardio this week, thinking of Wednesday and moderate cardio on Monday and Thursday. I am feeling great. Keto rocks.

L

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
Glad to hear it DoctorX2k2. :D Keep it up. Also, I think you will find that the weektime gets easier and easier on you. Hey here's something I like: the keto ham & cheese sandwich.

Take 2 thick slices of ham, fry them in the frying pan. Add a thick layer of mozzarella cheese on one slice after flipping it over, then cover the cheese with the second slice. Simple, fast and YUMMY :p

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
Sorry for the late update.
After the carb up I weighted 199 on Sunday morning and now(Tuesday) Im down to 195 totally deshydrated. I'll throw some HIIT Cardio tomorow morning. No noticable progress in body composition since last week.

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
Had a Back/Bi workout this afternoon... damn my arms are so much more vascular than they ever been. Strenght is back to normal

L

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
Most of what you lost is water. You may want to supplement with SEA salt, not table salt, as these diets tend to have you excrete your electrolytes. Sea salt is balanced in sodium/potassium so it's the only way to go for the athlete. Leaning out isn't your main goal though, so no need to cut calories any more. Right?

Stregth back to normal is good. How is your stamina doing? That's the main thing this diet will do for you, I believe it will let you bench lots of reps quicker...

What are you main lifts now and what are your goals?

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
Leaning out is the priority for now as I've read that carrying 5lbs of fat slows you down by 6% on your 40 yard dash. If I can get to 195@10% by mid November I'll be more than happy. Then I'll slowly and carefully get carbs at specific times and lean bulk until August. I dont know yet about stamina because Im doing an abbreviated Westside routine. I'll test them all at the end of this cutting cycle.

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
Started carbing up again... damn it, the "eat till you puke" would fit very well here, cause I almost puked for real ah ah. I was down to 193,5lbs this morning. Hopefully wont go under 190 but as long as I dont lose muscle mass, Im happy. Not much noticable fat loss this week except a bit more of vascularity.

L

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
So after this you will be in week 4? That's great. In my experience, weeks 4 to 6 is when energy really increases. As you can see, my log on fitday.com is not updated... I dropped it as I again got a feel of how much I need to eat without too much trial/error. Damn, and that girl left coke and chocolate cupcakes in my fridge! :( ;)

Again, how tall are you?
Is the training the same as before you went keto?
Tell us how you feel, how your lifts are going, and your stamina?
Are you getting closer to your goals?

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
Im 6'0... so far I feel great, more energized all day long and of course, pumped on carb ups. My training style was different before I went keto. I used to do BSF but Im now doing an abbreviated Westside routine ala Iron Addict with some plyos on off days. As for stamina, I don't see any real changes other than normal : I try to push more weight or more reps every week as usual. Im getting closer to my 10% BF goal and my vertical leap went up 1 inch. Anyways, once Im done with cutting, I'll start bulking and kick some supplements in like creatine and glutamine. I know I could use them now but I prefer saving moneyfor later.

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
Results are coming slowly but surely... I prefer when things arent too fast so it's real :D. I changed the way I work out my arms... I dont seem to respond to low volume, I havent gained strenght on bi/tri for a month and half, although my chest/back did. So Im gonna throw in a few more sets. As usual, a little more depth and vascularity showing.

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
Damn it, I want more abs!!!!!!! I can't seem to lose fat around that region. I haven't seen any improvements in the past 2 weeks. Although I lose weight, hopefully fat, but Im not sure where it comes from. Or maybe my abs are just undertrained but I don't think it's the problem. I'll throw in another HIIT Session and see what happens.

L

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
Hey doc, just run us by your training schedule again please? How much sleep are you getting? How frequently do you eat?

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
I eat 5-6 times a day. And yes I usually get enough sleep : between 7 and 11 hours :D but mostly 8+

Here's my schedule :

Friday : Chest/Tri/Shoulders

Saturday : Off

Sunday Night : Legs/Abs

Monday : Back/Bi

Tuesday : HIIT Cardio on morning

Wednesday : Off

Thursday : HIIT Cardio on morning

L

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
Well if you really need to cut, the ECA stack does wonders with a ketogenic diet. Which week are you in now?

