The old man wants to target the gut

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.17%

The old man wants to target the gut

Hey guys. My old man is wantin to target his gut in particular while still adding on a little muscle. Any advice?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Well you can't target fat loss, the body will pull fat from the sources it wants to (namely extremities first, then work its way in.)

The only advice I or anyone can give you is search around and setup a healthy nutritional program for him and teach him how to effectively utilize weights and cardio to archive his goals.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.17%

Thanks man. Low calorie diet? maintenance? And im slowly building up his cardio then im gonna hit the weight room with him. Hes not new to the weight room, just been out of the game for a while. He is however fairly new to the cardio thing. BP issues is what got him doin cardio. Thanks for the advice and any more would be much appreciated.
    •   

4. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.73%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

What kind of "gut" does he have? Flabby and soft, or large round and firm?
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.17%

Were not talkin about a huge beer belly here. Im sayin its on the firm side. I would think somethin like two or three cuts might take care of it. Im really tryin to get some exercise advice and diet advice cuz i have never really researched a diet for losing fat.
  6. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.73%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Take the above advice as far as training goes, and look into something like Lean Extreme to reduce cortisol levels. This should rapidly reduce his waist circumference and give him some great motivation to keep strict on the rest of the regimen.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.17%

Alright man. Will do. Thanks!
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.95%
    Achievements Posting Pro

if he's got a gut, he's overweight to a good degree i'd imagine. my opinion, my AMATEUR opinion, is that muscle building facilitates fat loss better than extreme bouts of cardio. starving yourself and running for hours on end will initially help with fat loss, but it will come to a halt later.

you should definitely get him in the weight room. i'd say let him do the machine circuit in superset fashion, full body, three times a week, with only a total of say 5 minutes rest between 5 supersets of 2 exercises. that's an anabolic/fat loss circuit for the beginner, or re-beginner, so as to help get back in the swing of things whilst avoiding injury. that's just an opinion, though.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.17%

You think the supersets will help him get the blood flowing and put on a little mass too?
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.95%
    Achievements Posting Pro

well, if he hasn't lift in forever, but has muscle memory, his strength should come back around rather quickly, especially if he eats well.

it'll certainly give him back some of that muscle he lost, which with a clean diet, will help him burn the fat at the same time.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.17%

thanks again guys. and thx in adv. to any more help
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Well it depends on what his more desired goal is here (just strip the fat with muscle gain secondary or vice versa.)

Personally I would look into a 4 day split of muscle building exercises followed by 30 minute cardio sessions (The only reason I like this route is it seems like it would be more up your Dads ally/liking with previous lifting experience.) Also if he has the time/desire maybe 1 or 2 empty stomach cardio sessions thrown int here as well. Talk to your Dad and figure out what he wants to do (because if he hates what he is doing, he won't keep it up)
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.26%

Quote Originally Posted by Manimalia View Post
    if he's got a gut, he's overweight to a good degree i'd imagine. my opinion, my AMATEUR opinion, is that muscle building facilitates fat loss better than extreme bouts of cardio. starving yourself and running for hours on end will initially help with fat loss, but it will come to a halt later.
    You're a smart amateur!

Build muscle with weights, skip the cardio and do slow fat burning exercises 3 times a week 30-45 minutes. As boring as it may be, it will work better than any cardio for burning off fat. Many people get demotivated because the cardio isn't working for them and in fact sometimes causes higher amounts of cortisol levels because of elevated stress.

Diet and nutrition of course is the next key. When accumulated belly fat is burned, you can bet it will be releasing some estradiol back into his system. I would suggest the use of an AI or natural herbs for estrogen control.
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.84%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Manimalia View Post

you should definitely get him in the weight room. i'd say let him do the machine circuit in superset fashion, full body, three times a week, with only a total of say 5 minutes rest between 5 supersets of 2 exercises. that's an anabolic/fat loss circuit for the beginner, or re-beginner, so as to help get back in the swing of things whilst avoiding injury. that's just an opinion, though.

i totally agree.

For men my age and older, I believe getting as much muscle mass as possible is the key. Fat loss will follow with a sensible diet and small bouts of early AM cardio(25 minutes max)

I also believe performing cardio Post-resistance training is futile. IMO , cardio is the last thing a person would want in a catabolic state. My two cents.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Deadlift target achieved - time for a new target
    By CrazyBassGuy in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-25-2011, 01:08 AM
  2. DermaClen Target?
    By rochabp in forum Supplements
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-16-2010, 12:32 AM
  3. Dermatherm Target
    By Cool in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 9