Duration of unfuelled CV in the morning

edjam

Awards
Hi guys. I've been doing unfuelled CV for a few months on weekdays for the last few months with quite good results. I usually do about 45 minutes between x trainer and bike (I split them up so I don't get too bored).

In the summer months I'll have a bit more time to commit to cv in the morning since university will be finished for a while - what's the maximum time you would say unfuelled should be done for in the morning? I know it's all about balancing the pros and cons of fat loss against losing a bit of muscle, but I was just thinking if I pushed it to an hour/hour and a half, woudl that be acceptable and increase fat burning?

Cheers guys

DieselPump

DieselPump

Awards
I'd say an hour maximum would be your best bet.

I wouldn't go over that myself.

edjam

Awards
Ah ok cools, thanks for the response - in that case, would you say to do it 7 days a week if possible?

DieselPump

DieselPump

Awards
It's always good to give yourself a rest day, but in the case of morning cardio, you could do it 7 days a week if you feel it's necessary and you have a decent amount of fat to lose.

I usually gauge it by how tired my body feels, if I feel like I can do it, I would, but if I feel like my body is exhausted, I might be on the brink of over training and I would hold off to 6 days a week.

Good luck.

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If you're gonna go long (over an hour) or high intensity, I would throw in some BCAA's to keep from losing muscle. I find 10g's of BCAA's gives me more endurance as well when running intervals in a fasted state.

edjam

Awards
Cool. Would you say it's good to mix up between HIIT and long lower heart rate unfuelled? I've been doing the latter for a while now, but was thinking of doing HIIT twice a week just to give some variation really....

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Cool. Would you say it's good to mix up between HIIT and long lower heart rate unfuelled? I've been doing the latter for a while now, but was thinking of doing HIIT twice a week just to give some variation really....
I always used to do the long, 60-70% heart rate cardio when frst waking, but since I've thrown in the high intensity about 3 times a week it seems to have helped my metabolism. I am always hot and always hungry, and it hasn't had a negative impact on my lifting. I only lift three times a week in the late afternoon (meaning in a few minutes), total body workouts, and I do HIIT on my off days from lifting. On lifting days I rest or to a light 30 minute walk in the morning.