best diet for fat loss?

ofwolfandman

Awards
hey guys I was wondering which would be better for fat loss...a TKD or just a regular split like 40%protein, 30%carbs, and 30%fat or something like that. Im doing the TKD now and seem to be seeing some results but Im going crazy. As long as I keep calories under maintenance, I should see results either way, right? Or is the TKD better? Thanks

ofwolfandman

Awards
by the way im on the tkd right now, 180 pounds, eating around 2200 cals a day. if i eat more of a tradtiona diet but keep it at 2200 cals, would the results be the same?

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
It depends on how you respond to each diet. No one here knows what you should do to loose weight. If you are seeing results on the TKD then keep it up. If you find you can't handle the low carbs than switch to a more conventional approach like you mentioned.

Its all about how your body responds to certain aspects. Find principles that work for you and make an individualized plan. Thats your best course of action.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
i am no expert at all, but i am of the opinion that it wouldn't make much difference either way. however, i am gonna assume that with the TKD, your carb intake will be lower/fat intake will be higher than with a traditional diet. i think that a TKD, having said this, will be better for you, as you will only take in carbs when you NEED THEM, which i would imagine be a few in the morning, a few more before/after workouts?

it sounds like the TKD is a bit for you to get used to. it sounds like you become overwhelmed with how many/where to place your carbs in your day. i would say just work to where you don't have to go above 100g on training days, and at the end of the week, up them on an off day and have what i guess is called a 're-feed.'

ofwolfandman

Awards
so im 180 pounds.....so i take 180x15 to get my maintenance right? which is 2700. so how much of a deficit should i be in? 500?

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Thats a pretty general rule of thumb to find your calorie needs but you also have to adjust it to account for expenditure through gym and other activities. A deficit of 200-500 is a great place to start.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
really the tkd is probably one of the more useful low carb diet schemes, in that you can still get a small amount of carbs every workout. it is easier to loose fat with a lower carb diet for most people, and if you have only been on it a couple weeks it does tend to get easier to manage over time.

Fat gains generally come from insulin related response, which come from carbs.

Getting your body "used" to oxidizing fats for energy by having no carbs but high fat in the diet makes it easier to burn the fat that is already on your body.

What does your tkd look like in terms of 1 day's worth of eating?

ofwolfandman

Awards
well it's not too interesting since im at college and only have access to a limited amount of stuff. in the dining halls, it is really hard to eat to the specifications of a tkd. i have decided that a tkd diet is not right for me at this point in time because it's too hard being at school and everything. so, how does this look for a fat loss diet:

60 grams of fat
150-170 grams of carbs
200 grams of protein

I am 180, and this comes out to 2200 calories. I would eat the majority of my carbs at breakfast and after my workouts. I lift three times a weeks. MON. chest/back TUES. Shoulders/Arms WED. Legs The other days I walk at an incline on the treadmill for about an hour and 80% of my heart rate. So I have a couple questions...

1) Would this yield roughly the same results as the TKD?
2) On my cardio days, should I still consume carbs after my workout, at breakfast, etc.?

Thanks!

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
well it's not too interesting since im at college and only have access to a limited amount of stuff. in the dining halls, it is really hard to eat to the specifications of a tkd. i have decided that a tkd diet is not right for me at this point in time because it's too hard being at school and everything. so, how does this look for a fat loss diet:

60 grams of fat
150-170 grams of carbs
200 grams of protein

I am 180, and this comes out to 2200 calories. I would eat the majority of my carbs at breakfast and after my workouts. I lift three times a weeks. MON. chest/back TUES. Shoulders/Arms WED. Legs The other days I walk at an incline on the treadmill for about an hour and 80% of my heart rate. So I have a couple questions...

2) On my cardio days, should I still consume carbs after my workout, at breakfast, etc.?

Thanks!

you've relegated yourself to failure. it's NOT hard. you CAN do it. tell us the foods in your dining hall that are served on a regular basis. tell us in detail. in addition to your three meals, tell us the 'snacks' or 'mini-meals' as i call them you purchase from your local grocer that you keep in your room. if you do not have these things in your room, plan on getting them.

surely then someone can help you make it work EASILY. and you can then walk around getting cut up looking at all them other college lifters with their uniforms of bloat mockingly. hahahah! i'm on the Anabolic Diet. The snacks I'd have in my room'd be whey, cheese sticks, olive oil to mix with the whey, walnuts, and heavy cream. that's a tentative example.

ofwolfandman

Awards
I didn't say I couldn't do it, I just said that I would rather do a more traditional diet that's all.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I didn't say I couldn't do it, I just said that I would rather do a more traditional diet that's all.

It will be a very smart idea to choose a diet (rather a nutritional plan) that you know you won't be suffering through will be able to complete it (low carb/carb cycling certainly isn't for everyone.)

You would be fine doing a more traditional diet man, because in reality at the end of the day it comes down to calorie intake vs calorie expenditure (your in a net deficit you will loose weight.) Set up a diet that consists of the macros you laid out and see how your fat loss comes along. Then you tweak it until you are satisfied with the results.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, a CKD/TKD's main benefit is that it is almost nearly impossible to add more fat while on it (even if cals go over maintenance), and that in general fats tend to add more of a satisfying feel to meals. tuna on dry whole grain bread isnt' too exciting, tuna + cheese over greens is a little better :)

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

60 grams of fat
150-170 grams of carbs
200 grams of protein

Thanks!
what we "know" about you, you're:
  • weight: 180
  • height: 5'10"
  • you're a student
  • you want to lose weight
some things I think would make it easier for us to help you:
  • what's your BF%?
  • training experience?
  • how much weight have you lost and in how long?
  • what are your goals? target (could be weight or BF%) and time frame to achieve you goal
  • you're a student, how flexible is your schedule and how much time are you willing to commit?

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Also, IMO any diet where you don't have control over your nutrition is bound for failure...

how many meals per week do you actually cook/prep yourself?

ofwolfandman

Awards
I prepare a lot for myself...the only times I eat in the dining hall is breakfast, lunch, and dinner. My bf% is around 15, my goal in a couple months is 10%.

ofwolfandman

Awards
i have A LOT of training experience....but last winter I did a bulk that got out of control haha and im still suffering from the effects.... so far I have lost 20 pounds from 2 winters ago without really trying...just been eating a lot cleaner...but now im dead serious about getting ripped....I've never had abs and I'm not going to settle for that so here we are...

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I prepare a lot for myself...the only times I eat in the dining hall is breakfast, lunch, and dinner. My bf% is around 15, my goal in a couple months is 10%.
so, you don't eat there very much...just breakfast, lunch, and dinner:frustrate

ofwolfandman

Awards
yea that's right man. three out of my 7 or 8 times i consume something. I have breakfast, then a meal after that, then lunch, then my pre workout meal, then my post workout meal, then dinner, then i eat two more times before i go to bed. if you're going to insult me keep them to yourself please.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well, rotating back around to the original question, what you really need to do is work out a set of macros you can follow, stick with that for a month, then the next month change to different carb/protein/fat ratios, and follow it for a month, and compare both the fat loss as well as strength gains for the two. Each person's body chem is different, so what may work well for me may not for you

ofwolfandman

Awards
so if i was to do the more traditional method(with carbs) when would i eat them and how much would i eat. for instance, spread throughout the day, just breakfast and post workout, etc...

ofwolfandman

Awards
i have decided to stay on the tkd for awhile longer ....i think haha. im going to add in a lot more cardio and see what happens. i dont think i have been on this diet long enough to change it yet. im not too worried about muscle loss...my arsenal of supplements should help with that.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
The best dieting strategy to lose excess 'baggage' is to just eliminate the crap from your diet. Eat wholesome foods.

