Fat kid, motivated and needs help...Track and Contribute to the mission

camaro of solar

Awards
Ok in the past I have always been "the fat kid". Never really mattered too much what I did or didn't do. It wasn't until recently that I have actually felt fat. All my life ive still played soccer, some football, JROTC Fitness SpecOPS, basketball, etc. But the past 2 years in college Ive gotten in a bad rutt due to a few girlfriends that I stayed in the bed with more than doing anything outside. I always have seemed to gain strength fast any time I work at the gym (especially lower back and lats). Longest consecutive term of working out was about a year of 4 days a week liftng and some bike/jogging. What I want to do is turn this fat into some muscle. At the moment I am not too concerned with being cut and defined so much as hardening up this blubber. I need some help picking out a diet and work out regiment to go by. I am open to anything! I want this gone and I want to harden up. I am also into SCUBA diving so loosing this fat will help wonders.

my main starter questions would be "Where is a good place to find a diet that will be conductive to muscle gain and fat loss?" I know that sounds pretty generic, but is there any place that has a typical run down of a good diet for this? like ive seen 100's of books on the Atkin's diet, southbeach, etc. but not sure if either of those is what I am looking for. I dont care if its even a liquid only diet at this point.

"What is a good exercise regiment?" Ive read on here that cardio everyday can actually burn up muscle building potential, does this remain true for someone who is obese?

what suppliments are good to assist with the a diet and exercise plan that I may choose to help me loose weight and gain some muscle?

Also when it comes to lifting weights, where is somewhere that I can read up on tips on how to maximize what I am doing and get the best results for each work out I do.

info on me:
6'3"
310lbs (50lbs less than I was in August)
24 years old

sorry for the epic post, just want people to know I am serious and not just dabbling around. Any help is greatly appreciated!

bigrabbit

Awards
Great to see you have yourself some motivation, i will come back and answer this later but have a look at other threads as well :)

camaro of solar

Awards
started my new life today.
30 Mins of Bike at mid resistence level
lat pull downs 1st set was 130 2nd 145 3rd 130.
Seated Chest press @ 130lbs for 4 sets.
Seated Fly @ 130 for 3 sets.
Seated Row @ 200 for 4 sets.
Standing Curls @ 30lbs for 3 sets.
Stretched out after wards and got a little dizzy, again due to lack of fuel.
****each set is atleast 8 but i try for 10-14 if I can
I wanted to do more, but I was just totally out of energy due to not having eaten. If there something that I can eat or drink after doing my cardio to quickly fuel up for lifting? I would really like to get everything done at one session at the gym due to my school/work/study schedule.

Also for next Monday, what would be some good exercises to add to what I have? What about Wed when I plan on going again what should I do? I was thinking the Bikes, Leg Press, Lat Fly, reverse lat fly (duno what this is called?), Not sure of the name but you put your arms up in an L shape on either side and Close them together to meet in front of you works armpits and shoulders a little, Another one i don't know name of that you start with both hands behind you head and pull forward towards your naval. How does this sound? and what should I possibly add to this?

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I would recommend your cardio after you lift.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
if I do cardio after lifting what should i do to warm up for lifting? Just do some good stretches?
Maybe 5 minutes of cardio preworkout to get the blood moving. Also warm up sets; high rep, low weight. Post workout stretch out the muscle groups you used for that workout and throw in 15 to 30 minutes of cardio.

That's awsome that you're already down 50lb. Good luck though man.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you should really look at existing workout routines. Ones that completely spell out all the exercises to do on which days. Most of the bigger well known ones come from professionals, so they are well structured. You probably should look at GBC (german body composition), madcow 5x5, Body For Life, and maybe SAIS. As far as diets go, surprisingly south beach is pretty decent for loss of fat while gaining muscle, and easy since they sell the frozen stuff everywhere.

camaro of solar

Awards
I will look into the southbeach diet. I have head its similar to the Atkin's Diet which I have done well with in the past.

