CKD Diet Critique - AnabolicMinds.com

CKD Diet Critique

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.

CKD Diet Critique

Well for the past week or so I have been reading/researching about CKD principles and how to implement one successfully. Lyle McDonald's The Ketogenic Diet is current on order at Borders but may be some time (1-6 weeks) before it gets here and I am hoping to start my first depletion workout on Sunday.

I set most of it up but had some questions that I was hoping someone could help me out with.

1) For during the week macro break down I am planning on just following a 1.2grams of fat/pound of LBM and 1 gram of protein/pound of LBM. That comes out to roughly 216 grams of fat (1944 calories) 180 grams of protein (720 calories) and o get up to 2700 calories per day that leaves 14 grams of carbs per day buffer zone when I set up the actual meal plan. Does this sound like it would be sufficient (with 1.5 grams of fat the calories per day is way too high.)

2) On lifting days right after the carb up to deplete glycogen to around 70mmol/kg should it be done on an emtpy stomach or should one p/f meal be consumed before hand?

3) Similar to # 2, on Friday when I do the full body pre carb up workout is it better to do it on an empty stomach or have a little something before hand. I read that Lyle recommends (although its not completely necessary) to take in around 50 grams of carbs about 2 hours prior refill some glycogen in the liver to have it begin releasing insulin again (this was also said to make the carb up more anabolic?)

4) As far as types of food goes I have it basically down. Meat, Fish, Eggs, some greens, flax oil, EVOO, and so on. However I'm confused on what to take pre bed? I usually have cottage cheese but thats too high in carbohydrates. Any recommendations other than a casein shake and flax seed oil?

5) My plan is to carb up on Saturdays then deplete Sunday and Monday followed by cardio on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday (Thursday rest.) Would it be smarter to do 20-30 minuets of empty stomach cardio on those days or to have a meal in me before hand? Would empty stomach be to risky for protein break down?

Thanks a lot guys for any help on the subject. I'm looking forward to reading Lyle's book but need to get a quick jump on this if I want to start on Saturday.

2. Banned

Diet talk: complete proteins, macronutrient splits, carb cycling

that is what I am doing. it's working well. Maybe the info will help you
  3. Cub
    Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  218 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023 View Post
    1) For during the week macro break down I am planning on just following a 1.2grams of fat/pound of LBM and 1 gram of protein/pound of LBM. That comes out to roughly 216 grams of fat (1944 calories) 180 grams of protein (720 calories) and o get up to 2700 calories per day that leaves 14 grams of carbs per day buffer zone when I set up the actual meal plan. Does this sound like it would be sufficient (with 1.5 grams of fat the calories per day is way too high.)
    Don't stress yourself out too much with numbers. Try and keep your carbs as lo as possible though. I was consuming ONLY trace carbs, which meant my total consumption on most days was only 3-4.

2) On lifting days right after the carb up to deplete glycogen to around 70mmol/kg should it be done on an emtpy stomach or should one p/f meal be consumed before hand?
    I used an apple to break the ketosis. It is all I ate before the depletion workout. Once you start carbing, do not consume fat (or atleast try and keep it to a minimum).

3) Similar to # 2, on Friday when I do the full body pre carb up workout is it better to do it on an empty stomach or have a little something before hand. I read that Lyle recommends (although its not completely necessary) to take in around 50 grams of carbs about 2 hours prior refill some glycogen in the liver to have it begin releasing insulin again (this was also said to make the carb up more anabolic?)
    As above.

4) As far as types of food goes I have it basically down. Meat, Fish, Eggs, some greens, flax oil, EVOO, and so on. However I'm confused on what to take pre bed? I usually have cottage cheese but thats too high in carbohydrates. Any recommendations other than a casein shake and flax seed oil?
    Before bed I'd often have chocolate mousse (cream, sweetener, cocoa, protein, eggs) and a shake or something along those lines. Research and find recipes or you will die of boredom on this diet.

5) My plan is to carb up on Saturdays then deplete Sunday and Monday followed by cardio on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday (Thursday rest.) Would it be smarter to do 20-30 minuets of empty stomach cardio on those days or to have a meal in me before hand? Would empty stomach be to risky for protein break down?
    A ketogenic diet is protein sparing. You will not lose any size. Keep the meals frequent and keep your fat intake high. Don't stress if you thinking you're consuming too much fat. This is where most people go wrong.

