C0rk's Velocity Diet Log

C0rk

C0rk

Awards
So I had a separate log for my initial weight-loss regimen (which turned into a recomp regimen) and had some great success with feedback and the actual plan. I went down from 170 to 165 then back up to 170, losing 2% BF in the process and gaining lots of strength. You can find that here: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/weight-loss/86544-enough-enough-c0rk.html

So its time to add some novelty and get some kick-ass fat loss going, velocity style:

6 shakes =
6 scoops True Protein TEAMSKIP
8 T Milled Flaxseed
12 EFA capsules
Psyillium as Needed
=============
~1300 cal (206g protein)

Supplements: Creatine, Beta-Alanine, BCAA, Ephedrine/Caffeeine

On workout days, I'll probably sub Whey for my PWO shake and put 1/4 cup rolled oats in my Pre/PWO shakes. 1 meal/wk cheat.

Also, some of y'all HCers will scoff @ my next Saturday Cinco de Mayo celebration cheat, where I will be having Mexican food and some booze, but a man's gotta live.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
cool! somehow i've gained back a bit of what weight I lost doing the velocity, although my waist is the same size size as its smallest. so I guess 6lbs up with no waist change isn't all bad

C0rk

C0rk

Awards
1 shake down. Man is THIS going to suck, haha.

So, my usual shakes contained oats, blueberries, milk, etc. This is the first time they are simply water/flax.

Does 6 oz per shake sound correct? I have an 18 oz mixer cup and 3 scoops of whey with the flax and about 12 oz of water, which fills up the mixer cup. So, is my entire day of meals consisting of two of these cups? Any more water and it seems like it'd be too watery.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeap thats it.

you can add psyllium to add fill feeling, and then use a bit more water. looses some taste at that point of course.

C0rk

C0rk

Awards
Well, day 2 down. Not too bad. As I expected from previous dieting experiences, once you cut out high-GI carbs from your diet, you really don't get hunger pangs. Today I woke up not a bit hungry.

I started @ 172 lbs yesterday. Was 169 today, haha. I know its water, but it's still kinda fun.

Lifted for the first time today, and I actually went up in some of my lifts. Perhaps that's just the residual glycogen in my muscles, but it was still nice to see gains. I'm still sticking with putting some rolled oats in my Pre/PWO shakes for some workout/recovery carbs, but only about 1/4 cup split between the two.

I did 20 mins of light jogging/walking after my workout. Am I right in assuming that low-intensity cardio is all that I should be doing to avoid going completely catabolic?

kram

Awards
Are those your cals everyday? You should be higher on workout days.

I dropped about 15lbs doing it, losing 1" off my neck, more than 2" off my waist & little bit here & there. My arms actually went up in size.

It goes by fast man...just stick to it & grind it out. I did all 28 days pretty strict using whey & casein from allthewhey. I also purchased some Teamskip just for a different flavor & the covenience of using 1 tub. Honestly it wasn't all that hard to do. I'm on week 1 of the transition back to solid food (1 solid meal/day)...food seriously never, ever tasted so good.

I may do another 2~3 week run later in the summer after doing some normal cutting for the next couple months.

I noticed that by week 3 some of my lifts dropped whereas some others improved...go figure. After adding some calories & eating some normal food my workouts are rapidly improving.

Week 1 is easy, week 2 is hard, 3 is hard (but not as bad as 2), week 4 is easy.

A good fat burner (I used Scorch & then Recreate) helps with the workouts & energy levels.

Have fun!

C0rk

C0rk

Awards
Yes, those are my daily calories, though I'm adding in 1/4 cup of rolled oats on workout days. Are you saying I should add more? Maybe a cup, split up between Pre/PWO ?

I don't think I plan on going for the full 4 weeks, but who knows. I'd like to see my results after 2 weeks and, perhaps, continue as long as I don't feel like I'm plateauing.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, the original t-nation one got the base calories non-workout days, and an extra 300 cal post workout shake workout days

kram

Awards
Yes, those are my daily calories, though I'm adding in 1/4 cup of rolled oats on workout days. Are you saying I should add more? Maybe a cup, split up between Pre/PWO ?

