No Progress In 8 Months

MATT2388

Awards
Just found my pictures from the 15th of september 2007, i am literally gutted, i have gone from eating 2000 calories a day to 1200 calories slowly back upto 1800, calories and my weight has corrolated with it, going from 171lbs to 157.5lbs, now im back to 168lbs, my body composition has not changed one bit, even though my diet (even though it is low) has been clean, only consisting of chicken, fruit, veggies, fish oil and coconut oil. I even consider oatmeal with water a cheat meal!

I workout 2 to 3 times a week
Workout A:
Squats
Shrugs
Deadlifts
Abdominal crunches

Workout B:
Barbell Curls
Latereals Front and Side
Bench Press
Standing milatary press

Doing reps and sets changing from 4x5, 5x5 to 8x8, all to failure on the last set.

I kept telling myself i am improving but its too slow to actually notice a difference like that, and just kept with it changing my routine and calorie consumption, i have had blood tests all resorting too low testosterone, low dopamine, low noradrenline, basically eveything bottom of the range, docters wont treat as im still in range.

I have decided to turn eveything upside down and increase my calories to 2500, workout with riptoes program, carry on eating the same diet, i dont see how it could be better in my honest opinion, maybe more fats need to be added. Add in HIIT, as i now have crossover stepper machine which is a lot easier on the legs which has become a problem now due to me not getting enough calories.

Im 168.5lbs currently at 5'11, 19 years old. Any advice would be great, i would like hear your opinions on or if i was overtraininig throughout all this time, as my lifts have only gone down when cutting and staying the same when increasing calories, i think my calorie consumption is too blame here.

Any advice here would be appreciated.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You have been starving your body if you been eating that few calories over that time period. You probably burned off muscle and then when you added some calories it still wasn't enough to gain back your muscle loss. 2500 calories should be like cutting weight at that age(i am 19 as well)

Are you serious about the oatmeal?? How is that a cheat idk bc that is a staple food for me. It sounds like you need some carbs .
I would also look at trying to fix your training regimen if your only getting in there 2-3x a week and you can't be doing the same thing forever you gotta change it up.

So what do you wanna fix first and we can go from there? :)

sf9ersfan8

sf9ersfan8

Awards
Just found my pictures from the 15th of september 2007, i am literally gutted, i have gone from eating 2000 calories a day to 1200 calories slowly back upto 1800, calories and my weight has corrolated with it, going from 171lbs to 157.5lbs, now im back to 168lbs, my body composition has not changed one bit, even though my diet (even though it is low) has been clean, only consisting of chicken, fruit, veggies, fish oil and coconut oil. I even consider oatmeal with water a cheat meal!

I workout 2 to 3 times a week
Workout A:
Squats
Shrugs
Deadlifts
Abdominal crunches

Workout B:
Barbell Curls
Latereals Front and Side
Bench Press
Standing milatary press

Doing reps and sets changing from 4x5, 5x5 to 8x8, all to failure on the last set.

I kept telling myself i am improving but its too slow to actually notice a difference like that, and just kept with it changing my routine and calorie consumption, i have had blood tests all resorting too low testosterone, low dopamine, low noradrenline, basically eveything bottom of the range, docters wont treat as im still in range.

I have decided to turn eveything upside down and increase my calories to 2500, workout with riptoes program, carry on eating the same diet, i dont see how it could be better in my honest opinion, maybe more fats need to be added. Add in HIIT, as i now have crossover stepper machine which is a lot easier on the legs which has become a problem now due to me not getting enough calories.

Im 168.5lbs currently at 5'11, 19 years old. Any advice would be great, i would like hear your opinions on or if i was overtraininig throughout all this time, as my lifts have only gone down when cutting and staying the same when increasing calories, i think my calorie consumption is too blame here.

Any advice here would be appreciated.
post your diet up bro. have you been doing morning cardio? are you taking any supps?i would at least bring your cals back up to 2000.

MATT2388

Awards
post your diet up bro. have you been doing morning cardio? are you taking any supps?i would at least bring your cals back up to 2000.
60% protein (chicken) 20% fats (fjsb oil, coconut oil) 20% carbs (fruits, vegetable, oatmeal pre + postworkout)

Oatmeal with water, total 400 calories preworkout and post workout with chicken 400 calories. Apart from that its mostly veggies and fruit e.g. apples, bannanas, grapes, which i only have in the morning and before work, never before bed.

