Newbie help at trying to lose weight

iceman320

Awards
Hey everyone,

I recently just started about a week ago to start loosing alot of weight. Currently I am 6 foot and 250 pounds. I just started hitting the gym mon - fri but I am confused on what I should be doing. Should I focus more on cardio or weight training. My diet consist of oatmeal in the morning low fat yogurt as a snack, turkey sandwich for lunch and dinner is grilled chicken breast. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
It seems like this is your first entrance in to the land of iron?

If so thats awesome, weight lifting is one of the few honest things left in the world.

The most important thing to me is map out a diet that you can follow. If buying bulk chicken breasts and boiling up 2-3 pounds a day for protein is not your thing, you need to find what is.

If you have to go to subway and order a double meat chicken breast on wheat, go ahead. It is of utmost importance that you dial in food or your gym membership is useless.

You ever notice how theres always a couple fat guys/girls sitting on the cardio bikes everyday at the gym? Thats because after they do their "workout" they go treat themselves at McDonalds and dairy queen afterwards.

Cardio, in my opinion is necessary AFTER your workout, maybe 15-30min. Making a day of cardio sucks and will make you not want to go back to the gym.

It will also probly not give you the trasformation you desire.

I started weight lifting by working out 4 days a week. Chest/back. Shoulder/traps/abs. bi/tri. Legs. Use light weight at first. Who cares how much weight you can lift. Bodybuilding is about working a muscle, not your ego.

Go slow ,take you time, have fun with it. It provides a good escape. You dont ever want to have to go the gym, it should be something youwant to do.

Any way, i just realized ive been rambling on for a long time. Any Q's dont hesitate to ask.

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
If you want to lose a lot, you should probably concentrate more on cardio. Keeping your heart rate up for about 30 minutes straight, 4 or 5 times a week..

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
You should have short sessions of lifting with low weight at high reps. Only be in the gym for maybe 45 mins...and then do maybe 30-45 mins of cardio.

The only other sufficient way of doing cardio would be to do it in the morning when you wake with some bcaa and coffee.

Also...i'm not sure if thats a full days food that you posted or not, but you need to eat MUCH more.

Graglor

Graglor

Awards
  • Established
Figure out how many calories a day you need and where they come from (protein, carbs, fat?) and try to spread them out over five to six meals a day. Once the body gets used to regular caloric intake it stops storing calories as fat.

iceman320

Awards
Thanks everyone for the replys. Someone brought up what my normal daily food consist of. This is what I usually eat throughout day.

Wake up - Bowl of oatmeal with some fruit

9:30 - 10:30 - Low fat yogurt

12:30 - Turkey sandwich or a piece of grilled chicken

3:00 - 3:30 - Low fat yogurt

5:00 - 6:00 - Grilled chicken, fish, or a seared steak.

No soda just water all day. Should I be eating more or does this seem adequite.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
You have to be eating much more IMO.

You're getting almost no fruits and veggies in your diet whatsoever. Your cal's are way too low which is going to cause your system to burn fat AND muscle to lose weight (which is not what you want).

You are wayy too big to be eating so small.

iceman320

Awards
Anyway you could lay out a sample diet of what I should be eating deuce