Antioxidant nutrients....reduce the effects of oxidative stress!

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
Antioxidant nutrients....reduce the effects of oxidative stress!

Hey bro's, again not designed for BB'ers but this is a great article explaining why anti-oxidants are so important in any athletes life and how they can improve your overall health and training. WW7

Cold workouts contribute to oxidative stress

By Hal Walter

Having a tough time getting enthused about training outside in the cold this winter? It may be your body trying to tell you something.

<P class=text>Researchers have found that exercise stress is higher at cold temperatures, and that exposure to cold increases the production of oxygen free radicals. Anaerobic exercise and competition also increase free-radical production, as do air pollution, chemical exposure, altitude, the sun's rays and other dietary and lifestyle habits.

<P class=text>Increased production of free radicals leads to oxidative stress, which has been linked to heart disease, cancer, joint disease, muscle damage and pain, decreased immune function, increased rates of aging and other problems, none of which, needless to say, will improve your fitness.

<P class=text>The first step to reducing stress from cold-weather training is to assess your wintertime training needs. Depending on where you live, how cold it is, and other sources of oxidative stress, you may wish to decrease the durations of your workouts and exposure to the elements. On the coldest days, Dr. Phil Maffetone recommends cutting back on duration and rescheduling longer efforts for a warmer day. In addition, adjusting your training to include aerobic-only efforts using his 180 Formula as explained in <SPAN class=text>ttp://mafgroup.securedata.net/catalog/books/train_endure.shtml"><I>Training for Endurance</I></SPAN> can help reduce oxidative stress by increasing antioxidant enzymes.

<P class=text>Secondly, antioxidant nutrients have been demonstrated to "scavenge" free radicals and reduce the effects of oxidative stress. Some good sources include fruits, vegetables, berries, seeds, nuts, nut butters, soy, oats, extra-virgin olive oil, green tea, red wine and beef. Those who don't get enough antioxidants through the diet may need to take supplements. However, high-dose synthetic supplements have not been proven to be as effective as supplements made from real foods.

<P class=text>Whey can also be extremely important for controlling free radicals, as the body uses its components to produce glutathione, the most powerful antioxidant substance. Glutathione regulates the body's antioxidant defense mechanism, and is even more important than vitamin C and E, and other popular antioxidants. Whey also contains substances that can help improve muscle function, bolster the immune system, and prevent and treat many chronic conditions, from asthma and allergies to cancer and heart disease.

<SPAN class=text>By reducing free-radical production through moderating exercise intensity and duration on cold days, and increasing scavenging of free-radicals through consumption of antioxidants and whey, you'll find yourself healthier when it comes time to increase your training load when the weather warms in the springtime.</SPAN>

khafra

Awards
Very interesting.  Just so I'm sure I have it clear in my head, the whey component of milk protein will do all that, right?  Or does it have to be whey concentrate or isolate?

windwords7

Awards
  • Established
According to this article Whey has MANY benefits in thi oxidative process and beyond. Maybe we can get YJ to comment here as he is by far one of the most knowledgable guys I have ever known.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Naturally occuring anti-oxidants occur in whey and whey isolate. The 2 biggest being the glutathione that Jake mentioned and endogenous, another important one.You body will actually produce glutathione, since its one of the bodies primary defense mechanisms. Glutathione is a non essential amino acid, so the best way to supplement with it is a whey protein powder. Something like 1 gram a day is enough to get the job done, especially if you're also using a multi vitamin and eating a moderate amount of food.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Take ALA. Plus you get many more benefits with it besided being an anti-oxidant. 1/3 the dose will give you the anit-oxidant properties. 600mg per day is just fine.

khafra

Awards
Originally posted by khafra
Very interesting.  Just so I'm sure I have it clear in my head, the whey component of milk protein will do all that, right?  Or does it have to be whey concentrate or isolate?
What I was trying to say is, will a glass of milk do it, or do I need actual whey powder?