P.S Don't forget your Clen and T3 J/K
    •   

4. Cub
    Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  218 lbs.

Also, check out Body Opus by Dan Duchaine. Old, but still a great piece of literature.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.

Thanks for the information guys. Yea Ill check out some recipes but I find I am pretty able to just eat the same stuff day in and day out with little mental insanity lol.
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I ate eggs before bed

This was the bomb and I'd eat it 3-4 times/day

4-6oz 85/15 Beef
    satued green pepers & onions
    1/4 provalon(sp?) cheese
    Damn that was good. Dont forget to chase with 2TBS EVOO.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    I ate eggs before bed

This was the bomb and I'd eat it 3-4 times/day

4-6oz 85/15 Beef
    satued green pepers & onions
    1/4 provalon(sp?) cheese
    Damn that was good. Dont forget to chase with 2TBS EVOO.
    Damn that sounds tasty. I'm looking forward to all the ground beef I will be having. Probably going to have ground beef with some flax pre bed. Off to search for more recipes.
  8. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Another good one.

1can tuna
    1/4 cup cheddar cheese
    2-4TBS low-carb salsa

But that sucka in the microwave and mix it up....damn that was good too

O and chase with 3TBS EVOO
  9. Banned

Another good one.

1can tuna
    1/4 cup cheddar cheese
    2-4TBS low-carb salsa

But that sucka in the microwave and mix it up....damn that was good too

O and chase with 3TBS EVOO

DW: assuming your a low-carb responder...(as I am slowly learning or at least I think so, that I am too) what does your daily diet look like.
  10. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by pudzian2 View Post
    DW: assuming your a low-carb responder...(as I am slowly learning or at least I think so, that I am too) what does your daily diet look like.
    Well Im back on carbs for the moment, because of baseball season it's waaaat to hard to follow a low carb diet. Here's what it looked like leading up to the season, remember I was trying to slowly diet also

Meal 1:
    6whole eggs
    1TBS heavy Whipping Cream
    1/4 cup cheese

Meal's 2/3/5/6
    One of the meals I listed above

Post-Workout:
    2scoops Whey
    10oz Low Carb Hood Calorie Countdown Milk

Before Bed:
    6whole eggs
    1/4 cup cheese
  11. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

I'm torn between doing a carb cycle diet to bulk or just hit carbs with breakfast/pre/post workout....

That workd very well for me a few years ago, I'm moving and found all my old diet plans on sunday so that turns all of my plans for diet's upside down for the summer,lol.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.

Solid diet plan. I'm heading to the store today to stock up on all CKD friendly foods then Ill plan it out and throw it up on here.

Personally I would not want to ckd bulk (just too man obstacles I feel like. But this is just my personally body reaction to carbs.) I do agree with your carb for breakfast than pre/post workout. When I first started out I had carbs with 5/6 meals I had and put on weight but fat followed along more than my liking. Last bulk I did 4/6 and had much better results. I think a lean bulk with 3/6 meals containing carbs would work very well.
  13. Banned

I'm torn between doing a carb cycle diet to bulk or just hit carbs with breakfast/pre/post workout....

That workd very well for me a few years ago, I'm moving and found all my old diet plans on sunday so that turns all of my plans for diet's upside down for the summer,lol.

im doing carbs with breakfast, pre and post. It is working quite well. On off days (2-3 times per week) I combine pre and post workout meals into one meal, and just eat the equivalent macro's that I would for any other meal (one that includes carbs)

btw If i do HIIT cardio and abs on an off day then I will eat similar to a workout day (but not sip on vitamin water which I do during weight training) If I do slow cardio or simply take OFF then I just eat like an OFF day. I eat relatively slow absorbing carbs pre workout like oats, and starchier carbs PWO like potatoes.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Please Critique my Diet
    By Jeff5886 in forum Bulking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-28-2010, 09:41 AM
  2. Critique my Diet
    By Testudo in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-09-2007, 05:43 PM
  3. Someone help me, Please Critique my diet.
    By Fun2Train in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-08-2007, 04:14 PM
  4. Someone help me, Please Critique my diet.
    By Fun2Train in forum Bulking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-28-2006, 11:35 PM
  5. New Diet Critique
    By MPFit in forum Bulking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-07-2006, 10:36 PM