Lifting empty stomach

sameerkhan51

sameerkhan51

Awards
Hi,
I was wondering if it is a good idea to lift weights on an empty stomach in the mornings before Cardio? Goal is to lose body fat but keep the Muscle as much as possible..
N E help will be appreciated

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
IMO you are much better off fueling your workout and reaping the benefits of fat loss from the recovery period (which will be much more intense if you can keep your workout intensity at peak levels. Remember the majority of your fat loss won;t occur in the gym but rather outside of it). Also if you plan on doing cardio afterwards it would be smart again to provide at least a little bit of fuel prior.

I must admit I have been testing out working out on an empty stomach (running a CKD) and it has dropped my workout intensity a considerable amount. I still get some lifts in (and cardio is fine, but am on ReCreate atm) but I would recommend you stay with a pre meal for the above reasons.

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
How much muscle do you want to lose?

payner

payner

Awards
eating before workout

If I workout on an empty stomach I feel drained during my workout and can't find that extra explosive power.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I train both ways some days I just can't eat before the gym, and others I have a small snack. Never eat much though, I can't lift after a big meal.

sameerkhan51

sameerkhan51

Awards
weight lifting has to be done before cardio right?
Here i am pointing at Intense Cardio!!

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Weights before cardio yes.

So you talking about fasted cardio in your original question? I do empty stomach but at a lower heart rate level. I mix HIIT with empty stomach for fat loss and it works quite well.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
How much muscle do you want to lose?
Hmm.. really?

I always ate a meal pre workout.. Usually just a shake, and a whole wheat bagel or oats.

When i started a low carb diet(AD) i stopped eating pre-workout. I feel allot better while working out, no fatigue due to not eating, and during my winter bulk added a good amount of mass.. So no muscle loss.

Now that i am cutting, i sip on some BCAA's while training. Then eat immediately post workout. I don't think i am losing much mucle at all.

I think some things get over analyzed.

sameerkhan51

sameerkhan51

Awards
Weights before cardio yes.

So you talking about fasted cardio in your original question? I do empty stomach but at a lower heart rate level. I mix HIIT with empty stomach for fat loss and it works quite well.
Yeah true.. Thx man.. i feel like doing HIIT on empty stomach!!

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
careful with the HIIT on empty stomach as it is very taxing and can lead to muscle loss if over done (especially empty stomach). A pre meal or lifting then HIIT will provide you with extended fat loss throughout the day which is when you should be focused on making the majority of your gains (or losses in this case)

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
What I meant above was you need food in you when you lift or your gonna just be wasting muscle. It depends on how long ago you ate/drank a meal before you lift..

ThePatriot

Awards
eat until satisfied, i wouldn't recommend not eating before any exercise, i have personally blacked out a couple times from blood pressure and blood sugar deficiencies and a bunch of other fancy crap, point is you need food and energy.

searcyc2

Awards
Is this considered a pre work out meal? I'll eat a meal (chicken, spinach) 2 hrs before I lift. I take drive/rpm 1.5 hrs after I eat then workout 30 min later. I'm on the anabolic diet so pre wo meals are tough to get in esp when dosing drive rpm.

lector606

lector606

Awards
Is this considered a pre work out meal? I'll eat a meal (chicken, spinach) 2 hrs before I lift. I take drive/rpm 1.5 hrs after I eat then workout 30 min later. I'm on the anabolic diet so pre wo meals are tough to get in esp when dosing drive rpm.
I'd say that's OK if your workout is rather short (under 75 minutes or so) but any longer than that you are going to want to get some protein/carbs in you (maybe a shake with some whey and sugar, or just whey and bring one of those little containers of applesauce or something... i do this lol)