Body Fat % Pics (15%, 12%, 10%, 7-9%)

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
The following is taken from another board...it gives a generalized visual of 4 different levels of male bodyfat percentages:

Hard - 15%

Some muscle separation appears between delts and upper arm. Abs are still not visible. Approximately 15% bodyfat.

Here's a picture of Railz in the Hard state:

15.jpg

Cut - 12%

More muscle separation appears particularly in the chest and back, outline of the abs begins to appear slightly. Approximate bodyfat level = 12%

Here's are 2 examples of Abdominator in the Cut state:

12a.jpg
12b.jpg

Defined - 10%

Muscle separations get deeper in the arms, chest, legs and back, and abs appear when flexed. Approx. bodyfat level = 10%

Here's an example of Abdominator in the Defined state:

10.jpg

Ripped - 7-9%

Abs are clearly visible all the time, vascularity in arms is prominent, chest and back separation is obvious, and face is starting to appear more angular. Condition can be held indefinitely. Approximate bodyfat level = 7-9%

Here are some examples of the Ripped state:

Railz & Abdominator:

7-9a.jpg
7-9b.jpg

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Nice visual reference. Thanks :thumbsup: :goodpost:

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
datBtrue ur posts/threads make me happy. :)

JDF

Awards
  • Established
awesome post bro, reps for putting something like this together. helps to give me a better idea of where im at

propho

Awards
  • Established
thank you for this.. i must be around 40%

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Remember that this is not written in stone. For example, I am sub-9%, but still do not have abs that rival some of these pics.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Did these guys use calipers or float tank testing to determine their bf%?

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
As Rodja pointed out everyone is different...we all hold fat a little differently.

Here is an example of 15% bodyfat where more fat is held in the lower abs. I think this guy was measured using hydrostatic testing...after he'd lost 20 pounds to get down to this level.

436191131_0ca14c9160.jpg

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
This is an interesting set of photos of a crossfit trainer named Maximus Lewin. I don't know what method he used, but he is experienced in measuring bodyfat for his clients...

He achieved the following over the course of almost one year:
1.jpg
2.jpg

12/12/05 210 lbs 30% bodyfat 147 lbs lean -------- 12/12/06 181 lbs 18% bodyfat 148.5 lbs lean

3.jpg
4.jpg

11/01/07 171 lbs 14% bodyfat 147 lbs lean -------- 11/15/07 168 lbs 13% bodyfat 146 lbs lean

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Thanks man. Now i know for sure im definitely over 20% bf...............today WAS my off day. time to go hit the treadmill.

datBtrue

datBtrue

Awards
  • Established
Here is a client (Karl Slater) of trainer John Hansen. His bodyfat was measured using
the Hydrostatic Weighing Body Composition Test so it should be fairly accurate.

Karl_before_front.jpg
Karl_before_side.jpg
Karl_front_after2.jpg
Karl_after_side.jpg

Bodyweight 165 lbs 19.4% bodyfat - Bodyweight 159 lbs 14.6% bodyfat

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
You can't determine bf% by abs alone. Everyone carries fat differently so what it comes down to is don't worry so much about the number. Focus more on how you look in the mirror and use numbers like your weight and bf% as tools for figuring out whether your cutting properly.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
I'm probably easy 25 - 30% bf then :(

Not for long :)

Everett

Awards
Hi,
No need to worry 25 is not a big figure....
you can control it easily but need some good ambitions towards success...
Thanks

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Wow. Old thread. Good thread, but old thread.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
people really need to read this before they go around tellin theyre 10%

Stagex

Stagex

Awards
last week i got to witness how its true..everyone is diffrent.
my buddy got tested using a super accurate method --- the bodpod.
and he is 9.5% bf and you cant see his abss.
its crazy... he does have a weird body compisition.. hes holding all his fat in his abdominal area/hips.
everything else is super lean.

so yeah everyone is definitely different...
i will try to get some pics of him.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
its crazy... he does have a weird body compisition.. hes holding all his fat in his abdominal area/hips.

It truly sucks.

I am that way as well... My arms have veins popping all over, my legs have no fat, I have a hard time pinching something for the caliper test, yet, my chest and abs? Wow...

Just to give an idea: Pinching arms, legs and whatnot for the caliper test, I get roughly around the 10 - 15 mark. Pinching my abs? 25 - 30...

Probably all left over from being chubby as a teenager and it hunts me till this day. One day I'll just liposuck the **** out of it and call it good.

jlinteris

jlinteris

Awards
It truly sucks.

I am that way as well... My arms have veins popping all over, my legs have no fat, I have a hard time pinching something for the caliper test, yet, my chest and abs? Wow...

Just to give an idea: Pinching arms, legs and whatnot for the caliper test, I get roughly around the 10 - 15 mark. Pinching my abs? 25 - 30...

Probably all left over from being chubby as a teenager and it hunts me till this day. One day I'll just liposuck the **** out of it and call it good.
Exactly the same body style as me. Even when I bulk I have veiny arms, veiny quads/calves, a lean back and store ALL my fat right in my gut. The time I get abs the rest of my body is shredded before I am even half way there. I have lost 20 pounds in the last 38 days on a keto, back has noticable leaned out and still no abs. BOOOO

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awesome thread. Obviously you don't need me to agree with what you said (the numbers were backed with tests), but this is basically the breakdown of bf% and body composition aesthetics. Reps

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What about the shredded pictures of 5-7% bf, or the sliced 3-4%?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

keep in mind the bodpod is only accurate if he went in fasted, and had taken a crap already that morning. If he ate or even drank water, it could be off significantly.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Jesus, I can't even start to imagine / dream about a 7%... Seriously, I would **** a brick if I ever made it to 11%.

Perhaps with better genetics in a different life I'll get there ;)

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
need to sub to this, good frame of reference

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
God, going below 5 is just unhealthy. 3% and bumping into a table on your side could cause massive hemorrhaging in your organs.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
6. Shredded = Striations appear in large muscle groups when they are flexed. You look small in clothes, but look fantastic when you're not. Vascularity appears in lower abdomen and in the legs. Condition can be held for several days with careful dieting. Competitive bodybuilders often aim for this state for competition day. Approximate bodyfat level = 5-7%

Here are some example of the Shredded state:

ShaneG85: http://images-cdn.anabolicminds.com/image404.jpg

Freaker: http://images-cdn.anabolicminds.com/image404.jpg

Abdominator: http://images-cdn.anabolicminds.com/image404.jpg

7. Sliced = Muscles and tendons begin to appear in the face when chewing, striations appear everywhere and vascularity appears everywhere. Bodyfat levels are close to 3% and subcutaneous water levels are near 0. Condition can only be held for a few hours at a time. Not a healthy condition to stay in due to lower water level.

Here's an example of someone in the Sliced state:

http://images-cdn.anabolicminds.com/image404.jpg

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Links aren't working my good man.

azbetterman

Awards
So I imagine the over the counter bathroom scales with the BF detector is not so accurate?

flw

flw

Awards
cool thread, depressing but cool! makes me realize how much of a fat f^&K I am!! :whiner:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Part of what these pics don't tell is how different someone 5'10" and 10% bodyfat looks at 150,170,190,210 etc pounds

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
last pics of the first post seem to be under 7% bf
Yeah, Abdominator does seem to be around 5% in that one with that oblique definition. I guess there's some extra hidden elsewhere though??

Part of what these pics don't tell is how different someone 5'10" and 10% bodyfat looks at 150,170,190,210 etc pounds
That's a good point. I'm always surprised seeing really heavy dudes hit under 10%. They seem to be leaner than they actually are.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Holly balls on that last pic... Now that's just absurd.

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Ok, so random question, a skinny person, how much body fat would you say they are? Cause they don't carry much fat, but they got no muscle to balance it out.

So say a little bugger just like this: (randomly taken from the net googling skinny dude)

About how much bodyfat would we be talking about here?

azbetterman

Awards
I just got some calipers and a body tape that I'll be putting to use to track my transformation.
I know there's a margin of error in just about any type of BF% with the exception of a water tank (from what I hear).

sumitahuja

Awards
Great Post and Such nice reference. :dance: