first attempt to cut...critique my diet.

1. Registered User

first attempt to cut...critique my diet.

This is my first real attempt at cutting. I've always been pretty lean, staying around 11% BF, but have gained some good and bad weight from bulking (as I expected). After going on a bulk cycle for about 8 months I have decided to start cutting for summer. I am also cycling my carbs:

Monday: low carb
    Tuesday: medium carb
    Wednesday: high carb
    Thursday: low carb
    Friday: low carb
    Saturday: low carb
    Sunday: low carb

I do cardio first thing in the morning. I take 2 caps of Leviathan Reloaded, about 500mg of caffeine, and a cup of green tea (I am very insensitive to stimulants, so I don't ever get jittery). I will usually do about 40-50 minutes of low intensity cardio, and I am also going to replace one day a week with a spinning class at the same time (which last about 45 minutes). After cardio I start my first meal of the day:

Meal 1: 7:00am
    2 whole eggs, 6 egg whites
    1 tablespoon salsa

Meal 2: 9:30am
    boneless/skinless chicken breast
    1.5 cups raw spinach
    1 tablespoon vinaigrette dressing

Meal 3: 12:30pm
    salmon filet
    2/3 cup steamed vegetables

Pre-Workout: 3:15pm
    1 scoop whey protein (with water)
    5g BCAA
    5g Glutamine
    10g Creatine Mono
    2 caps Leviathan Reloaded
    3 caps Ready 4 War

Post-Workout: 4:45pm
    2 scoops whey protein (with milk)
    5g BCAA
    5g Glutamine
    5g Creatine Mono
    1 cup milk

Fruit Smoothie
    1 cup mixed fruit
    1/2 cup milk
    3/4 cup 100% juice

Meal 4: 6:30pm
    8oz sirloin
    1/2 cup sauteed vegetables

Meal 5: 9:00pm
    boneless/skinless chicken breast
    1 cup vegetables

Meal 6: 11:30pm
    2 whole eggs, 6 egg whites
    1 tablespoon salsa

Meal 7: 12:45am
    1 scoop whey protein

Daily Intake:
    Carbs: 114
    Fats: 93
    Protein: 313
    Total Calories: 2,443
    Maintenance Calorie Level: 3,592 (got from caloriecontrol.org, if anyone has a better site let me know.)

I usually stick with the same food everyday. i am only able to eat the sirloin about 3 times a week, otherwise I will eat chicken with veggies for meal 4, and just take a protein shake for meal 5. I have seen some good results so far, but was wondering if I could be doing anything to stimulate more fat loss. Here are my past and current stats:

height:6'
    weight:214lbs---->207lbs
    BF %:14.5%----->13%

Also, I was wondering if the first couple pounds you lose while cutting is from the glycogen depletion in your muscles? I feel much more flat than when I was bulking and was just wondering if the glycogen loss could account for some of the weight I have lost so far.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

i know NOTHING of cutting. i am still trying to and i am losing fat AND strength. the one thing i will say is to change up that juice to something else, like maybe 6 oz. sweet potato. looks good to this dumbass, though.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  187 lbs.

oooh buddy too much caloric deficit. a thousand calorie cut a day is gonna cause you to lose about 2 lbs a week on the diet alone. it doesn't look too too bad though. i just kind of skimmed over it and i'm no where near a genius in this field but check out appnut.com then go to articles and then go to the fat burning article. good stuff in there that i think can help you a bunch.l
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  178 lbs.

it looks like a good carb cycle. However, i think the timing is more important than anything.

I keep my bodyfat around 7-8% year round with ZERO cardio, because i cycle my carbs just right.

I just stick to the basics, complex carbs early in the day, and cut them down as the day goes on. Also i carb up once a week, and just stay away from junk food, sugars, and excess fats as much as possible.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.

Pertaining to your initial weight loss Q. Initial weight loss (especially during a low carb style) there will be some glycogen loss yes but even more so will be the water loss that accompanies it (remember it takes water to store glycogen so you will be loosing that water weight as well).
  6. Registered User

Yeah, I thought that there was a little too much caloric depletion, but wasn't too sure. I eat so many times throughout the day I am not sure where to add in more calories, maybe I will throw in a extra protein shake, or some mixed nuts. Anyone else know where I could get more calories without increasing my carb intake?