I don't think I plan on going for the full 4 weeks, but who knows. I'd like to see my results after 2 weeks and, perhaps, continue as long as I don't feel like I'm plateauing.
Yeah, as EasyEJL mentioned. If you want semi-follow the way it was done on T-nation up your cals on workout days.

At 172 lbs you should be 1,300 non-workout & 1580~1600 on workout days.

You could up your protein & add more PWO carbs on workout days for the extra 300 cals. I used maltodextrin & dextrose (.5sc of each)...but I don't see why rolled oats wouldn't work if youre getting enough cals/carbs from it. Shugart suggested no more than 100gr carbs on workout days.

C0rk

C0rk

Awards
Well, my original thought was to add the oats PWO, but on another thread I started, someone recommended to not add in extra carbs.

That's what I get for believing everything on the internet!

weakestlink

Awards
  • Established
How long do you do that for? THat is horrible for you.

weakestlink

Awards
  • Established
where can I find this diet. YOu know when vitamins were first being founded for supplementation they were used on rats. The scientist (i dont remember his name) fed them a completely supplemental diet. They died shortly after. He retried the experiment this time adding milk to their diets and they all grew and lived healthily. How true this is for humans I do not know but it may not be as bad as we thought or it maybe just as bad. After all we are using milk for our shakes right? :)

C0rk

C0rk

Awards
No milk in these shakes. Just protein powder, water, flax, and flavoring!

Just google "t-nation" and "velocity diet". You should be able to find them. I'm @ work right now so I don't have the link.

kram

Awards
How long do you do that for? THat is horrible for you.
28 days + a two week transition period & it's not that bad for you. IMO people do much more damage to their body with highly processed junk food.

Is it a little extreme? Maybe...but I found the mental challenge & discipline I gained worthwhile. You get adequate protein & healthy carbs & fats from flax/fish oil. Multi-vitamins should already be a staple in anyones diet.

C0rk, make sure & take before/after pics & measurements. You should be pleased with the difference if you stick to it.

Also...if you feel the need to chew, try the V-Diet cookie/muffin, they're actually pretty stinking good!

I didn't use Metabolic Drive so I sub’d w/ my own stuff.

Here are the original recipes I found:

Chocolate brownie
2 scoops Chocolate Metabolic Drive
1 serving (2 tbsp) flax meal
1 tbsp natural peanut butter
1/4 cup water

Banana bread
2 scoops banana Metabolic Drive
1 tbsp natural peanut butter
1/4 cup water

Vanilla cinnamon
2 scoops vanilla Metabolic Drive
1 tbsp coconut oil (not on the VDiet, but can be sub’d for NPB)
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/4 cup water

For any of the flavors:
Mix all ingredients.
Bake for about 8 minutes at 325 F.

Cook these in a mini-muffin tin (each cup holds 1.5 tbsp).
Each batch makes 6 mini-muffins.

I sorta made the first one with the following:
  • 1sc of ATW choco whey
  • 1sc of ATW choco casein
  • 1 tbsp NPB
  • 2 tbsp Flax
  • 1/4 ~ 1/2 cup H20 (adjust for consistency…sorta want a batter)
I didn’t have a muffin tin, so I just took a round cake pan & did 6 cookie shapes. 8 minutes wasn’t long enough & they didn’t cook in the middle. I nuke’d them for a minute & that helped, but next time I have to cook them longer.

I think they’d be better w/ chocolate Teamskip protein or just ATW whey. ATW’s choco casein doesn’t have the greatest flavor. Nice little alternative to a protein shake. Next time I may try them with a little splenda or cinnamon mixed in.

C0rk

C0rk

Awards
Whoa...I didn't realize I could turn the shakes into actual food, heh. Isn't the peanut butter "cheating" though?

Also, I already posted before pics (about 2 months) ago before I started my recomp in another thread:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/weight-loss/86544-enough-enough-c0rk.html

so I'll just compare my results after the VD to those. I've already lost 4 pounds so I'd just as soon compare to my original start as opposed to right now.

kram

Awards
Whoa...I didn't realize I could turn the shakes into actual food, heh. Isn't the peanut butter "cheating" though?
Nope! PB (natural) is perfectly acceptable on the V-Diet. Just keep track of your cals/fats for the day. I use it in my last shake of the day

C0rk

C0rk

Awards
Okay, I lied.