As for the GBC. I was looking around and I think I will give it a go. (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ryanm18.htm) is where I found a run down on it. I just have a few questions about it. My first one is on the Rep tempo, I am no sure I understand this. Does this mean like 4negative and 1 positive is 4 secs to do pulls and 1 sec to do pushes? If his is right, 1 sec seems to be pretty fast for a rep as I usually spend about 4secs when doing something like a bench press as i have been told that you should try to go a little slow. Also should I just sit and do all the sets of one movment before moving to the next, or should I do one of each and return to the top until all the sets are completed?

thanks everyone for the info so far!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My first one is on the Rep tempo, I am no sure I understand this. Does this mean like 4negative and 1 positive is 4 secs to do pulls and 1 sec to do pushes? If his is right, 1 sec seems to be pretty fast for a rep as I usually spend about 4secs when doing something like a bench press as i have been told that you should try to go a little slow. Also should I just sit and do all the sets of one movment before moving to the next, or should I do one of each and return to the top until all the sets are completed?

thanks everyone for the info so far!
yes, its slow down, and fast out. With GBC in particular, your goal is more around the body recomposition, so lower gains of muscle while loosing fat. really slow positives only have their place when you are using a TUT style (Time Under Tension). For that particular one, yes, a 3 sets of one exercise with the stated rest time inbetween sets is what you should do. the original GBC style is here (that one is somewhat modified)

http://www.trulyhuge.com/news/tips63j.htm

Either is fine, its more important that you follow a specific workout than necessarily what it is (assuming its a specific workout created by a professional that is).

camaro of solar

Awards
excellent EasyEJL thanks a ton for the link and your help! time to nerd up and read this thing!

camaro of solar

Awards
ok so i read over that and it looks good. I just have 3 problems.

1) I cant do a pull up. I'm embarrassed to say that, but we are talking 310lbs of unconditioned person here. What can I do instead of the pull ups?
2) I dont think I could do 1 set of the Swiss Ball Push Ups much less 4 rather quickly. what would be another exercise I could do in place of this?
3) What is the exercise called "Good Mornings"?

note:
I know my gym doesn't have the counterweighted pull up machine like my old gym did.

camaro of solar

Awards
another side note, this program seems to neglect working the abs. What would be a good program to ad in with this? or would it be ill advised to add this in with this particular work out?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

1) I cant do a pull up. I'm embarrassed to say that, but we are talking 310lbs of unconditioned person here. What can I do instead of the pull ups?
2) I dont think I could do 1 set of the Swiss Ball Push Ups much less 4 rather quickly. what would be another exercise I could do in place of this?
No need to be embarrassed about that, I could probably only do 1 or 2 unassisted. You can use the wide grip lat pulldowns as a replacement for it. not quite the same, but close enough.

you can do flat pushups, or even pushups on your knees to begin with if necessary.

good mornings look like this

really start low weightwise. like 20lb barbell if your gym has straight barbells like that.

as far as abs go, this workout routine is built around forcing lactic acid buildup so as to force more fat buring with the growth hormone release that comes after. working the abs doesn't add significant amounts of that partially because its a relatively small group of muscles, and partially because of the types of ab exercises you would normally do. Really this routine (like all others) isn't meant to do for the rest of your life :) but for 6-12 weeks, and then switch to something different. so don't worry, you'll hit the abs later. If you want to, you can throw in some situps or other ab work either on the off days or after these workouts.

Thaiclinch

Thaiclinch

Awards

note:
I know my gym doesn't have the counterweighted pull up machine like my old gym did.

As far as the pullups go if you cant find anyone to spot you and assist, then take a bench,chair etc and off set it under the bar, put 1 leg on it and have that leg assist you when necessay through the pull up.

As for the swiss ball pushups, trying putting the ball up against a wall and lean into at at a decent angle and do your pushups off the ball standing. It will still help wih that core stability and the functional strength that you will need to eventually be able to do these in the traditional fashion.

