EFA Supplement, Sesamin, etc

C0rk

C0rk

Awards
I knew that fish oil was a must, when cutting, so I bought some @ the AM store...I guess I bought a combo of Fish Oil, CLA Supreme Caps, and Sesamin.

Should I be taking all of these? What doses would be recommended for cutting? Seems like I'd be intaking a lot of fat calories, in non-food form, if I took them all...

Also, the Sesamin came in liquid form (ewww). How should I take this? Hold my nose and down it? Can I cook with it?

bludevil

bludevil

Awards
  • Established
I knew that fish oil was a must, when cutting, so I bought some @ the AM store...I guess I bought a combo of Fish Oil, CLA Supreme Caps, and Sesamin.

Should I be taking all of these? What doses would be recommended for cutting? Seems like I'd be intaking a lot of fat calories, in non-food form, if I took them all...

Also, the Sesamin came in liquid form (ewww). How should I take this? Hold my nose and down it? Can I cook with it?
Definately don't cook the sesamin. If it's like the old Avant sesamin, then is should stay referigerated. For dosing, I would go with 5-6 grams of fish oil and CLA a day (1gram of each per meal). For the sesamin I'd go with 3 pumps a day and CLA

C0rk

C0rk

Awards
Definately don't cook the sesamin. If it's like the old Avant sesamin, then is should stay referigerated. For dosing, I would go with 5-6 grams of fish oil and CLA a day (1gram of each per meal). For the sesamin I'd go with 3 pumps a day and CLA
So do you mean 12g of CLA a day, total? (1g each with fish oil and Sesamin) Also, is a "pump" 1.25 mL? Lastly, should the Sesamin/CLA be taken in between meals?

bludevil

bludevil

Awards
  • Established
So do you mean 12g of CLA a day, total? (1g each with fish oil and Sesamin) Also, is a "pump" 1.25 mL? Lastly, should the Sesamin/CLA be taken in between meals?
CLA - Take 5-6g total for the day. 1gram after each meal.
Fish Oil - Take 5 - 6g total for the day. 1 gram after each meal. Take the CLA and Fish Oil together.

Sesamin - I would only take after fatty meals.

ZoMbSta

Awards
sorry if i hijack this thread but i don't realli wanna start a new one but just got a qns here..

how important is fish oil during a cut and what role that fish oil plays?

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
Fish oil increases insulin sensitivity and turns on fat burning genes.

ALUISLUGO

Awards
what about his concern? "Seems like I'd be intaking a lot of fat calories, in non-food form, if I took them all." I too have always wondered the same thing.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
What do you mean? Of course it's calories, but I don't get the concern. If your diet is that strict just watch the fat calories from other sources and take your supplemental fats.

ZoMbSta

Awards
thanks..and is there any preference to take it in the morning or at night after dinner before going to bed?

ZoMbSta

Awards
wat u mean as often? split the dosage across the whole day?Like i'm taking 3g a day..and I just it 1g 3 times a day?

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
how important is fish oil during a cut and what role that fish oil plays?
Fish oil can promote fat loss in different ways.
1) Fish oil, more precisely, the two long-chain omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA, help ensure fatty acids are oxidized (burnt), not synthesized. Fish-oil improvement of insulin sensitivity plays an important role here. During conditions of excess calories, insulin promotes fat storage (by activating an enzyme responsible for converting carbohydrate to fat) while reducing the use of fat as fuel. Furthermore, insulin insensitivity is accompanied by the reduction in the action of hormone-sensitive lipase, responsible for the break down of stored fat and its use as fuel. By helping to improve insulin sensitivity, fish oil supports lower fat storage, promotes fat oxidation and the body's use of fat as fuel.
2) Fish oil supports appetite suppression and caloric intake.
3) Fish oil help raise our metabolic rate, leading to more fat burning.
4) All the above will be intensified when fish oil supplementation is combined with a good diet and exercise programme.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
what about his concern? "Seems like I'd be intaking a lot of fat calories, in non-food form, if I took them all." I too have always wondered the same thing.
Neil5585 is right. Fish oils are polyunsaturated fats. Healthy fats. Yet, they contain calories and count in your total caloric intake. 1g of fish oil will give you about 9 calories. Good calories!

