A Few Concerns with My Cut

Jpm89

Awards
Hello everyone, I've just finished with a 6 month bulk and am starting my first cut. I'm concerned about a few things, but before I say anything let me give you some preliminary information about myself, my diet, and routine:

Goal: Lose 1-1.5 lbs of fat a week.

Current Weight: 176lbs
Current BF: 16%

Current Routine:
Sunday: 10 min HIIT
Monday: Shoulders/Triceps
Tuesday: 10 min HIIT
Wednesday:Back/Forearms
Thursday: 10 min HIIT
Friday: Chest/Biceps
Saturday: Thighs/Calves

Current Diet:
Calories: 2300 cals
Protein: 250g
Carbs: 170g
Fat: 65g

Meals and Intervals:

11:00
1 egg, 5 egg whites, oatmeal: 495cals, 34g pro, 66g carbs, 10g fat.

Workout/Cardio

2:30
PWO Shake: 395cals, 38g pro, 50g carbs, 4g fat.

3:30
Protein Bar: 270cals, 20g pro, 30g carbs, 8g fat.

6:30
8 oz chicken breast, salad w/2 tbsp. dressing: 495cals, 71g pro, 0g carbs, 22g fat.

9:30
1 egg, 3 egg whites, 2 oz beef jerky: 315cals, 52g pro, 0g carbs, 6g fat.

11:30
Protein Powder with 1 tbsp. all natural peanut butter: 360cals, 44g pro, 13g carbs, 13g fat.

__________________________________________________ ______________________

My biggest concern is that my muscle mass is being depleted and not body fat. To give an example measurement, before I started cutting my arm measured 14.5 inches and 10 days later its down to 14.25 inches. I'm wondering if the reduction in mass is the combined result of a drop in the amount of carbs I'm eating (therefore reducing muscle gycogen), lower water levels, and perhaps a small amount of fat loss. I only lost 1.2lbs last week so I don't think I'm losing weight to fast.

I have an ecto/meso body type but I'd say I'm probably 75% ecto 25% meso. Should I do cardio more often than 3 times a week with my body type? If so, should I be doing more HIIT or lower level intensity, perhaps after my workouts?

Thanks for reading through my information, any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Based on training literature I've seen.. It's best to add your cardio in following your weight session as opposed to doing it before, or on an off day. Doing it according to what I've suggested has been proven to not interfere with any of your gains in muscle.. Which would be very beneficial, imo, since you're cutting and prob. want to preserve as much lean body mass as possible.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Based on training literature I've seen.. It's best to add your cardio in following your weight session as opposed to doing it before, or on an off day. Doing it according to what I've suggested has been proven to not interfere with any of your gains in muscle.. Which would be very beneficial, imo, since you're cutting and prob. want to preserve as much lean body mass as possible.
Not if it's HIIT. He'd be doing the exact thing he's trying to avoid.

sf9ersfan8

sf9ersfan8

Awards
i thought that you weight train first because of glycogen storage. your using that energy towards the weights and doing your cardio depleted to max your fat use (at least with low intensity cardio).

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
i thought that you weight train first because of glycogen storage. your using that energy towards the weights and doing your cardio depleted to max your fat use (at least with low intensity cardio).
Yeah, but you NEVER do HIIT sessions after weights. If you weight train properly, you won't be able to perform at anywhere near 80% of your intensity level. And if you jack up on endurance supps that, "Wow! I feel like I can go on forever!" and try HIIT after weight-training because you 'think' you have the stamina, you will undoubtably kill muscle.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Not if it's HIIT. He'd be doing the exact thing he's trying to avoid.
While I don't necessarily agree that he'll be doing what he's trying to avoid (this is assuming he takes in some sort of dextrose/protein mix during his workout) you're def right about this: true HIIT couldn't even be performed after a good weight session.

So, to the OP, maybe try walking on a treadmill between 2 - 4 mph at a 15 incline after weights. It's a simple and effective way to add in really decent cardio without really hurting your gains (or in your case, retention of muscle). If you try it, shoot for 15-30 mins. I've found that just in 15 mins you can burn about 200 cals if you do things right, it's nice.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
While I don't necessarily agree that he'll be doing what he's trying to avoid (this is assuming he takes in some sort of dextrose/protein mix during his workout) you're def right about this: true HIIT couldn't even be performed after a good weight session.

So, to the OP, maybe try walking on a treadmill between 2 - 4 mph at a 15 incline after weights. It's a simple and effective way to add in really decent cardio without really hurting your gains (or in your case, retention of muscle). If you try it, shoot for 15-30 mins. I've found that just in 15 mins you can burn about 200 cals if you do things right, it's nice.
As long as he doesn't hold on to the sides like a b*tch! lol :chick: