Help with weight-loss for an overweight, type-2 diabetic 60 year-old male

huthcrush

Awards
Hey AM,

My father is a 60 year old pastor looking to try and lose weight.

He is 6'6, 400lbs, at 34-38% body fat, and has been type two diabetic since his alcoholic 30's (since recovered). He has been declared mildly insulin resistant, and just light cardio and caloric restriction don't seem to help at all. Due to his weight and age, things like HIIT and heavy weight programs aren't really feasible at the moment, but dieting, supplimentation, and cardio + light weight lifting are. He has asked me to help, so I figured I might try and augment my knowledge with your help.

Any suggestions about diet, exercise programs, supplimentation, or general advice would all be appreciated.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Sounds like your father is commited to making a change. That is the single biggest hurdle.

The next is making the necessary lifestyle changes. Diabetes is a disease of energy (particularly in the form of glucose)metabolism impairment. To reduce the symptoms one needs to reduce his energy intake below the level at which it becomes impaired. Since this involves a calorie reduction, weight loss is usually accompanied.

Losing weight is simple math. If you are taking in less calories than your body is using for metabolism and exercise then by the laws of physics you HAVE to lose bodyweight (water doesn't factor in). If your father is not losing weight then he is still consuming too many calories or not expending enough energy through exercise.

I manage my condition by counting calories and following a meal plan. Many would consider this a huge pain in the ass but I figure that I am investing in my life. In addition to exercise, these are a type 2's best tools.

I found supplements touted to aid in blood sugar management to have zero real world value. IMO don't waste your time and money. Stick to a lower carb diet of whole foods of smaller and more frequent meals.

T H E O R E M

T H E O R E M

Awards
  • Established
Hey AM,

My father is a 60 year old pastor looking to try and lose weight.

He is 6'6, 400lbs, at 34-38% body fat, and has been type two diabetic since his alcoholic 30's (since recovered). He has been declared mildly insulin resistant, and just light cardio and caloric restriction don't seem to help at all. Due to his weight and age, things like HIIT and heavy weight programs aren't really feasible at the moment, but dieting, supplimentation, and cardio + light weight lifting are. He has asked me to help, so I figured I might try and augment my knowledge with your help.

Any suggestions about diet, exercise programs, supplimentation, or general advice would all be appreciated.

id say for someone in his current condition, VERY small changes in exercise and diet will be drastic for him. HIIT is PERFECT, have him do this as a walking protocol etc. but Not to go all out and make it too difficult, looks like you have a good plan in your head already though Id go with that. diet will definitely make or break everything so id have him avoid fast foods and sugars. Eat cleaner complex carbs. im unsure supplements would be any benefit until he makes more major progress as well.

Ive tryed this with my own father but hes so busy with other things, he usually drops it all. GOOD LUCK to you bro

kw1k

Awards
Could you guys guys afford a Personal trainer?, I mean you can find TONS of information on this website, and a lot of people can really help you, but if you need your father to be motivated ? maybe pushed? a trainer can really be of aid. However, if you can't then do some research on the forums you will find endless amounts of exercise routines , diets plans and etc..

It's a Life style man.. he has to want it, and it seems like he does.

What types of food does he usually eat throughout the day? or no let me re-phrase that. What types of food does your family normally have? and be honest.

If he is going to do this the whole family needs to help him, he cant be the only one eating "right" everyone needs to be eating the same

huthcrush

Awards
My father lives alone, so i cant really help with his diet. However, he told me he was doing something called NutriSystem. I havent checked out macronutrient contents or anything as I havent visited in a while, but atleast its something. He doesnt have the money for a personal trainer, or a gym membership for that matter. He uses the sub-mediocre facilities provided at his apartment complex. Thanks for your reccomendations, I really appreciate it. I am gonna try and work with him and resturcture his diet, and see if we can get things to work out.

Diet-wise, what is something you guys reccommend? There is the "classic" diets available, like Atkins, Zone, etc, or could just reccomend the sensible low-median carbs, less processed foods, no sugars etc.

Again, thank you so much for your comments.