Is it ok to have oats in morning shake on low carb diet

jamze7417

jamze7417

Awards
So im thiking on doing a low carb on the week days and load on weekend... to drop some fat. Im wondering. Is it ok to put a half cup of oats in my morning shake and then keep the rest of the day low carb or will that just defeat the purpose? My cardio is most likley going to be in the morning about 25 min after my shake. Or would it be better do do it before my morning shake? I want to conserve as much muscle as possible thats why i was thinking after. Also generally when your trying keep you carbs low... what is a good number to stay under. Cuz im used to getting over 400g of carbs a day. What number would you shoot for. My maintenance is around 32-3400. Thanks

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
I'd be doing morning cardio on an empty stomach.

Would like a little more info on this area myself.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
So im thiking on doing a low carb on the week days and load on weekend... to drop some fat. Im wondering. Is it ok to put a half cup of oats in my morning shake and then keep the rest of the day low carb or will that just defeat the purpose? My cardio is most likley going to be in the morning about 25 min after my shake. Or would it be better do do it before my morning shake? I want to conserve as much muscle as possible thats why i was thinking after. Also generally when your trying keep you carbs low... what is a good number to stay under. Cuz im used to getting over 400g of carbs a day. What number would you shoot for. My maintenance is around 32-3400. Thanks
It will depend on a lot of factors. You can low carb on a low calorie program and loose weight very efficently. If you are trying to get into ketosis than you may have to be careful.

Honestly I would say if muscle preservation is your main goal keep the oats/shake before you cardio workout, and then then gear your cardio to a high intensity that will ramp up your EPOC for the rest of the day (and thus keep fat burning roaring).

As far as what range of carbs to keep at, that will again depend 100% on your body type and insulin sensitivity. I personally can take in 100-150 grams a day towards the latter stages of my cut and loose fat (and as high as 300 in the beginning and loose fat). Does that mean it is what will work for you? No.

One last thing I would like to point out is that unless your doing a very strict diet program (like a CKD or Anabolic?velocity diet) your fat loss will be enabled by your overall daily caloric intake regardless of macro breakdowns. Yes manipulating macros can expedite the process (and is what I like to do knowing how my body is) but eliminating macros from diets is in my opinion counter productive.

**One last side note on the whole empty stomach debate. I use to be a huge proponent of utilizing empty stomach a lot. However I find eating before hand and keeping intensity high (like HIIT) can keep fat loss rolling with muscle preservation. I still do empty stomach on occasion/weekly when cutting, but I use both forms (HIIT and E.S) to get the best of both worlds.

Beebs

Awards
I started out my diet with a cup of oatmeal the first week in the morning, then a half cup the next week, then a pack of grits the next week, and finally nothing but some calorie countdown milk and protein powder as a source of carbs in the morning. I would say that you should start out with the oats and lower your carbs each week so you can begin to slowly get used to ketogenesis if thats what you're shooting for.