Get rid of:
1. Refined foods
2. Products with preservatives (some exceptions)
3. Diet $#!+
4. Soda, fruit juices, etc.
5. Breads, short grain rice, pasta, processed cereals
6. Dairy, unless it's organic and keep that to a minimum. To be honest, dairy is full of allergens, hormones (unwanted ones), and preservatives and undergoes a lot of refinement.
7. Don't count protein shakes or MRPs as meals. They're pretty much refined, scientific crap. Take a postworkout shake with a good quality protein powder and lay off the convenient shakes.

Eat more of:
1. Fresh vegetables and fruits
2. Unprocessed grains
3. Lean, quality protein sources (poultry, fish, beef, shellfish)
4. Healthy fats (from unprocessed nuts, fatty fish, flax, seeds)
5. Organic foods whenever the budget permits

Drink more water. Drink lots of fresh water. Stay away from coffee and try yerba mate` tea for an energy boost. Drink green tea or oolong tea for a mild pick-me-upper or an appetite suppressant.

Fuel your body and mind with carbs, protein, and some fats during the early day and then phase out carbs in the mid afternoon and taper off to protein/healthy fat/fiber based meals.

Don't eat 2-3 hours before bed (GH optimization).

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
good luck bro! feel free to PM me any time!

I'll send you the cardio routine I used when I was leaning really well.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
well, rotating back around to the original question, what you really need to do is work out a set of macros you can follow, stick with that for a month, then the next month change to different carb/protein/fat ratios, and follow it for a month, and compare both the fat loss as well as strength gains for the two. Each person's body chem is different, so what may work well for me may not for you
Sounds good Easy. Everyone's chem is different.

Certain rules remain constant. Keep the carbs for earlier on in the day (breakfast until mid afternoon and then phase them out by sticking to a base of lean protein, lots of colorful veggies, and some healthy fats).

Eat in color and eat natural, hearty, wholesome foods. You are what you eat. If you consume lots of unprocessed grains, lean meat, and colorful, fresh vegetables, I can GUARANTEE that you will not be a fat pig.

Eat a diet of convience foods like fastfood or premade powdered crap (typical American lazy-bird), you'll probably be the epitome of modern day mankind: overweight, bloated, amotivated, and full of animosity.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
i have A LOT of training experience....but last winter I did a bulk that got out of control haha and im still suffering from the effects.... so far I have lost 20 pounds from 2 winters ago without really trying...just been eating a lot cleaner...but now im dead serious about getting ripped....I've never had abs and I'm not going to settle for that so here we are...
I'm not sure what the point is of doing a bulk that's so friggen sloppy, you're trying to lose weight from it 2 years later. That's more like a schmorgasborg/pigout, not a bulk. People have the wrong idea of what a bulk should be. It's annoying when people have to say, "I'm going on a clean bulk", as opposed to... a dirty bulk? Bulking is still disciplined and should be done in a health-conscious manner. You shouldn't just go from eating healthy to eating donuts and ice-cream because you have an excuse that is called "It's ok, I'm bulking up."

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Drink more water. Drink lots of fresh water. Stay away from coffee and try yerba mate` tea for an energy boost. Drink green tea or oolong tea for a mild pick-me-upper or an appetite suppressant.
what's wrong with coffee (considering it's not loaded with cream and sugar)?

ofwolfandman

Awards
hey guys what are some good non liquid forms of protein that i could buy and put in my dorm room? i have been practically living off whey protein for my protein source and i know this is bad...im boated to all hell because of it. do they make hard boiled eggs you can buy or something?

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
what's wrong with coffee (considering it's not loaded with cream and sugar)?
Don't buy into the "it's got anti-oxidants too!" crap. For any of the benefits of some of the anti-oxidants and methylxanthines like theobromine, caffeine isn't good for you and will remain in your body for long periods of time and can cause unwanted effects such as disturbed sleep (even if not consumed near bedtime) and sustained, elevated cortisol levels.
If you're trying to lose weight through diet, exercise, and healthy living, stay away from it.
Don't justify using it because, "it recruits more muscle fibers into the contraction during exercise".

