Ideal Time to Instigate HIIT?

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
First off I just wanted to say this is not a "how to" thread on HIIT, but rather just seeking some information on productive/potentially counter productive times to utilize it (just wanted to throw that in with the abundance of HIIT threds.)

Basically I'm trying to get down to around 7-8% bf for summer and remain there from then on. I have been in a sense "bulking" for the past few months and on Monday I will be beginning the road.

Essentially what I am planning on doing over the next 3 months is to combine empty stomach static 65% max hr with intense HIIT training. Heres what I was thinking of doing

Monday: Back/no cardio
Tuesday: Empty stomach cardio at 130 bpm with mega-dosed BCAA (8 scoops of Xtend taken in before/during)
Wednesday: Triceps/Abs. Following this would be a 5 min warm up with 15 minutes of HIIT then 2 min cool down (8 scoops Xtend taken during lift and cardio)
Thursday: Legs
Friday: Biceps/Shoulders. Same HIIT routine as Wednesday
Saturday: Same as Tuesday
Sunday: Chest/Abs. No cardio.

This is a rough outline of what I was thinking, but after reading some threads on the board I'm a little bit worried. Will I be at a raised risk of muscle catabolism during my HIIT sessions because glycogen has been depleted while lifting? From the people who use HIIT here for both fat loss/athletic ability is this similar to something you use or potentially would?

Side notes if it matters: When I start in March I will not be on a low carb but still taking in around 30-35% carbs for at least 3-4 weeks. I will then switch to a CKD to try and get the last few % digits off over the final two months. Also I'm sitting around 215 and think 195-200 would bring me to around 7-8% so I'm looking to take my time with this cut to sacrifice 0 to -10% muscle:D. Last side note is diet will be 100% in check so its down to the training at this point.

Any help/ problems you guys see that I don't would be a major help (if there is any.)

Thanks guys.

Hitstick

Hitstick

Awards
I do HIIT after lifting. Ive done it that way for about 3 weeks and im still making strength gains, so im thinking i havent lost that much muscle. Im down 10 pounds in those 3 weeks. I do drink BCAAs (xtend also), and lift as heavy as possible.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Is HIIT the only cardio you are doing? Also if you don;t mind me asking are you still taking in carbs or are you on a type of CKD? I guess I'm most concerned about the HIIT once I start in on CKD.

ZoMbSta

Awards
HIIT can still be done on CKD/AD type of diet....however u need to be extra careful...catabolism sets in easier than with carbs...and ur CKD might be a tat less explosive than on a diet with carbs...