And I wasn't sure if I should drop that fruit smoothie post-workout. I didn't know if you should concentrate on an insulin spike post-workout while cutting, or if it didn't hurt. And i have another question, would eating carbs or fats after my morning cardio hurt me, as far as burning fat is concerned?
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  178 lbs.

yeah, you need to find a middle area.

Too many calories or too few will make weight loss hard if u want to keep muscle mass.

Some good foods i have that are low in carbs are, low cal veggies, lean proteins, etc... tuna, chicken

also the food after your cardio shouldn't hinder things, just don't pig out, if your eating small healthy frequent meals then you'll be eating decently soon all the time, after cardio, workouts, etc...

Are you doing cardio before breakfast in the morning?
  8. Registered User

Yeah, I'm doing cardio before breakfast. I'm eating about every 2.5 hours, so I guess I will just have to throw a can of tuna, in with a meal or two or a protein shake in between meals. I am getting about 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight (so I am trying to avoid eating anymore), and I don't want to eat anymore carbs, so I am having trouble finding sources of food for more calories so my intake isn't so low.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JBsharp View Post
    Yeah, I'm doing cardio before breakfast. I'm eating about every 2.5 hours, so I guess I will just have to throw a can of tuna, in with a meal or two or a protein shake in between meals. I am getting about 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight (so I am trying to avoid eating anymore), and I don't want to eat anymore carbs, so I am having trouble finding sources of food for more calories so my intake isn't so low.
    I'm not really sure what you have agaist carbs. in the early part of the day their the best for you and as already stated above, lowering the intake throughout the day. I've already lost 10 lbs. in 6 weeks doing just that, having only one cheat meal a week (and eating that cheat meal early in the day, NOT at the end) for those early morning meals throw in 1/2 a cup of brown rice or even a cup. if your really not wanting the carbs then increase your egg, meat or add some cheese to your diet, just try and do it early to mid day so that your body will burn fat throughout the night when you sleep and will continue to do so in the morning when you do your cardio. do you own fat calipers? if not get one? stick to a specific style of eating (like it sounds you are already doing) and check you fat loss not you weight loss every week, make adjustments where and when necessary. DO NOT just go by what the scale says, if you are losing fat and maintaining or increasing muscle then F-ing congrats you've found an eating pattern and style that works for your body and life style. this however might take weeks or months to get right, depending on how much to stick with it and monitor it as well. currently I'm very pleased with my fat loss except in 2 specific areas on myself (nip area and lower abdomen) but I'm confident it will work out as long as i take my own advise given here. also i will make one more suggestion....buy a book....i DO NOT enjoy reading but this book is the siht, "Better than steroids" written by a doctor....can't remember the name but I'm sure someone here knows it......just go to amazon...you'll find it. GREAT book!
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  178 lbs.

Yeah its called "Better Than Steroids" by Dr. Warren Willey. I have never read it, but the reviews look good, looks like a good solid source that will save you lots of time, so you don't have to search forums and websites forever.

Yeah i do the same as lennoxchi, and it worked great for me, i keep my body fat really low, muscle mass high, and strength keeps going up. Theres a few times you can get away with carbs and ur body won't use them as they usually would, 1. morning right when u wake up, & 2. right after a workout, so i wouldn't be too scared to have some good carbs then.

also on the cardio before breakfast, i think its a great way to lose weight fast, i just wouldn't do it too long or u'll burn too much muscle, i would be sure to be taking glutamine on a regular basis, and only do cardio before breakfast for 25-35 minutes, if u go hard enough, that is plenty of time.
  11. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

I wouldn't do 5 straight days of LC. I personally like to do a 3:1 ratio of carb cycling because, for me at least, I do not lose muscle and/or strength this way, and it keeps fat loss at a steady clip.

Also, take either a milk or egg protein before bed instead of whey.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Critique my diet please....
    By tshaw024 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2010, 05:17 PM
  2. My diet - please critique
    By Dlpg11910847 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 05:22 PM
  3. JudoJosh attempt at anabolic diet log...
    By JudoJosh in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 01-18-2009, 10:40 PM
  4. CKD Diet Critique
    By OCCFan023 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-18-2008, 12:11 PM
  5. New Diet Critique
    By MPFit in forum Bulking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-07-2006, 10:36 PM