weight loss and toning

njsweetheart

Awards
i want to lose around 10lbs and tone up ( specifically lower abs, thighs and butt ). i go to the gym 4-5 days a week, doing 20min of cardio on the eliptical machine, 4 sets of 25 crunches, 3 sets of 15 leg lifts, i also work my outer and inner thighs, as well as my hamstrings and quads. i've tried this for 2 months along with a very strict diet, but didn't really see any results or lose that much weight. i'm going on vacation in a month and i really want to tone up and reach my goal by that time and keep the weight off, but it feels like nothing i do is working. i was looking into hoodia gordonii to give me a boost to reach my goal, but i'm really not sure. any suggestions on workout plans or supplements would be greatly appreciated =)

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Do you do any resistance training?

I am guessing that you are female, true?

Post up your workout and daily diet.

njsweetheart

Awards
yes i am female, and i do resistance training.

my workout consists of:
20mins eliptical cardio
4 sets of 25 crunches
3 sets of 15 leg lifts
3 sets of 10 (50lb) hamstring leg curl machine
3 sets of 10 (75lb) leg extension machine
3 sets of 10 (80lb) inner thigh adductor machine
3 sets of 10 (80lb) outer thigh abductor machine
2 sets of 15 hyperextensions

as for my diet, i think i eat pretty healthy.. i usually have special k with fat free milk for breakfast, turkey and chicken breast on whole wheat bread for lunch, and usually a grill chicken breast w/ veggies and sometimes beans or pasta.. i mostly drink a lot of water. i also have apples and grapes with the occasionally snack, like pretzels or candy, every now and then

avenue Red

Awards
i would say cut out the pretzels/candy definately. try and drink about 1-1.5 gallon of water a day. what kind of pasta are you eating? try and switch to whole wheat. i wouldnt eat it for dinner thats kind of late for all the carbs. and invest in some whey protein. 1 scoop with 8oz. water for your snack should be good. easy snacks like celery/baby carrots/hard boiled eggs. and up the cardio about 30-45min. you should see a difference in like 2 weeks

njsweetheart

Awards
thanks.. would it be better to do like 2 days of 30-45min cardio and then 3 days 20min cardio + working out?

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Too much concentration on the legs it seems. Increase the cardio and vary your resistance training a bit. Try whole body workouts 3 times a week and longer cardio sesions on oposite days of your whole body workouts.

njsweetheart

Awards
i dont work out my upper body i get that exercise from waitressing and lifting heavy trays

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
i dont work out my upper body i get that exercise from waitressing and lifting heavy trays
You might want to rethink that considering the more muscle you work the more energy you burn.

KSMA

KSMA

Awards
my workout consists of:
20mins eliptical cardio
4 sets of 25 crunches
3 sets of 15 leg lifts
3 sets of 10 (50lb) hamstring leg curl machine
3 sets of 10 (75lb) leg extension machine
3 sets of 10 (80lb) inner thigh adductor machine
3 sets of 10 (80lb) outer thigh abductor machine
instead of doing your cardio first you could either A: do all your lifting then do your cardio, many studies have shown this to increase fat loss because you use most or all of your glycogen stores lifting, leaving only fat for energy when you do the cardio or
B: change to a circuit style training for instance
4 sets of 25 crunches
3-5 min of high intensity cardio (i.e. fast run on treadmill)
3 sets of 20 hamstring leg curl machine
3-5 min of HI cardio
3 sets of 20 leg extension machine
3-5 min HI cardio
3 sets of 20 inner adductor machine
3-5 min HI cardio
3 sets of 20 outer abductor machine
3-5 min of HI cardio
3 sets of 15 leg lifts
10 min of moderate intensity cardio

In option B you would go for higher repetitions with slightly lower weights because that is were you will reach fat burning potential. At 10 reps you are more in a strength building range. Throwing the cardio in between sets keeps things going, adds intensity to the workout, and keeps your heart rate up during your weight sets. You would end doing 25-35 minutes of cardio total, but it would not be as mind numbing as 20 min all at once.

My wife just started this kind of work out added to her weight watchers diet and has shedded 13 pounds over the last 5 weeks and a noticable difference of tone in her butt. ;)

KSMA

KSMA

Awards
also i do agree with jonny and Tbone it would benefit you to add in some upper body training. The more muscle you use, the more calories you burn, the more fat you lose from all over your body.

Last edited:

njsweetheart

Awards
i would try the cardio inbetween lifting, but i go to ballys in nyc and theres 2 floors and its always busy so it would be hard to go up and down the stairs and then find a treadmill or something, but maybe ill try the cardio afterwards

njsweetheart

Awards
i would try the cardio inbetween lifting, but i go to ballys in nyc and theres 2 floors and its always busy so it would be hard to go up and down the stairs and then find a treadmill or something, but maybe ill try the cardio afterwards

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
...many studies have shown this to increase fat loss because you use most or all of your glycogen stores lifting, leaving only fat for energy when you do the cardio...
Please post some, I would like to review.

KSMA

KSMA

Awards
Please post some, I would like to review.
I dont have studies lying around on hand, or immediates links to them. I guess the better way to put that would have been that I have read in many magazines and articles posted online that it works. Pardon me.:nono:

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I dont have studies lying around on hand, or immediates links to them. I guess the better way to put that would have been that I have read in many magazines and articles posted online that it works. Pardon me.:nono:
oh well, always looking for extra data. Thanks anyway.

GymRat5972

GymRat5972

Awards
I would do HIIT training and like Johnny said hit the weights/machines. Try a full body workout takes like 55 min to do. Monday, Wed, Friday. On Tues, Wed, Thur. do you HIIT trining on the tradmill or Elyptical.(35-40 min) Watch the Candy, cut it out, Lots of H20 and watch the carbs at night. Smaller meals, more frequently. Just my .2

njsweetheart

Awards
do i lift after the HIIT? should i rotate lunges and step ups with the leg machines?

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
nah do hiit by itself, lift on another day, or at least a few hours apart.

have you been doing squats or leg presses? Try them if you haven't they work out most of your legs pretty damn well.