Last night I was hungry and this morning I woke up hungry. Not starving, mind you, but enough that I wanted something more than a shake...like a cheeseburger.

Do you think that I should add another shake or something? Just try taking BCAA before bed? Today I'm going to bump up my cals with some nice rolled oats, cuz' its a WO day, so maybe that will be the difference maker. Still, I can't wait for my mexican fiesta on Saturday, haha.

FWIW, I weighted in @ 166 this morning. 6 lbs in 3 days...reminds me of my wrestling days!

snookl187

snookl187

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, as EasyEJL mentioned. If you want semi-follow the way it was done on T-nation up your cals on workout days.

At 172 lbs you should be 1,300 non-workout & 1580~1600 on workout days.

You could up your protein & add more PWO carbs on workout days for the extra 300 cals. I used maltodextrin & dextrose (.5sc of each)...but I don't see why rolled oats wouldn't work if youre getting enough cals/carbs from it. Shugart suggested no more than 100gr carbs on workout days.
malodextrin and dextrose have no place on a weight loss regimen. (dextrose=insulin spike) The body cannot burn fat when insulin is turned on. Furthermore simple carbs will give you hunger pains. If you must add carbs rolled oats is the much better option. Again dextrose PWO is for gaining/maintaining muscle and people prone to putting on fat should not even touch it.

C0rk

C0rk

Awards
I just bought some more psyillium (ran out a few days ago) so I'll try putting more of that in my shakes and see if that helps.

I'm definitely steering clear of malodextrin and other simple sugars, for now. In general, I don't really think I would take it anyway cuz I'm an endo, but certainly not during this diet.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
in the small 20-30g amount immediately PWO, I don't think its a big deal, but theres nothing wrong with skipping it either :)

C0rk

C0rk

Awards
Well, hopefully I can make it through today and go another week. I've noticed that I've gotten dizzy a few times when I've gotten up from bed or a chair and I'm thinking that it might be from doing this stupid diet.

Since I'm going to have a whole meal for dinner, I'll see how I feel tomorrow. If I have a dizzy spell after that, then I'm going to stop.

Weighed in @ 165 today (same as yesterday). It sucks not losing a couple pounds a day anymore, haha.

C0rk

C0rk

Awards
So I did a lot of damage to my body last night in the celebration of "the victory of an ill-equipped Mexican army fending off a large invading French force at the Battle of Puebla" as well as the Flyers' victory over Les Habitants. Whole food never tasted so good, haha. Woke up hungover as hell this morning and went to Dunkin Donuts for a breakfast sandwich hangover cure, haha.

Will reconvene the velocity diet this afternoon.

snookl187

snookl187

Awards
  • Established
cork likes to party!:drunk: The dizziness you experienced can be diminished with rolled oats. Whenever you feel dizzy or hypo just have some complex carbs and you'll feel better almost instsantly.

C0rk

C0rk

Awards
Yeah, it seems like the dizziness has gone away, so it's definitely cuz' of the diet. I'll try the carbs thing next time to see if it works.

I really hope I gained back more water weight than usual from hydrating myself all-day yesterday...because I weighed in @ 170 this morning, haha. That pretty much wiped out every thing from last week.

Gonna give myself a few days back on the diet to see if its just my body getting itself righted after my Saturday night bender...I can't see one night canceling out my gains for a whole week of the v-diet.

kram

Awards
Yeah, it seems like the dizziness has gone away, so it's definitely cuz' of the diet. I'll try the carbs thing next time to see if it works.

I really hope I gained back more water weight than usual from hydrating myself all-day yesterday...because I weighed in @ 170 this morning, haha. That pretty much wiped out every thing from last week.

Gonna give myself a few days back on the diet to see if its just my body getting itself righted after my Saturday night bender...I can't see one night canceling out my gains for a whole week of the v-diet.
One night won't kill ya...most of that gain will be water. Just keep drinking more water...you'll get rid of it again. Keep up the good work C0rk.

Tho the above poster mentioned not using malto/dex PWO, I was still able to lose 15 lbs on the V-diet. I would definitely consider myself an endo as well. I'm not saying they're the best PWO carb on this diet, but I still lost a good amount of fat using them.