BUMP On "good mornings"

Oh by the way
:welcome:

Thaiclinch

Thaiclinch

Awards
No need to be embarrassed about that, I could probably only do 1 or 2 unassisted. You can use the wide grip lat pulldowns as a replacement for it. not quite the same, but close enough.

you can do flat pushups, or even pushups on your knees to begin with if necessary.

good mornings look like this

really start low weightwise. like 20lb barbell if your gym has straight barbells like that.

as far as abs go, this workout routine is built around forcing lactic acid buildup so as to force more fat buring with the growth hormone release that comes after. working the abs doesn't add significant amounts of that partially because its a relatively small group of muscles, and partially because of the types of ab exercises you would normally do. Really this routine (like all others) isn't meant to do for the rest of your life :) but for 6-12 weeks, and then switch to something different. so don't worry, you'll hit the abs later. If you want to, you can throw in some situps or other ab work either on the off days or after these workouts.
Lol looks like we posted at the same time, now i know good mornings to. Thanks

camaro of solar

Awards
thanks for the encouragement and info Easy !!!!

also thanks for the advise Thaiclinch!

I just finished day one on that plan and holy crap. They were not kidding. It does almost seem like a cardio in itself. When i was finished it took me about 5mins or so to get totally back to normal breathing. Now I wasnt huffing and puffing abotu to die or anyhting, but I was defiantley breathing about the same as 30 mins on a bike. The lunges were killer though, i think ill have less weight in my hands next time. Thanks a ton everyone! The comments and advise help out a ton!

As for a diet I am not sre what I want to go with jsut yet. Im starting righ tnow with eliminating sodas and anythings that I can that has refined sugar in it and went form white bread to wheat.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, you don't have to do it all in one day :) just keep making steps towards where you want to be. It really is a marathon, not a sprint, so it may take you 2 or 3 years to get where you want, or longer (as your goals may change as you get into better shape). But whats most important is making those life changes so you stay that way for good afterwards.

NolaJR

Awards
If you have trouble dropping the soda, try drinking something like crystal light. Its sweet tasting but only 5 calories per 8oz glass. Some people will say drink water but I was raised on Coke, so I need something sweet to drink when I eat meals. If you like lemonaid they make a great one. Good luck and I commend you for taking action.

Jonny

camaro of solar

Awards
Hey guys, just got back from a Diving trip in the Keys. I think I have successfully dropped sodas now and Monday afternoon I am back at the gym. Also managed to keep my appetite under control and ate normal portions while on the trip. The only "sugary" kinda things I had was 1 gator aide on the way back, 1 red bull, and 1 rockstar over the past week+. Red meat I have not totally kicked out, but about 80-90% on the way there. So I am getting the psychology down to make some permanent changes, rather than something that I will undo within a week.

also on a side note...if going to Miami or Key West doesn't make someone want to loose weight and get in shape....I dunno what else can be used as a motivator!

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Sounds like a great start!! The blue low carb monster is a good one! I still drink those:(

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thats the spirit, its all about making the changes for life! it took a while to get where you are, its ok if it takes some time to get to where you want to be.

camaro of solar

Awards
ok so, im lookign around for a good diet to go on to match well with trying to build strength. I was thinking Atkins would be good due to the high protein and such, but ive been on this before with a load of scucess, and what kills me every time is the lack of variety, its like meat, cheese, salad and that gets old pretty quick.

I was looking at south beach, and am still holding that into consideration. Anyone have good links to a meal plan for the southbeach?

Also Does anyone have a good diet plan that I can go by to burn fat and build muscle? Even if its strict on what you eat every day, I am fine with that, jsut so long as there is some kinda of variation over the day.

camaro of solar

Awards
been away for awhile. Got caught up in school, exams, etc. and didnt get the reasearch done that I needed inorder to keep things going how I wanted them to!

I am still determind to fight this the right way and make changes, dispite some people´s recomendations that I look into Lapband and/or crash dieting again.

Right now I am outside the country working on becoming a Divemaster and have plenty of time on my hands while I wait for the boat to be repaired.

What I am wanting to plan is a diet and exercise routine that I can and will follow while attending class. The GBC didnt seem to give me all of what I wanted. This could be due to not having a proper supporting diet or stress/anxiety/etc. but I dont know. It worked great in conditioning but did very little for strength gains and weight loss.

What are some other plans that would be good? A classmate was tlakign abotu a 10x10 being his choice, but i would like some other suggestions as well.

What I would like to do is Loose 90lbs as fast as possible, and then continue fat loss until I am satisfied. From that point on it will be maintence of my diet and exercise to keep me in a happy health and active range. Strength and Stamina are both big goals as well (more of both I have the less air consumption I have underwater), but who on this site isnt looking for both of those? As breifly mentioned above, I have received many (non professional) recomendations that I look into Lapband or hop back onto Atkins or some other diet. I have a hard time thinking about doing either as Lapband is just a way to FORCE me to do what I want/can do on my own and Atkins is nothing long term both in practice and in results. I need a diet and exercise regement that will train and or prepare me for a health lifestyle.

thanks everyone for your contributions thus far.

camaro of solar

Awards
one other side note. Any tips/tricks on cutting down on sleep. I feel I sleep waaay too much. Getting to sleep might take a little time, but once there good luck in seeing me for 9-12 hours.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Big boy you aren't going to lose a god damned thing until your diet is zoned in. 98% of weight loss is diet, chief.
Btw, you can do atkins long term. Everyone who says it's unsafe is full of ****.

camaro of solar

Awards
yea. I am trying to figure something out with the diet and get some of these terms together and such to construct one.

Atkins is good for me in short term, but after a few months I get sick of eating basically the same things and such.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
yea. I am trying to figure something out with the diet and get some of these terms together and such to construct one.

Atkins is good for me in short term, but after a few months I get sick of eating basically the same things and such.
That's not the diets fault, that's your fault.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
If you ask me, as far as diet goes, if you only switch from unhealthy to healthy stuff it'll already help you out A TON.

Forget fat stuff, forget big portions, no fry, no butter, no sugar, no fat. Clean it up, spread it out through the day, you can still eat enough to not be hungry but you'll lose A LOT just by trimming down and changing some of the food you eat.

Try oat meal for breakfast. Try a banana for mid brunch, a protein shake, small stuff. Lunch go for grilled chicken, brown rice, sweet potatoes (baked). Tuna sandwiches work great for mid of day. A salad, vegetables, grilled chicken for dinner.

Try to eat carbs in the morning and switch up to protein to late night. Add up some salads throughout the day to take some of the room in your body. I'm not a fan of diets, but healthy eating is always great IMHO. If you switch up a little, workout, it'll come. May not be overnight but it'll probably be the best recomp stuff.

But that aside, great job man, it was a great choice on your behalf and it'll greatly improve your life, I know it did mine.

jleagle626

Awards
i think we r in the same boat. 2 months ago i was 289 and im only 5'10. now i am 261 and ive lost 10 in overall. i am not taking any supps except a protein bar every once and a while after my workout. i started eating 5 meals a day (they werent always healthy) but i started feelin more energetic. but i cut out cokes, and most fast food. if we went to McDs i got a happy meal instead of the usual, and gave the toy to some kid in there. i do 30 mins of intervals on the ellyptical and 3 exercises on just one muscle group. and i couldnt do a pullup either, but every day in the gym wen i was standing around i would try to do one, and now i can get my eyes over the bar. but now i hav hit a plateau, so now its time to change up my diet or workout. just stick with it, i know i am

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
motiv8er Evomuse 0
Cycle Logs 13
Weight Loss 13
The Neck General Chat 8
Weight Loss 14