Cardio Vs. HIIT - AnabolicMinds.com

Cardio Vs. HIIT

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  207 lbs.

Cardio Vs. HIIT

Whats better?
    same effect?
    I hate cardio, never tried HIIT.(not 100% sure how its done)

2. New Member

i would like to know peoples results as well. I am an ecto, not shure if hit cardio would be ideal for me, as far as muscle wasting.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.

steady state cardio at 120-130 bpm for long durations is good on a low carb diet. if you are trying to recomp or bulk and keep off excess weight and you have moderate/high carb intake you should try HIIT.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  207 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bj22 View Post
    steady state cardio at 120-130 bpm for long durations is good on a low carb diet. if you are trying to recomp or bulk and keep off excess weight and you have moderate/high carb intake you should try HIIT.

i take in 200 carbs daily
    i weight 207lbs

Is thaT enought carbs for HIIT.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.

Indeed. I would definitely recommend HIIT unless you are on one of the various low carb diets(~30 carbs), such as AD.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

I've been doing HIIT with a low carb diet, what is the reason you are suggesting not doing the two together?
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.

Your first source of energy is carbs, right? If you are on a low carb diet, you should focus on slow-medium cardio for longer durations at a steady pace. HIIT and other intense bouts of exercise depends mostly on glycogen for energy. When you're eliminating carbs from your diet, your glycogen stores won't be as high as during a normal diet which is why the body turns to fat and muscle for their catabolic properties to create energy. The body essentially breaks down muscle mass into amino acids which will then be made into glucose in the liver. The limited amount of glycogen you do have will be needed for lifting sessions and with HIIT, you will be running a big risk of losing muscle.

HIIT is ideal when you start adding carbs back to your diet to keep the pounds off. It starts a cascade of fat burning in the body, that in turn has a much longer duration after the workout than just regular old cardio.

This approach has always worked best for me.
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

That sounds right, I might try to do some LSD (long slow distance) again. When I am low carbing I just don't seem to an hour long run in me, hence the HIIT, and I always do it on an empty stomach in the morning. I have been thinking of switching from a CKD to a TKD so that I can target carbs around my training sessions anyway.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  235 lbs.

I have a few questions on this subject. I currently am doing about 45 minutes, steady state cardio, but was looking to do more HIIT cardio. My current diet is low carb but low to me is 75-100 grams a day. I was going to cut my carbs down below 30 on my off weigh training days but still do cardio. Is it best to continue on with steady state or will HIIT be fine for me?

My 2nd part of this question would be, if in fact I need to bump up carbs a tad on off days just to benefit from HIIT should I ingest the carbs the meal before I head to the gym? Maybe like 1.5 hours before hand? I totally appreciate any feedback you all can give.

Ian
  10. Senior Member

When on low-carb (100-150 g) for me, i weight 210, i dont like to do HIIT cuz i have no fuel...so i do long duration (30-45) min of high resistance on an elliptical or walk on a treadmill with the incline as high as it goes, with a speed of about 3 MPH. this always works well for me. when i do HIIT ill usually do it first thing in the morning, even though its hard as hell...i feel good when im done. after i lift i always do easy cardio, but im also an endomorph that might have something to do with it, im not sure

Similar Forum Threads

1. HIIT cardio
    By dedication in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-28-2009, 02:21 PM
  2. HIIT cardio after workout?
    By jon1026 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-02-2008, 08:18 PM
  3. HIIT cardio
    By Fatal Wisdom in forum Bulking
    Replies: 10