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
hey guys what are some good non liquid forms of protein that i could buy and put in my dorm room? i have been practically living off whey protein for my protein source and i know this is bad...im boated to all hell because of it. do they make hard boiled eggs you can buy or something?
You know it's bad and you're bloated to all hell because of it... So you want to know how to get more?

Hardboiling an egg doesn't require a culinary class, though some people just don't get how to put a pot of water on the stove, turn it on, and place some eggs in there for a time.

ofwolfandman

Awards
how is protein bad? i said i am living off whey protein (protein shakes) and that's why im bloated, not from protein itself. i dont have a stove in my dorm room to hard boil eggs nor anything that cooks anything for that matter!

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
how is protein bad? i said i am living off whey protein (protein shakes) and that's why im bloated, not from protein itself. i dont have a stove in my dorm room to hard boil eggs nor anything that cooks anything for that matter!
damn man, that's some pretty substandard living! that sucks. You can't make the impossible, so either keep living on powder (which isn't food), get a job at a restaraunt or market and start using an employee discount, boil some eggs on someone else's stove, get a foreman grill, or start a fire outside and start roasting some meats.

ofwolfandman

Awards
i've never heard of a dorm room with a stove in it. i cant keep living on powder though. i wish they made pre-maid hard boiled eggs you could buy at the store. do they? i would do beef jerky but all the sodium would just make me bloated still....stupid dorm living

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
there are some stores that sell eggs preboiled, I know publix does. under $3 a dozen, so really not too bad

ofwolfandman

Awards
Can I get some suggestions on this: I'm 180ish pounds and about 14-15 percent bodyfat.

Is 8 percent do-able in 2 months?

How low could I drop the calories to without losing much muscle?

My supplements are: animal pak, whey, l-glutamine, xtend, fish oil.

I workout 5 days a week with each body part getting its own day and run after each workout for about 15 minutes. Thanks again!

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Can I get some suggestions on this: I'm 180ish pounds and about 14-15 percent bodyfat.

Is 8 percent do-able in 2 months?

How low could I drop the calories to without losing much muscle?

My supplements are: animal pak, whey, l-glutamine, xtend, fish oil.

I workout 5 days a week with each body part getting its own day and run after each workout for about 15 minutes. Thanks again!
1. Anything is do-able. Anything is possible.

2. What kind of whey are you using?

3. Better start finding a way of eating whole foods. Dorm-room dwellers don't starve and they don't all eat powder.

4. Better switch your 'bodybuilder split' routine and start a high intensity approach to your training.
(EXAMPLE)
Monday/Weds/Fri: HIT full body workout
Tues/Thurs: HIIT training (15-20 minutes)
Weekends: Light cardio before breakfast

5. Look up some meal plans online and get a good cutting strategy, but I bet your metabolic rate is $#!+ if you've been sucking on whey for the majority of your meals.

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/weight-loss/90308-my-recomp-cut.html

i hope this can help you a little bit. im now a huge fan of carb cycling.

in response to your goal: think marathon, not sprint. trying to lose that much fat will probably mean a little bit too much of an effort (i.e. too extreme of conditions). what i mean is make mild changes, so when you come off your cut and reach your goal, you dont gain it all right back.

ofwolfandman

Awards
its not like whey protein is all i eat man. why would that have a bad effect on my metabolic rate?

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
its not like whey protein is all i eat man. why would that have a bad effect on my metabolic rate?
Just try the tips I gave you. Listen to me and everything I tell you and it'll all be okay.

Haha. J/K. Just try it out, it does work though.
"It works if you work it! Work it 'cause you're worth it!"

Consuming whey as a primary food source will slow down your metabolic rate. Although protein has a high thermic effect on the body, whey protein by itself is too easily digested and assimilated and will leave a lot more metabolic down-time in between meals.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
really there isn't much that you can keep non refrigerated

IronImpact

IronImpact

Awards
I think the best diet would be a bodyopus or Palumbo type diet. I have been training my clients with a modified version of those diets and it has worked wonders, and they actually gain LBM while dieting.