However my fat loss seemed to slow down dramatically after the 3rd week. I'm now into my second week of the transition phase (2 solid meals/day)...haven't gained back any weight this week, but haven't lost either...which is dissapointing.

Could it be the malto/dex? What would be a better PWO carb option besides rolled oats? I'm at 200 now & my goal is 180~185.

C0rk

C0rk

Awards
Could it be the malto/dex? What would be a better PWO carb option besides rolled oats? I'm at 200 now & my goal is 180~185.
I don't thinik malto/dex is EVER necessary for an endo. We put on weight enough as it is...we don't need that malto/dex insulin spike to help us.

Any Low-GI carb is fine, even vegetables, though oats are cheap, easy to fix up/grind/chug w/e.

Also, if you're back up to two solid meals/day and get enough carbs, you might want to try some HITT. That's supposedly even better than low-intensity cardio @ long-term fat loss.

kram

Awards
Also, if you're back up to two solid meals/day and get enough carbs, you might want to try some HITT. That's supposedly even better than low-intensity cardio @ long-term fat loss.
Yeah...that's what I intended to start doing last week...just did one day, was my own fault...I just didn't make time for it. Going on a small vacation in a couple days to sunny Fla. When I get back I'm gonna start doing some HIIT.

BTW - I'm in Jersey, right outside Philly...Flyers are my second team (long-time Devils fan). But since they're out of it: LET'S GO FLYERS!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i've found I don't feel an insulin spike even from pretty simple carbs post workout. I've been using muscle delight or anabolic window and don't notice the insulin... might just be me tho

snookl187

snookl187

Awards
  • Established
i've found I don't feel an insulin spike even from pretty simple carbs post workout. I've been using muscle delight or anabolic window and don't notice the insulin... might just be me tho
Like you said Easy 30g probably wouldn't hurt. When people talk about dextrose it's usually around 50-75g I find. I do feel a crash after 30g though even PWO.

snookl187

snookl187

Awards
  • Established
One night won't kill ya...most of that gain will be water. Just keep drinking more water...you'll get rid of it again. Keep up the good work C0rk.

Tho the above poster mentioned not using malto/dex PWO, I was still able to lose 15 lbs on the V-diet. I would definitely consider myself an endo as well. I'm not saying they're the best PWO carb on this diet, but I still lost a good amount of fat using them.

However my fat loss seemed to slow down dramatically after the 3rd week. I'm now into my second week of the transition phase (2 solid meals/day)...haven't gained back any weight this week, but haven't lost either...which is dissapointing.

Are you giving yourself 1 day a week to cheat and load up on carbs. If your body knows it's starving it's not going to readily give up it precious fat stores.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Like you said Easy 30g probably wouldn't hurt. When people talk about dextrose it's usually around 50-75g I find. I do feel a crash after 30g though even PWO.
yeah, thats where I really like muscle delight. tastes sweet, but actually under 20g of carbs, with 30g of protein, and a nice mix overall. if you look at the studies on the whole post workout thing, seems like most of us misinterpret it. The whole spike boost of protein synthesis was in people who fasted overnight, worked out first thing, then took 20g of sugar with 10g of protein. that showed more protein synthesis over 10g protein alone. but given that it was after a fasted workout anyhow, its not too meaningful really. some carbs is nice, just to replenish the energy used in the workout

kram

Awards
Are you giving yourself 1 day a week to cheat and load up on carbs. If your body knows it's starving it's not going to readily give up it precious fat stores.
I haven't really been having a 'cheat meal' per se. Usually on Sunday's I'll eat more calories & do add some carbs, but still trying to keep it real clean.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Think I've kept my cals too low & put myself in starvation mode & that's why my body doesn't want to give up any fat.

C0rk

C0rk

Awards
Well, it looks like my velocity diet is coming to an end. I've decided to go away tomorrow and won't be back until next weekend...gonna go visit some friends/family and I'm definitely not going to be hauling my blender around.

So, I'm back to 165...and hope that I'm at least below 170 when I start to eat real food and get my glycogen/water stores up back to normal...otherwise the experience would be wasted. I kind of liked not having to prepare any food for two weeks...I might do it just to change things up for a bit every once in a while.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Whisky Weight Loss 10
Weight Loss 2
ddfox Supplement Auction 2
Weight Loss 1
C0rk Weight Loss 106