MATT2388

Awards
Setptember 15th 2007, relaxed as possible, trust me there has been no change from that pic and now

Attachments

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
2,000 cals... isn't that the standard daily intake that's reccommended for a 150lb, average, somewhat sedative man? Your body has probably slowed down all of it's metabolic functions to compensate for such a starvation. And 1200 cals for any period of time... Dude, that's like 2 protein bars per day. That's absolutely assanine.

I'm not trying to come across as an ass, but I can't feel bad for someone who doesn't 'seem' to research proper dieting/exercise strategies.

Up your calories, adjust your macros, get an entirely different routine, up your workout intensity, throw some various cardio into the mix... lol... basically do the opposite of what you're doing now.

Oh... and read.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
Wow man, something is wrong here. You look like you haven't trained a day in your life! Even if you've been training only 8 months, and not eating enough you would still have some rudimentary physique. I'm not quite sure what your goals are. You mentiioned recomping, so I suppose you want to look like you work out? After seeing that pic, frankly I'm baffled. I mean, it's taken me years to get a decent diet and training program down, but when I was your age I ate freakin burger king three times a day, drank beer all night, and still looked ripped. Give us a little more info, and we'll try to help you.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Wow man, something is wrong here. You look like you haven't trained a day in your life! Even if you've been training only 8 months, and not eating enough you would still have some rudimentary physique. I'm not quite sure what your goals are. You mentiioned recomping, so I suppose you want to look like you work out? After seeing that pic, frankly I'm baffled. I mean, it's taken me years to get a decent diet and training program down, but when I was your age I ate freakin burger king three times a day, drank beer all night, and still looked ripped. Give us a little more info, and we'll try to help you.
Tough love :afro:

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
This is a very odd situation indeed.

Ive been dealing with dieting and exercise for about 9 years now, dealing with lots of individuals but this does look strange.

How has your strength been in the past 8 months? Have you gained strength?

your saying that you look EXACTLY the same? How about posting a pic as of TODAY.

I think that your body adapted to those calories at that low of a range thats why you lost good at first and then became stagnate. You have two choices, you could even cut more calories below that 1200, but I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THAT, your not a model needing to go on stage in 2 weeks. Or you could raise calories and I say add a little more clean fat. Cut carbs off before evening (i cut mine off at 5pm). If i am working out late (say 8-9pm) I only eat good fats before going in. Honestly, i dont have the energy as I do with carb loading before w/o but I have the same strength and have actually had some of my heaviest lifts when i only did clean fats before working out, just did not have the "pizazz" so to speak...

List your diet, am - pm. And list workout ... all lifts, each set, each rep. List water intake, and other supps...

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
60% protein (chicken) 20% fats (fjsb oil, coconut oil) 20% carbs (fruits, vegetable, oatmeal pre + postworkout)

Oatmeal with water, total 400 calories preworkout and post workout with chicken 400 calories. Apart from that its mostly veggies and fruit e.g. apples, bannanas, grapes, which i only have in the morning and before work, never before bed.

give us the specifics of one full day, including times, use a workout day as example with workout time in there as well please.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Up your calories, adjust your macros, get an entirely different routine, up your workout intensity, throw some various cardio into the mix... lol... basically do the opposite of what you're doing now.

Oh... and read.

AMEN! EEEEAAATTTT! Check out the various bb'ing websites around (t-nation, BB.com, gee maybe the workout and diet sections of a certain forum...) pick a beginner's workout, something entirely different from your own and research a clean bulk diet! Want it easy? 16xbodyweight+(10-20%) keep it low carb at first and slowly increase as your body acclamates to the the additional calories. As you gain muscle, you'll lose some of that fat if you train and eat well. Ages from now, you can cut, but you need to actually have muscle before you can strip the fat off of it.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
eat clean and eat lots of it. you're in no position to be cutting down right now. put some LBM on then consider leaning down. not trying to be an outright a$$hole, just calling it like i see it. seriously. eat big, lift big, get big. then reverse gears, slowly.

MATT2388

Awards
Maybe i have been overtraining considering the amount of calories i have been consuming, going to failure on every set.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
not likely at your age. overtraining is more a central nervous system thing than anything, and its NOT easy to reach. the term gets abused.

You may also want to try changing routines more often, particularly basing the change around different rep ranges. Try GVT for a month, then do a 5x5, then something else. really your body likely reaches some level of adaptations as early as 4 weeks to a routine, which starts to reduce its efficiency if there isn't a ton of variation built into the routine (which there isn't with your stated one)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Training Forum 25
Pics 2
Pics 19
Pics 7
wbted23 Pics 13