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
wat u mean as often? split the dosage across the whole day?Like i'm taking 3g a day..and I just it 1g 3 times a day?
Split your dosage. If you are taking a total of three grammes daily, for instance, take one gramme with three different meals during the day. Preferably with meals containing some fat, as fish oil needs a fatty environment for optimal absorption.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sesamin - I would only take after fatty meals.
Huh? I thought Sesa was good avoiding fat gain from binging on high carb and junk meals?

ZoMbSta

Awards
"During conditions of excess calories, insulin promotes fat storage (by activating an enzyme responsible for converting carbohydrate to fat) while reducing the use of fat as fuel."

Fat storage only occurs during in excess cals? funny thing during my carb up period this weekend..i seem to lose muscle mass while gaining a bit of fat...

my weekend diet was like only 2 meals with each meal definitely less than 1000 cals...so i should still be in deficit? however i did go to bed immediately after my brunch and my dinner was between 8 to 10...both meals full of carbs fats and proteins...any reason for that lost in muscle mass and gain in fats? thanks

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
"During conditions of excess calories, insulin promotes fat storage (by activating an enzyme responsible for converting carbohydrate to fat) while reducing the use of fat as fuel."

Fat storage only occurs during in excess cals? funny thing during my carb up period this weekend..i seem to lose muscle mass while gaining a bit of fat...

my weekend diet was like only 2 meals with each meal definitely less than 1000 cals...so i should still be in deficit? however i did go to bed immediately after my brunch and my dinner was between 8 to 10...both meals full of carbs fats and proteins...any reason for that lost in muscle mass and gain in fats? thanks
One answer would have to do with the quality of the calories you consumed. The source of your calories is important. As you know, calories from French Fries, for instance, are qualitatively inferior from calories from almonds, without implying you consumed French Fries :D. Yet, even when both meals are "full of carbs and proteins", whether the carbohydrates would end up more or less as fat would depend not only on the total amount you consumed but also on the type of carbohydrates.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
I'm curious how you know you gained fat and lost muscle while carbing up.

*EDIT - Sorry I had that backwards.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Could be water weight and water softens and masks muscle mass making you look smooth

ZoMbSta

Awards
I'm curious how you know you gained fat and lost muscle while carbing up.

*EDIT - Sorry I had that backwards.
im puzzled about that too..that's y im asking...measured yesterday towards the end of the carbup period...my arms was smaller measured by measuring tape and abs looked visibly less defined than friday..last day where i was havin no carb..

ZoMbSta

Awards
One answer would have to do with the quality of the calories you consumed. The source of your calories is important. As you know, calories from French Fries, for instance, are qualitatively inferior from calories from almonds, without implying you consumed French Fries :D. Yet, even when both meals are "full of carbs and proteins", whether the carbohydrates would end up more or less as fat would depend not only on the total amount you consumed but also on the type of carbohydrates.

No french fries...lunch was a curry meal with lots of gravy..a dish made out of coconut milk and cooked with chicken..it's spicy..dinner was japanese food...sushi, and plenty of seafood..ended it with ben and jerry ice cream..abt 1 scoop or less...

To Whacked: I doubt it would be the water..had little water throughout the day as a trainer told me to have less water during carbup as it will bloat me up...hav water when i feel the thirst onli...and some gatorade and 100plus during and after the 1hr soccer session i had...could it be that darn sugar from the sweet drinks?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No french fries...lunch was a curry meal with lots of gravy..a dish made out of coconut milk and cooked with chicken..it's spicy..dinner was japanese food...sushi, and plenty of seafood..ended it with ben and jerry ice cream..abt 1 scoop or less...

To Whacked: I doubt it would be the water..had little water throughout the day as a trainer told me to have less water during carbup as it will bloat me up...hav water when i feel the thirst onli...and some gatorade and 100plus during and after the 1hr soccer session i had...could it be that darn sugar from the sweet drinks?
Your trainer is an idiot; you should take in more water to reduce bloat. Most cheat foods are going to contain a lot of sodium and with inadequate water consumption, you are going to retain a lot of sodium/water.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Drinking more water even helps increase our metabolic rate - an important result for weight loss!

C0rk

C0rk

Awards
Unless you are cutting for a competition, there is almost never a reason to decrease your water intake.

The more water you drink, long-term, the less water your body retains because you are basically telling it that it will get plenty of water so there's no reason to horde it...Just like eating 6 meals a day tells your body it gets plenty of food so no need to horde it (ie turn it to fat).

NOTE: This is not to say that you can drink an unlimited amount of water...See: Water Intoxication & Hyponatremia

Last edited: