13 Years Old

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.17%

13 Years Old

My oldest son ( which i just got custody of ) weighs in at 242 lbs! I almost fell over! I mean he is only 5'6" tall and 242 lbs.
    I already have him signed up at the gym but i have to get his diet in check quick! I will be open to any advice for a diet for a 13 year old! This is going to be tough. I will post updates.

2. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.72%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

you really should seek advice from a local pediatric nutritionalist.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.07%

i agree with the post above. but also i think it would be good if you went with me on runs everyday to get him use to it. becuz i doubt he will go if u just told him. also buy all healthy food that will force him to eat better at home. and if he has no money at school how is he going to eat there? make him bring lunches that u make. Im sure u can find alot of peoples diets on here that are healthy. but i would start with getting him to run in the mornings before school. he might be willing if no one can see him.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.17%

I have already started him eating right at home and doing 30 minutes a day on the eliptical at home when we are not hitting the gym. He buys his lunch at school and tells me what he eats so i just have to trust him there. He has dropped 5 lbs already. All he drinks is water and skim milk...Thanks for the advice. oh and going to the DR wens.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.5%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by GRIFF1966 View Post
    My oldest son ( which i just got custody of ) weighs in at 242 lbs! I almost fell over! I mean he is only 5'6" tall and 242 lbs.
    I already have him signed up at the gym but i have to get his diet in check quick! I will be open to any advice for a diet for a 13 year old! This is going to be tough. I will post updates.

sports.
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.59%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I have my three kids in a fitness bootcamp on every Sunday. They love it. However you said you just got custody, has he always been in your life?
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.17%

YES Me and his mother divorced 8 years ago but it took me a year and a half worth of court to get custody. He used to play sports but his mother sold all of his equipment and told them that she didn't have the money to let them play. She is a real piece of work. Long story short she ia living in a half way house now.
  8. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.59%

Ahhh well I'm not sure what your gyms policy is, but we train my 10 year old daughter with us. They let her in earlier then they wanted as long as we keep her off heavy free weights and stay with her on all machines.

Since she is still growing we keep it all light and concentrate on form. She also takes a fish oil supp. Just 1 a day. We tried the kids versions of it, but lol they all tasted horrible.
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.66%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Best of luck - awesome for getting on this weight issue now and not when he's 25 or 30 and 300+lbs.
  10. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.3%

To be honest I would be rather relaxed and ease into it. I have found with myself that if I go too hardcore with anything I quit too quickly as it becomes difficult.

Old habits die hard, but they do die slowly...

I would recommend:

1. Get rid of pop, if he wants one make it one a day or on the weekends

2. Up water to be the main source of fluids - 2 gals a day or ramp up to.

3. Have the focus on about 3 to 4 ounces of protein a meal with a 2 ounces or so of carbs. I usually don't weigh everything but go with a little meat and a smaller portion of carbs.

4. Join fitday and calculate your diet or do it here on AM

5. Lead by example.

I would recommend not cutting out all the stuff he loves but cutting down to begin with and then gradually replacing the crappy stuff with good stuff like instead of full fat ice cream things like mango smoothies(easy to make 1 frozen container of yogourt, mango juice in a can, Frozen mango pieces, water and blend...mmm yummy)

Go to the recipe section and also here:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/train...n-s-where.html
  11. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.41%

Quote Originally Posted by neoborn View Post
    To be honest I would be rather relaxed and ease into it. I have found with myself that if I go too hardcore with anything I quit too quickly as it becomes difficult.

Old habits die hard, but they do die slowly...

I would recommend:

1. Get rid of pop, if he wants one make it one a day or on the weekends

2. Up water to be the main source of fluids - 2 gals a day or ramp up to.

3. Have the focus on about 3 to 4 ounces of protein a meal with a 2 ounces or so of carbs. I usually don't weigh everything but go with a little meat and a smaller portion of carbs.

4. Join fitday and calculate your diet or do it here on AM

5. Lead by example.

I would recommend not cutting out all the stuff he loves but cutting down to begin with and then gradually replacing the crappy stuff with good stuff like instead of full fat ice cream things like mango smoothies(easy to make 1 frozen container of yogourt, mango juice in a can, Frozen mango pieces, water and blend...mmm yummy)

Go to the recipe section and also here:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/train...n-s-where.html
    great advice!
  12. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.59%

Make it fun for him. Thats most important. My daughter loves to train. Find the fitness niche that he is in to, mine are in bootcamp and they all want to join martial arts.
  13. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.44%

My suggestion would be keep doing what you are doing however be very careful. I do not think bringing him to a doctor will help. All he needs is a little guidance at home. parents in todays world let their kids get fat and do nothing. I applaud you for actually taking the first step and wanting to help your kid. However do not force it down his throat. Teaching him how to eat healthy and why it is important is a key role. Get him involved in sports that will reqiure him to stay in shape if he likes sports. Stay involved and keep doing what you are doing

Great job man keep us updated
  14. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.3%

Do not require of him / them anything you are not willing to do yourself

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-14-2011, 01:29 PM