The workout schedule looks good. Are you taking carbs during the week? The only thing *I* might see is to try low-intensity aerobics for 60 minutes at a time on an empty stomach (+eca if you'll do it)... That might be even better than HIIT for you, we're all different.

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
Wont endurance screw me up for sports? Plus I don't really have 60 mins ahead of me in the morning. I don't have an ECA stack for now but I use caffein pills. Im ending my 4th week this next Sunday. As for carbs in the week, I sure get under 20 grams a day. It's just the damn love handles that wont go away! Anyways, if they dont go away now they will in a few weeks... otherwise Im not losing fat as I thought :D

L

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
Oh they will, they will. Low-intensity aerobics won't do anything to you except burn the fuel. What I find is that for a lot of people, high-intensity training makes them hungrier and this often offsets the fat-burning effect because they have a real hard time keeping the cals down.

Of course hunger isn't such a problem on a keto. Still, low-intensity is pretty good that way. Here's something to try : do your HIIT before breakfast. You have plenty of energy available at waking up, this isn't like the carb-based diet where you are depleted in the morning : as long as you have any visible subcutaneous fat left, you have enough energy to run a marathon or two, all available to do your bidding.

Next week you might want to begin thinking about a "mid-week carb spike", that is a dring of 1000 cals total made with high-GI carbs AND about 75g of whey protein. This packs a serious punch and might actually increase your fat-burning. If I remember correctly, you carb-load beginning after your friday afternoon workout so the "mid-week" spike for you would be tuesday. Immediately after HIIT looks allright to me. If you do your HIIT on an empty stomach at wake-up, your GH will truly be at its MAX after the session so that's ideal for the insulin.

Hey and this leaves you having to make breakfast after HIIT only on thursday. :)

L

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
Hey all you're missing for the ECA stack is some ephedrin. I highly recommend it since you're young and in good shape. As long as you don't go overboard with it, it really kicks ass on a keto diet.

It's a pleasure to help, really. :)

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
Yay... had a back/bi workout today... I pulled 3 more reps than usual on preacher curl even though I was really tired because I had hard time sleeping last night. I guess the last week high volume workout I did busted my plateau. As for fat lost, I have absolutly no idea where this is going... I think I see improvements but maybe it's just my brain cause I havent lost weight for a week, that's why I threw in another HIIT session. I'll buy a skinfold caliber someday and figure it out.

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
I didn't do the HIIT and mid-week carb spike because I figured out I failed to go back under ketosis after last carb-up because my fat intake wasn't high enough although I ate well under 20g of carbs. So today I went to the grocery and bought a few fatty food I missed and I'm starting to feel ketosis again. Trust me I wont do this mistake again :D. I will continue for a few more week after the initial 8 weeks are over because I was holding more fat than I thought. Then I'll clean bulk from mid-December to August hoping to get at least 10 pounds of LBM.

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
I tested my max bench yesterday. Last time I did that was hmmm 1 month ago. Well guess what. My bench went up 15lbs! West Side rocks!

L

LunaHotel

Awards
  • Established
So west side and keto seems like a good combo? That's nice to hear, I haven't tried that one yet. Thanks :)

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
Well this week, I made sure I'd go back into keto as fast as possible... ALA helped some. I upped the fat intake and I could already feel brainfog Sunday night. This morning I weighed 192.5 ... my last carbup really sucked. Darn friend bd party.

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
Update... Im down to 189lbs and my waist is down 2,5 inches since I began. I'll continue this for 3 more weeks then I'll start clean bulking my way back up to 200+ while hopefully lowering my BF%.

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
Im done... for now. I dropped 13lbs and went from an o-pack to a 4-packs which is awesome. I'll be clean bulking for 6 months and might get back into ketoing in June.

T

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
Congrats!!!! Good luck on your lean bulking endeavor.

BTW, one of the better cutting threads out there.

~Todd

D

DoctorX2k2

Awards
I had weird digesting problems in the past 2 weeks... I think it may be caused by milk products or something.